Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Old farts music

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old farts music

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-21, 11:57 AM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 944 Post(s)
Liked 1,980 Times in 566 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Made a new playlist for when my wife accompanies me in the car. Her taste isn't quite as R&B oriented as mine so I've compromised and added albums that we both really enjoy. Put them on a thumb drive and let the Pioneer receiver shuffle the songs.

Wilson Pickett - Don't Let the Green Grass Fool You
The blues part of your odd musical taste () is strangely familiar. I loves me some Buddy Guy. A couple of suggestions:

Gary Clark Jr. - Check out the live version of "I Don't Owe You a Thing."
Rolling Stones - Some stuff from Blue and Lonesome - "Just Like I Treat You" is awesome.

Old 10-19-21, 12:33 PM
Chickenwings

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 89 Times in 56 Posts
I like the R&B stuff too but like your wife, not THAT much...lol... GREAT list!
Old 10-19-21, 12:35 PM
Gerryattrick
Beicwyr Hapus

Bikes: Genesis Equilibrium, Genesis Datum, Whyte 901 Dawes 701,1973 Harry Hall

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by denaffen
Because I refuse to just listen to old-fart music despite my own encroaching old-fartiness, I've been actively listening to new artists and music lately. I've even considered making a "New Music for Old Farts" Spotify playlist or something. Recent faves albums include:

The Weeknd - "After Hours"
Nathaniel Rateliff - "And it's still alright"
Wolf Alice - "Blue Weekend"
Lightning Bug - "A Color of the Sky"
Dua Lipa - "Future Nostalgia"
Beach Bunny - "Honeymoon"
Celeste - "Not your muse"
Kathleen Edwards - "Total Freedom"

I do still listen to a fair bit of old-fart music, though.
I totally agree about not just listening to old fart music. Need to move with the times.

Recently I have been getting into more edgy modern music such as REM, Oasis, Queen and Nirvana.
Old 10-19-21, 12:39 PM
Chickenwings

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 89 Times in 56 Posts
I'm the opposite. The older I get the more I get entrenched in the 70's and 80's. They were the best of times...they were the worst of times..... Lol
Likes For Chickenwings:
Old 10-19-21, 01:24 PM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 464 Times in 365 Posts
I just went to see Tedeschi Trucks Band. I felt like I was one of the younger crowd there at 66. The band themselves are not that old but they appeal to the Allman Bros and Dead fans. Derek Trucks is phenomenal on guitar, as is Susan Tedeschi when she gets her chance. At the same time I listen to "new music Fridays" on Qobuz streaming for new stuff in all genres, plus their "new releases" playlists, in particular the Indie one.
Old 10-19-21, 02:04 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,534 Times in 1,044 Posts
Originally Posted by Chickenwings
I'm the opposite. The older I get the more I get entrenched in the 70's and 80's. They were the best of times...they were the worst of times..... Lol
Same for me, mostly 50s-60s r&b as well as doo-wop and up through 70s disco, with not much else since with the exception of Prince, Madonna and Michael Jackson.

And of course Whitney Houston.

What a Voice; what a beauty!
Acapella version
Two great videos of Whitney:

Anyone who can't appreciate and love her IS an old fart.

Last edited by I-Like-To-Bike; 10-20-21 at 11:59 AM. Reason: Forgot the Greatest Songbird
Old 10-21-21, 07:35 AM
Vintage Schwinn

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked 396 Times in 259 Posts
Wed Sept 29, 2021 at Thirsty Beaver, JJ Flash himself isn't recognized....
https://jeremymarkovich.substack.com...thirsty-beaver

Thurs Sept 30, 2021 at Bank of America Stadium a crowd of over 40,000 certainly recognized him. It was an incredible show, not to mention a display that being physically fit allows a person to do more and enjoy life better.
https://www.charlotteobserver.com/en...254644892.html

ROLLING STONES Bank of America Stadium CHARLOTTE NC Thursday September 30, 2021 complete concert audience recording AUDIO & VIDEO :

It took 25 years from the old Charlotte Coliseum show 7-6-72 until they returned 10-10-97 to play the first concert ever in this stadium, then known as Ericsson Stadium and then less than two years later in March 1999 , 3-20-99 at the new coliseum... Each of the four Charlotte shows mentioned were magnificent The 1989 tour recording of SATISFACTION from Clemson, South Carolina Death Valley Stadium Sunday Nov 26, 1989 is on FLASHPOINT CD, Brown Sugar, Can't Be Seen, Sad Sad Sad, I THINK ARE ALSO FROM CLEMSON, as is PLAY WITH FIRE on Flashpoint singles..........There are recordings from GATOR BOWL, Jacksonville FLA Sat Nov 25, 1989 on Flashpoint CD , and other '89-'90 shows. CLEMSON was the last outdoor STADIUM show of the 1989 US TOUR. I saw them also at Carter-Finley Stadium in Raleigh NC on Sat Sept 16, 1989 on the first leg of the tour and and again two days before Thanksgiving on Tue NOV 21, 1989 at Grant Field (Bobby Dodd Stadium) in Atlanta. They were better on the 1989 tour than at any point prior to that and that includes both 1969 & 1972. The only live song that they haven't been able to match or exceed in performance quality from the 1969 - 1973 live era has been Love in Vain, as that song LIVE from 1969 US tour through the Feb 1973 AUSTRALIA tour was far superior to the studio recording on Let it Bleed. The studio recording is great too. That incredible fluid melodic soloing from MT and Keef's rhythm part on the live 1972 versions and Australia '73 are outta this world. About twenty years ago, when cd burning was new, I compiled two 74 min CD's of just different LIVE versions of LOVE IN VAIN from at least twenty concerts from 1969-1973. If you saw them in 1978, they did a version closer to the faces (rod & ron wood's group) version. If you saw them in 1975 and 1978, MJ appeared to be more polluted on stage than Keef & Woodie who were likely energized by snow. The capacity crowds there then were fueled by large consumption of alcohol, rocket fuel and who knows what so that the shows were the most energetic and non stop uptempo rock n roll show even if the vocalist could barely slur and drunkenly shout the songs lyrics in perfect beat with the music. Sure, there are a few standout performances from that era but most wouldn't make a live album that casual fans would ever want to hear unless you overdubbed vocals as was done on Get Yer Ya-Yas Out. I think that Carol, Midnight Rambler & Love In Vain are probably the only three songs with Jagger's original concert vocals. They were from a guitars, bass, drums, piano, harmonica, musicianship and cohesive performing unit getting stronger as the US TOUR began and continued.........The Spectrum in Philly on 11-25th, Baltimore on 11-26th, and MSG NY City shows 11-27th & 11-28th, and Boston Garden shows on 11-29th are by far the best of 1969................West Palm Beach 11-30th isn't quite as good, neither is Detroit 11-24th, and their performance at Altamont on Dec 6th isn't very good....... The Hyde Park LONDON July 5th, 1969 show is awful, and the first week of the 1969 US tour certainly does not groove like shows from Nov 15th on. Ft Collins Nov 7th, Los Angeles Nov 8th, Oakland Nov 9th shows, San Diego Nov 10th Phoenix Nov 11th aren't anywhere close to the performances from 11-25 thru 11-29 philly thru boston. Those early US '69 shows are decent compared to the awful July Hyde park show, some songs like Carol are great but others they are still figuring out what works best and evolving them. The 1970 European tour has better more consistant vocals where overdubs wouldn't be needed. The Stones are also performing better than 1969 shows but still haven't gone to the faster song tempo seen in 1972. In 1970 have Keys & Price which weren't on 1969, only had Stu on piano . BROWN SUGAR & ROLL OVER BEETHOVEN are staples on the 1970 EUROPEAN tour of Sept & Oct 1970 .
No doubt that all of you that are old enough, even if you are fans but didn't get to see them '72, saw the Ladies & Gentleman concert film when it was shown at theaters in 1974 or when it was a staple of late night weekend drive-ins during the late seventies. Filmed in Ft Worth 6-24-72 two shows & Houston 6-25-72 two shows....the performance is tremendous but they may have been even better at some July '72 shows. The Spectrum Philadelphia shows July 20th & both July 21st shows there were professionally recorded for the proposed LIVE ALBUM which was killed because Decca-Klein claimed to have rights to certain songs at least until 1975/1976. There were near perfect re -mixes of three songs that somehow leaked out within the past twenty years......All Down The Line, B!^ch, & You Can't Always which indicates that someone authorized with access was perhaps doing so for possible release or re-evaluation for possible few songs as perhaps bonus tracks on some disc or something. Other than those, the other ancient long time bootlegged versions of those have been relatively low grade in terms of sonic quality and better closer to the source copies haven't ever shown up in tape trading/digital file circles in the 49 years since '72.
Several years ago did finally issue the LEEDS England 3-13-71 live fm radio broadcast that was a superb bootleg CD called Leeds Guitars and Tv stars , and before that was in lesser sound quality on the boot LP called Get Your Leeds Lungs Out. As I mentioned earlier Jagger's live vocals were better in 1970 Europe and during March 1971 Goodbye England tour shows. The performances on some England '71 shows are not too good while others are great. The '69 US tour was consistant with the group starting mediocre for the first week and improving as they worked out the songs. 1970 they were even better, but Mar 1971 has some where though Jagger's live vocals sound better, there are one or two where the energy level is not there.
Jagger's vocals would not sound as good until the 1989 tour which arguably he was singing better then than he had ever sung before live in concert.
The band was playing better than it had ever played together before and it was a helluva lot more fun to watch. Jagger , Richards & Wood moved swiftly all over the massive stage. You weren't just seeing the talented fluid lead player who stayed in the same spot. Woody could certainly outrock MT. Wood also can groove and funk and really get down which MT cannot do. Ron Wood was exactly the right guy at the right time when he was doing double duty with Rod & co. and the Stones in '75.
If you got to see Rod (faces) between 1970 and late 1975, you know that Woody was no lightweight as a guitarist, and he played a pretty good bass too, as he was the bass player in the Jeff Beck Group from 1967 to late July 1969.

It is only rock & roll. They seem to be having a lot of fun. That makes it more fun to watch too.
Didn't Dick Cavett ask Mick in '72 at the Madison Square Garden show something like: Do you see yourself doing this at age 50 or 60? I recall the Cavett show filmed at the July 25, 26 1972 MSG show and edited and broadcasted his interview about ten days later on the Dick Cavett show in August.
I guess you're never too old to rock n roll, if you are both lucky & smart enough to be physically fit and able to do it.
Old 10-25-21, 08:26 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Quoted: 763 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 1,008 Posts
I've been digging on Deep Purple, Pink Floyd, Robin Trower, Super Tramp, Rod Stewart, and Yes as of late. I've seen all of these bands in concert at some point in my life, most of them in Europe when my dad was working overseas or when I was in the service and stationed in Europe. It was a glorious time for music.

Old 10-26-21, 09:03 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 687 Posts
Originally Posted by Nachoman
Right now listening to a Grateful Dead show. June 28, 1988.
And in less than two weeks, I've got tickets to see Dead & Company.
funny you mention the dead. I found a bit on Spotify on Saturday. Brings me back. Listened while working on my Spit. It's not really bike music for me.
Likes For spelger:
Old 10-27-21, 04:19 PM
leftthread

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 213 Times in 105 Posts
Two recent faves:

Likes For leftthread:
Old 10-27-21, 06:26 PM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 853 Post(s)
Liked 1,434 Times in 816 Posts
I have been revisiting a couple of albums; "Dragonfly", Jefferson Starship, and "Baron Von Tollbooth and the Chrome Nun", Slick and Kantner and others. I had not heard either one in a long time. Chrome Nun was released on MP3 recently, and I acquired Dragonfly on MP3 also. I like both collections a lot, and it is good to hear them again. I saw Starship in 1974 at the Cap Center in DC, the Dragonfly tour. They put on a very good show, the highlights for me were seeing and hearing Slick belting them out, and Papa John on the fiddle.
Old 10-30-21, 11:37 AM
OldRailfan
Old enough, hmmm?

Bikes: DeVinci, Bianchi, Nishiki, RBSM Mud Adder

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 113 Times in 82 Posts
Originally Posted by Chickenwings
Back in the sixties I used to play in a few different bands; very interesting times to say the least. Started out with instrumental stuff, like Shadows, Spotnicks, Johnny and the Hurricanes, Then on to blues and R&B, after that to a a dance and entertainment band. Followed by a year of busking across the Northern part of Europe.
Do I have a nice collection of old records to go with old memories? Yep, lots of old fart music if the mood hits. Along with eclectic stuff from all over.
Likes For OldRailfan:
Old 10-30-21, 08:01 PM
Vintage Schwinn

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked 396 Times in 259 Posts
OTIS REDDING Ready Steady Go (LIVE BBC television) Sept 16, 1966

at the OLYMPIA in PARIS 1966

Monterey June 17, 1967

Old 11-05-21, 05:36 PM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
‘78 was a great year, fantastic summer that had some really super music. Always eased the volume up on the transistor radio we kept hidden away in the back room of the produce dept, I worked in to pay for university tuition, when Baker Street came up on the rotation the AOR FM station that kept us sane.

Good times!

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 11-05-21, 06:07 PM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 874 Post(s)
Liked 2,287 Times in 1,278 Posts
I am all over the place when it comes to music. From alternative to rock to country, jazz, folk, and some new music. I just started listening to the Revivalists a bit and got a couple of albums. But my usual is late sixties to early seventies. I miss the album covers! The little thumb nail pic on my phone don’t get it.
Likes For Kabuki12:
Old 11-08-21, 10:32 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
"Old farts music" can best be described as music with a melody and where you can understand what the singer is singing.
Old 11-08-21, 04:21 PM
big john

Quoted: 8275 Post(s)
Liked 9,033 Times in 4,471 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
"Old farts music" can best be described as music with a melody and where you can understand what the singer is singing.
As this thread clearly demonstrates, it depends on which old fart you are talking about.
Likes For big john:
Old 11-08-21, 09:54 PM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1581 Post(s)
Liked 1,189 Times in 605 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
Here you go ... one of my all-time favourites -- melody, clarity, the works.
Likes For badger1:
Old 11-08-21, 10:27 PM
big john

Originally Posted by badger1
Here you go ... one of my all-time favourites -- melody, clarity, the works.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kv7DDku3KE
1966? My first exposure to Zappa. Saw the Mothers in 1971 and again a few years later.

Last edited by big john; 11-08-21 at 10:32 PM.
Likes For big john:
Old 11-09-21, 09:13 AM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1581 Post(s)
Liked 1,189 Times in 605 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
1966? My first exposure to Zappa. Saw the Mothers in 1971 and again a few years later.

Frank Zappa - Inca Roads (A Token Of His Extreme) - YouTube
Heh! I bought that album (Freak Out) when it released -- must've been '66. Love at first listen.
I only saw the Mothers of Invention once, also 1971 (in Vancouver [B.C.]). The same tour -- the one with Flo & Eddie in the line-up? That was a fantastic show.
Likes For badger1:
Old 11-09-21, 09:19 AM
big john

Originally Posted by badger1
Heh! I bought that album (Freak Out) when it released -- must've been '66. Love at first listen.
I only saw the Mothers of Invention once, also 1971 (in Vancouver [B.C.]). The same tour -- the one with Flo & Eddie in the line-up? That was a fantastic show.
Yep. Flo and Eddie. 3+ hours non stop. They did Billy the Mountain and Lonesome Cowboy Burt. Finished with Happy Together. Pauley Pavillion at UCLA.

The other time was at the Roxy, a 500 seat club in Hollywood. It was the same (don't know if the actual) show as the video I posted, with George Duke and Ruth Underwood.
Likes For big john:
Old 11-09-21, 09:25 AM
big john

Likes For big john:
Old 11-09-21, 11:49 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Todays "music" sounds like an 18 wheeler with a load of hogs being t-boned by an 18 wheeler loaded with empty milk cans!!!

Last edited by rydabent; 11-10-21 at 07:38 PM.
Old 11-09-21, 11:53 AM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4337 Post(s)
Liked 2,980 Times in 1,617 Posts
I really like female singers with strong voices.
Likes For DiabloScott:
Old 11-09-21, 12:47 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4384 Post(s)
Liked 3,016 Times in 1,865 Posts
I like Reina del Cid. Her covers are good, too.
Likes For MinnMan:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.