Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Fused big toe joint - need ideas for shoes/cleat placement

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-09, 08:05 PM
gary@welsh.com

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)

I have a fused big toe which prevents me from using "normal" cleats and shoes. Anyone have any ideas for shoes or cleats that would allow me to "attach" to the pedal farther back on my foot than usual. More toward the instep or heal would be great as I have a lot of pain in the ball of my foot when I walk or place weight on it.

Thank you for your help.

Old 04-26-09, 03:02 AM
meb

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by gary@welsh.com
I have a fused big toe which prevents me from using "normal" cleats and shoes. Anyone have any ideas for shoes or cleats that would allow me to "attach" to the pedal farther back on my foot than usual. More toward the instep or heal would be great as I have a lot of pain in the ball of my foot when I walk or place weight on it.

Thank you for your help.
Mountain bike SPD shoes usually have the cleat farther back, but the sole is more flexible.
Road shoes are stiffer but mount the cleats more forward.
Might be picking the lesser of 2 evils.

Maybe a cobler can modify a shoe.
Old 04-26-09, 04:28 AM
Hocam
Ho-Jahm

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Anyway to use a size or two up and pad the inside so it's the right size?
Old 04-26-09, 05:15 AM
4cmd3

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by meb
Mountain bike SPD shoes usually have the cleat farther back, but the sole is more flexible.
Road shoes are stiffer...
Probably true as a generalization, but you can get very stiff mountain shoes if this is a concern. For example, Sidi's top end mountain shoe uses the same full carbon role as their road shoe... I'm sure the same is probably true with Specialized etc.
Likes For 4cmd3:
Old 04-26-09, 09:31 AM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1097 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 446 Posts
How do you achieve comfort in ordinary walking shoes? I would think that walking would be a bigger problem than cycling.

I would also think that custom orthotics that transfer a lot of the pressure to the arch area would be wise. Not all brands of shoes can adequately accomodate custom orthotics. D2 and Rocket 7 shoes can both be had with custom orthotics, but both are pricey. I use the D2 myself. Just about any shoe that has a real carbon fiber sole can be custom drilled to reposition the cleats. I recently modified my D2 shoes to mount the Speedplay cleat directly to the shoe, without the 3-hole adapter. There is no longer any cleat fore-aft adjustment, but I don't need it. I got the cleats where I wanted them and no longer have to worry about the position. I drilled and tapped the carbon with M4 threads. If the threads ever strip out, I've got some small metal thread inserts that I can glue into place to repair the threads.

Last edited by DaveSSS; 04-26-09 at 09:36 AM.
Old 04-26-09, 11:18 AM
milnerpt

Bikes: Scott scale 29er, Gary fisher Rig SS 29er, Fuji Cross pro, Novara Randonee, Scattante TI custom build, Fuji Team

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1st MTP fusion.... when you walk, your foot is designed for that great toe to extend as you transition from the ball of your foot to push off. having a rocker bottom or rigid sole in walking shoes helps.

for cycling, i would think there really isnt any 1st toe pushoff. just get a really rigid sole, put the cleat placement just behind your MTP joint (the arch side of the ball of your foot). I would think putting some crazy placement way back in your arch would not only feel crazy akward, but also cause some weird other problems up your leg.

this is all assuming your 'fused great toe' is at your MTP joint and not at the IP joint... at the ball of the foot, not the knuckle in your toe..
Old 04-26-09, 11:06 PM
gary@welsh.com

Thank you

I also lost both sesamoids so the ball of my foot is pretty tender and will be for awhile, but your comment is very helpful and I see your point about placing cleats too far back.

Thank you for your thoughtful response.

Regards,

Gary

Old 04-26-09, 11:08 PM
gary@welsh.com

Thank you

Dave,

Thank you for your suggestion. I will check out both D2 and Rocket7.

Regards,

Gary

Old 04-26-09, 11:12 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
So fusing the big toe created more pain?

I've got arthritis in the joint that attaches the big toe on my right foot to my foot ... I'm in constant pain when I walk, and even cycling can be quite painful. Apparently there is enough bone degeneration that the Drs are now suggesting fusing it. I was thinking that perhaps fusing it would reduce the pain.
Old 04-26-09, 11:27 PM
gary@welsh.com

Toe fusion

Yes, the fusion has helped a lot, but I also lost both sesamoids so that is where the pain is coming from. After much experience I would definitely recommend avoiding orthopedists and try to find a podiatrist that does exclusively recontructive work. I have the name of a phenomenal one in Boston if that is of any help now or in the future.

Old 11-11-22, 12:46 PM
pnuts5

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gary@welsh.com

Thank you for your help.

I know exactly where you are coming from. Fusing my great toe was the worst decision I have ever made. It has ruined my life.
Old 11-11-22, 12:48 PM
pnuts5

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
After toe fusion, it is typical for the entire foot to shrink. The joint is shortened significantly. This causesthe affected foot to need a size smaller. A larger size would be disastrous.
Old 11-11-22, 01:43 PM
thin_concrete
Achtung!

Bikes: 60.1, Marvel

Quoted: 515 Post(s)
Liked 268 Times in 161 Posts
Originally Posted by pnuts5
After toe fusion, it is typical for the entire foot to shrink. The joint is shortened significantly. This causesthe affected foot to need a size smaller. A larger size would be disastrous.

Well, I’m hoping in the 13.5 years since this thread was started the OP has found a solution.
Old 11-11-22, 04:21 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6178 Post(s)
Liked 4,795 Times in 3,307 Posts
Originally Posted by thin_concrete
Well, I’m hoping in the 13.5 years since this thread was started the OP has found a solution.
It's taken the Zombie resurrectionist six months to get over the trauma sustained in their first zombie resurrection to get enough courage to return. So I suppose we need to be gentle and maybe they'll start conversing with the living and current conversations.