Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Shimano 600EX SIS Freewheel Hub Measurements for calculating spoke length

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 03-27-23, 06:01 PM
VintageSteelEU

Bikes: Motobecane C41, Matsu$hita Nashonaru

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 420 Times in 246 Posts

I'm planning to get Shimano FH-6207 and HB-6207, or whatever the nomenclature is for 600 EX SIS hubs ( Velobase page ) in freewheel version and lace them to Mavic MA2 rims I have (currently with basic Maillard hubs) to take my daily ride fully into mid-80's. I will be going with the freewheel version, because Uniglide casettes are not that easy to find within a budget I'm willing to spend on this conversion and I have several freewheels I can use. Building a new wheel on these hubs will of course require getting spokes in the correct length, so before I order them / check what I have already, I need to know measurements for the hubs (locknuts to flanges, flanges to centre, NDS flange diameter and DS flange diameter for both front and rear hubs). I suspect they might be the same or very close to later Exage hubs or 6400 hubs, but of course I'm not sure. Could someone who has these hubs kindly measure them and share the measurements? Many thanks in advance!
Old 03-27-23, 06:15 PM
Kontact 

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4330 Post(s)
Liked 1,514 Times in 988 Posts
https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...imensions.html
Likes For Kontact:
Old 03-27-23, 06:44 PM
VintageSteelEU

Thank you! I was trying to find this info, but somehow forum search in my case didn't return anything...
Old 03-29-23, 01:17 AM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1785 Post(s)
Liked 1,259 Times in 868 Posts
Excuse the parallax-
I think you'll get the idea though.
Old 03-29-23, 09:03 AM
Steel Charlie

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 523 Times in 275 Posts
The Sheldon Brown calculator has everything you need.

sheldonbrown.com
Old 03-29-23, 12:24 PM
VintageSteelEU

Originally Posted by Steel Charlie
The Sheldon Brown calculator has everything you need.

sheldonbrown.com
Except the 600EX FH-6207 for me
Got the front one already, hunting for the rear will take some time. But will get there, eventually.
Following the link Kontact posted, I checked measurements for the rear hub and it seems the Maillard one I currently have on the rear wheel is pretty close. So I might have the necessary spokes already sitting on the wheel in question. We shall see.
Now checking if I have correct QR skewers. Looks like 6207 didn't come in tracknut version (which I generally would prefer), so back to QR it is.
Old 03-29-23, 12:30 PM
Kontact 

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4330 Post(s)
Liked 1,514 Times in 988 Posts
Originally Posted by VintageSteelEU
Except the 600EX FH-6207 for me
Got the front one already, hunting for the rear will take some time. But will get there, eventually.
Following the link Kontact posted, I checked measurements for the rear hub and it seems the Maillard one I currently have on the rear wheel is pretty close. So I might have the necessary spokes already sitting on the wheel in question. We shall see.
Now checking if I have correct QR skewers. Looks like 6207 didn't come in tracknut version (which I generally would prefer), so back to QR it is.
Spend $5 on a atandard thread axle and it will be.
Old 03-29-23, 01:07 PM
VintageSteelEU

Originally Posted by Kontact
Spend $5 on a atandard thread axle and it will be.
Got several (both front and rear) knocking about
Old 03-30-23, 11:33 AM
Hondo6

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 549 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 462 Posts
I'm planning to get Shimano FH-6207 and HB-6207, or whatever the nomenclature is for 600 EX SIS hubs ( Velobase page ) in freewheel version and lace them to Mavic MA2 rims I have (currently with basic Maillard hubs) to take my daily ride fully into mid-80's.
FWIW: if you can't find a good freewheel rear 6207, I wouldn't unconditionally reject a freehub version in excellent shape.

Yes, they were Uniglide. But per Shimano's EVs for the FH-6207, it's of the design that allows the existing UG freehub to be replaced with a HG/UG (or HG only) freehub. Those are still available, and while getting harder to find 7-speed HG cassettes are also still available. It's thus a viable option.

I believe I've also seen a thread here on BF detailing the what's necessary to respace a fairly early Shimano rear hub to accept an 8-10 speed freehub while retaining 126mm OLD. Unfortunately, I can't remember the precise version of the hub in question.

It's always good to have options.
Likes For Hondo6:
Old 03-30-23, 03:47 PM
VintageSteelEU

Originally Posted by Hondo6
FWIW: if you can't find a good freewheel rear 6207, I wouldn't unconditionally reject a freehub version in excellent shape.

Yes, they were Uniglide. But per Shimano's EVs for the FH-6207, it's of the design that allows the existing UG freehub to be replaced with a HG/UG (or HG only) freehub. Those are still available, and while getting harder to find 7-speed HG cassettes are also still available. It's thus a viable option.

I believe I've also seen a thread here on BF detailing the what's necessary to respace a fairly early Shimano rear hub to accept an 8-10 speed freehub while retaining 126mm OLD. Unfortunately, I can't remember the precise version of the hub in question.

It's always good to have options.
On my daily rider I currently have Exage rear hub with 7 sp HG casette (12-28). It can also take UG cassettes.
I do like the casette design, it's easy to take it apart, take the sprockets off of it to clean them. Can't overhaul the freehub, because I don't have tools for that, but this can be addressed. I'm fine with Uniglide if I had UG cassette. The problem with them is they tend to be pricey. So if I want something period correct on UG hub, that's going to be painful on the wallet.
With freewheel hub, I can slap whatever in the back (providing the thread is compatible). Huret from the 80's, contemporary Tourney HG freewheel or Suntour (of which I have 3 or 4), Shimano freewhel from the 80's or early 90's... Disadvantage is that sprockets are not that easy to remove (which I'm planning at some point), but that's another small issue to solve.
Most definitely I don't even need more than 6 sprockets, I wouldn't know what to do with 10. That's a total overkill in my case. The frame is steel, so it can be cold set to 130 OLD without any problems (done that on another bike before and actually have tools for that), but there's simply no point at the moment. 126mm OLD and 6-7 speeds is perfectly sufficient for my needs right now

Anyhow, I bought a MF-6208 recently, so that's what I will want to use on the rear wheel before I get a hub for it.
Old 03-30-23, 04:00 PM
Hondo6

So if I want something period correct on UG hub, that's going to be painful on the wallet..
Missed the part about wanting to stay period correct; my apologies if that was mentioned earlier.

Best of luck in finding the hub you need.
Old 03-30-23, 04:44 PM
VintageSteelEU

Originally Posted by Hondo6
Missed the part about wanting to stay period correct; my apologies if that was mentioned earlier.

Best of luck in finding the hub you need.
Functioning, well maintained bicycle > period correct, but malfunctioning. In my book
I have nothing against HG or 10 speeds per se. Though I think that before electronic shifting, bicycle evolution could have stopped mid-80's and all would be fine, most later improvements were more marketing than substance . And even electronic shifting is a re-iteration of Mavic idea from late 80's / early 90's.
So it's not that the bicycle has to be definitely period correct. I have 2-3 that are or are in the process of becoming period correct. It's just I like tinkering and also making my life more difficult Why should I go for some easy indexed shifting with HG when I can go for a bicycle I can ride straight from work to some L'Eroica event? One of the things I love about C&V bicycles (other than the fact they were made by skilled craftsmen by hand and other than them looking 1000x better than all the ugly, bodged, modern stuff I see in the streets) is the fact that I can do all of the maintenance myself. So you know, I just looked at my bicycle, which is perfectly nice as it is and I thought: "how about I'll do some unnecessary work on it and make it all 600EX?".
Old 03-30-23, 07:11 PM
Hondo6

Functioning, well maintained bicycle > period correct, but malfunctioning. In my book
I have nothing against HG or 10 speeds per se. Though I think that before electronic shifting, bicycle evolution could have stopped mid-80's and all would be fine, most later improvements were more marketing than substance . And even electronic shifting is a re-iteration of Mavic idea from late 80's / early 90's.
So it's not that the bicycle has to be definitely period correct. I have 2-3 that are or are in the process of becoming period correct. It's just I like tinkering and also making my life more difficult Why should I go for some easy indexed shifting with HG when I can go for a bicycle I can ride straight from work to some L'Eroica event? One of the things I love about C&V bicycles (other than the fact they were made by skilled craftsmen by hand and other than them looking 1000x better than all the ugly, bodged, modern stuff I see in the streets) is the fact that I can do all of the maintenance myself. So you know, I just looked at my bicycle, which is perfectly nice as it is and I thought: "how about I'll do some unnecessary work on it and make it all 600EX?".
Your bike, so your call. If doing that "floats your boat" and makes you happy, go for it!

Two minor quibbles, though. HG is a late 1980s invention. If bike tech had stopped circa 1985, we wouldn't have it. I'd certainly hate to do without HG; I find it absolutely great. And though I could do without STIs (or their equivalents from other manufacturers), I rather like those as well. I'm glad we have them, too.

I agree with you on the aesthetic edge for C&V bikes (though a well-made TIG-welded frame in steel or Ti can also look quite nice).

FWIW: I have one nice bike based on a very OS-tubed alloy frame w/modern straight carbon fork and threadless headset. It has STIs, and it's light; plus, the ride is actually pretty nice. And yes, it's HG and >7 speed. It shifts wonderfully.

But aesthetically, it simply doesn't compare. Threadless stems are functionally better, but IMO they're simply butt-ugly; I'll only use one in the future if I have no other choice. And the hugely OS tubes in an alloy or CF frame to me just look bloated and wrong. Ditto the current generation of straight CF forks.

Anyway: hope the project goes well. Best of luck!

Last edited by Hondo6; 03-30-23 at 07:23 PM.
Old 03-30-23, 09:54 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4322 Post(s)
Liked 3,943 Times in 2,636 Posts
In terms of being completely period correct, I think sometimes yes go for it but other times make it practical for your riding and if you are riding a lot get something easy to deal with. Truthfully and honestly if they seriously made in large quantity, 6 speed cassettes (and some notches above tourney level quality) I would have built my Phil Wood bike with a Phil Wood Cassette hub, yes thankfully IRD still makes quality freewheels but I much prefer a a cassette. Being even more honest I kind of wish I had some form of integrated shifters but with out the boxy ergonomics of Gevenalle (love the product though) or the shifting brake lever of STI. I am fine with the 6 speeds I can make that work but making the bike overall more practical for my riding would have been better but golly does it look real nice.

I love to see an all original vintage bike of quality but in the end I want to ride a vintage bike that has whatever modern touches on it to make it easier to ride and more comfortable and practical.