Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Talk to me: Vintage Ross Eurotour 3 Speed USA!!

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 08-20-22, 10:28 AM
rwh63

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 35 Posts

Dump find, really nice condition. Allentown PA! Tell me what you know!
Likes For rwh63:
Old 08-20-22, 11:15 AM
DiegoFrogs

Bikes: '77 Centurion "Pro Tour"; '67 Carlton "The Flyer"; 1984 Ross MTB (stored at parents' house)

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 61 Posts
Looks to be a, perhaps, 40 pound city bike. Are the rims aluminum? Looks to be steel everywhere else. Integrated chain guard is a nice touch.

I would think it has a Shimano '333' hub, about which I have no experience or opinion.

With aluminum rims, depending on the quality of braking, and all new consumables and a comfortable saddle, it'll probably do well as a low cost city commuter. That'd be nice in a high-theft area, since you can easily find another if it goes missing.
Likes For DiegoFrogs:
Old 08-20-22, 12:28 PM
rwh63

i believe it is all steel. i was surprised how intact and rust free it is, even the rims and fenders. tires and pedals look little worn and original. how to date it?
Old 08-20-22, 02:17 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 480 Post(s)
Quoted: 3788 Post(s)
Liked 6,573 Times in 2,580 Posts
I’d keep the front basket and maybe the fenders (the front looks awfully short) and toss the rest back into the tip.
Likes For nlerner:
Old 08-20-22, 03:27 PM
rwh63

Spiffed up a little!
Likes For rwh63:
Old 08-20-22, 03:34 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2731 Post(s)
Liked 3,360 Times in 2,034 Posts
https://www.google.com/search?q=ross...&bih=617&dpr=1
Old 08-20-22, 04:51 PM
rwh63

have family member who might be interested. threw it on Facebook as well. i think it has a cool vintage feel, and isn't from Walmart made in China! added value/interest in made in USA! chromed steel cleaned up well. i think it would be fine for a town bike, errands, beach cruiser, etc.
Likes For rwh63:
Old 08-20-22, 05:16 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,445 Times in 1,557 Posts
I probably assembled a hundred or so of those back in the late '70s and early '80s. Very basic bikes but they work, and I prefer the 3-speed versions to the derailleur ones.
Likes For thumpism:
Old 08-20-22, 05:17 PM
rwh63

In for service
Likes For rwh63:
Old 08-20-22, 06:00 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 2401 Post(s)
Liked 4,350 Times in 2,075 Posts
Originally Posted by thumpism
I probably assembled a hundred or so of those back in the late '70s and early '80s. Very basic bikes but they work, and I prefer the 3-speed versions to the derailleur ones.
IGH > derailer every time for any around-town commuter where stop-and-go is expected and top speed isn't a priority.

It's a pity these disposable Ross things are let down by brake calipers that wouldn't stop a flea from charging through a tuft of dust though - not helped by the steel rims as others have said, but it's not as if any other 3-speed from this era would have aluminum hoops instead.

I'd take one of the Sears Free Spirit Brittany 3-speeds any day over this though. A far better copy of a Raleigh Sports with a semblance of frame geometry actually made for an adult (because they're just copies of a 21" Sports), decent enough components, real fenders (not the penny-pinching cutoff fender that Ross spec'ed here), and equipped with a real bottom bracket rather than a repurposed anchor.

-Kurt

Old 08-20-22, 06:02 PM
Velo Mule

Bikes: Trek 800 x 2, Schwinn Heavy Duti, Schwinn Traveler, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Schwinn Continental, Cannondale M400 and Lambert, Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 801 Post(s)
Liked 1,000 Times in 654 Posts
For sure that has steel rims. @rwh63 clean it up refresh the grease in the front hub and the bottom bracket and put a squirt of oil or two in the rear hub. The ride it. While the Eurosport isn't high end, it is a good bike. As @thumpism said with the three speed is is a good combination. I believe that the Allentown made bikes are better than the earlier ones made in Far Rockaway, NY. Some people say that the NY made frames have rust problems because the factory was close to the water, which is true. But when Ross moved to Allentown they also got more serious about making better bikes.

Fenders were so out of style at the time, (I'm thinking '80's) that bikes that did have them seemed to have kept them short. Or perhaps they were just saving a few cents a bike. You could put leather flaps on the back ends of the fenders to get more coverage.

Sheldon Brown was not a big fan of the Shimano three speeds and I believe that may be based on earlier experiences. In my opinion they got better, so by the '80's it should be pretty decent. It will never have the parts availability of Sturmey Archer, but as long as it is still working, you are good to go. I hope the shifter works properly, they are getting expensive. They are simple too, just a ball for the detent with a leaf spring. The problem with them is the plastic cover.

Good luck. Ride the heck out of it and post some pictures when you do.

P.S. I like your Colman lanterns. Red, is that a Sears or other brand made by Colman?
Likes For Velo Mule:
Old 08-20-22, 06:46 PM
rwh63

Originally Posted by Velo Mule
For sure that has steel rims. @rwh63 clean it up refresh the grease in the front hub and the bottom bracket and put a squirt of oil or two in the rear hub. The ride it. While the Eurosport isn't high end, it is a good bike. As @thumpism said with the three speed is is a good combination. I believe that the Allentown made bikes are better than the earlier ones made in Far Rockaway, NY. Some people say that the NY made frames have rust problems because the factory was close to the water, which is true. But when Ross moved to Allentown they also got more serious about making better bikes.

Fenders were so out of style at the time, (I'm thinking '80's) that bikes that did have them seemed to have kept them short. Or perhaps they were just saving a few cents a bike. You could put leather flaps on the back ends of the fenders to get more coverage.

Sheldon Brown was not a big fan of the Shimano three speeds and I believe that may be based on earlier experiences. In my opinion they got better, so by the '80's it should be pretty decent. It will never have the parts availability of Sturmey Archer, but as long as it is still working, you are good to go. I hope the shifter works properly, they are getting expensive. They are simple too, just a ball for the detent with a leaf spring. The problem with them is the plastic cover.

Good luck. Ride the heck out of it and post some pictures when you do.

P.S. I like your Colman lanterns. Red, is that a Sears or other brand made by Colman?
used to read sheldon brown's site back in the day! not sure i'll be the one riding this into the sunset, but who knows. i really grabbed it because i found it unusual and in nice shape. heavy and durable is fine for its purpose.

btw, just tried the shifter while on the stand, and seemed fine. did its thing. i see the rear hub oil port. any particular oil?

lanterns: i got a little into the lantern thing during Covid. several Coleman red 200A's, various double mantel greens, etc. some passionate collectors (and hoarders!) of these things.
Old 08-20-22, 07:24 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 510 Post(s)
Quoted: 7287 Post(s)
Liked 2,362 Times in 1,381 Posts
I sold and fixed many of these in 1978-1980. They were not great. The 3-speed hub was not durable, and parts are not available.

But if you like it, please enjoy it. I list the negative traits not to discourage you except if you're thinking of investing in it. It's a nice design, and they skimped on the recipe when they built this model.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Likes For noglider:
Old 08-21-22, 07:05 AM
jdawginsc 
Edumacator

Bikes: '87 Crestdale, '87 Basso Gap, '92 Rossin Performance EL-OS, 1990 VanTuyl, 1980s Losa, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 1987 PX10, etc...

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2385 Post(s)
Liked 2,930 Times in 1,861 Posts
Interesting piece of American bicycle history...why they hired Tom Kellogg to create a Paramount level set of bikes.
1987 Crest Cannondale, 1987 Basso Gap, 1992 Rossin Performance EL, 1990ish Van Tuyl, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 2003 Pinarello Surprise, 1990ish MBK Atlantique, 1987 Peugeot Competition, 1987 Nishiki Tri-A, 1981 Faggin, 1996 Cannondale M500, 1984 Mercian, 1982 AD SuperLeicht, 1985 Massi (model unknown), 1988 Daccordi Griffe , 1989 Fauxsin MTB, 1981 Ciocc Mockba, 1992 Bianchi Giro, 1977 Colnago Super

Old 08-21-22, 07:24 AM
cycleheimer

Bikes: '02 Litespeed, '99 Bianchi Alfana. '91 Fuji Saratoga, '84 Peugeot Canyon Express, '82 Moto GR, '81 Fuji America, '81 Fuji Royale; '78 Bridgestone Diamond Touring, '76 Fuji America, plus many more!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 222 Times in 126 Posts
I worked on these in the '70s. I also maintained a small rental fleet of them. Nice catch, and nicely "nostalgic". As mentioned, they are basic and get the job done. Check the frame for breaks where they join, but they should they be ok. Trueing the wheels was always problematic. Don't expect perfection, which is not necessary and is not going to happen. You can true them up using both brake pads (left and right) and just aim for something that spins without going too far to one side or the other. Oil everything up. Gumwall sides on the tires not dried up and peeling off? Brakes and gears are easy to adjust. It may need new brake pads, especially with steel rim. You shouldn't have to go to crazy with this type of bike, which is a nice.
Likes For cycleheimer:
Old 08-21-22, 02:54 PM
rwh63

Originally Posted by cycleheimer
I worked on these in the '70s. I also maintained a small rental fleet of them. Nice catch, and nicely "nostalgic". As mentioned, they are basic and get the job done. Check the frame for breaks where they join, but they should they be ok. Trueing the wheels was always problematic. Don't expect perfection, which is not necessary and is not going to happen. You can true them up using both brake pads (left and right) and just aim for something that spins without going too far to one side or the other. Oil everything up. Gumwall sides on the tires not dried up and peeling off? Brakes and gears are easy to adjust. It may need new brake pads, especially with steel rim. You shouldn't have to go to crazy with this type of bike, which is a nice.
thx for the positive vibrations! Lots of meat on the pads. Frame appears great. Gumwalls very good (still some side nibs). Using 0000 steel wool and everything is shining up nicely. Barely any rust. This bike was definitely in good dry storage.
Likes For rwh63:
Old 08-21-22, 03:06 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2731 Post(s)
Liked 3,360 Times in 2,034 Posts
Originally Posted by rwh63
thx for the positive vibrations! Lots of meat on the pads. .
The issue isn't amount of meat, it's the tenderness. Rock hard old pads and steel rims. Even with new pads steel rims brake poorly. Kool stop continentals or minimum file or sand the old pads
Likes For dedhed:
Old 08-22-22, 07:05 PM
cycleheimer

Bikes: '02 Litespeed, '99 Bianchi Alfana. '91 Fuji Saratoga, '84 Peugeot Canyon Express, '82 Moto GR, '81 Fuji America, '81 Fuji Royale; '78 Bridgestone Diamond Touring, '76 Fuji America, plus many more!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 222 Times in 126 Posts
Originally Posted by rwh63
thx for the positive vibrations! Lots of meat on the pads. Frame appears great. Gumwalls very good (still some side nibs). Using 0000 steel wool and everything is shining up nicely. Barely any rust. This bike was definitely in good dry storage.
Enjoy it. It's good for occassional slower paced local riding on level terrain. Just take it easy with it, and avoid riding in the rain. Older brake pads (tend to dry and harden with age) have very limited stopping power when the steel rims are wet. I have to admit this bike brings back memories.
Likes For cycleheimer:
Old 04-21-23, 04:36 PM
rwh63

just like to update this thread. sold it today, april 21, 2023, to an urban commuter (3 miles). i'm glad it will see a new life, serving a purpose. thx to all participants.
Likes For rwh63:
Old 04-22-23, 08:43 AM
Hobbiano 

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 346 Times in 230 Posts
Perfect!