Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Disabilities organizations, individuals sue DC over new bike lane designs.

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-22, 11:52 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26389 Post(s)
Liked 10,365 Times in 7,197 Posts

One of the streets mentioned in the lawsuit is 17th Street NW. The lawsuit claims that the DDOT constructed protected bike lanes that puts individuals with disabilities at risk of being hit by cyclists with the lanes obstructing pickup and drop-off areas.

In addition, the placement of tire stops and posts prevent wheelchair users and other people who need curb ramps from accessing them, according to the lawsuit.

“Unfortunately, the District has chosen to build bike lanes in a way that blocks safe
curb access for the disabled and the elderly, rendering them unable to fully participate in all aspects of our community — shopping, dining, visiting doctors, going to church or synagogue,” said Ed Hanlon of the Dupont East Civic Action Association, an organizational plaintiff in the case.
https://wtop.com/dc/2022/11/disabili...-lane-designs/
Old 11-22-22, 12:14 PM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
In Cambridge (our fair city) MA, accessible parking places remain on the curb, and people on bicycles slalom around them.

It's not either/or. It's both/and.

-mr. bill
Old 11-22-22, 12:58 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

...I can tell you from personal experience that there are a lot of problems yet to be solved with this design.

Old 11-22-22, 01:03 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Old 11-23-22, 02:33 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 3,958 Times in 2,646 Posts
One of the organizations involved the "Dupont East Civic Action Assocation" is in support of mandatory licenses, helmets, insurance, education/training which are all a good barrier to a lot of people cycling and will turn people off of cycling. I am all for redesigning bike lanes so that things can be accessible for those who need it but not to put up more barriers to cycling. I want more accessible cities I have friends that have mobility issues so making it easier would be great and I think all cities need more and better bike lanes and I don't think those are mutually exclusive at all. However introducing anti-cycling elements is bad even if on the bare surface some of that stuff doesn't sound absolutely horrible.

I will say I would much rather slightly inconvenience a car and passenger than have a greater chance of harming or worse killing a cyclist. I am not saying that any of this is doing any of that and again I think positive outcomes for both can be achieved but I am always cautious because sometimes inconvenience is viewed as worse than actual harm or death and that is sad. It is the society we live in though.
Old 11-23-22, 05:29 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

https://keepdupontgreen.org/17th-st-bike-plan/
Based on DDOTs data on the number of cyclists currently using Conn Ave., on a typical day, 68 cyclists were observed on Conn Ave all day. No more than 11 bikers cross the intersection at Nebraska Ave., so presumably no more than 11 would use the full length of the proposed lanes. This revelation supports critics like the city-wide Coalition on DDOT Bike Plans who say the network of Protected Bike Lanes (PBLs) will benefit a tiny demographic of privileged young men, who work downtown. https://saveconnecticutave.org/f/only-handful-of-cyclists-use-conn-ave-each-day

DDOT further reports that both the number and percentage of cyclists in DC peaked in 2017 and have fallen every year since. Nonetheless, DDOT projects a more than 1,000% increase in bike ridership. PBLs in the District are not increasing bike ridership, DDOT reports. Is it possible that cycling was a millennial fad that peaked in 2017, and as they age, they are biking less?
...speaking as someone who rode a bicycle all over D.C. in the 70's, both downtown and in the Maryland 'burbs, it's gratifying to discover I was "privileged". And it's a special comfort to discover that citizen action groups there are just as crazy as ever.
Old 11-24-22, 02:49 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2479 Post(s)
Liked 2,948 Times in 1,674 Posts
Originally Posted by 3alarmer
Baltimore tried that design for a stretch of heavily used road that passes two private schools. Within a few months, a large number of the white posts were flattened by parents parallel parking badly. Not enough posts were flattened to allow street-cleaning trucks to clear the debris and piles of leaves that had accumulated in the bike lane, though.

After a year or so, the remaining posts were removed and the pavement repainted to a more workable configuration: traffic lane, bike lane, buffer zone, parking lane.
Old 11-24-22, 07:16 PM
mschwett 

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1273 Post(s)
Liked 1,384 Times in 708 Posts
We have quite a few of these lanes now; cars -> parking -> buffer -> bike lane -> sidewalk/pedestrians.

Some have the white mountable posts, some don’t.

They are blocked by delivery vehicles / TNC vehicles / rude people FAR less often than the traditional cars -> bike lane -> parking -> sidewalk design. And no risk of being doored. Significantly increased risk of a pedestrian encounter, but overall, they are superior.
Old 11-30-22, 09:29 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by mr_bill
In Cambridge (our fair city) MA, accessible parking places remain on the curb, and people on bicycles slalom around them.

It's not either/or. It's both/and.

-mr. bill

Can't speak for anyone else, but if it's me, I bailed to the lef of that the bike lane well before that when I saw this set-up: https://www.google.com/maps/@42.3992...7i16384!8i8192

No way am I riding to the right of right turn lanes.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 11-30-22, 11:37 AM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
Clarendon Ave is part of the longstanding Cambridge/Somerville border wars. At the Somerville border, it turns one way (Somerville outbound only). It is essentially a dead end street in one block, so it only serves local traffic.

You absolutely should not be an absolutist here.

p.s. In Massachusetts, you absolutely have the right to ride in either the bicycle lane or the general travel lane. You can also ride in some bus lanes (but not this one, unless you are turning right.)

-mr. bill