Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Shutter Precision hub bearing replacement

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Shutter Precision hub bearing replacement

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-22, 06:26 PM
cjobim

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
how to separate axle from drive-side hub case?

Hi again and thanks a lot for the pointers. I managed to replace non-drive side bearings after replicating the operation you did with a newer version of the SP hub (press-fit, both sides requiring the extractor device to get end caps off). After opening the hub's twist lock mechanism, I couldn't figure out how to separate the drive-side half from the axle in order to replace the bearings on that side too. Could you explain how you did it please? I tried using the extractor, and also a soft-blow mallet to push out the axle but it felt like I was putting too much force for too little progress. Thanks for any help!
Old 09-14-22, 06:43 AM
cjobim

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bump of my previous message, anybody has any pointers on how to separate drive-side hub cap from the axle and dynamo element? THanks!
Old 10-11-22, 08:37 AM
cjobim

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just to complete my message: without being able to service the drive side bearing (and after feeling that it wasn't going to be put back in place properly after doing it myself, probably due to some damage trying to pull apart the axle from the drive-side half of the hub), I sent my hub to Taiwan for service, which cost ~50€ incl shipping, and took ~3 weeks to come back. a bit bummed out not to have managed the whole thing on my own but at least I have a hub in working order now. still interested in how you guys managed to extract the axle from the drive-side half of the hub.
Old 10-12-22, 12:03 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,694 Times in 2,516 Posts
I'm sorry I didn't see your post before you sent it off. Some of mine are probably old enough they won't fix them.