Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

What ID do you carry with you on rides?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 03-19-23, 03:02 AM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4258 Post(s)
Liked 2,934 Times in 1,809 Posts

I generally want to have some ID with me on rides, just in case. I always have a copy of my medical insurance card, but also something more official. A very few times over the years I have had reason to interact with police during a ride, and they expect one to have ID.v

At one time, I took my driver's license with me, but switching it back and forth between my jersey and my wallet was a pain. So I started carrying my old *expired* license with me. It still works as ID and there's no requirement that one have a "valid" ID while operating a bicycle.

(also, I always have some cash and usually a credit card. The credit card is one I seldom use for normal transactions, but comes in handy now and again. But now that i can pay for most things with my phone, I am thinking of leaving the cc behind.)

I haven't ridden outdoors in several months, but spring has arrived and out I go. Alas, in the intervening time, my old expired license seems to have gone missing. I'm betting it's in a jersey pocket somewhere, but I haven't found it yet.

What do you carry?
Old 03-19-23, 03:41 AM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 2,019 Times in 1,055 Posts
I put a RoadID on my wrist years ago, when my wife gave it to me, and have not removed it since. So that's always there.

A couple years ago I ended a ride and wanted a pint from a nearby pub, and they refused to serve me since I had no proof of being over 21. I'm 62. I now carry my driver's license for purposes of post-ride beer. Thinking about it, this may be the only time in 50+ years of cycling that I've actually needed ID while on a ride. Oh, wait, no that's not true. I was stopped by a cop in Florida once and he wanted ID. By law I don't think it was necessary to have, but my day may have gone south if I'd not been carrying it.

Passport when outside the US, but that's primarily for safe storage of the passport rather than for identification.

This topic falls into the category of What might happen and how prepared are you? which is a can of worms of course.
Old 03-19-23, 05:02 AM
Jeff Neese

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1080 Post(s)
Liked 681 Times in 438 Posts
Photocopy of drivers license.
Likes For Jeff Neese:
Old 03-19-23, 05:11 AM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Photocopy gets wrecked pretty easily, though I suppose it could be laminated.

I'm thinking that a photo of my license on my phone might be the best idea. Would they accept that at a bar?
It's the heath insurance card that people might need to find without my help.
Old 03-19-23, 05:55 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 997 Posts
both Health Insurance card and DL were photocopied together (duplex) onto one small piece of paper that is folded in the waterproof section of cycling wallet. Another option is I could use my passport card (that you can opt to also get when you get your regular passport).
Likes For Sy Reene:
Old 03-19-23, 06:58 AM
stevel610 

Bikes: Novara Safari, CAAD9, WABI Classic, WABI Thunder

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked 456 Times in 239 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeff Neese
Photocopy of drivers license.
me too. Keep it in a ziplock snack sze bag to potect it. Should probably put my wifes phone number on it too.
Old 03-19-23, 07:42 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2332 Post(s)
Liked 2,094 Times in 1,311 Posts
My phone has a copy of my Medicare card. Surprisingly, when you show up to the ER or Trauma Center with broken appendages, they don't ask for ID or your medical insurance. They didn't look for Road ID either. Of course 2 out of 2 is just an anecdote. I carry two Jacksons and two Ben Franklins on most rides and a credit card on long rides. Unlocked phone to call next of kin.
Old 03-19-23, 07:43 AM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 418 Post(s)
Liked 688 Times in 429 Posts
In addition to the ones already mentioned, I carry an Emergency Medical Record "card". Has practically anything an EMS would need to know. :Your doc or insurance provider should be able to provide you with one.
Old 03-19-23, 08:09 AM
Jeff Neese

Originally Posted by MinnMan
Photocopy gets wrecked pretty easily, though I suppose it could be laminated.
I didn't mention that I "laminate" it using heavy-duty clear packing tape. Seal the copy between two layers and cut to size.
Old 03-19-23, 08:10 AM
Jeff Neese

Originally Posted by stevel610
me too. Keep it in a ziplock snack sze bag to potect it. Should probably put my wifes phone number on it too.
Yep. The reverse side is "In case of emergency" information. I laminate it using clear packing tape.
Old 03-19-23, 08:36 AM
ussprinceton

Bikes: '18 S-Works Tarmac (white letters), '18 S-Works Tarmac (black letters), '22 Allez Elite, '16 Emonda SL, '03 fuel100, '14 adventure3

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 66 Posts
Old 03-19-23, 08:36 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6881 Post(s)
Liked 10,869 Times in 4,634 Posts
Any ER is legally required to treat an injured person, regardless of insurance status. So, no need to carry an insurance card. You can give them that info later, if need be.

Any LEO can look up your driver's license on their squad car's computer; and since cyclists generally aren't required to have driver's licenses anyway, even that is pretty unlikely to ever happen. So, no need to carry a DL, unless you might want to stop for a beer after riding.

If you want first responders to have a contact name and number or other info, get a Road ID. Something stuffed in your jersey pocket is likely to go unnoticed, or to end up separated from you after, say, being hit by a motor vehicle.
Old 03-19-23, 08:53 AM
tak2

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
I have copies of both sides of my drivers license and an emergency contact card each laminated at a copy shop along with a credit card that I don't otherwise use and some cash in a small wallet. Put this and my cell phone in a small zip lock bag and I am good to go.
Old 03-19-23, 09:13 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Originally Posted by Koyote
Any LEO can look up your driver's license on their squad car's computer; and since cyclists generally aren't required to have driver's licenses anyway, even that is pretty unlikely to ever happen. So, no need to carry a DL, unless you might want to stop for a beer after riding.
While this may technically be true, I've heard of situations where if you're being ticketed for a violation (eg. running a red or whatnot), and you can't prove your identity, they can confiscate the bike and/or bring you to the station until your identity is verified.
Old 03-19-23, 09:32 AM
Koyote

Originally Posted by Sy Reene
While this may technically be true, I've heard of situations where if you're being ticketed for a violation (eg. running a red or whatnot), and you can't prove your identity, they can confiscate the bike and/or bring you to the station until your identity is verified.
I'm rather skeptical of this, especially since a LEO can easily access your DL (complete with photo, to verify identity) from the computer in a cruiser. In other words, they can prove your identity quite easily, just from your name. And do you really think a cop wants the hassle of confiscating your bike over a minor issue? I don't.

Also, this might be dependent on the state. In at least one (of the seven) states in which I've lived, there wasn't a requirement to even carry the DL while driving a motor vehicle.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 03-19-23, 09:37 AM
mschwett 

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Quoted: 1272 Post(s)
Liked 1,382 Times in 707 Posts
I'm rather skeptical of this, especially since a LEO can easily access your DL (complete with photo, to verify identity) from the computer in a cruiser. In other words, they can prove your identity quite easily, just from your name…..
pulled over twice on my bike without my DL (don’t carry it) and this is exactly what happened. asked name and address, looked it up, no request for anything else.
Likes For mschwett:
Old 03-19-23, 09:39 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

I'm rather skeptical of this, especially since a LEO can easily access your DL (complete with photo, to verify identity) from the computer in a cruiser. In other words, they can prove your identity quite easily, just from your name. And do you really think a cop wants the hassle of confiscating your bike over a minor issue? I don't.

Also, this might be dependent on the state. In at least one (of the seven) states in which I've lived, there wasn't a requirement to even carry the DL while driving a motor vehicle.
Maybe.. if you even have a driver's license. I understood it that if they issue you a ticket, they want to verify who you are and where you live so that in theory it's enforceable. If you don't have a DL or give the name of someone you know who doesn't have a DL (eg. a 15yr old neighbor or a made up name), then what?
Old 03-19-23, 09:45 AM
jadmt

Bikes: Handsome xoxo, Serotta atx, Canyon Endurace CF8

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 1,842 Times in 830 Posts

I would agree, unless a person is totally being an ass it is simple enough to determine a person's identity as most people have some form of id whether a state id or dl or just a valid address. Now if someone gives conflicting information like two different spellings or DOB's or addresses all bets are off.
Old 03-19-23, 09:45 AM
Koyote

Originally Posted by mschwett
pulled over twice on my bike without my DL (don’t carry it) and this is exactly what happened. asked name and address, looked it up, no request for anything else.
Yup.

Maybe.. if you even have a driver's license. I understood it that if they issue you a ticket, they want to verify who you are and where you live so that in theory it's enforceable. If you don't have a DL or give the name of someone you know who doesn't have a DL (eg. a 15yr old neighbor or a made up name), then what?
Most adults who lack DLs would have state IDs (which are in the same database), I'd be willing to guess. But either way, this is an imaginary problem. The idea that a cop would arrest someone and confiscate a bike over, say, running a red light is pretty far-fetched.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 03-19-23, 09:48 AM
jadmt

I carry my name and phone (some sort of id card) contact infor for my wife. If I am smucked somewhere I don't want to be a john doe waiting to be identified. and usually my phone so they could call others if my wife did not pick up.
Old 03-19-23, 09:52 AM
jadmt

most people are not really good liars unless they do it all the time. Most people don't know all that much about others to get addresses and phone numbers correct let alone middle names and DOB's etc.
Likes For jadmt:
Old 03-19-23, 10:05 AM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 811 Post(s)
Liked 1,946 Times in 936 Posts
I carry an expired DL and a credit card in case I need a Uber/Lyft.
All my rides start from and end at home.
Likes For CAT7RDR:
Old 03-19-23, 10:16 AM
MinnMan

Originally Posted by CAT7RDR
I carry an expired DL and a credit card in case I need a Uber/Lyft.
All my rides start from and end at home.
My ID habits began some year ago, when either Uber and Lyft did not exist, or they existed, but I hadn't really tuned in to them (I forget which). So the cc in those days was for a taxi. now, Uber or Lyft would be paid on the phone app, so the cc isn't really needed for that anymore.

But I still carry a credit card b/c, well, $hit happens.
Old 03-19-23, 10:19 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10243 Post(s)
Liked 11,595 Times in 5,942 Posts
I carry my actual DL, insurance card, credit card, and A Fistful Of Dollars, with my iPhone, in a ziploc snack bag. Takes all of 5 seconds to pull them out of my wallet, and another 5 seconds to put them back after the ride. How much effort is it to pull out your credit card to buy gas? It's about that much effort. And because I do it for every single ride, it's an ingrained habit.

EDIT: If I drive from home to the starting point, I add the car insurance card. If I'm riding after work - which means changing at work, and driving to the start point with my street clothes in a tote bag - I just put my whole wallet in a larger ziploc, because I'm not gonna leave that in the car.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles

Last edited by genejockey; 03-19-23 at 10:24 AM.
Old 03-19-23, 10:22 AM
mschwett 

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Quoted: 1272 Post(s)
Liked 1,382 Times in 707 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
I carry my actual DL, insurance card, credit card, and A Fistful Of Dollars, with my iPhone, in a ziploc snack bag. Takes all of 5 seconds to pull them out of my wallet, and another 5 seconds to put them back after the ride. How much effort is it to pull out your credit card to buy gas? It's about that much effort. And because I do it for every single ride, it's an ingrained habit.
oh it’s definitely not the effort for me … it’s the unacceptably high chance/risk that i’ll forget to take it out, wash the shorts with it in there, or not have it when i need it because it’s in one of my pairs of cycling shorts in a pile in the laundry.

maybe i need a credit card / driver’s license domestique!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.