Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Edge 830 and ClimbPro Intermittent Recognition

Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Old 09-07-22, 10:44 AM
IcySwan1 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 73 Posts

I am currently in the lower 48 and using both RWGPS and mobile Garmin Connect to create routes. Both work and show up on device fine. The problem is the failure to recognize climbs for longer rides that include substantial flat areas.

The area west of an interstate is flat; the area East is pretty hilly. The hilly area far exceeds Garmin’s metric to trigger ClimbPro. I designed a course that includes about 10 miles of hills and finishes with 10 miles of flat. I have ClimbPro enabled in my activity profile but it does not show up on this course. In fact the course info does not even give a “climb” option for preview. I have created test courses that just include about 3 miles of hills and the function appears. Today I created a 10 mile course of just hills and rode it. It worked.

Garmin support didn’t know the answer. Does anybody know why it doesn’t work on longer courses that include a large percentage of flat?

I am not from this area and was dismayed the first time I rode these hills to find that there was another, steeper rise after I reached what I though was the summit. ClimbPro hopefully would have given me warning the suffering was not over.

Thanks.

Mike
Old 09-07-22, 10:54 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4242 Post(s)
Liked 1,342 Times in 931 Posts
To register as a climb in climbpro, the climb has to be long enough and with enough gain. It won't show every climb. You can change the criteria it uses.

https://forums.garmin.com/cfs-file/_...-Edge-V1.9.pdf
Old 09-07-22, 11:08 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
It sounds like a bug. If the same climb will trigger on one route but not another depending on other data that isn't relevant, I'm not sure how else to understand that.

It might be a bug in your 830. I would try loading those same routes into your Epix and see whether it recognizes the climbs in the route preview?
Old 09-07-22, 11:15 AM
IcySwan1 

Njkayaker, wow, that is a lot of info. I will work through it. Thanks.

SF, it might be a bug. Garmin is sending me a data cord to link it up to Garmin Express. I tried using the charging cords I have with me but no dice. I am not sure what I am supposed to do with Express but I will plug it in an see what happens. Good idea about the Epix. I will give it a go tonight.

Mike
Old 09-07-22, 11:44 AM
IcySwan1 

Njkayaker, wow, that is a lot of info. I will work through it. Thanks.

SF, it might be a bug. Garmin is sending me a data cord to link it up to Garmin Express. I tried using the charging cords I have with me but no dice. I am not sure what I am supposed to do with Express but I will plug it in an see what happens. Good idea about the Epix. I will give it a go tonight.

Mike
Old 09-07-22, 06:25 PM
IcySwan1 

The Epix shows the same results - ClimbPro activates on a 10 mile route that includes hills but not on the same route that has an additional 10 miles of flat. Maybe the connection to the Express mothership will beat the Edge into submission. I will try it when the charging cable shows up.

Probably not related, but I just returned a Varia to Garmin today and they are sending a replacement. The Edge consistently dropped the light, the radar, and often both. They think it is a Varia issue. I hope that fixes it because I really like the radar.

Mike
Old 10-10-22, 05:37 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2220 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,774 Posts
I've only used it once, on my Edge 530, at Crater Lake in Oregon. As far as I could tell, it worked well. Climb-pro divided it into seven separate climbs, punctuated with flat sections and pronounced downhills.

cf: https://www.bikeforums.net/electroni...-climbpro.html

The global view I think correctly identified all of the significant uphill sections. Its division into separate climbs seemed a little bit arbitrary, but I assume it was based on an algorithm that required a flat or downhill gap to be greater than an internally specified number of miles in order to divide things up. The "warnings" were more like notifications after the climb initiated, which might have been due to GPS lag.

I had it set to what I assume are the default settings, in which the climb-pro display would pop up over whatever else I was looking at, and I found myself more than once having to dismiss it for some reason.

Is it possible you have it set not to disturb you in this way? If so, it might be working fine in the background.

Otherwise, I am wondering if its elevation information is of poorer quality in Alaska.

Last edited by Polaris OBark; 10-10-22 at 05:45 PM.