Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

I need some more brake caliper reach for my 25c tires

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 03-27-23, 07:17 PM
drlogik 

Bikes: '87-ish Pinarello Montello; '89 Nishiki Ariel; '85 Raleigh Wyoming, '16 Wabi Special, '16 Wabi Classic, '14 Kona Cinder Cone

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 698 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 251 Posts

I have an old Pinarello Montello with full Campy. It has Delta brakes and I've always run 23c tires on the old girl but got some 25c's to see if they'd work. They do, kinda. The bike rides a lot smoother with the larger tires so I'd like to keep them...if possible.

There's very little clearance from the tires to the caliper. So little that a small stone could get wedged and cause damage, or worse. I can move the caliper up so that there's enough clearance to the tire but the pad slot doesn't have enough room to move the pads down enough so they don't rub the tires.

I don't want to grind the brake pad slots or the hanger. These are Delta Brakes after all. Anyone have a suggestion? Is there a dropper bolt available that will still fit into the frame's caliper bar recess hole? Or am I destined to put the old 23c's back on?
Old 03-27-23, 07:41 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 139 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5703 Post(s)
Liked 2,432 Times in 1,345 Posts
I've ridden for decades with less than 1mm clearance under my front caliper.

There's no problem. When the tire carries a stone up it compresses into the tire and is ejected forward with a sharp ping.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 03-27-23, 07:52 PM
drlogik 

Bikes: '87-ish Pinarello Montello; '89 Nishiki Ariel; '85 Raleigh Wyoming, '16 Wabi Special, '16 Wabi Classic, '14 Kona Cinder Cone

FB,

Yes, I've run low clearance tires over the years but if a stone goes under the Delta brake there's a better than likely chance that it's gonna scratch it or mess it up. I don't like dropper bolts but I really don't want to ruin the Delta's.
Old 03-27-23, 07:58 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2731 Post(s)
Liked 3,361 Times in 2,034 Posts
https://bdopcycling.com/product/bdop...s-pair-silver/

​​​​​​https://www.amazon.com/Aican-Aluminu.../dp/B0788ZJZ7R
Old 03-27-23, 08:04 PM
drlogik 

Ded,

Those Aican's look like they may work. Thanks for the link.
Old 03-27-23, 08:05 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3868 Post(s)
Liked 2,560 Times in 1,574 Posts
How do you guys think dropper bolts or offset brake pad holders will magically add clearance under the calipers?
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 03-27-23, 08:08 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Originally Posted by drlogik
FB,

Yes, I've run low clearance tires over the years but if a stone goes under the Delta brake there's a better than likely chance that it's gonna scratch it or mess it up. ....
Yes, but the damage will be where it can't be seen. But you might buy yourself some extra room by shaving the tops of the shoes.

That's what I do for my track bike's front brake. (track bike for road use). I use a Swiss rasp to shave a bevel, curve to follow the rim, so they're barely trimmed in the center.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Likes For FBinNY:
Old 03-27-23, 11:10 PM
Kontact

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4260 Post(s)
Liked 1,458 Times in 950 Posts
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
How do you guys think dropper bolts or offset brake pad holders will magically add clearance under the calipers?
By putting them together with a brake caliper like the Delta that has a height adjustable mounting bolt.

But dropper bolts aren't going to help.
Old 03-27-23, 11:12 PM
Kontact

You could also try putting a wedge shaped washer between the caliper and frame to make a small change to the angle of the caliper.

Get some of that clear frame protector tape and put it on the bottom of the caliper.
Likes For Kontact:
Old 03-28-23, 04:31 AM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 838 Post(s)
Liked 1,414 Times in 801 Posts
I have 2 bikes that I place extra extra washers between the caliper and the mounting hole. That gives just a bit more clearance under the fork crown. It enables going from 25mm max to 28mm tires. Does not affect the braking.
Likes For delbiker1:
Old 03-28-23, 09:34 AM
KerryIrons

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 497 Post(s)
Liked 622 Times in 346 Posts
Originally Posted by drlogik
if a stone goes under the Delta brake there's a better than likely chance that it's gonna scratch it or mess it up.
No offense, but is this a show bike or a bike to ride. When you ride a bike, things get scratched. The underside of the Deltas will get scratched but not damaged. Picture this scenario: you have 2 mm clearance so those small stones don't scratch the brakes, and then you find yourself on fresh seal coat and a much larger stone sticks to the tire and comes up and scratches the brakes. It's riding in the real world.
Likes For KerryIrons:
Old 03-28-23, 10:24 AM
grumpus

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 444 Post(s)
Liked 404 Times in 307 Posts
Originally Posted by Kontact
Get some of that clear frame protector tape and put it on the bottom of the caliper.
That was going to be my suggestion, but I wonder if a stone is more likely to embed in the heli tape and cut the tyre.
Old 03-28-23, 10:49 AM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1541 Post(s)
Liked 1,702 Times in 956 Posts
Originally Posted by Kontact
You could also try putting a wedge shaped washer between the caliper and frame to make a small change to the angle of the caliper.

Or get the kind of brake pads that have rounded cup washers which allows you to angle the brake pad- Typically in the toe-in direction, but in this case just angle it downwards.
Old 03-28-23, 11:03 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Quoted: 4745 Post(s)
Liked 3,861 Times in 2,510 Posts
A question and thought from someone who has never ridden or worked on Deltas. How far does the bottom of the brake under the bolt hang below the bike's brake bridge and fork crown? And how does this compare to a regular dual pivot?

And the thought - if the Delta is indeed lower, than perhaps this bike is best ridden with the smaller 23c tires or the brakes replaced with ones with more clearance. Perhaps running Deltas and 25c is a case of swimming upstream.

I have a Pro Miyata. 25c tires (measured) hit the Cyclone sidepulls and are very close elsewhere. 24s would give me your 1 mm. 23s fit comfortably. When I set it up it will be riding the best 23s I can get.
Old 03-28-23, 12:38 PM
Kontact

Originally Posted by 79pmooney
A question and thought from someone who has never ridden or worked on Deltas. How far does the bottom of the brake under the bolt hang below the bike's brake bridge and fork crown? And how does this compare to a regular dual pivot?

And the thought - if the Delta is indeed lower, than perhaps this bike is best ridden with the smaller 23c tires or the brakes replaced with ones with more clearance. Perhaps running Deltas and 25c is a case of swimming upstream.

I have a Pro Miyata. 25c tires (measured) hit the Cyclone sidepulls and are very close elsewhere. 24s would give me your 1 mm. 23s fit comfortably. When I set it up it will be riding the best 23s I can get.
Deltas are not particularly fussy. This is more of a brake bridge height issue.

So far my favorite solution is just adding spacers between the brake and bridge.
Old 03-28-23, 01:43 PM
FBinNY 

If you can't raise the bridge lower the water.

If I under add tand the OP's problem, it's not that the shoes don't reach, but that the brake itself is too low.

Depending on what the OP cares about most, here are 2 options

1- use a rattail file or Dremel to raise the top of the brake hole 1 or 2mm. If you work carefully, you'll make a racetrack oval, so the brake can be moved up, but still kept on axis.

2- fashion a 1 o r 2mm shim for the top of the dropout so the wheel is pushed down. You can use something like copper tubing, or aluminum of the right thickness, and some glue to keep it in place. Once a wheel is there, th we axle will keep it home. The beauty of this is that it's easily reversed at any time.

BTW regarding the advice to space the brake out from the fork ---- that will only make things worse, because the tire rises forward of the fork.

Last edited by FBinNY; 03-28-23 at 02:11 PM.
Old 03-28-23, 03:18 PM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 838 Post(s)
Liked 1,414 Times in 801 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
If you can't raise the bridge lower the water.

If I under add tand the OP's problem, it's not that the shoes don't reach, but that the brake itself is too low.

Depending on what the OP cares about most, here are 2 options

1- use a rattail file or Dremel to raise the top of the brake hole 1 or 2mm. If you work carefully, you'll make a racetrack oval, so the brake can be moved up, but still kept on axis.

2- fashion a 1 o r 2mm shim for the top of the dropout so the wheel is pushed down. You can use something like copper tubing, or aluminum of the right thickness, and some glue to keep it in place. Once a wheel is there, th we axle will keep it home. The beauty of this is that it's easily reversed at any time.

BTW regarding the advice to space the brake out from the fork ---- that will only make things worse, because the tire rises forward of the fork.
I can state as fact that putting the washers between the calipers and the mounting hole of the crown gave me enough space under the calipers to increase max tires from 25mm to 28mm. I do not remember what source that idea came from, but it surely worked on 2 different bikes.
Likes For delbiker1:
Old 03-28-23, 06:58 PM
Kontact

Originally Posted by delbiker1
I can state as fact that putting the washers between the calipers and the mounting hole of the crown gave me enough space under the calipers to increase max tires from 25mm to 28mm. I do not remember what source that idea came from, but it surely worked on 2 different bikes.
It is going to be more effective on the rear than the front. But it is easy enough to try and see.