Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

“Tacoed rim”

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

“Tacoed rim”

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-23, 06:34 PM
mikeschi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
“Tacoed rim”

The rider was not physically hurt making these pictures. Just pride. All kidding aside, I’ve searched all over for a replacement rim. Can someone suggest a (US) source or eBay/ Amazon retailer that would have a replacement rim? Thanks in advance.

Tire says: 52-584, (650-52B), (27.5 X 2.10) 32 holes
rim height 19mm
rim width 23mm ( 17mm inside)
Old 03-26-23, 07:22 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4353 Post(s)
Liked 3,993 Times in 2,665 Posts
No but your local shop will have a rim or can easily get one. I don't recommend supporting billionaires personally and fleabay is a source for used stuff but I don't really want used rims. For new stuff I would rather get it from an authorized seller. However if your wheel is damaged you will more than likely need new spokes and nipples and possibly a hub as well and someone to build it. Your local shop has all of that. I would recommend Velocity rims for a good quality Made in the US rim and the A23 is probably pretty close to what you want

If you are looking to post pictures you will need to get active in the forums, luckily we have loads of current topics that are interesting and worthy of posting and if you join in and get 10 posts you can post pictures quite easily. If you aren't interested google, ask Jeeves or duckduckgo are all search engines that are useable.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 03-26-23, 07:44 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1947 Post(s)
Liked 1,468 Times in 1,017 Posts
Originally Posted by mikeschi
The rider was not physically hurt making these pictures. Just pride. All kidding aside, I’ve searched all over for a replacement rim. Can someone suggest a (US) source or eBay/ Amazon retailer that would have a replacement rim? Thanks in advance.

Tire says: 52-584, (650-52B), (27.5 X 2.10) 32 holes
rim height 19mm
rim width 23mm ( 17mm inside)
Why would the tire specify, and why would you ride a tire with, 32 holes? If you mean a 650b / 27.5 rim with 32 spoke holes, then: 650b - 27.5 Rims - Modern Bike

Scroll down and click 32 under Spoke Drillings.
Old 03-26-23, 07:54 PM
maddog34

Bikes: !982 Trek 930R Custom, Diamondback ascent with SERIOUS updates, Fuji Team Pro CF and a '09 Comencal Meta 5.5

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 534 Posts
do you want a bare rim, or a wheel assembly? MTB or road bike? Disc or Rim brakes? front or Rear wheel?

250+ bare rims found on ebay when i searched "650B rim "....
the tough part is finding one that is the same spoke hole DEPTH, or "ERD".. ERD is the diameter of the rim where the Spoke Nipples seat up.... look it up to see how to determine your wheel's ERD.... Or visit a bike shop/Co-op....they can help you.

As for finding a complete wheel assembly to swap on.. Try your local craigslist "Bike Parts" section. Search Facebook Marketplace (tends to be more confused though.. "Algorythms!") or visit your local Co-op bike shop... search 27.5 for an mtb wheel or 650B for a road wheel.

if you are intimidated by all these terms and questions... DEFINITELY visit the Bike Shops... we love seeing bike carnage anyway!

Last edited by maddog34; 03-29-23 at 05:31 PM.
Likes For maddog34:
Old 03-30-23, 10:02 AM
oldbobcat

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked 448 Times in 337 Posts
Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
Why would the tire specify, and why would you ride a tire with, 32 holes? If you mean a 650b / 27.5 rim with 32 spoke holes, then: 650b - 27.5 Rims - Modern Bike

Scroll down and click 32 under Spoke Drillings.
Nice recommendation. Your local bike shop can also get relatively low-cost rims by Sun Ringle and Weinmann, that I recommend. Or pre-built wheels, that I recommend. And spokes. If you tacoed the rim you're going to need new spokes, period. And they can measure your hub and run the numbers through a spoke length calculator, and sell you the correct spokes.
Old 03-30-23, 10:51 AM
SurferRosa
seńor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3887 Post(s)
Liked 6,482 Times in 3,206 Posts
I tacoed a wheel once while riding in a metro bus. It was one of those buses that bends in the middle around corners, and the wheel got pinched between the moving well and seat. Saw it coming, and couldn't move the wheel up to my lap fast enough. Everyone around saw it crunch. I sat there in awe. ​​​​​​

Bought a brand new rim, relaced it with the same spokes, and it was as good as new.
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 03-30-23, 11:09 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,809 Times in 3,317 Posts
mikeschi welcome to BF.

The tacoed wheel might be an indication you weren't paying attention to the many loose spokes you likely had. Do you know how to properly tension them and how to figure the proper length of spokes to order. If not, just go to a bike shop. They'll find you a new wheel for not much cost.
Old 04-01-23, 08:14 AM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 573 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
I would recommend Velocity rims for a good quality Made in the US rim and the A23 is probably pretty close to what you want
When did Velocity start making their rims in the USA? I thought they were Australian.

That said, A23's haven't been known for the best quality in the past. Have they improved?
Old 04-01-23, 09:45 AM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
https://www.prowheelbuilder.com/rims...0b-27-5in.html
Old 04-01-23, 10:19 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4353 Post(s)
Liked 3,993 Times in 2,665 Posts
Originally Posted by Lombard
When did Velocity start making their rims in the USA? I thought they were Australian.

That said, A23's haven't been known for the best quality in the past. Have they improved?
Oh you missed it this was back in 2012 that they moved production to the U.S. and I think in 2016 they moved from Florida to Michigan where their Wheel builders had been for a while (pre-production move). I think from what I recall some of the early U.S. made stuff wasn't 100% but now they are fantastic. Though I believe we do have some old wheels that we built and maybe one we bought that has old Aussie made rims.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 04-02-23, 08:20 AM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 573 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
Oh you missed it this was back in 2012 that they moved production to the U.S. and I think in 2016 they moved from Florida to Michigan where their Wheel builders had been for a while (pre-production move). I think from what I recall some of the early U.S. made stuff wasn't 100% but now they are fantastic. Though I believe we do have some old wheels that we built and maybe one we bought that has old Aussie made rims.
Hmmm, I guess so. I guess that's where the reports came about issues with the A23's having lose shavings inside.
Likes For Lombard: