Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Any reason not to easy off this crank?

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 03-16-09, 08:32 PM
tmh657

Bikes: A few BSO's.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 26 Posts

Got this Shimano 600 crank and it's pretty scratched up. I don't think it has any value other than being used as a crank on my bike.
I like nice looking things so would there be any reason not to strip the anodizing, sand and polish it up?

It's on a '85 Trek I got as a frame so there were no original components on it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Crank_1.jpg (97.5 KB, 346 views)
File Type: jpg
Crank_2.jpg (75.6 KB, 346 views)
Old 03-16-09, 08:39 PM
mainducoyote

Bikes: 3Rensho Aero with 10 speed Centaure / Record , Lecroco , whatever bike I have for sale at the moment

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't see any reason why you shouldn't polish them , I don't think they have any collector value either. I find tricolor Shimano 600 to age pretty badly aesthetically.
Old 03-16-09, 08:49 PM
Amani576
Buh'wah?!

Bikes: 2014 Giant Trance

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Those cranks are pretty common, really. If it were something more collectible, like a SunTour Sprint crank, then I'd wholeheartedly say no (and I have before).
Those, go ahead.
-Gene-
Old 03-16-09, 08:57 PM
Old Fat Guy
Banned

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
They polish up nicely, go for it.

Likes For Old Fat Guy:
Old 03-16-09, 09:06 PM
cuda2k
Unique Vintage Steel

Bikes: Kirk Frameworks JKS-C, Serotta Nova, Gazelle AB-Frame, Fuji Team Issue, Surly Straggler

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 225 Times in 56 Posts
Go for it. I have a set of Shimano 105SC cranks from about the same year that I"m waiting for a chance to do myself.
Old 03-16-09, 09:27 PM
Old Fat Guy
Banned

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Here's some beat 105's I did:
Likes For Old Fat Guy:
Old 03-16-09, 09:53 PM
tmh657

Bikes: A few BSO's.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 26 Posts
Thanks for the answers guys and for sharing your sweet looking cranks. I thought I might get to see some nice examples.
I am motivated to get it done now.
Old 09-10-21, 07:21 AM
NDL

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Old Fat Guy
Here's some beat 105's I did:
very nice, how often do you have to repolish it?
Old 09-10-21, 08:05 AM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 567 Post(s)
Liked 562 Times in 405 Posts
Don't listen to ↑, Shozaburo Shimano was an entrepreneur, who started a machine shop at age 26 making freewheels, by the time he passed away he was building his own 3 speed hub. He and his families successors (world's largest component manufacturers) would appreciate your care and attention to their components. All components have useful lives and you would be materially adding to that 600's life.
Old 09-10-21, 08:42 AM
oneclick 

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1105 Post(s)
Liked 1,325 Times in 782 Posts
Originally Posted by tmh657
Got this Shimano 600 crank and it's pretty scratched up. I don't think it has any value other than being used as a crank on my bike.
I like nice looking things so would there be any reason not to strip the anodizing, sand and polish it up?

It's on a '85 Trek I got as a frame so there were no original components on it.
Put a resist on the extractor threads if you can.
Old 09-10-21, 10:19 AM
tricky 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 298 Posts
Originally Posted by hazetguy
i LOVE it when 12 year old threads get dug up!
Especially when the person quoted to dredge it up from the chamber of horrors WAS BANNED FROM THE SITE A DECADE AGO!!!!!!

I LOVE it when people get mad when 12 year old threads get dug up!

Old 09-10-21, 12:43 PM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 567 Post(s)
Liked 562 Times in 405 Posts
What is the excepted protocol for old posts? tmh657 was thanking folks from a very old post that may not be around, and NDL did show an old post that helped frame his question. I don't see the harm but happy to be educated. To answer NDL's question, which does come up often, in my personal experience there are a lot of factors bearing on polish life but they can be extended with a sealers on the market, I just switched to SHARKHIDE Metal & Aluminum Protectant and early returns are very good.
Old 09-10-21, 01:26 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,577 Posts
Originally Posted by easyupbug
What is the excepted protocol for old posts? tmh657 was thanking folks from a very old post that may not be around, and NDL did show an old post that helped frame his question. I don't see the harm but happy to be educated. To answer NDL's question, which does come up often, in my personal experience there are a lot of factors bearing on polish life but they can be extended with a sealers on the market, I just switched to SHARKHIDE Metal & Aluminum Protectant and early returns are very good.
Just speaking for myself, I like when people add interesting or useful data to an old thread; it becomes an even better repository of information for that topic. And I figure when a topic takes years to unfold and there are new developments, updating the existing thread is a nice way to keep it all in one place. (I can't stand when someone starts multiple threads about a topic and it's up to other users to hunt down the other threads and get the whole story.)

It is somewhat irritating when a new member obliviously bumps an old thread they found in a search and doesn't realize the person they're responding to is banned (or dead). But there's not much point in getting upset and adding more comments, since that just bumps it to the top again. So I usually (try to) let it go...
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498

Last edited by ThermionicScott; 09-10-21 at 01:34 PM.
Likes For ThermionicScott:
Old 09-10-21, 06:23 PM
tricky 

Originally Posted by hazetguy
Aw, did i hurt your feelings snowflake?

its not about digging up an ancient thread, it's about digging it up by quoting, and then asking for an answer from someone who got banned and hasn't been "allowed" on the site for a decade (that's 10 years). Just sayin'
ps: i don't know (or care) who is in the pic you posted.
No, but you seem very upset, wow! Relax! I'll give you two guesses who is in the photo, the first one doesn't count.
Likes For tricky:
Old 09-10-21, 06:29 PM
tricky 

Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
Just speaking for myself, I like when people add interesting or useful data to an old thread; it becomes an even better repository of information for that topic. And I figure when a topic takes years to unfold and there are new developments, updating the existing thread is a nice way to keep it all in one place. (I can't stand when someone starts multiple threads about a topic and it's up to other users to hunt down the other threads and get the whole story.)

It is somewhat irritating when a new member obliviously bumps an old thread they found in a search and doesn't realize the person they're responding to is banned (or dead). But there's not much point in getting upset and adding more comments, since that just bumps it to the top again. So I usually (try to) let it go...
I don't see a problem in this thread getting bumped. This is the classic and VINTAGE forum after all. Old stuff is still relevant here. I was also enjoying the photos of the polished 600 cranks. NDL didn't do anything wrong, but was rudely educated of the fact that he was replying to an old thread and quoting a banned user.
Old 09-10-21, 06:47 PM
sdn40

Bikes: 88 Cannondale Criterium

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 91 Posts
I'm just worried about throwing away an old coffee maker. I don't want to kill any angels.
Old 09-11-21, 01:23 AM
SurferRosa
seńor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3860 Post(s)
Liked 6,450 Times in 3,190 Posts
Originally Posted by NDL
how often do you have to repolish it?
I'll answer your question for you: almost never. The only polished components I have to repolish on occasion are seatposts. (And then it takes only 30 seconds.) I don't know why that is, but the cranksets always look fantastic. Of course, I don't ride in the rain, so ymmv.

Not "just sayin'."
Old 09-11-21, 02:29 AM
verktyg 
verktyg

Bikes: Current favorites: 1988 Peugeot Birraritz, 1984 Gitane Super Corsa, 1980s DeRosa, 1981 Bianchi Campione Del Mondo, 1992 Paramount OS, 1988 Colnago Technos, 1985 RalieghUSA SBDU Team Pro

Mentioned: 207 Post(s)
Quoted: 1036 Post(s)
Liked 1,237 Times in 653 Posts
Zombie threads

Originally Posted by tricky
I LOVE it when people get mad when 12 year old threads get dug up!

ThermionicScott easyupbug I agree with hazetguy about digging up ZOMBIE THREADS

My objections are for practical reasons: Many of those old posts have multiple pages and it's frequently a waste of time to drill down to find the message or messages relative to the new additions.

Starting a new thread brings fresh ideas and people into the loop and it's easier for new BF members to quickly find solutions rather than digging through all the old stuff that may have been frequently side tracked or hijacked.

easyupbug There's not much in the way of published protocols on BF, we're mostly a polite and self monitoring group.

BITD on the old rec.bicycles.tech newsgroup and other forums, one could find themselves mercilessly FLAMED for bringing up Zombie Threads.

BTW, Google is a good place to search for BF information because it not only lists topics but also the time line so there's no guessing about Zombie Threads.

In closing, that polished 105 crank looks really nice... But start a new thread. You can always put a ling in for a old thread or message.

verktyg

Chas. ;-)

Last edited by verktyg; 09-11-21 at 02:49 AM.
Old 09-11-21, 03:57 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1854 Post(s)
Liked 660 Times in 503 Posts
Originally Posted by tricky
I don't see a problem in this thread getting bumped. This is the classic and VINTAGE forum after all. Old stuff is still relevant here. I was also enjoying the photos of the polished 600 cranks. NDL didn't do anything wrong, but was rudely educated of the fact that he was replying to an old thread and quoting a banned user.
I don't see any problem with using old thread, or quoting a banned member. First, he had a lot of knowledge and shared it willingly. Second if the mods wanted his posts never to be referenced, they would have deleted all his posts. But they didn't.
Likes For Road Fan:
Old 09-11-21, 04:19 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
Originally Posted by onyerleft
Every time an original frame paint job or component is repainted or "polished over" so as to remove the original insignia/logos/decals, an angel dies.
Since this thread is back to life:

Wet sand, polish and get new decals.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/13362382156...xoC_d4QAvD_BwE

Likes For Lazyass:
Old 09-11-21, 05:00 AM
NDL

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by SurferRosa
I'll answer your question for you: almost never. The only polished components I have to repolish on occasion are seatposts. (And then it takes only 30 seconds.) I don't know why that is, but the cranksets always look fantastic. Of course, I don't ride in the rain, so ymmv.

Not "just sayin'."
Thanks for the info, I wonder why on some other threads I read once you sand and polished up the crank, you will have to repolish it every couple of the months or it will look really bad.
Old 09-11-21, 05:28 AM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1163 Post(s)
Liked 441 Times in 314 Posts
Originally Posted by NDL
Thanks for the info, I wonder why on some other threads I read once you sand and polished up the crank, you will have to repolish it every couple of the months or it will look really bad.
it is because un-anodized aluminum has open pores that readily loses its luster. I have full polished rims on my bike and if I ride on wet roads I get water spots and dirt that begs for a touch up to bring back the bling:

The water spots are visible on a clean rim and might take 2 rounds of being rubbed with Mother’s mag wheel polish to buff fully out.
Old 09-11-21, 07:04 AM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1134 Post(s)
Liked 1,726 Times in 950 Posts
If I recall those 105 cranks above weren't anodized, and was not a relevant reply to the question of removal of the ano.
Old 09-11-21, 10:39 AM
scarlson 

Bikes: Ron Cooper touring, 1959 Jack Taylor 650b ladyback touring tandem, Vitus 979, Joe Bell painted Claud Butler Dalesman, Colin Laing curved tube tandem, heavily-Dilberted 1982 Trek 6xx, René Herse tandem

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked 1,451 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. 66
If I recall those 105 cranks above weren't anodized, and was not a relevant reply to the question of removal of the ano.
Yeah, that's right, at least for the ones I've seen. They were painted. Sometimes the corrosion gets under the paint, but you can easily remove it all with a Scotch Brite wheel. Makes a terrific amount of dust, but then the cranks polish right up and you can put "DURA ACE" stickers on them afterwards...
Old 09-11-21, 08:23 PM
Ronsonic 

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 41 Posts
I did a blog post on this like a million years ago with some really scabby looking 105 cranks. Yes it is some sort of paint / powder coat and Jasco did peel it off.

Before:

AFTER:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.