Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Getting older, riding slower, trouble keeping up with my group, advice please!

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 03-03-23, 10:34 AM
3940dxer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 2 Posts

I’ll be 70 this year and have never been fast on the hills. The small local group I’ve ridden with for 10 years goes out once a week, and it’s a big highlight of my week. The other folks are about 30-40 years old. They’re super supportive and patient when I fall behind on the hills but I get really frustrated and want to improve.

I’m a non-smoker, maybe 5 or 10 lbs over ideal weight, no special health issues. Last year I injured my shoulder, had to deal with 2 surgeries, and was off the bike for 6 months, but I’ve been back on for 6 months, without any pain or issues.

On the climbs, sometimes I feel my leg muscles start to hurt and fade, sometimes I get winded, sometimes both things happen at the same time.

I do solo rides 1 or 2 times a week, almost always in the hills, and I enjoy the climbs. I’m just slow.

7 1/2 years ago I did a 500 mile trip with a lot of hills, doing about 40 miles a day. I was at my strongest after that and could keep up with the group 99% of the time. But that didn't last long.

I ride a carbon fiber road bike that’s quick. I carry about 10 lbs. of tools and accessories, but I can’t think of anything I’d be comfortable eliminating.

The obvious answer is “ride more” and I will. And I have appointments with my cardiologist and ENT next week to see if part of this is a cardio or breathing issue, which I think is possible.

Besides asking for general advice and experiences from other seniors who’ve dealt with this, I have a few questions.

Does it sound like leg strength is my main limitation, or might it be a cardio thing, where I just don’t get enough oxygen?

When I train solo in the hills, should I push it as much as I possibly can, and really sort of beat myself up, to get better?

Is a 40 mile ride in the flats as helpful as a 20 mile ride in the hills, or should I really just stick to the hills for training?

I know that at some point in the coming years age will catch up and there will just be no way I can do rides with my group and keep up, but if I can do rides like this for maybe 5 more years without being a big drag on my friends, I’ll be thrilled.

This is really important to me. Thanks in advance for any advice, life stories, tough love, etc.
Old 03-03-23, 11:58 AM
Mtl01

Bikes: Domane AL5, FX 2

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 21 Posts
Would you consider an pedal assist e-bike? I was at my LBS and they had an e-road bike that hardly looked any different from a regular road bike.

You could use that in a group ride and easily keep up. Then use your current road bike for when you ride alone and aren't slowing a group down.

I'm 68 and can certainly see the value in having one for some rides (like very windy days, lol). I will consider it for my next bike.
Old 03-03-23, 01:10 PM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 421 Post(s)
Liked 690 Times in 430 Posts
Are there any groups in your area geared towards seniors? I am fairly sure that someone riding with others 30 to 40 years younger are going to find themselves a bit slower than the group. An 82 year old friend just bought his first e-bike, for hills and keeping up. Still has his purely leg powered bike and rides it if a fairly flat ride. Nothing wrong with a little help as we get older.
Likes For freeranger:
Old 03-03-23, 01:19 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3341 Post(s)
Liked 3,442 Times in 1,740 Posts
Assuming that at age 70, you have lots of time to do what you want: yes to riding more hours -- and yes to riding more often.

I just "aged up" to 65 this year, and I'm trying something new: I'm simply putting in more hours on the bike, almost all at an easy/moderate pace. It's working, I feel "mid-season" strong.

With the less-than-great weather, I haven't been doing any long climbs. But the short, low-elevation hills are feeling pretty easy. I tried a full gas effort on a short Strava uphill segment this week, and I managed a 3rd place time. Not so bad for a senior citizen.

So here's the training that's worked for me:
  • just put in the hours on the saddle at easy/moderate pace
  • ride at least 4 times per week
  • try some harder but short efforts, no more than once or twice per week
  • start adding in longer tempo climbs as the season progresses

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 03-03-23, 01:33 PM
Tomm Willians

Bikes: Subject to change at any given moment but currently is...... Colnago Mapei, Colnago C40, Wilier Triestina Carbon, Wilier Triestina Ramato, Follis 472, Peugeot PX60, Razesa, Orbea Terra, Soma Pescadero and 1/2 owner of a Santana tandem.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 322 Post(s)
Liked 775 Times in 261 Posts
I suppose it could just be me but I’m well into my 60’s and I’ve discovered that I’ve reached a performance level that likely isn’t going to change.
No matter how much I ride, I think the affect of aging is fighting me just as hard as the effort to improve. Don’t get me wrong, I ride pretty well (IMO) still able to easily knock out a century but my dreams of doing it at substantially better times are….. dreams.
I too have been at least sniffing around the E-bike market to see what’s being offered. I’m pretty sure I’ll be buying one before 70. I love doing centuries but can’t have it be an all day and night thing.
Likes For Tomm Willians:
Old 03-03-23, 01:35 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 1,236 Times in 617 Posts
Start your own group of 70 riders

Likes For 10 Wheels:
Old 03-03-23, 01:39 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3873 Post(s)
Liked 1,920 Times in 1,369 Posts
Originally Posted by freeranger
Are there any groups in your area geared towards seniors? I am fairly sure that someone riding with others 30 to 40 years younger are going to find themselves a bit slower than the group. An 82 year old friend just bought his first e-bike, for hills and keeping up. Still has his purely leg powered bike and rides it if a fairly flat ride. Nothing wrong with a little help as we get older.
I posted about this here: https://www.bikeforums.net/22818190-post8.html

Ride longer distances, with hills. Never neglect the hills. During my rando period, I usually didn't do a training ride of over 60 miles and 3000' or so, but I did a lot of those. You "just" need to ride more and longer, 100 mile or so weeks with one long ride. Start with say 40 miles and keep going up, goal of say 60 by June. With ~50'/mile. That seems to work best. Just do them solo or with a buddy or two. Climb every hill hard until you can't. "If you can walk at the end, you could have gone harder." The rest of my week is all Z2 rides on the almost-flat. Volume.

No ebike, no.

If you aren't doing strength training, you should be. As you've noticed, our muscles deteriorate more quickly the older we get. You ain't seen nuthin' yet. I do ~1 hour at the gym, twice a week. Legs, back, hip flexors, shoulders and arms. Start with say 3 sets of 20 reps. Most of your buddies won't be doing this - it'll give you a leg up. My other "secret weapon" is hiking in the hills, 3-4 hour hikes, once a week. Snowshoe or ski in winter, hike in summer. That's a big dose of Z1 plus leg strength and endurance.

Yeah, it's really important to me, too. Last summer, I did one ride on my single with my group, dropped everyone except the 2 strongest riders, 77th summer. Everyone I ride with is considerably younger than I. I'm not a talented rider, I just work hard and have a plan for that. Almost all my outdoor rides are on a tandem with my wife, where we usually bring up the rear, fine. I think the tandem is better training than on a single, builds more resilient legs. Besides, it's good for our relationship.
Old 03-03-23, 01:40 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3185 Post(s)
Liked 2,020 Times in 1,158 Posts
You are old and slow. Get used to it. When I was 40 and racing I could do a 40 miler in exactly 2 hours, solo. Now at 68, I'm lucky to be able to do 40, forget the speed. My current speed avg. at age 67 is about 12 and that feels like I'm making an effort. If you were to ride a lot solo during the week and do hard intervals, you could probably train enough to be able to hang with the 30 year olds. You would want a day off prior to doing the group ride. It would be a hard effort though and why ?. I am fortunate that the group of 4-5 folks I have ridden with the past 25-30 years are all aging with me so we all and still have about the same capabilities. We are all early to late 60's. We are not averaging 17-18 anymore and we are OK with that, itt's just good to have a group to ride with.
Likes For Steve B.:
Old 03-03-23, 01:48 PM
roadcrankr
Thread derailleur

Bikes: Merlin Extralight '94 & Cannondale Supersix '15

Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 240 Posts
Second this notion

Originally Posted by Mtl01
Would you consider an pedal assist e-bike? I was at my LBS and they had an e-road bike that hardly looked any different from a regular road bike.

You could use that in a group ride and easily keep up. Then use your current road bike for when you ride alone and aren't slowing a group down.

I'm 68 and can certainly see the value in having one for some rides (like very windy days, lol). I will consider it for my next bike.
Swytch makes a cool front-wheel conversion kit. Rather than install a pedal assist doohicky, use their throttle option.
With their max battery, you'll find that the help up climbs, only, will not needlessly exhaust the battery while you're safely drafting.
Their system adds about five pounds total additional weight, but that's a far cry from a dedicated ebike weighing thirty-plus.
Only problem is Swytch's long delivery lead time on their latest generation. Probably around six months.
Likes For roadcrankr:
Old 03-03-23, 01:55 PM
Bob Ross
your god hates me

Bikes: 2016 Richard Sachs, 2010 Carl Strong, 2006 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1233 Post(s)
Liked 1,241 Times in 689 Posts
Originally Posted by 3940dxer
I carry about 10 lbs. of tools and accessories, but I can’t think of anything I’d be comfortable eliminating.
Even if you're including your water in that, 10lbs sounds like a huge amount of tools and accessories! What sort of stuff are you talking about?
Likes For Bob Ross:
Old 03-03-23, 01:59 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5877 Post(s)
Liked 3,445 Times in 2,066 Posts
There comes a point where we all slow down and may need to make some changes as the bikes we ride and how we ride. It can be hard to wrap our brains around those changes, but it's all part of the fun . . .

Being able to ride with folks 30-40 years younger is impressive but it may not be something you can do forever. Personally I don't think I'd buy an e bike but it is a potential solution since you value doing that ride so much.
Old 03-03-23, 02:52 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2429 Post(s)
Liked 2,889 Times in 1,646 Posts
Flatter one of the faster riders into carrying your 10 pounds of stuff.
Likes For Trakhak:
Old 03-03-23, 03:00 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3638 Post(s)
Liked 5,316 Times in 2,701 Posts
I've never minded riding with the slowest rider but I won't be the slowest. The odd bad day is one thing but having others wait for you every ride just isn't right. When that time comes, best to find another group. I also don't think I would continue with a group if I needed an ebike to keep up. Might as well ride a Vespa or Honda Cub, carry a cooler and drinks for the group.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 03-03-23, 03:02 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 929 Post(s)
Liked 1,595 Times in 1,021 Posts
Originally Posted by 10 Wheels
Start your own group of 70 riders

Getting old is not for the weak!

As a solo rider only I say this because I know of several 70+ riders that could squash me like a BUG!

Last edited by zandoval; 03-03-23 at 03:06 PM.
Old 03-03-23, 03:17 PM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2332 Post(s)
Liked 2,094 Times in 1,311 Posts
Originally Posted by 3940dxer

Last year I injured my shoulder, had to deal with 2 surgeries, and was off the bike for 6 months, but I’ve been back on for 6 months, without any pain or issues.
I am a bit younger but what I have found is recovery from injury takes much more time than when young. You were off 6 months. I would expect at least a year to recover your previous fitness. I broke 10 bones in Sept 2021 and it took until mid Summer 2022 before I was close to the same fitness. And I did not take 6 months off. Be patient. I got Covid just after Thanksgiving and my FTP was off 75 watts and very slowly I am regaining my power. I might take 6 months. I think you should ride as much as you enjoy and just be patient. (get checked by the Docs but in the end, you might just need time)

Would there be a way to offload some of your accessories to others on the ride? Any 70 yo should be cut some slack. 10 pounds is a lot.
Likes For GhostRider62:
Old 03-03-23, 03:17 PM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1924 Post(s)
Liked 1,954 Times in 1,086 Posts
Were you keeping up before your shoulder surgery? Coming back from that is harder these days. Do some above threshold intervals midweek and hit the gym.
Old 03-03-23, 04:12 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3876 Post(s)
Liked 4,781 Times in 2,206 Posts
Originally Posted by Mtl01

I found a 2 year old model (as a new purchase) for just under $3,700 with full Ultegra Di2. My terrain makes every ride a less than easy ride.
Rear hub, Class 1 motor. It gets me up steep hills I struggle with, it gets me up extended moderate grades I struggle with, it extends my range, it allows faster recovery from tough rides so I can ride more often. It is not my only bike. 72 yo.
Pictured bikes 60years apart - what's so different?!?

I don't ride with groups. Best check group ride rules and level of arrogance & intolerance.

…and yeah, 10 pounds of equipment, not including your water bottles, should dictate a weight reduction program, thru lighter or multi-use tools. Trust your equipment, thru good maintenance and pre-ride checks.

Last edited by Wildwood; 03-03-23 at 04:28 PM.
Likes For Wildwood:
Old 03-03-23, 05:28 PM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 838 Post(s)
Liked 1,414 Times in 801 Posts
I turned 70 last September, and have been slowing down the past few years. Other than shorter, purposely faster rides, For longer rides, I rarely average above 15mph anymore. I am ok with that. At some point in aging, one is not going to get significantly better, unless one is really out of shape to begin with. I am still getting in my miles and time on my bikes. That is important to me.
Likes For delbiker1:
Old 03-03-23, 05:33 PM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 838 Post(s)
Liked 1,414 Times in 801 Posts
I turned 70 last September, and have been slowing down the past few years. Other than shorter, purposely faster rides, For longer rides, I rarely average above 15mph anymore. I am ok with that. At some point in aging, one is not going to get significantly better, unless one is really out of shape to begin with. I am still getting in my miles and time on my bikes. That is important to me. I do not carry anywhere near 10 lbs of equipment. I think if I weighed one of my bikes with the normal stuff I take, then weigh it stripped down to just the whole bike, I am guessing about 3 lbs. difference.
Old 03-03-23, 06:00 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7628 Post(s)
Liked 3,453 Times in 1,823 Posts
Lotsd of good advice here .... both for going easier on yourself anf pshing yourself harder, so you have lots of options.

Originally Posted by Wildwood

I did a hilly ride with a guy on one of these ... he was a little older than I, around your age, maybe, and we talked a little ... he didn't want to devote more of his life to riding but he also wanted to stay with his group, so on the hilly rides he got a little help. I didn't even notice when I was checking out his bike until I looked at it from behind ... but he wasn't hiding anything. He wanted to be able to live his life as he wanted, and he wanted to finish his rides with his friends and not so knackered that the rest of the night and the next day were spent in a hot tub, suffering.

if you are interested in riding more miles, Carbonfiberboy and others have solid info, which they have tested themselves. As for recovery, I can attest and also others have told me, that is the first thing to go. You can do the ride but you pay for longer. Even so, being stronger will help with that.

Hope I am not repeating myself, but I knew a guy who was 82 who told me he kept going strong until 77, when his recovery times started increasing---and he was still going strong. He didn't lose a lot of time to injury and illness, unlike yourself, but you can get that back if you choose to, probably. If you choose that route, and proceed sensibly, you could well continue to perform at ridiculous levels (and embarrass the rest of us) for many, many more years to come.
Old 03-03-23, 06:20 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2429 Post(s)
Liked 2,889 Times in 1,646 Posts
Group cycling is far crueler than group running. The effects of small disparities in rider weight, endurance, and strength are amplified on bikes. To make it worse, if and when the faster riders are willing to wait at the top of a hill for the slower riders to labor their way up, the faster guys often take off again immediately, giving the slower riders no chance to recuperate.

An electric road bike is almost certainly the best solution for the OP. People who have found themselves in the same situation have reported that they regained their enthusiasm for group rides after buying an electric bike, especially since they found that they can finely adjust the assistance level to maintain as hard a workout as they're comfortably capable of.
Likes For Trakhak:
Old 03-03-23, 06:47 PM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
I think it’s awesome you are riding witha young group! I’d suggest 2 simple and effective helps. First, weight reduction. Remove tools you don’t need or have to keep. Use your phone for breakdowns, cut the tool weight back. Body weight. Any kind of weight. Hills are directly effected! Second, base miles. This is where base miles gets you through. You will notice the diff on the hillclimbs.
Likes For OldsCOOL:
Old 03-03-23, 07:46 PM
beng1
Banned

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 348 Times in 195 Posts
Thankfully, I love riding alone. I have a group I ride with, but they are all my age or older, all retired guys, so there is always others as slow or slower than I am. I have a noisy heart valve now and it has gotten worse with time, so before long I may not even be able to ride at all unless I have some More heart surgery. I am not a fan of hanging with young people whether they are on bikes or anywhere else, they just don't have the brains, education or maturity that some older people have, so I will never miss them.

I am glad that for me riding is not a social activity, but a bicycling activity, I love cycling and don't need new equipment, people to ride with, any special challenges or goals etc. just the time and ability and that is always a win I am grateful for.
Likes For beng1:
Old 03-03-23, 08:48 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8191 Post(s)
Liked 8,851 Times in 4,396 Posts
I joined a road club in 1989. Lots of people have come and gone but a few are still around from then. I moved away for a few years but when I came back in 2001 I made lots of new friends, I did about 2000 club rides in the following 20 years. I know how attached you can get to riding friends and how exciting it can be to look forward to an epic ride with them.

I was never a fast climber but they never seemed to mind waiting after a big climb. When I got into my 60s my job took so much out of me I had a lot more trouble keeping up. After I retired it took a long time to make any gains. It requires patience. Gains come a lot slower and recovery takes longer.

I always rode with the fast group doing the long rides so that's where my friends are. Thankfully some of them have lost interest in hammering all the time so we stick together when we can.

I did join another club a few years ago and they have been wonderful. Friendly and welcoming to me but it's not quite the same. Their rides are shorter and they don't go as fast. But the main thing is I don't have history with them so I do most of my rides with the old club. Finding another group is easier than dumping the old one if you're connected.

E-bikes are not allowed in many road clubs. There are actually 2 people who ride them with our club and everyone looks the other way because they have been members for nearly 40 years and are safe riders.

edit: What can you carry that weighs 10 pounds? I have a multi tool, tire levers, co2 stuff, tube, patch kit, and mini pump. Maybe 2 pounds?

Last edited by big john; 03-03-23 at 08:52 PM.
Old 03-03-23, 09:25 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3192 Post(s)
Liked 2,461 Times in 1,490 Posts
Father time is a cruel opponent. He's going to win every time. You basically have two options. E assist or find another group. Time to have a "talk" with the rest of the group. Voice your concerns and goals. It's their ride as much as yours. I'm sure something can be worked out.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.