Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

TPU Tubes

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

TPU Tubes

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-23, 09:02 PM
randallr

Bikes: 2017 Gunnar CrossHairs Rohloff, 2022 Detroit Bikes Cortello

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 89 Posts
I've had great results for the past couple of years with Schwalbe Aerothan. One slow leak which I patched. Great quality control in their manufacturing.
Likes For randallr:
Old 03-24-23, 08:48 AM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1395 Post(s)
Liked 1,870 Times in 1,075 Posts
Originally Posted by Caliwild
I was using TPU tubes exclusively on my clincher rim brake bikes... I loved how they felt. But, after multiple punctures during an especially-brutal winter in Southern California (and the associated crappy roads), I switched to tubeless and have been much happier. No more tube changes at 5 am while it's raining!
if I was riding at 5am in the rain - which I would not - I would probably use tubes with flat proof ... or something like that
Old 03-24-23, 11:08 AM
jonathanf2

Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 1,043 Times in 441 Posts
Originally Posted by Caliwild
I was using TPU tubes exclusively on my clincher rim brake bikes... I loved how they felt. But, after multiple punctures during an especially-brutal winter in Southern California (and the associated crappy roads), I switched to tubeless and have been much happier. No more tube changes at 5 am while it's raining!
The roads have been complete trash this winter in SoCal. I was also thinking going tubeless from my TPU road setup, but I ended up swapping out my lightweight 25c clinchers for some Gravelking 28c clincher slicks. They're not as fast or supple, but they've been quite durable so far with no issues.
Old 03-24-23, 02:45 PM
Caliwild

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 412 Post(s)
Liked 668 Times in 280 Posts
Originally Posted by t2p
if I was riding at 5am in the rain - which I would not - I would probably use tubes with flat proof ... or something like that
Different strokes for different folks... All good either way.
Likes For Caliwild:
Old 03-25-23, 06:26 AM
Chandne

Bikes: 2022 Moots RCS, 2014 BMC SLR01 DA Mech, 2020 Santa Cruz Stigmata, Ibis Ripmo, Trek Top Fuel, Specialized Levo SL, Norco Bigfoot VLT

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 118 Posts
I am running tubeless on one, getting ready to covert the other to tubeless, but I run tubes or yet another bike. I want to carry whatever is more compact since my storage space is limited. The butyl tube takes up a ton of space. Are latex tubes as compact as TPU when rolled up or folded? They will just be a backup for my road and gravel bikes. I need a couple that got from 28-32 and one that goes from 38-45 or so.
Old 03-25-23, 07:12 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3132 Post(s)
Liked 1,700 Times in 1,027 Posts
Originally Posted by Chandne
Are latex tubes as compact as TPU when rolled up or folded?
No, TPU are much more compact than latex tubes.
Likes For chaadster:
Old 03-25-23, 08:26 AM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Quoted: 1395 Post(s)
Liked 1,870 Times in 1,075 Posts

TPU is used in a lot of areas - including diapers (I believe ?)

around 10 years or so ago I became aware of TPU in football helmet padding - TPU was superior at the time ...

our youth program helmets did not have this at the time - so I got my kid his own helmet with this stuff ... did the same for middle school football ... high school program helmets then included helmets with TPU
Old 03-25-23, 12:10 PM
CrowSeph

Bikes: BMC SLR01; Cannondale Trail; Lot's of project and vintage bikes..

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 333 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 101 Posts
I was looking for a long term review, curious if those tpu last at least.
Also i have them on my fav list of aliexp, i'll buy them when the race season will end.
Old 03-25-23, 08:00 PM
ebow3d

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 11 Posts
I have been using it daily for the past year or so. Done thousands of kilometres with only one flat. That flat was due to a spoke that snapped and shot through the tube. Even then, it was a slow puncture that took hours to go flat.
Likes For ebow3d:
Old 03-26-23, 09:12 AM
CrowSeph

Bikes: BMC SLR01; Cannondale Trail; Lot's of project and vintage bikes..

Quoted: 333 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 101 Posts
Originally Posted by ebow3d
I have been using it daily for the past year or so. Done thousands of kilometres with only one flat. That flat was due to a spoke that snapped and shot through the tube. Even then, it was a slow puncture that took hours to go flat.
Very interesting. How many hours per week do you cycle?
Old 03-26-23, 03:01 PM
Chandne

Bikes: 2022 Moots RCS, 2014 BMC SLR01 DA Mech, 2020 Santa Cruz Stigmata, Ibis Ripmo, Trek Top Fuel, Specialized Levo SL, Norco Bigfoot VLT

I think the Schwalbes have nylon valves. I'll need to carry a valve extender so will alloy ones still work? I have never used valve extenders nor have I used nylon valves. Will alloy extenders work on these Schwalbes? They will just be a backup tube, but it would be really useful if I can get some space back in the packs.
Old 03-26-23, 04:29 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Originally Posted by Chandne
I think the Schwalbes have nylon valves. I'll need to carry a valve extender so will alloy ones still work? I have never used valve extenders nor have I used nylon valves. Will alloy extenders work on these Schwalbes? They will just be a backup tube, but it would be really useful if I can get some space back in the packs.
Yes, you can use an alloy extender, but obviously, because of the difference in material hardness, you’ll want to take care not to stress the thread interface (as with overtightening). Like, I might prefer to use a press-on pump head rather than a thread-on one, given the choice. I don’t use extenders on mine, so I have no idea how real the risk is, but as I said, knowing nylon is softer than aluminum…

Do you know you can get Aerothans with 80mm valves? They originally released with 40mm valves only, but there are 80mm now, at least in the Race and Endurance Race models. Using a long stem should be preferable to an extender regardless of stem material.
Likes For chaadster:
Old 03-26-23, 04:32 PM
Chandne

Originally Posted by chaadster
Yes, you can use an alloy extender, but obviously, because of the difference in material hardness, you’ll want to take care not to stress the thread interface (as with overtightening). Like, I might prefer to use a press-on pump head rather than a thread-on one, given the choice. I don’t use extenders on mine, so I have no idea how real the risk is, but as I said, knowing nylon is softer than aluminum…

Do you know you can get Aerothans with 80mm valves? They originally released with 40mm valves only, but there are 80mm now, at least in the Race and Endurance Race models. Using a long stem should be preferable to an extender regardless of stem material.

good point. I’m trying to cancel or modify my order actually. I got a few for the gravel bike, road bike, and mountain bike.
Old 04-07-23, 06:36 AM
ebow3d

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by CrowSeph
Very interesting. How many hours per week do you cycle?
Somewhere between five and ten hours a week. I do ride on very smooth roads here, no potholes.
Old 09-29-23, 03:45 PM
santa fe 2926 

Bikes: 1985 Roberts SLX, Mercian 531, 1984 Torpado SLX,1981/82 Peugeot PSV-10, 1978 Charlie Roberts full touring, 1970 Charlie Roberts 531 road.

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 164 Times in 61 Posts
Decided to try some TPU tubes. First I got some Schwalbe Aerothan from BikeInn, for 23-28 tires, 41grams. Running Veloflex Corsa Race 25’s, psi at 95-100. Two nice rides of 45 and 35 miles. Intrigued by the technology, went for some Cyclami tubes off Amazon, with a steel valve, only 38g. Thought the steel valve might last longer. Anyway first ride with Veloflex Corsa 28’s, 80 psi. 18 miles and the front tire exploded, the hole being next to the end to end seam. Brought a butyl tube and my normal flat kit, but then I had nothing if the rear tube flatted. Made it home. Next day returned the tube to Amazon via Whole Foods. When I got home that afternoon, the rear tire was flat! Today the replacement arrived. Two flat tubes on one ride! Before mounting, I carefully pumped enough air to check for leaks in water, easy installation as they are so slippery, and the 28’s weren’t new. Think the new one and the flat are going back for a refund! On todays 35 mile ride the with Aerothan tubes, I carried 2 butyl tubes and repair kit, to be safe. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 09-29-23, 04:11 PM
OBoile

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 204 Posts
My bike has had TPU tubes for the last ~6 weeks. Close to 2k kms and one issue where a valve broke (so nothing to do with the TPU part).
Old 09-30-23, 05:10 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4731 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
Originally Posted by chaadster

For the cost of TPU tubes, any idea why you can't easily find these with more valve length options? I have some low 30's mm deep rims. 40mm would be too little, and 80mm too much.

Also was curious why use of plastic stems seems common for TPU tubes? If it's a good/better material, why don't we commonly see these on butyl tubes too, or if brass or Al stems are better, these put on TPU tubes?
Old 09-30-23, 07:52 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Originally Posted by Sy Reene
For the cost of TPU tubes, any idea why you can't easily find these with more valve length options? I have some low 30's mm deep rims. 40mm would be too little, and 80mm too much.

Also was curious why use of plastic stems seems common for TPU tubes? If it's a good/better material, why don't we commonly see these on butyl tubes too, or if brass or Al stems are better, these put on TPU tubes?
All the major players make 60mm valve lengths; Tubolito, Schwalbe, Pirelli, Ridenow.

I don’t have any special insight into the valve stem material question, but I suspect it’s not a question of which material is better in an absolute sense, but rather which is better in specific cases within the matrix of cost, manufacturing, and marketing goals. For all the brands out there, it’s unlikely many have in-house manufacturing, so variety in the marketplace will reflect the limits of what a few suppliers are tooled up to produce.
Old 10-01-23, 07:21 AM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 580 Times in 408 Posts
Originally Posted by santa fe 2926
Decided to try some TPU tubes. First I got some Schwalbe Aerothan from BikeInn, for 23-28 tires, 41grams. Running Veloflex Corsa Race 25’s, psi at 95-100. Two nice rides of 45 and 35 miles. Intrigued by the technology, went for some Cyclami tubes off Amazon, with a steel valve, only 38g. Thought the steel valve might last longer. Anyway first ride with Veloflex Corsa 28’s, 80 psi. 18 miles and the front tire exploded, the hole being next to the end to end seam. Brought a butyl tube and my normal flat kit, but then I had nothing if the rear tube flatted. Made it home. Next day returned the tube to Amazon via Whole Foods. When I got home that afternoon, the rear tire was flat! Today the replacement arrived. Two flat tubes on one ride! Before mounting, I carefully pumped enough air to check for leaks in water, easy installation as they are so slippery, and the 28’s weren’t new. Think the new one and the flat are going back for a refund! On todays 35 mile ride the with Aerothan tubes, I carried 2 butyl tubes and repair kit, to be safe. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Please help fellow cyclists if you can find the time by posting a review on Amazon.
Likes For easyupbug:
Old 10-02-23, 04:29 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4731 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
Originally Posted by easyupbug
Please help fellow cyclists if you can find the time by posting a review on Amazon.
What should the review say.. "Went for a ride, got a flat in my front and back tire"?

I suppose it couldn't be because both tires rode thru the same flat-causing stuff?
Likes For Sy Reene:
Old 10-02-23, 04:48 PM
Biker Pete 

Bikes: Kestrel Legend SL, Motobecane Grand Record

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 45 Posts
I’ve got about 600 miles on Conti GP5000 with 36g RideNow TPU tubes. No issues.
Old 10-03-23, 04:50 AM
yaw
should be more popular

Bikes: 22 Emonda

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 84 Posts
Zero flats for over 6,000km on the yellow Pirelli TPU tubes with GP5000 clinchers on carbon disc wheels.

I like them all around.
Likes For yaw:
Old 10-03-23, 05:11 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Quoted: 983 Post(s)
Liked 583 Times in 438 Posts
I did not get a chance to try them yet, but I bought some on Aliexpress to carry as spare tubes on long rides and they are really compact. They take 1/4 of a jersey pocket and you don't feel them.

I ride tubeless so I don't care if they give a comfortable ride or not, as long as they can allow me to finish my ride and get back home!
Old 10-04-23, 05:12 PM
santa fe 2926 

Bikes: 1985 Roberts SLX, Mercian 531, 1984 Torpado SLX,1981/82 Peugeot PSV-10, 1978 Charlie Roberts full touring, 1970 Charlie Roberts 531 road.

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 164 Times in 61 Posts
Originally Posted by easyupbug
posted a 1 star review of both tubes failing, with pictures.
Old 10-04-23, 07:10 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1940 Post(s)
Liked 1,464 Times in 1,013 Posts
Originally Posted by yaw
Zero flats for over 6,000km on the yellow Pirelli TPU tubes with GP5000 clinchers on carbon disc wheels.
That will be my next setup after my current tires are worn (in about a year). Any concern using these tubes within rim brake CF wheels?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.