Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Tandem Cycling
Reload this Page >

Tandem Bike — Best Bike Hacks

Notices
Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

Tandem Bike — Best Bike Hacks

Old 01-29-22, 08:57 AM
scycheng

Bikes: Merlin Road, Rivendell Road, Arvon custom tandme, Hi-Light G-7

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
Replace timing chain with a belt. Saves about 10 ounces of weight; increased longevity; doesn’t require re tensioning over time, keeps one side of the bike clean, does not require lubrication or cleaning, is arguably more,efficient, and creates a more connected feel between stoker and captain.

And I believe with the new Veer system, you have the ability to find different sized tandems.
Are the split belts reliable enough for touring use ie. a long way away from one's favourite bike shop/mechanic?

I converted our bike from 4x8 to same sided 2x11. Long term reliability remains to be seen.
Old 01-31-22, 06:21 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1428 Post(s)
Liked 697 Times in 353 Posts
Since I posted about Veer, our subsequent experience was not good. We just couldn’t get it set up to not skip under load. We tried all sorts of adjustments and it always skipped. I thought it might be an alignment problem with the frame. We went back to Gates, and it’s been problem free, so apparently it wasn’t the frame.

in our experience, I don’t think there’s a durability problem, but in our one off anecdote, we just couldn’t get it to not skip, even after replacing both belt and rings.

YMMV
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 02-03-22, 12:55 PM
chojn1

Bikes: Eriksen Tandem, DIY CF Tandem, Aluminum Tandem, Lightspeed, Cervelo, Specialized, Trek

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 4 Posts
I have been playing with some hacks for my tandem with a 3D printer and a metal laser cutter. Plastic parts are carbon fiber/nylon. Metal tools are made of stainless steel. Hope you like them.

bike

3d printed rear light and radar mount

rear light and radar

3d printed water bottle cage

designed to fit longer water bottle

tool box

laser cut stainless steel tools (ss spaner wrench, pedal wrench, tire levers)
Likes For chojn1:
Old 02-03-22, 01:02 PM
chojn1

Bikes: Eriksen Tandem, DIY CF Tandem, Aluminum Tandem, Lightspeed, Cervelo, Specialized, Trek

3D printed Garmin/headlight mount:

Old 02-09-22, 08:42 AM
chojn1

Found these quick connect/disconnect couplers for hydraulic brake hose. Just had them installed for about a month in anticipation for a France/Germany tour later this year. Works well so far.

Old 02-09-22, 08:42 AM
chojn1

Old 02-09-22, 10:39 AM
DangerousDanR

Bikes: Time Scylon, Lynskey R350, Ritchey Breakaway, Ritchey Double Switchback, Lynskey Ridgeline, ICAN Fatbike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 460 Post(s)
Liked 539 Times in 302 Posts
Originally Posted by chojn1
Found these quick connect/disconnect couplers for hydraulic brake hose. Just had them installed for about a month in anticipation for a France/Germany tour later this year. Works well so far.
Can you give a source for those, please. I have been looking and haven't found any.
Old 02-09-22, 03:35 PM
chojn1

Originally Posted by DangerousDanR
Can you give a source for those, please. I have been looking and haven't found any.
Sure. Try Zenocycleparts.com

CJ
Likes For chojn1:
Old 02-24-22, 07:08 PM
chojn1

Bike boxes free from the local bike shop resized to transport the tandem bike - small enough to fit in a car trunk and large enough to fit a bike and accessories.
Wheels are reclaimed from an office chair attached to 3d printed mounts which are held in place with straps.
Designed to get around airports and train stations easily.

Likes For chojn1:
Old 04-22-22, 01:35 PM
mbliven

Bikes: Rodriguez travel tandem with Rohloff hub (2020), Rodriguez Phinney Ridge gravel bike (2021), Trek Al-carbon road bike (2015), Zebra Kenko retro road bike (~1981).

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Not a very complicated hack, but it has worked well. Our travel tandem has four Topeak QR quick-release water bottle mounts ($8 ea on Amazon.) I mounted an Xlab Mezzo Cage Pod ($14 on Amazon) directly to one of the Topeak mounts, simply by drilling two holes into the pod. The tool pod (no cage needed) holds a spare tube, pump, tire iron, and other repair items, allowing me to use a smaller tool pack under the captain's seat. Using the quick-release mount, the tool pod is very easy to remove and access if needed for repairs or when breaking down the tandem for travel. We find that the other three mounts hold enough water bottles for our cycling needs, but if we needed a fourth water bottle, the tool pod could be removed and stored in a pannier.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
tool pod.pdf (209.1 KB, 1 views)

Last edited by mbliven; 04-25-22 at 12:34 PM. Reason: Clarity of posting and to post a smaller image.
Likes For mbliven:
Old 06-27-22, 06:14 PM
Alcanbrad

Bikes: '14 CoMo Carrera, '11 CoMo Primera co-pilot, '98 Santana Visa, a Plethora of road bikes, A commuter/Gravel beast (and 1 MTB)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 38 Posts
We have Topeak MTX racks and bags on our tandems and my stoker has complained about the trunk bag crowding her behind. You can see in the first picture how the bag sits right up the back of the stokers saddle. The geometry of the bikes force the racks to be at their adjustment limits so there is no adjusting to move the bag back. The bag slides into a dovetail and clips to the front bar of the rack. Installation and removal is very convenient which is why we like this trunk solution..

My solution to provide relief to my stoker was to design and 3D print a extension block that replicates the latch bar a few inches back from the front of the rack. This block stays in place permanently and the trunk bag can be installed and removed just like it would as the the solution is sold. She loves it (happy wife, happy life! )

Stock MTX set up on our bikes puts the bag right in the stokers seating area crowding her space and making her unhappy.

Latch extender slides into same dovetail and clamps to the front bar of the rack

Only adds a few ounces (which for us is noise)

Bag now clips in about 3 inches back from before giving stoker plenty of room. Bag is still well retained in dovetail slot and is very secure.
Likes For Alcanbrad:
Old 01-25-23, 10:14 PM
RoulezTandem

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
1. S&S coupled custom welded frame enables transport in two pieces so one is not bench pressing 86# of 8'3" long bike at a go into truck bed or atop truck cap. A godsend. Couplers on all cables as well.

2. Foot-forward frame (custom welded) reduces stress geometry on knees. When I try my single normal bike the knee pain is startling and disabling.

3. Retrofitting with Bafang 1500watt mid-drive motor and 52v battery. Had to rebuild all systems and machine some parts, to accommodate. Throttle-only assist up hills, soft ground, and windy conditions.

4. Freewheeling chainring adapter spider from Sick Bike Parts. Captain and Stoker can pedal or stop independently. Easy stops and starts, no surprise if goose motor on hazard.

5. Drilled out rims for Schrader, ditched the Presta valves. More robust, no more bent stems and easier to get tubes or assistance on trail if ever needed.
Old 01-29-23, 07:37 PM
Alcanbrad

Bikes: '14 CoMo Carrera, '11 CoMo Primera co-pilot, '98 Santana Visa, a Plethora of road bikes, A commuter/Gravel beast (and 1 MTB)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 38 Posts
The handle bar stems on our tandems are very short and it is difficult to hold the bike with one hand when removing and installing the front wheel. Not being able to hold the bike by the center axis results in the bike wanting to lean over and forces me to use my body against the handle bars to hold the bike steady. The bike still leans a little and it is hard to get the front wheel lined up to mate with the dropouts.

I designed and 3D printed a simple handle that sits between the steerer tube and the stem cap. This provides a very convenient way to hold the bike balanced with one hand when removing and reinstalling the front wheel. Not only is the bike balanced, it is very easy to direct the forks to mate up with the front wheel.

Old 02-10-23, 12:17 PM
sapporoguy

Bikes: 2000 Santana Sovereign SE; 2005 Co-Motion Speedster; Kona Kilauea with various dorky commuter accoutrements; Mercier Kilo TT fixie; Burley Fladbed trailer for groceries, bags of cement and the like.

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 41 Posts
My stoker, after riding with conventional bullhorn bars for years, including on two cross-country tours, asked if there was a way to get more palm support.
Sure thing!
Solution: A set of used super-light flat bars, Ergon GP5 grips and silicone grips cut to fit the rest of the bars.
I started full width, about 550mm, for a tryout. I could trim and re-try until the width was right.
She loved it instantly and liked the full length, a bit wider than the bullhorns, as well as the very slight rearward sweep.
We can fine-tune it over the next few-100 miles.
(The Deore XT brake lever lets the stoker control the rear V-brake; captain controls the rear disc brake.)

Likes For sapporoguy: