Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

wrist guard recommendations

Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Old 10-02-22, 12:29 PM
bike_forum_geek

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts

Hi there forum-ers. I'm looking for wrist guards for mountain biking. There's lots of wrist guards for skating, boarding, etc. I want protection if I fall, but I don't want grip interference or wrist trouble while riding for hours. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by bike_forum_geek; 10-02-22 at 05:51 PM. Reason: mispelling
Old 10-02-22, 07:03 PM
.Slideways.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I fractured my wrist on my first outing this year and started looking for wrist protection but couldn’t find anything that didn’t make holding handlebars awkward. Compression sleeves didn’t feel like they would offer much support on impact. Maybe compression sleeve with a splint only on the outside? I couldn’t find one though.
Old 10-03-22, 09:22 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2749 Post(s)
Liked 2,516 Times in 1,422 Posts
Originally Posted by bike_forum_geek
Hi there forum-ers. I'm looking for wrist guards for mountain biking. There's lots of wrist guards for skating, boarding, etc. I want protection if I fall, but I don't want grip interference or wrist trouble while riding for hours. Thanks in advance.
I would be interested to know if you find one, but I can’t see how that would work and still have a good grip on the bars as well and giving the full mobility needed.

Even DH racers who wear full body armor (shins, knees, elbows, arms, chest, back/spine and massive full face helmets ) don’t wear wrist protectors. My guess is because it interferes with riding.

You should avoid trying to catch yourself in a fall using you hands. At most, use your hands/arms to guide the fall, not to slow it down.
Old 10-03-22, 09:31 AM
bike_forum_geek

Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Thanks for the response. I found these, they seem to fit over gloves, and provide some protection. I'll post results. <a href="https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B074SJYRD1/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=A2I8SIVDKUBU2K&amp;amp;th=1&amp;amp;psc=1">https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B074SJYRD1/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=A2I8SIVDKUBU2K&amp;th=1&amp;psc=1</a>

Last edited by bike_forum_geek; 10-11-22 at 10:33 AM. Reason: new info
Old 10-11-22, 10:37 AM
bike_forum_geek

Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
I ended up with this combination. PROS: feels like good protection, though I'm more mindful of speed to avoid crashing. CONS: restrictive, but workable; and harder to gear up, the wrist guards barely fit over gloves. But, with some effort it works.

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07ZX9VP...roduct_details

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B074SJYR...ils&th=1&psc=1