Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recumbent
Reload this Page >

Tire Pressure for Rails to Trails

Notices
Recumbent What IS that thing?! Recumbents may be odd looking, but they have many advantages over a "wedgie" bicycle. Discuss the in's and out's recumbent lifestyle in the recumbent forum.

Old 10-09-22, 12:37 PM
jays35

Bikes: 3 - Bianchis

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

All, we have a Catrike Villager with Schwalbe Marathon Racers (20”x1.5”), with a tire pressure range of 55 to 85 psi. I rode with them at 60 psi on the trail and it was a little bit of a rough ride.

My question(s) is….would dropping the pressure down to 55 psi help and be safe? or are there other tire suggestions that would smooth out the ride?

Thanks in advance!

Dave
Old 10-09-22, 02:51 PM
Inusuit

Bikes: 1995 Specialized Rockhopper,1989 Specialized Rock Combo, 2013 Specialized Tarmac Elite

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 588 Times in 278 Posts
55 would be safe but I don't think you would notice the difference in ride quality with a change of five pounds. What made the ride "rough?' What was the surface of the trail? I think surface treatment varies by location from asphalt to smooth clay to crushed granite to gravel of varying sizes. Consider a wider tire that can be run at a lower pressure.
Old 10-09-22, 05:52 PM
jays35

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Inusuit
55 would be safe but I don't think you would notice the difference in ride quality with a change of five pounds. What made the ride "rough?' What was the surface of the trail? I think surface treatment varies by location from asphalt to smooth clay to crushed granite to gravel of varying sizes. Consider a wider tire that can be run at a lower pressure.
Inusuit, thanks for the quick reply and the input! The surface was mostly crushed stone and a few places had small chat. It just seemed to bounce you around.
Old 10-10-22, 02:09 PM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 521 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 179 Posts
The trade off for a softer ride is a slight loss of efficiency. The reason riders went to narrow, high pressure tires years ago it that it makes pedaling easier so you go faster or further with the same effort pedaling. The one caveat is that softer tires are more susceptible to pinch flats. That's a bigger concern with narrower tires like the 700C X 23 on my Catrike 700 trike. You can use the guide at the Sheldon Brown website to determine how wide you can go safely. See the chart on "width considerations" in red and green.
Old 10-11-22, 05:14 PM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 526 Posts
I have the same tires on my ICE Sprint. I usually run them at 60 psi, but have run them as low as 50, which did increase comfort a bit. My trike has a suspended rear so I don't feel the jolts as much, Still, when I replace the tires I plan on installing Big Apples for a softer ride.

My recommendation is to experiment a bit. As long as your tires are not deforming appreciably under load they have sufficient pressure. Lower pressures affect efficiency; however on an unpaved track it's probably negligible.
Old 10-11-22, 06:37 PM
jays35

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Moe and Vegas,

Thanks for the input!