Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Help with info (especially year/model) of Peugeot bike circa 1970

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Help with info (especially year/model) of Peugeot bike circa 1970

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-23, 09:18 AM
ehcoplex 

Bikes: '38 Schwinn New World, ’69 Peugeot PX-10, '72 Peugeot PX-10, ‘7? Valgan, '78 Raleigh Comp GS, ’79 Holdsworth Pro, ’80 Peugeot TH-8 tandem, '87 Trek 400T, ‘7? Raleigh Sports, ‘7? Raleigh Superbe, ‘6? Hercules

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 760 Post(s)
Liked 1,562 Times in 756 Posts
Originally Posted by brian85
Does this frame look like it could benefit from Meguiar's Scratch-X, Meguiar's Ultimate Compound, or Meguiar's #6? All are mentioned at a post on this site titled "

How to polish an old dull frame?"

(I can't include the link because I'm relatively new here). Or maybe another is more appropriate?

Also, I can't tell if the bottom bracket needs to be replaced. How much "play" should there be? I can move the pedal left/right about 1/32" (I'm not exactly sure), if that makes sense.
I'd start with just Dawn (or some other dish soap) & warm water- get all the dirt, grime & grease off, then reassess.
The Stronglight bottom brackets are pretty robust- you (hopefully) may just need to pull it, clean it, possibly/probably replace the bearings and re-pack.
Old 01-03-23, 06:23 PM
brian85

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ehcoplex
I'd start with just Dawn (or some other dish soap) & warm water- get all the dirt, grime & grease off, then reassess.
The Stronglight bottom brackets are pretty robust- you (hopefully) may just need to pull it, clean it, possibly/probably replace the bearings and re-pack.
thanks ehcoplex ! I'll clean with dish soap first and then upload some pictures of where I'm at.
Old 01-07-23, 05:28 PM
brian85

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ehcoplex
Here's what it looks like after the soapy water treatment. Pretty bad shape. What sort of product, if any, would help here?

Old 01-07-23, 09:26 PM
ehcoplex 

Bikes: '38 Schwinn New World, ’69 Peugeot PX-10, '72 Peugeot PX-10, ‘7? Valgan, '78 Raleigh Comp GS, ’79 Holdsworth Pro, ’80 Peugeot TH-8 tandem, '87 Trek 400T, ‘7? Raleigh Sports, ‘7? Raleigh Superbe, ‘6? Hercules

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 760 Post(s)
Liked 1,562 Times in 756 Posts
If I were doing it my next step would be remove the BB & headset (they'll both need re-greasing anyway). Use some mineral spirits to get any caked-on grease/grime that the soap & water didn't clean of. If you have some kind of 'tank' to do it in, treat the whole frame with Evaporust, or do the soaked-paper-towels & cling-wrap thing, or the Evaporust gel. Then I'd lightly/carefully go at the spots that were chipped or rusty with fine-grit wet sandpaper- smooth out the edges of the chipped paint, bubbles, rough spots... Treat the insides of the tubes with Frame-Saver or the like. Then lightly 'paint' all the formerly rusted/chipped bits (that should now pretty much be bare metal) with clear nail polish. Then I'd probably rub it down with rubbing compound (avoiding the decals), then polishing paste, then wax, reassemble and ride. Everyone has a line for what is too much patina (after which a re-paint is in order)- personally, that's well below my line, though it does make for some tedious work getting rid of the rust and preventing it from returning.