Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

How to upgrade a fork on a Specialized Tero 3.0?

Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Old 03-06-23, 02:44 PM
dirtchurch

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts

The Specialized Turbo Tero 3.0 comes with a spring fork that I would like to replace with the equivalent air fork on the Tero 5.0 - a RockShox Recon Silver RL.

However, I cannot find the appropriate/equivalent RockShox fork online. Specialized lists these specifications for the 5.0's fork:
  • RockShox forks: 42 mm offset; 110mm spacing and 15mm thru axles
The only 29" Recon Silver RL forks I've found online have 51mm offset, not 42mm. For example, here is a listing at REI. Equally baffling is there are no 110mm travel options - this is less of a concern, but weird.

Anyone know what the implications of buying the wrong offset (51mm instead of 42mm) would be? And do I absolutely need to have the correct 15x110mm axle spacing if I want to keep the same wheel? If I'm going to be using this as a commuter and hit some single tracks with it, would you recommend going 100mm travel or 120mm travel?
Thank you!
Old 03-06-23, 10:04 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4331 Post(s)
Liked 3,955 Times in 2,644 Posts
Do you currently own the Tero 3.0 if not get the bike you want. Upgrading is expensive and the base bike leaves a lot to be desired in other places. If you do own it you can get the Judy Silver TK in a 42mm offset pretty easily and they are currently available and your local shop can get one for you in either 120 or 130mm travel. The biggest thing to keep in mind is the Axle to Crown measurement. So long as the fork fits that measurement you are good otherwise you could easily change the geometry of the bike and how it rides.

I went from a 100mm travel to a 140mm travel fork on my Supercharger2 but in the end the A2C was the same (or extremely similar within MMs) so I didn't change my geometry but ended up going quite a bit higher in travel which on a commuter bike isn't really needed but Kashima coating just looks so good and the Fox 36 has the E-bike version so if I do go on trails it can handle it quite well.

You can also always check with Specialized or have your local shop check and see what the max travel they recommend for the Tero. I unfortunately don't have that data off the top of my head because I haven't yet had anyone want to upgrade because I generally steer them towards the better bike so they don't have to. In the end if you see a coil fork on a bike it is a good sign the bike isn't really designed for what it looks like and isn't a great candidate for upgrades unless it is a high end coil shock from say Cane Creek which is going to be rare on a bike from a larger manufacturer a smaller builder totally reasonable but more like you will see a Cane Creek headset before a Cane Creek coil fork from a manufacturer.