Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

No Bicycles Allowed, Trails Closed

Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Old 11-03-22, 04:53 PM
ZIPP2001
Life Is Good

Bikes: Zipp2001 Carbon Belt Drive SS, Kestrel RT900SL, Kestrel KM40 Airfoil 1x10, Orbea Occam H30, Trek Stache 5 29 Plus, Giant Yukon 2 Fat Bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 867 Times in 443 Posts

I've been coming to this trail network for several years now and I've never seen one sign saying it's off limits. I've met plenty of trail riders who have been riding these trails for many more years than I. So, about a month ago I come out to do a ride and see these new signs up stating the trails are now off limits to bicycles. I put the bike back in the car and do a hike instead and during that hike I ran into walkers with dogs ignoring the new trail signs saying no dogs allowed. I've been coming here to hike because I really enjoy the hills and plus it's only a couple of minutes from work. On every hike to date I have run into multiple walkers with dogs. I did talk to a rider who lives right next to this trail network, and he stated that he and his friends still come out and ride the trails. I do really miss these trails, but I'll hike for now because my riding season comes to an end by Thanksgiving because work gets crazy during Christmas. I'll re-visit the idea of riding these trails again after winter, because my winter riding is over in another trail network that gets groomed.
Likes For ZIPP2001:
Old 12-08-22, 08:53 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5218 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
omg you are looney tunes & I love that about you man
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 12-09-22, 09:52 AM
Tomm Willians

Bikes: Subject to change at any given moment but currently is...... Colnago Mapei, Colnago C40, Wilier Triestina Carbon, Wilier Triestina Ramato, Follis 472, Peugeot PX60, Razesa, Orbea Terra, Soma Pescadero and 1/2 owner of a Santana tandem.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 322 Post(s)
Liked 774 Times in 260 Posts
So you’ve decided to ignore the posted rules simply because others have? That should certainly cause them to open it back up to bikes……..
Likes For Tomm Willians:
Old 12-09-22, 02:05 PM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 806 Post(s)
Liked 1,612 Times in 764 Posts
Mass Audubon Society posted those signs. I don't know if they own the land or not, but they are not a state agency. I don't know who would be enforcing the rules, unless you ran into some irate bird watchers. Check with local laws, just in case.
Likes For Bald Paul:
Old 12-09-22, 05:49 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3185 Post(s)
Liked 2,020 Times in 1,158 Posts
Yeah, I'd check on who actually owns the property. A local hiking club installed similar signs on a local trail that is state park, stating "no bikes". I know thats not official state policy so I mostly ignore it.
Likes For Steve B.:
Old 12-09-22, 09:25 PM
UnCruel 

Bikes: Trek Émonda SL 5, Trek Checkpoint SL 5, Giant Trance X 2, Trek Farley

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 50 Posts
Somewhere on the web there must be a dog forum, and on it is a thread about this same trail, with people posting that they walk their dogs on it because lots of other people do, and because mountain bikers disregard the rules too.
Likes For UnCruel:
Old 12-12-22, 12:11 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4252 Post(s)
Liked 3,866 Times in 2,579 Posts
I have been on a state park trail that said no bikes and they truly meant it, we ended up portaging much of it. Though had I had a proper mountain bike and a lot more skills I probably could have ridden a bit more of it but still it was not very ridable.

If the signs are posted by an actual authority for the land then I wouldn't disregard them but if some local NIMBYist posted them I would disregard them but like with all shared spaces, I would do my best to share them as fairly as possible with pedestrians and such,
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 12-12-22, 06:27 AM
Schweinhund

Bikes: a couple

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 562 Post(s)
Liked 862 Times in 455 Posts
The city I live in sits on the confluence of the Tuolumne river and Dry Creek.
Back in the early and mid 70's a bunch of kids, including myself, built a network of trails to ride on.
The city tried to close what we built, to us, for bird watchers. For some of the kids in this area it's the only thing they can do that doesn't cost stupid money. They quickly gave up trying to enforce it. Critical mass type events work.
That's because a bunch of old men, the same guys who worked down here were willing to show up.
Likes For Schweinhund:
Old 12-24-22, 04:44 PM
Monkitoucher

Bikes: Tommasini Tecno, Yeti SB130, Primus Mootry Adventure Bike, Funk Pro Comp/Durango, Ellsworth Enlightenment, Colnago Nuovo Mexico, Orange Krate

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 16 Posts
This may be a case where there was a meeting about use and the only people who showed up were bird watchers. It's still super important to be involved in the usage meetings. Is there IMBA chapter in your area?
Likes For Monkitoucher:
Old 04-13-23, 02:19 PM
tarman
loose cannon

Bikes: TST titanium with campy centaur and MG wheels 197? Fuji Sports 10, painted and indexed Nashbar frame built up for single speed

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've gotten yelled at twice riding in Mass Audobon lands. First time I didn't know you couldn't, and the second time I came in a back way and didn't know I was in the Audobon. They take it seriously.
Old 05-05-23, 08:55 PM
Sierra_rider

Bikes: Santa Cruz Blur 4 TR, Canyon Endurace cf sl, Canyon Ultimate cf slx, Canyon Strive enduro, Canyon Grizl sl8

Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 696 Times in 273 Posts
Closed is a state of mind...
Likes For Sierra_rider:
Old 05-06-23, 03:23 PM
CrimsonEclipse

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 583 Times in 334 Posts