Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

2011 Madone 5.5 Project Bike

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 12-01-22, 09:01 AM
sastma

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I an opportunity to pickup a 2011 Madone 5.5 frame for $100 thinking it would be a fun project bike. I have 2006 Madone 5.2 and thought I could put the Ultegra components on from that bike on the newer frame. Any thoughts? Are they compatible?
I would also need to get a new BB and thought a Token BB3274 would be a good choice. What are your thoughts on that BB? Any experience with that?

BTW the 06 Madone is being replaced due to a car vs bike incident. Everyone survived but the frame.

Thanks for your Suggestions!
T
Old 12-01-22, 10:00 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4172 Post(s)
Liked 3,791 Times in 2,270 Posts
Glad to hear that riders didn't suffer in the incident (and I rarely call a bike crash an accident). Been there and did that a few times myself (walking home with the bike on one's shoulder gives one a lot of time to reconstruct the incident and see how they contributed to the crash).

While I have worked in Trek shops I never bothered to do the homework of comparing model year versions and how much remained the same or were deferent WRT swapping over parts. The BB shell, head tube and steerer, brake caliper spec, cable routing and adjusters could all be deferent enough to not play nice. Also know that in 2001 tire widths and the frame clearances were pretty tight. If you are hoping to run 28mm tires or wide rims do that check before spending $. I will also suggest having the 2001 frame and fork inspected by someone who knows about carbon and its failure modes before your $ leaves your hands. Andy
Old 12-01-22, 01:13 PM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 573 Posts
Aren't these BB90 frames?
Old 12-01-22, 01:17 PM
sastma

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Lombard
Aren't these BB90 frames?
That is correct
Old 12-01-22, 01:46 PM
Shadco 
Resident PIA

Bikes: Gunnar Roadie, Look 765 Optimum, Spesh Aethos

Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 183 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
Glad to hear that riders didn't suffer in the incident (and I rarely call a bike crash an accident). Been there and did that a few times myself (walking home with the bike on one's shoulder gives one a lot of time to reconstruct the incident and see how they contributed to the crash).

While I have worked in Trek shops I never bothered to do the homework of comparing model year versions and how much remained the same or were deferent WRT swapping over parts. The BB shell, head tube and steerer, brake caliper spec, cable routing and adjusters could all be deferent enough to not play nice. Also know that in 2001 tire widths and the frame clearances were pretty tight. If you are hoping to run 28mm tires or wide rims do that check before spending $. I will also suggest having the 2001 frame and fork inspected by someone who knows about carbon and its failure modes before your $ leaves your hands. Andy
Dont think 2001 frame details don’t matter since the newer frame is a 2011 frame.

I don't know where I am now...
05 Gunnar Roadie Chorus/Record
67'er
Old 12-01-22, 02:18 PM
KCT1986

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 333 Post(s)
Liked 293 Times in 220 Posts
Originally Posted by Shadco
Dont think 2001 frame details don’t matter since the newer frame is a 2011 frame.

Senior moment?
Old 12-01-22, 02:39 PM
KCT1986

Quoted: 333 Post(s)
Liked 293 Times in 220 Posts
Back on topic..

With Trek the changes would mainly be to the BB, seatpost and headtube areas. Trek seems to tweak these parts of the frame regularly.

2011 was still in the middle of the 10 speed era for Shimano race level groups. Not much had really changed that would affect fitment of parts. Derailleurs were the same, Shimano Shadow RD weren't in road groups yet. Brakes were still the same since wheels mainly still used rims in the 20-22mm outside width. Compact cranks were just beginning to appear so 53/39 or so, was still expected.

So, if the frame came with fork, headset and seatmast, most parts should be OK. You seem to have the BB figured out.
Likes For KCT1986:
Old 12-01-22, 03:51 PM
oldbobcat

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 508 Post(s)
Liked 434 Times in 331 Posts
28 mm tires will definitely clear the 2011 frame, but if you're using narrower 2006-era rims, they'll be happier with 25s or 26s.
Old 12-01-22, 03:54 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4172 Post(s)
Liked 3,791 Times in 2,270 Posts
Originally Posted by KCT1986

Senior moment?
Yes, my reading issues have been around since before kids got all sorts of "labels" when in school. Still most of my reply holds water. Andy
Old 12-01-22, 04:10 PM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Originally Posted by oldbobcat
28 mm tires will definitely clear the 2011 frame, but if you're using narrower 2006-era rims, they'll be happier with 25s or 26s.
And that brings up an issue. If your old Madone was a 2006, it probably has those infamous paired spoke wheels. I had those on my 2007 Pilot and the rear wheel developed cracks at 4000 miles. Check the rear wheel spoke holes with a magnifying glass. They are well known for cracks. If you are very lightweight, then maybe they're OK. If so, they're 14mm internal width and the 28mm tires will go on just fine.
Likes For Lombard:
Old 12-01-22, 04:54 PM
Shadco 
Resident PIA

Bikes: Gunnar Roadie, Look 765 Optimum, Spesh Aethos

Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 183 Posts
Yes, my reading issues have been around since before kids got all sorts of "labels" when in school. Still most of my reply holds water. Andy
Yeah and my grammar sux.

I don't know where I am now...
05 Gunnar Roadie Chorus/Record
67'er
Old 12-01-22, 06:21 PM
Buzzkill53120

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 2019, Trek Trek Madone 5.1 (2011), Trek 1400 (1991)

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 33 Posts
If the BB has bearings installed, check their part number before buying BB parts. I have the same model year madone and I had to install oversized bearings after couple of years. No problems after that. The oversized bearings have a diameter of 0.1mm larger for a snug fit. Trek at one time would rework the BB shell to bring it back into tolerance, however I believe they’ve given that practice up.
Old 12-02-22, 10:21 AM
sastma

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks all for the suggestions and thoughts. I'm gonna give it a go.
It will be interesting to see how the old components interchange the new frame. Couple of the grommets are missing but I think I can 3D print some replacements (not seeing those parts readily available).
Great suggestion on wheels. I do want to try 28s for some long rides.
Will be fun to see how a newer BB works out.
Old 12-02-22, 10:35 AM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Originally Posted by sastma
It will be interesting to see how the old components interchange the new frame. Couple of the grommets are missing but I think I can 3D print some replacements (not seeing those parts readily available).
Once you try 28s, trust me, you will never want to go back to 25s.
Likes For Lombard:
Old 12-02-22, 01:45 PM
biker128pedal

Bikes: 2022 Fuel EX 8, 2021 Domane SL6, Black Beta (Nashbar frame), 2004 Trek 1000C for the trainer

Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Liked 443 Times in 262 Posts
Originally Posted by sastma
I’d buy buy and try one first on the front and rear. It may be close to the fork crown up front. Should fit tube rear. Then go mullet.

PS. With time the tire will stretch and expand about 1 mm width each side.

Last edited by biker128pedal; 12-02-22 at 02:44 PM.
Old 12-02-22, 04:22 PM
jp911

Bikes: Trek Madone 5.2 Dura Ace, Niner RLT9 aluminum, Santa Cruz 5010 CC, Niner Air 9 rigid 29er, Trek Farley alloy

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 36 Posts
The only other oddball item on a Madone of that generation is the seat mast (not a seat post). There were different mast lengths and you could also trim them, depending on your needs (there's up and down adjustment, but it's not as much as a typical seat post). If your inseam is more than a few inches longer than the previous owner, you might need to find a longer mast.
Old 12-03-22, 11:19 AM
sastma

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jp911
The only other oddball item on a Madone of that generation is the seat mast (not a seat post). There were different mast lengths and you could also trim them, depending on your needs (there's up and down adjustment, but it's not as much as a typical seat post). If your inseam is more than a few inches longer than the previous owner, you might need to find a longer mast.
I got lucky with the seat mast. That mast cost $150 by itself new. My frame came with one.