Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Do You Worry About Your Heart?

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Do You Worry About Your Heart?

Old 10-28-19, 02:36 PM
FlRon

Bikes: Specialized Crossroads

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
I think we all know that. Heart disease is still the number 1 cause of death.

I agree with getting things checked out but as I have whined about on this forum before, I haven't had a lot of success with doctors.

I'm sorry you have had such problems and I wish you luck with that going forward.
Personally, I am not generally a huge fan of doctors. My experience is that far too many of them order unnecessary tests in order to keep the cash flowing. Again, that has been my experience only.

I made the comment referencing Superman only because I know many who do hold to such a view, so no, not everyone knows that. No amount of cajoling them into taking better care of themselves has any effect on them because they are young, healthy, and strong, believing they will always be this way. I was the exact same way before I found out otherwise, which is why I try to educate others now.
Likes For FlRon:
Old 10-28-19, 03:35 PM
Leadrunner

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Diverge Elite A1, 2013 KHS Flite, 1998 Trek 800

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I am now 73. Last year, late spring or early summer, I began to get dropped some by a pretty good group. I thought it was just my age and dropped back to a slower group. Sadly, they began to drop me as well. At my next scheduled check up, my PCP was concerned about a murmer that had developed and sent me to cardiology. Turns out I had severe aortic stenosis, but up until then had not shown any symptoms. Due to my overall good condition, I qualified for open heart surgery rather than transfemoral. As part of the run up for the surgery, they did a heart cath, and fortunately, I had not blockages. I still love to ride, and am now back to about four days a week. I just don't ride as hard or as far. Sadly, I did lose a very close friend to a cardiac event while on a ride back in April. I find that most people that ride consistently are pretty well in touch with their body, but still, if you listen, your body will tell you what you need to know. Just be willing to listen.
Old 10-28-19, 03:47 PM
fly135

Bikes: iZip E3 Peak DS, Magnum Metro, GT Tachyon, K2 Sidewinder

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 21 Posts
I just got a $20 CooSpo chest Bt HR sensor in from Amazon this morning. Installed the Strava app on my android phone and went for a test ride on my full suspension mountain bike. It was just around town for 3.2 miles. But I pretty much pedaled as hard as I could the whole time. The app said I had an avg speed of 13mph and max 18mpg. I did kind of pedal around in circles testing my brakes because I just replaced the cables so that may have lowered my avg speed. But the MTB seems pretty sluggish. I recorded an avg HR of 123 and max of 148. According to the 220 - age rule for est max HR I would be at 156-157 (about to turn 64). Guess it's going to take a bit of work to get there.

Last edited by fly135; 10-28-19 at 04:33 PM.
Old 10-28-19, 04:54 PM
stephr1

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 37 Posts
I.m 66, have reasonable at-rest heart rate, a bit above average cholesterol, a few pounds more-than-I-want-to-be overweight and do ~50 mi/week on a mtb...no serious hill climbing, tho....primarily cardio. I save my stress moments for Sat. mornings when I go do good hill hikes, i.e. this past Sat. I did 1000+ ft. elevation gain and a distance of 12-13 miles among the redwoods. Also dodged a bunch of mosquitoes during the jaunt.

My dad died @ 86 due to renal issues (prob'ly form the smoking he did most of his life) and my mom's still alive @ 90. No real heart issues in my family. I figure if I go while on my bike or in the forest, I should have a smile on my face (along with a bunch of scrapes and scratches if it happens while I'm on my bike).
Old 10-28-19, 05:07 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8188 Post(s)
Liked 8,844 Times in 4,392 Posts
Originally Posted by fly135
. I recorded an avg HR of 123 and max of 148. According to the 220 - age rule for est max HR I would be at 156-157 (about to turn 64). Guess it's going to take a bit of work to get there.
Forget the 220-age rule.
Likes For big john:
Old 10-28-19, 09:32 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Forget the 220-age rule.
I wouldn't say forget it. Its just less of a hard and fast rule nowadays as it used to be. The newer measurements aren't dramatically that much different (195 vs 203)
Old 10-28-19, 11:09 PM
bpcyclist

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked 364 Times in 227 Posts
Forget the 220-age rule.
And use what?
Old 10-29-19, 12:49 AM
Mufryder420
Mufrdyer420

Bikes: Bianchi classic 78 ,orbea 2017 road bike..

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by bpcyclist
So, there are many reasons most of us ride and one of them is for health, physical and mental. But unfortunately , in our general age group (I am 55), cardiovascular disease can become an issue. Exercise is obviously very good for the cardiovascular system. But all the exertion that comes with a hard ride also does, to a certain extent, increase the risk of a cardiac event in those susceptible. Personally, if I die on my bike, I will be a happy man. My question is, given the potential heart risks and given age, do you ever worry while you are riding that you are working too hard? Like, dangerously hard? Do you ever back off a little because of that? I ask this because, the other day, I was on a quite tough climb and I was really, really working and it suddenly occurred to me--hey, you may be in good cycling shape, but you're not 30 anymore. Maybe you should chill out.

I kept going. But it got me to wondering whether I was the only older fella who ever thinks about these things. If so, how does it figure into your riding? Just wondering. Thanks for your thoughts.
Hey brother age is only a number to me.. ur only as old as you feel...Ryde free or die tryin
Likes For Mufryder420:
Old 10-29-19, 02:53 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by FBOATSB
I'm pushing 64 for cryin' outside, half dead.
Why are you "half dead" at 64?
Old 10-29-19, 02:58 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

And use what?
Find your own max HR.
Likes For Machka:
Old 10-29-19, 03:21 AM
tim24k

Bikes: To many to list. I like them all!

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 32 Posts
LOL, I think about it, then I go riding. If I die at lest I’ll die doing something I love doing. At this point in my life if I wake up and can get out of bed it’s a good day and a gift. No worries be happy!
Likes For tim24k:
Old 10-29-19, 03:54 AM
FBOATSB

Bikes: Old Stuff

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 514 Times in 343 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
Why are you "half dead" at 64?
That's a figure of speech.
More acturately, I am long past the half life of any human. Just ask any Actuary.
Old 10-29-19, 04:09 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Originally Posted by FBOATSB
That's a figure of speech.
More acturately, I am long past the half life of any human. Just ask any Actuary.
What might you do differently if you knew you had another 30 years on this earth?
Old 10-29-19, 07:27 AM
fly135

Bikes: iZip E3 Peak DS, Magnum Metro, GT Tachyon, K2 Sidewinder

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 21 Posts
What might you do differently if you knew you had another 30 years on this earth?
Take SS later?
Old 10-29-19, 09:12 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8188 Post(s)
Liked 8,844 Times in 4,392 Posts
And use what?
It's a stupid rule. There are many variables with people, you can't have a "one size fits all" for heart rate. As Machka said, find your max heart rate by doing. Again, if there are no underlying issues.
It's like the resting hear rate thing. I was reading the chart and it said I should be 55-60 bpm. While I was reading it my hr was 40 bpm.

https://www.castlehillfitness.com/fi...e-220-age-myth

https://www.******.com/r/askscience/...20_minus_your/

https://www.bikeradar.com/advice/fit...a-for-fitness/

Last edited by big john; 10-29-19 at 09:24 AM.
Old 10-29-19, 09:47 AM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 937 Post(s)
Liked 1,966 Times in 561 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
Read that. It's a good book, but does more than a bit of scare-mongering. I've been riding with ultra-cyclists and just plain hard-riding folks for 20 years. We've had two riders develop Afib. One is an ultra-cyclist with a wall full of medals, the other is a runner/cyclist who ran a 4:11 mile in his early 20's and kept up that level of training until his mid-70s when he was still one of the fastest riders I've had the pleasure to paceline with.. So yeah, it's possible to overdo it, but it takes absolutely incredible dedication. Those of you who have ridden at that level for a couple decades should take note and maybe back it off. For the rest of us, have at it all you want - very unlikely that you have the physiology to enable that level of stress for long enough to cause any damage.

That is my theory too. I have read some of the medical articles about afib among endurance athletes, and the data is frustrating, as no one can seem to agree on what an "endurance athlete" is, but all conclude there is an elevated risk of afib among us.

I know a number of people with afib issues, and they do all have one thing in common. They are people who like to push hard all the time. If they are doing a double century, they are trying to complete it as fast as possible ... and ditto with any ride (all of which are training rides).

I only push that hard in races, and even then, try to pace myself. Does that mean I won't get afib? Who knows. But that is my theory and I'm sticking to it. And if I do get afib, I'll deal with it then.

Likes For Biker395:
Old 10-29-19, 10:19 AM
coffeesnob

Bikes: Trek DS 8.3 - cannondale M500

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 2634 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 82 Posts
Actually riding a bike may have saved my life. I passed out several times while riding and after all the usual tests etc they found I need a pacer because when I was pedaling hard my heart went into bradycardia. I had noticed several times even not riding that I was getting faint after standing up quickly and dismissed it as nothing unusual.
Likes For coffeesnob:
Old 10-29-19, 12:55 PM
FBOATSB

Bikes: Old Stuff

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 514 Times in 343 Posts
As said, continue weight loss through better eating habits, bike riding, regular checkups including blood work, treating any illness as required before it becomes debilitating. I am getting my third colonoscopy before year end, don't foresee any issues there. I guess I can see myself living another 30 years, my father and grandfather lived into their 90's, mother, 80's. I still work full time, have no retirement plans as yet. My worst complaint is nerve damage from a spinal issue, arthritis and preparing for a knee replacement in the next couple years. Cycling really helps that.
If one of the big four don't take me, (cancer, heart death, stroke, dementia) who knows?
Old 10-29-19, 02:05 PM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 937 Post(s)
Liked 1,966 Times in 561 Posts
"If I knew I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself."

Mickey Mantle

Likes For Biker395:
Old 10-29-19, 02:17 PM
LECHERO531

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Already had the heart attack, still here with no stent implanted. One blocked artery, was told to have another and try to live through it. Then they would give me a double bypass. As per VA guidelines. On meds, 65 and do follow ups. Got back 80% of the 30% I lost (waited 10 days before I went in) still ride hard.

Aim to go like Simpson, the hell with it...put me back on my bike !
Likes For LECHERO531:
Old 10-29-19, 03:26 PM
Richard Cranium

Bikes: 2003 LeMond -various other junk bikes

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 34 Posts
"If I knew I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself."
Well Mickey - you can say that again..... and again and again ...

The original post asks if you are worrying about your heart. But, to be a little more precise you may need to reword the question to include vascular health as well.

I am only guessing, but I would suggest that coronary blood vessel health is a major factor in "active sudden death" scenarios. Many other heart diseases are considerably more "self-limiting" is as much that they cause fatigue or shortness of breath before the subject can exercise to death.

How many of the previous posters have undergone cardiac catheterization and are reasonably sure of healthy heart vessels? If not - then you have some cause for concern when you start maxing out, especially at an older age, or a history of smoking or obesity.
Old 10-29-19, 09:18 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3872 Post(s)
Liked 1,920 Times in 1,369 Posts
Originally Posted by Richard Cranium
Well Mickey - you can say that again..... and again and again ...

The original post asks if you are worrying about your heart. But, to be a little more precise you may need to reword the question to include vascular health as well.

I am only guessing, but I would suggest that coronary blood vessel health is a major factor in "active sudden death" scenarios. Many other heart diseases are considerably more "self-limiting" is as much that they cause fatigue or shortness of breath before the subject can exercise to death.

How many of the previous posters have undergone cardiac catheterization and are reasonably sure of healthy heart vessels? If not - then you have some cause for concern when you start maxing out, especially at an older age, or a history of smoking or obesity.
We have a very large bike club here, currently over 13,000 members, It offers many group rides, every day, for all abilities. AFAIK, there have been 2 cardiac-related deaths on one of these group rides in the past 20 years. One was on a very steep though shortish hill immediately after a ferry ride, the other was over a guardrail, post attack. I would worry a heckuva lot more about pickup trucks with trailer mirrors. That is, if I worried at all. Instead, I concentrate on avoiding the obvious dangers on the bike. That takes up the space which worry might occupy.
Old 10-30-19, 12:46 AM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
Originally Posted by fly135
Yeah I know... The crazy things that people believe. BTW, have you met Jesus?
So odd
Old 10-30-19, 06:44 AM
bargeon

Bikes: Fuji, Focus,Felt. 20 more letters to go.

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 22 Posts
No, I don't.
Old 10-30-19, 07:46 AM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
Originally Posted by KraneXL
I wouldn't say forget it. Its just less of a hard and fast rule nowadays as it used to be. The newer measurements aren't dramatically that much different (195 vs 203)
the "220 rule" is not a "rule." It is just an average, but if you are in good shape it may be totally different. My true "threshold" heart rate is above my "max heart-rate" from the "rule." My measured max is about 20bpm higher than my theoretical "rule" max.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.