Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

What You Got???

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

What You Got???

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-22, 07:02 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
What You Got???

Moving from Piedmont NC to the NC Coast in a couple months. We’ll be 2-3 miles from seaside and in a well established subdivision. The main driver is getting out of our 5 bedroom 2 story house with the Master upstairs. We’re just trying to plan ahead for when our legs resist stair climbing!!!! We’re building a new 3 bedroom one story house and with COVID, material challenges and labor issues it’s taking forever. But we’re retired so no big issue except for the market changes for selling our house and rising mortgage rates. I can still borrow money cheaper than I can invest it so why not??? It’s going to be the kids house one day anyway.

I’ve been playing golf for 60+ years and luckily our backyard will be at the first tee of one of 3 golf courses in our subdivision. Woo hoo!!! A good day will be early morning fishing, a casual 20-30 mile bike ride plus 18 holes of golf…….followed by grilled fresh seafood and wine, beer or coastal beverages!!!

Really going to miss living in a terrific cycling area in Piedmont NC with lots of route options. But traffic has increased 10 fold so maybe a little less traffic for 9 months a year??? Plus I’ve checked off all my cycling goals so what in the heck would I need to train for anyway????

Anyway, as a kid I really enjoyed surf fishing and look forward to fishing and watching the sunrises!! I have a 20+ year old Trex chromoly mountain bike I plan to use commuting over to the beach. I think it’s a triple front and 7 sp rear. I’m envisioning getting a trailer which I can put a small cooler, beach chair, bait, lunch, snacks and fishing rods in. The roads are paved over to the beach but once I get there I’ll probably ride another 3-4 miles on sand to get to fishing spots away from crowds. There’s a pretty good climb in both directions over a bridge crossing the Intracoastal waterway that’s about a 5% grade in both directions so I need to make sure the trailer doesn’t pass me on the descents!!! First choice is to fasten the trailer to the seat post but wide open at this point.

Suggestions??? I’m visual so pictures or links are helpful!!
Old 08-21-22, 09:45 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8261 Post(s)
Liked 8,996 Times in 4,455 Posts
Wow, big step. Must have been hard to leave that house. Must be lots of good memories there.

You want suggestions for a trailer? Consider a B.O.B.
Likes For big john:
Old 08-21-22, 11:04 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3897 Post(s)
Liked 4,827 Times in 2,228 Posts
Sounds like you got it planned and executed jppe.

watch out for hurricanes, high tides, rogue waves, beach babes. (no pics).

Palmetto bugs and no-seeums are pesky. (no pics).

Only thing missing, imho, is good whiskey.

Almost Empty

Almost Full
Buy local, drink local

Keep smilin’

edit: oh - trailer recco, buy something used. It will get smelly hauling fish bait. (no pics = not a fisherman)

Last edited by Wildwood; 08-21-22 at 11:12 PM.
Old 08-22-22, 01:45 AM
50PlusCycling

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 548 Post(s)
Liked 792 Times in 403 Posts
We got a house on the beach in Kamakura, Japan. It’s 3 stories tall, but we solved the stairs issue by adding an elevator to the design. The biggest problem in building the house was the living room window, which was 10 meters long. Having it made was one thing, getting it to the site safely was quite another. Kamakura is an old city, it’s famous for the Great Daibutsu (Buddha) statue, which was cast of bronze some 750 years ago, though Kamakura was an ancient town even before then. The area has good cycling, surfing, fishing, and hiking, though the traffic is quite bad on the weekends. The food is excellent, and a couple of Japan’s best restaurants are nearby.

We also have a new place in Honolulu overlooking Ala Moana park and the beach. The climate in Hawaii is better than in Japan, I spent last month in our new condo recovering from COVID and working on my tan. As an American it is nice to be in a place where I understand the language and where I can drive on the right side of the road. On the negative side the cost of living in Hawaii is now significantly higher than Japan (which is saying something). My wife and I are on the fence as to where we will live when we retire, it’s not an easy choice, it will probably depend on where our kids decide to go to college..

i don’t play golf, the last time I hit a golfball was when. I was 17, and it resulted in the police being called on me. Cycling and squash are my main physical vices. What I miss about North Carolina is the barbecue, the trees, and speaking to other people with my accent. But I don’t suppose it’s cool to be a member of the “Sons of the Confederacy” anymore.
Old 08-22-22, 07:42 AM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Originally Posted by big john
Wow, big step. Must have been hard to leave that house. Must be lots of good memories there.

You want suggestions for a trailer? Consider a B.O.B.
Maybe after we leave the house we’ve been in for 30 years there might be some emotions. But our mindset right now is we can’t leave it soon enough!!!! Seems like stuff continues to “break” and needs attention. The current item is our well I put in 6 years ago just for irrigating the yard and our garden. Replaced the pump controls but looks like something is going on in the well piping. The guys that installed it are coming to pull it this week. It’s money I’d rather not have to spend!!! We overhauled the house 6 years ago when I retired so it’s been updated and shows really well. More than you want to know but the well was installed while I was riding my bike across the US in 2016. The installer kept calling me while I was riding telling me he’d gone down another 100’ but not hitting enough water. I think I was in Idaho at the time??? We were hoping to hit water around 200’ but he had to go almost 700’. Blew my budget on that one…….

I’ll take a look at a B.O.B.
Old 08-22-22, 07:47 AM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Originally Posted by Wildwood
Sounds like you got it planned and executed jppe.

watch out for hurricanes, high tides, rogue waves, beach babes. (no pics).

Palmetto bugs and no-seeums are pesky. (no pics).

Almost Empty

Almost Full
Buy local, drink local

Keep smilin’

edit: oh - trailer recco, buy something used. It will get smelly hauling fish bait. (no pics = not a fisherman)
Those look awesome. There are more distilleries popping up locally. There’s one in Mt Airy (Mayberry/Andy Griffith) that I really like. I have to watch myself with good whiskey. Once I get started…….
Old 08-22-22, 09:10 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2599 Post(s)
Liked 1,924 Times in 1,208 Posts

Almost Empty

Almost Full
Buy local, drink local
What's with the fancy bottles? Quart Mason jar is all you need!
Old 08-22-22, 10:31 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Originally Posted by jppe
Those look awesome. There are more distilleries popping up locally. There’s one in Mt Airy (Mayberry/Andy Griffith) that I really like. I have to watch myself with good whiskey. Once I get started…….
Fortunately, not one of my problems. A dram at a time. Or, as an accomplice in creating fun times.

@pdlamb - well,....local is local - but do they deliver?
Old 08-22-22, 11:02 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2599 Post(s)
Liked 1,924 Times in 1,208 Posts
@pdlamb - well,....local is local - but do they deliver?
Sure they do, and they're fast, too! Remember how NASCAR got started?
Likes For pdlamb:
Old 08-22-22, 11:42 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Yes. Born KY, raised TN, matriculated MS.
Then I learned a bigger World.
Old 08-22-22, 12:17 PM
gobicycling
Made it to 84 WHOOPIE

Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked 493 Times in 153 Posts
Have fun in your new location. It's an interesting thing about the stairs and houses. We moved from a two-story to a ranch 22 years ago, in anticipation of my wife's knee problems. On the other hand if you go to the gym what do you find, stair climbers and people climbing stairs on these climbers all over the place. We have a basement which is partially finished and I do climb the stairs and consider it part of my training regimen.

Last edited by gobicycling; 08-22-22 at 02:59 PM.
Likes For gobicycling:
Old 08-23-22, 11:27 AM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 944 Post(s)
Liked 1,974 Times in 565 Posts
Moving from Piedmont NC to the NC Coast in a couple months. We’ll be 2-3 miles from seaside and in a well established subdivision. The main driver is getting out of our 5 bedroom 2 story house with the Master upstairs. We’re just trying to plan ahead for when our legs resist stair climbing!!!! We’re building a new 3 bedroom one story house and with COVID, material challenges and labor issues it’s taking forever. But we’re retired so no big issue except for the market changes for selling our house and rising mortgage rates. I can still borrow money cheaper than I can invest it so why not??? It’s going to be the kids house one day anyway.

I’ve been playing golf for 60+ years and luckily our backyard will be at the first tee of one of 3 golf courses in our subdivision. Woo hoo!!! A good day will be early morning fishing, a casual 20-30 mile bike ride plus 18 holes of golf…….followed by grilled fresh seafood and wine, beer or coastal beverages!!!

Really going to miss living in a terrific cycling area in Piedmont NC with lots of route options. But traffic has increased 10 fold so maybe a little less traffic for 9 months a year??? Plus I’ve checked off all my cycling goals so what in the heck would I need to train for anyway????

Anyway, as a kid I really enjoyed surf fishing and look forward to fishing and watching the sunrises!! I have a 20+ year old Trex chromoly mountain bike I plan to use commuting over to the beach. I think it’s a triple front and 7 sp rear. I’m envisioning getting a trailer which I can put a small cooler, beach chair, bait, lunch, snacks and fishing rods in. The roads are paved over to the beach but once I get there I’ll probably ride another 3-4 miles on sand to get to fishing spots away from crowds. There’s a pretty good climb in both directions over a bridge crossing the Intracoastal waterway that’s about a 5% grade in both directions so I need to make sure the trailer doesn’t pass me on the descents!!! First choice is to fasten the trailer to the seat post but wide open at this point.

Suggestions??? I’m visual so pictures or links are helpful!!
I live within a mile of the ocean, and I can tell ya that riding any bike near the beach will result in significant corrosion. That old chromoly bike is probably perfect. Rinse it off with fresh water at home after riding it, but will still last you only a few years before things get pretty bad. When that happens, buy another on ebay or CL.

Sounds like you've got things all planned out pretty well!

Likes For Biker395:
Old 08-23-22, 11:53 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6177 Post(s)
Liked 4,794 Times in 3,306 Posts
Any desire to sail? Get a sailboat. I had a Hunter 28.5 for over ten years and it was a great enjoyment for me to sail it. I've found that sail boat owners are very easy to meet and make good friends with. I got to go with some of them on their boats up the Eastern seaboard several times and even a trip to Nova Scotia which was a very interesting and enjoyable experience meeting all the people along the way.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 08-24-22, 06:24 AM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1946 Post(s)
Liked 2,004 Times in 1,105 Posts
I recommend a Carry Freedom trailer.

Old 08-24-22, 10:05 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

^^^^. THAT's IT! take up surfing - more exciting than golf.
Old 08-24-22, 10:32 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3885 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
We live in a 2 story apartment in the back of a boatshop on a minor dead-end industrial street. Our backside is the Snohomish River complete with a dock. Living on the river, we are at the bottom. We can cycle 2 miles and be in steep hills with little-used roads. Or we can drive 45' and be in the mountains and hiking or climbing.

When we retired from active building some years ago, we talked about moving. Moving??? From this glorious irreplaceable spot? I don't think so. The 2-story thing is a bonus. I must climb those stairs 100 times a day. I run up them when my legs don't hurt. They'll carry us out of here feet first. Well, we hope so, though that's rather improbable. Still, I've always been lucky.

Back when I was a kid, I took my R60US to Ibiza. Took a week for the chrome to start going and the rust to start. I was amazed and properly bummed. Ibiza was nice though, back in the day.
Old 08-24-22, 11:44 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
Back when I was a kid, I took my R60US to Ibiza. Took a week for the chrome to start going and the rust to start. I was amazed and properly bummed. Ibiza was nice though, back in the day.
My first wife lived on Majorca, visited Ibiza a few times - mid-1970s.
Old 08-25-22, 01:15 AM
jppe
Let's do a Century

^^^^. THAT's IT! take up surfing - more exciting than golf.
Well, we actually just sold my daughters surf board!!! I love body surfing but riding a board is a nonstarter. Heck, I was even a complete bust on roller boards!!!
Old 08-25-22, 04:32 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,579 Times in 2,341 Posts
smart move. my Dad lasted till almost 95 in my childhood home, but those stairs! Mom is still doing it. the new hip helps, but at 92 the clock is ticking ... my MIL was smart & sold her house & moved herself into a multi stage elder community. she's since given up driving & moved up a stage in their stepped living quarters. every time she falls out of bed we get a call
Old 08-25-22, 06:59 AM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1946 Post(s)
Liked 2,004 Times in 1,105 Posts
Research says we live-to-ride longer if we live in a two story house. (Bonus years if we have a pet)
Old 08-25-22, 07:44 AM
gobicycling
Made it to 84 WHOOPIE

Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked 493 Times in 153 Posts
Originally Posted by Classtime
Research says we live-to-ride longer if we live in a two story house. (Bonus years if we have a pet)
I would sure like to see that research. Also, If the pet climbs steps, do they live longer?
Old 08-25-22, 01:42 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Originally Posted by rumrunn6
smart move. my Dad lasted till almost 95 in my childhood home, but those stairs! Mom is still doing it. the new hip helps, but at 92 the clock is ticking ... my MIL was smart & sold her house & moved herself into a multi stage elder community. she's since given up driving & moved up a stage in their stepped living quarters. every time she falls out of bed we get a call
Just moved the in-laws (94 & 90) to an assisted living facility last year. That prompted my wife to get us moving into a single story home.

We get the same phone calls on falls as well. Unfortunately my FIL fell into my MIL last week knocking them both down, requiring a visit to the ER for my MIL's bleeding head.........
Old 08-25-22, 08:40 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,579 Times in 2,341 Posts
my FIL fell into my MIL last week knocking them both down, requiring a visit to the ER for my MIL's bleeding head.........
not funny but something funny about that. my in laws crashed into each other riding bikes on Martha's Vineyard. I think they gave up the bikes after that. hope yours are comfortable
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 11-15-22, 02:18 PM
fat biker

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 25 Posts
One level for me, thank you.
I watched my maternal grandmother struggle up and down the steps to their San Francisco home.
All 5 of her surviving grandchildren suffer arthritis. Hip replacement in my near future.
The benefits of dogs in the house is well documented.
Replacement dogs for us will have to wait for the new hips.

fat biker
Old 11-17-22, 06:22 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1065 Post(s)
Liked 780 Times in 502 Posts
IMO, nothing wrong with online purchasing --- have a sample bottle right now and the Big Boy will be ordered

https://www.ironrootrepublic.com/iro...hubris-whiskey

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.