Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

2023 Post your Single Speed and Fixed Gear Thread

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

2023 Post your Single Speed and Fixed Gear Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-24, 08:44 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1607 Post(s)
Liked 2,578 Times in 1,220 Posts
Likes For curbtender:
Old 03-28-24, 01:06 AM
rickpaulos

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 87 Posts
I got this Motobecane USA Fantom Cross Uno last year as a challenge project. Get the broken off seat post out of the frame. As the fbm ad shows, it was listed for nearly a year before I bought. The previous owner said he used it to deliver pizzas. The bike had been sitting out doors in the midwest for many years so stuck parts are the norm. You can see someone attempted surgery on it and botched it. It sat most of another winter out a my place before I got around to it. Getting the seat post out wasn't difficult after all. Now has the correct size seat post and post clamp. A bolt on clamp instead of a qr because It needs to be very tight after being mangled. The QR clamps i tried would not hold the post. Pedals were seized in the cranks. BB nearly seized. Both pedals beyond worn out. One pedal axle was broken off at the cone threads. Many deep chips in the paint and many scuffs on the frame but the decals were 'okay' so I did some wet sanding and touch up painting to try to make it look better. Looks okay from10 feet, but lousy up close. Despite the many chips and sitting out for years, the frame has very little rust. I guess due to more chromium content in the steel alloy. Added white v-brakes and white cables and a white saddle. New pedals and grips and bb. Used chain in okay shape. Shorter stem and some very light bars. Total weight is 23.6 pounds with a heavy stem and heavy tires. Cromo frame. I had to straighten out the rear dropouts so the wheel would sit straight without bending the axle. Rear hub has sealed cartridge bearings. Repacked the front hub but it still rumbles a bit. Wheels don't match but are straight and useable. One was hand drilled for a Schrader valve, other wheel still presta. Fixed/ss reverse-able rear wheel. Just 1 short test ride as it was too cold and windy. I'll probably ride it 50 miles and then flip it.

Likes For rickpaulos:
Old 03-30-24, 09:29 PM
rickpaulos

Just got this today. SE Bikes Lager ss/fixie
needs some work. Welds aren't great. "Cro-Mo Seat Tube" which I assume means the rest of the frame is plain steel. Msrp $699 seems a couple hundred too high. Those tires ride very nice. I'll be swapping the bars to a slight riser, change brake lever, full repack and cleaning. One of the seat rails popped out of the plastic seat body. Never had any luck getting those back in.

Last edited by rickpaulos; 03-30-24 at 09:31 PM. Reason: photo
Old 03-30-24, 09:40 PM
rickpaulos

This is a Cutter Bones.
Rear hub was trashed. Space alien head badge.
Before & after photos.

Before:

After: