Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+) > Pills and Ills
Reload this Page >

Clavicle Surgery Question

Notices
Pills and Ills This is a discussion subforum for the health challenges faced by riders 50+. These discussions are in no way to be considered professional medical advice.

Old 03-14-22, 05:34 PM
dmanthree

Bikes: Garmin/Tacx Bike Smart

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 191 Posts

I had surgery to repair a busted clavicle three weeks ago, and I still have a bit of numbness along the bone. The doc said that's normal, so my question is this: has anyone else experienced this?
Old 03-14-22, 06:33 PM
Phoenix800

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 9 Posts
What's numb? Do you mean the skin? Do you mean a funny bone feeling?

I've had my left clavicle 'fixed' twice. First time I broke it moutain biking, shattered it falling on a rock. The skin near the incision is numb and has been since the repair twent-two years ago.

After the first repair, my clavicle felt 'funny'. I attributed it to the titanium plate and six screws restraining it from flexing normally.

The second break required two plates and sixteen screws. The whole thing area is numb, probably a good thing.

Last edited by Phoenix800; 03-14-22 at 07:52 PM.
Old 03-15-22, 03:30 PM
dmanthree

Originally Posted by Phoenix800
What's numb? Do you mean the skin? Do you mean a funny bone feeling?

I've had my left clavicle 'fixed' twice. First time I broke it moutain biking, shattered it falling on a rock. The skin near the incision is numb and has been since the repair twent-two years ago.

After the first repair, my clavicle felt 'funny'. I attributed it to the titanium plate and six screws restraining it from flexing normally.

The second break required two plates and sixteen screws. The whole thing area is numb, probably a good thing.
Yes, just the skin. The area seems to be shrinking, but still a good sized area of skin that's still numb. I guess they has to "move" some nerves to get to the bone.
Old 03-15-22, 03:59 PM
randallr

Bikes: 2017 Gunnar CrossHairs Rohloff, 2022 Detroit Bikes Cortello

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 89 Posts
I had clavicle surgey last October and some numbness was also my experience. I did a lot of physical therapy to regain range of motion. I still have a little bit of numbness on the top front of my shoulder, before it was more generalized.
Likes For randallr:
Old 03-15-22, 04:33 PM
MCHunt

Bikes: 2020 Trek Top Fuel 9.8, 2019 Argon 18 Dark Matter, 2019 Argon 18 Gallium Disc, 2000 Steve Rex custom, 1996 Guerciotti Genius

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 10 Posts
Numbness is normal

The surgeon will cut through cutaneous (nerves in the skin) nerves to get to your clavicle. The area will attempt to repair itself and return to normal sensation. It is slow, nerves heal at the rate of 1mm/ day. However, it is normal for some areas around surgical incisions to never return to normal sensation.
Likes For MCHunt:
Old 03-15-22, 06:37 PM
dmanthree

Originally Posted by randallr
I had clavicle surgey last October and some numbness was also my experience. I did a lot of physical therapy to regain range of motion. I still have a little bit of numbness on the top front of my shoulder, before it was more generalized.
I wondered about the need for some PT after the cut. My 2 week exam went well, and next is the six week exam. At that point I guess I'll find out what else is needed.
No complaints, though. I already have nearly full range of motion, and starting to regain some strength in the shoulder. Slow going, but that's OK.
Likes For dmanthree:
Old 03-16-22, 11:35 AM
blacknbluebikes 

Bikes: two blacks, a blue and a white.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 442 Post(s)
Liked 840 Times in 407 Posts
Yeah, I've had that numbness for years. You get used to it. I had a titanium plate installed, subsequently removed when the screws peaked up. Now it's a really nice keyring. Can't have enough titanium.
Likes For blacknbluebikes: