Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Tandem Cycling
Reload this Page >

Is there a list of vehicles that can be used to haul a tandem inside?

Notices
Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

Is there a list of vehicles that can be used to haul a tandem inside?

Old 01-10-19, 09:54 PM
twocicle
Clipless in Coeur d'Alene

Bikes: Tandems: Calfee Dragonfly S&S, Ventana ECDM mtb; Singles: Specialized Tarmac SL4 S-Works, Specialized Stumpjumper Pro, etal.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 15 Posts
2018 Pacifica

Swallows tandems and asked for 2nds, 3rds, +. Even the Ventana ECDM (10" longer than the Calfee) has room to spare. Pacifica interior is longer but narrower than the Grand Caravan we previously had. In that, the Calfee just barely sat behind the driver seat, but in the Pacifica the Calfee leaves a lot more room between the tire and seat.

Prefer bikes inside vehicle for winter travel, but also have a 1UP hitch rack for tossing on dirty bikes in the summer. I hacked a 1UP tandem roof rack to work as a fork mount/rear tire holder rack on the 1UP hitch rack (mtb tandem measures vehicle width + 6" on passenger side). Will post pics of this next time we use it.

Last edited by twocicle; 01-10-19 at 09:57 PM.
Likes For twocicle:
Old 01-14-19, 08:01 PM
DT Tandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
We have put our Trek T900 in our 2018 Subaru outback a couple times. the first time we did it we also had a weekends worth of camping gear and I dont think most people would say we travel light.

Naturally the wheels had to come off. I'm not a big fan of that. We have since picked up a sidewinder rack.

Don
Old 03-31-19, 02:27 PM
jethro00

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 32 Posts
Ford is coming out with a 2020 "crew" version of its Transit van this fall. It will offer AWD and a second row of 3 seats. It sounds like it will compete with the Mercedes Sprinter crew van, but at a much lower price point. Depending on whether there is a gap between the rear seats or space on the ends of the seats, this might be a good option for transporting a tandem intact.
Old 04-05-19, 10:50 AM
Krenovian

Bikes: Hers: Volagi Liscio, Kestrel 200 SCI, Niner Jet9 RDO, Ellsworth Truth. His: Kestrel 200 EMS, Niner Jet9, Psyclewerks Wild Hare. Ours: Paketa V2

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Volkswagen Passat, Peugeot 508, 2018-2019 versions. Both of these are sedans whose back seats fold down. 2013 Ford C Max. I assume the 2018-2019 versions will fit a tandem but don’t know that for sure. You will have to take both front and rear wheels off to get a tandem in these vehicles. In the C Max the passenger’s seat will have to be moved forward a couple of inches. Like the Passat and the 508 the C Max rear seats fold down. These are vehicles we’ve rented in Europe. We put our Bike Pro Tandem case in first and lay the tandem on top of it. With the handle bars turned sideways we need right at 72” of space for our tandem to fit inside. The Passat and 508 have 80” of space. The C Max has been the easiest to get the case and tandem in and out of.
Likes For Krenovian:
Old 08-25-19, 07:24 PM
balesmachine

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Honda Fit

Your not going to believe me, but a Honda Fit will do the trick. You can stand it up too. I do it all the time. I've had three Honda Fits, so that makes me sort of an expert, I guess.

Three Honda Fits. 2009, 2013, 2016

Honda Fit with two single road bikes

Honda Fit with tandem inside
Likes For balesmachine:
Old 12-11-19, 11:20 PM
dwmckee

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts
We used to be happy with our 2002 Honda Odyssey, but we sold it (280,000 miles on it) and just bought a 2017 Ford Transit 350 XLT. With a few seats removed the Transit can fit in 3 fully assembled tandems and STILL have seats for 8, tons of luggage and cooler room and still have standing height for all! Ride is not as smooth as the Odyssey, but heck it is worth the tradeoff...
Old 04-06-20, 02:41 PM
CaliTexan

Bikes: 2019 Co-Motion Carrera (S&S) / 1998 Litespeed Tuscany / 2014 Wilier Zero 7

Liked 14 Times in 8 Posts
Winnebago Revel - slides right in from the back, fork into a regular fork clamp on a piece of wood and strapped down to the rings on the floor.
Old 05-26-20, 05:51 PM
bikehoco

Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 53 Posts
Wouldn’t it be significantly less expensive to install a hitch and pull a small trailer?
Old 06-15-20, 03:32 PM
Kat12

Quoted: 419 Post(s)
Liked 378 Times in 278 Posts
Does anyone use a rear rack? My friend just bought a tandem and is feeling ambitious and like she wants to go riding (paved) park bike trails... which will mean transporting the bike as none of these parks are within riding distance (at least for us). That means my car. I have a Civic sedan; no way the bike's going inside. We'd never get it onto a roof rack, nor do I want anything permanently mounted to my car. I'd rather not disassemble the thing at all (it's vintage, no quick-releases, I'm no bike mechanic, it would be extremely tedious). I know that means bike will be well wider than car. I admit to being a bit nervous about that, but what can you do?

A friend of hers told her any car rack would do (this friend uses a hitch-mount rack on an SUV, but her tandem is also lighter in weight; we have had both her bike and my friend's bike on this rack at the same time though)... someone else told us it would be too heavy for any sort of temporary-mount rack (which is an apparatus I have not seen in person for years so I don't know what's out there these days). (I'm not that big about putting a rack on my car at all; have heard a few horror stories about damage to the finish, but not much to be done about that; we'd just have to be careful and I'll cross my fingers.)
Old 06-23-20, 07:56 PM
morganmarie19

Bikes: Co-Motion Periscope 700 (2005); Follis 1072 Tandem (1974)

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 5 Posts
We just bought a used tandem and fit it into our 2008 Volkswagen Jetta sedan for the drive home. The backseats were folded down in the car. After taking the wheels and captain seatpost/stoker handlebars off, the tandem was able to fit lying down stretching from behind the driver/passenger seat to the end of the trunk. We used blankets to support the frame on its side so that the weight didn't fall on the cranks. The wheels and seatpost/handlebar went on top of and around the frame with some padding and the trunk closed without a problem. I reckon we could also fit one suitcase in the car too if we wanted, though I don't think I'd recommend this as a frequent way to transport. But we were excited that we didn't have to rent a larger car to bring the new bike home..
Old 09-14-20, 11:35 AM
Gride

Bikes: Santana Beyond PHD DA/ XTR Di2, Canyon Ultimate CF SLX DA Mech (Canyon refused valid warranty claim), 2021 Specialized Tarmac SL7 12 spd DA, 2022 No.22 Drifter X 12spd DA, Budnitz Alpha- Gates belt-Alfine internal

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2019-2020 ACURA RDX works great

By removing the front wheel we get our full size large tandem bicycle including rear rack and top case inside the cargo compartment of our 2020 ACURA RDX with the hatch comfortably closing. On top of that (and in, and under), we can pack the car further for several days worth of luxury camping as well. if not camping the configuration is that the front fork is straddling the top of the passenger headrest and the handlebars occupy part of the airspace between the front buckets seats and the rear slopes down wheel touching deck. If camping we raise it up higher, removing stoker bars and a pedal so it lays high up near roof, so we can pack under it. Because my stoker wife is not a tall person, none of this high fork and cockpit conflict with her head or hair. I am tall with broad shoulders but none of the bike touches me either.

Last edited by Gride; 09-14-20 at 11:53 AM.
Old 09-21-20, 10:21 AM
alphaphoenix

Bikes: 90' Rockhopper (gravel conversion)

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by CaliTexan
Winnebago Revel - slides right in from the back, fork into a regular fork clamp on a piece of wood and strapped down to the rings on the floor.
That strikes my interest for my next car - then saw the starting price of $174K. Now eyeing a Subaru Ascent with captain seats.
Old 09-27-20, 09:23 PM
CaliTexan

Bikes: 2019 Co-Motion Carrera (S&S) / 1998 Litespeed Tuscany / 2014 Wilier Zero 7

Liked 14 Times in 8 Posts
Right. You're not buying a Revel for tandem hauling alone. But, we wanted a camper van that could hold a tandem and this one was the best "package" of features since the "garage" portion is back is very flexible. The advertised retail price is a strange fiction in the RV world. A 25-35% discount off of the sticker price seems to be typical.
Old 10-09-20, 12:19 AM
PaulGrun

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 13 Posts
Revels are in very high demand these days. Not sure if that has impacted the price or not, but my sense is that they are becoming hard to get.
Old 01-04-21, 11:00 AM
sdodd

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 24 Posts
fits well in an odyssey

Just posted my build of a rack to hold our tandem in our 2012 odyssey. No front wheel removal needed.

https://www.bikeforums.net/tandem-cy...l-removal.html

Likes For sdodd:
Old 08-23-21, 02:28 AM
VinCox

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have always found a way to put a tandem in even the smallest cars I've owned. It depends on the tandem as well as the car, and of course it depends on if anyone is getting in the car with you (my stoker has often had to travel in another car!). Wheels out, with one end of the bike on the passenger seat (headrest off, seat reclined a bit) the other end usually can be made to get in a hatch back. The hardest was when I had an S class Merc - but thankfully it was the long wheelbase version and it's a wide car so I got the tandem in somehow!
Likes For VinCox:
Old 02-06-22, 11:00 PM
rmrs

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1973 Pinto SW

Our honeymoon getaway car was a '73 pinto wagon. Due to weather, we could not ride away on "Tandam". However we did load it inside many times into many cars ... with a shoe spoon and some ingenuity.

The point is you can fit it in where you have to. If your stoker or anyone asks: "Old Dan" said you can. ;-)
Old 08-12-22, 11:10 AM
dstke

Bikes: Chinook custom road tandem, 2000 Litespeed, Santa Cruz SOLO C, Bontrager Race Lite, C'Dale 06 Mountain Tandem

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Kia Carnival?

We're planning a trip to South Korea and most rental companies offer the Kia Carnival. Anyone know if a tandem will fit inside? Do the 3rd and 2nd row seats fold down? Thanks.
Old 03-31-23, 11:44 AM
richjac

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6, Santana Sovereign (2021)

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
fits inside Honda CR-V

For our trip to Florida recently I was very happy to leave the hitch mounted rack at home and was able to fit our new Santana inside the car by removing both wheels and lowering the captain’s seat, and rotating the stoker bars to provide support. I also strapped the frame to the seat latches on each side to prevent and shifting during the trip. It worked flawlessly and was not much more work than fitting the bike on the rear rack.

Large Santana Sovereign inside 2018 CR-V

Last edited by richjac; 03-31-23 at 11:44 AM. Reason: Change titla
Old 06-24-23, 10:07 AM
hph
Gearhead

Bikes: 2022 Trek FX2 Disc Viper Red, 1967 Phillips Road Bike w/ S-A 3-speed, a couple parts or flip bikes

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
2023 Toyota Highlander

2023 Toyota Highlander

You can do it, but you'll probably need to remove one or both wheels, especially if you dont want to scuff the interior.
Old 07-24-23, 12:22 PM
dstke

Bikes: Chinook custom road tandem, 2000 Litespeed, Santa Cruz SOLO C, Bontrager Race Lite, C'Dale 06 Mountain Tandem

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Follow-up from our trip to South Korea. Our Tandem fit in Kia Carnival. I had hoped to be able to remove the middle seats and set them to the side but the car that we rented only allowed for the seats to be folded forward which worked OK.

Separate question, anyone have an EV that can fit a tandem vertically? A friend easily got his tandem into his Tesla Model S and in his new Rivian SUV but only on it's side although in both cases with both wheels on. Wondering if there's an EV that can fit a tandem inside in a fork mount.
Likes For dstke: