Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Shopping without panniers

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-23, 09:42 PM
Arthur Peabody

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked 110 Times in 66 Posts

Stores aren't letting me bring in my panniers. I've been carrying a cloth shopping bag around my neck with bungee cords, whipping it out at the cash register, bungeeing it on to my Blackburn, but it's small and will be less comfortable in hot weather. Is there a container of some kind I can hide under my shirt and attach to the rack?
Or has someone an alternative?
Old 02-14-23, 10:29 PM
mtnbud

Bikes: 2019 Trek Stash 7, 1994 Specialized Epic 1986 Diamondback Ascent 1996 Klein Pulse Comp, 2006 Specialized Sequoia Elite

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 418 Post(s)
Liked 523 Times in 291 Posts
Lonepeak makes a shopping bag pannier. https://lonepeakpacks.com/product/grocery-bag-pannier/

You could make something similar using their basic design.

If you make your own make sure the backside has a hard backing and set them up so you can cinch them up so they won't flop around when they're empty.

Last edited by mtnbud; 02-14-23 at 10:37 PM.
Old 02-14-23, 10:45 PM
mschwett 

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1273 Post(s)
Liked 1,392 Times in 710 Posts
Originally Posted by Arthur Peabody
Stores aren't letting me bring in my panniers. I've been carrying a cloth shopping bag around my neck with bungee cords, whipping it out at the cash register, bungeeing it on to my Blackburn, but it's small and will be less comfortable in hot weather. Is there a container of some kind I can hide under my shirt and attach to the rack?
confused. why do you need to bring your panniers in the store? leave them on the bike, bring in a reusable grocery bag or two (presumably this will fit in your empty panniers on the way there, no need to wear like a necklace), walk out of the store with your groceries in the bags, put the bags into the panniers, or if needed, transfer the items from the bags into the panniers and then stuff the empty, folded up bags in.
Old 02-14-23, 11:05 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2579 Post(s)
Liked 5,636 Times in 2,920 Posts
I was thinking a triple D bra would work fine.

Old 02-14-23, 11:15 PM
GamblerGORD53

Bikes: 2013 Custom SA5w / Rohloff Tourster

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1237 Post(s)
Liked 320 Times in 247 Posts
I just hang the bags on my steel bars. LOL. That's why I have 2 bells on all my bikes. I don't go far or often tho.
But then again, my tour bike had hanging bags almost the whole way. The nose trunk stopped the swaying.
Old 02-14-23, 11:29 PM
Outrider1

Bikes: Trek Emonda ALR 5

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 302 Times in 140 Posts
Originally Posted by mschwett
confused. why do you need to bring your panniers in the store? leave them on the bike, bring in a reusable grocery bag or two (presumably this will fit in your empty panniers on the way there, no need to wear like a necklace), walk out of the store with your groceries in the bags, put the bags into the panniers, or if needed, transfer the items from the bags into the panniers and then stuff the empty, folded up bags in.
This.
Likes For Outrider1:
Old 02-14-23, 11:42 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,928 Times in 2,553 Posts
Good grief, why? (Not directed at you but the stores? I've been carrying Ortleibs into the Portland markets the past two decades and no one's ever said a word.) My pattern - lock up, lift off the pannier, drop them into the lower tray on the cart, have the cashier load the cart or hand me the items. I wheel the cart to a quiet corner, load the bags for the best ride and best for the food and packaging. Ride home. Bring the bags into the kitchen to unload (and rinse if needed). Hang to dry if needed. Really easy. (Ortleibs wash like pots.)

I'm very aware that you may be a lone voice and need to choose your battles so I'm not going to say you have to confront whoever to get that changed but perhaps you have a local bike advocacy organization and you could mention it.

Honestly don't have any ideas for you.
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 02-15-23, 12:15 AM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked 1,628 Times in 1,044 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
I was thinking a triple D bra would work fine.
Allot of guys down range now calling this rig their Bra...

Old 02-15-23, 12:15 AM
blue192

Bikes: Norco Scene 1, Khs Westwood, Jamis Allegro 3x

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 47 Posts
In my younger days I had a supermarket prevent me from shopping carrying my panniers and told me to leave them up front. I refused arguing that the panniers could be stolen and as a result I just stopped shopping there. Now that I am old and retired I have a permantly installed folding wire basket mounted to the rear rack and holds a single reusable shopping bag nicely that might be a solution for you as well.
Likes For blue192:
Old 02-15-23, 12:26 AM
raceboy

Bikes: One of each: Road, Hybrid, Trekking

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 53 Posts
I leave panniers on my bike and use the store’s basket that I grab in the entry area. At checkout, I tell the checker to reload the groceries in the basket after scanning so I can load my bike and return the basket. I’ve never had a question or problem…
Old 02-15-23, 12:32 AM
fjifu

Bikes: 76 Fuji Gran Tourer, 80 Gran Tourer SE

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
this made me laugh out loud. can't tell if OP is joking or not
Old 02-15-23, 07:30 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,473 Times in 1,834 Posts
If a store wouldn
't let me in with panniers I would start a real issue ... I would get my phone out and tape the manager explaining that I wasn't allowed to bring bags in, and then video women with handbags walking in. I would send the footage to the store's head office and then mention that this discrimination would look great on whichever local news channel liked to feature consumer issues.

Unless No one can bring any bag into a store, anyone can bring Any bag into a store.

If the store were one I didn't care about, I simply wouldn't ever shop there. if it were say, the closest grocery store and the best place to get necessities, I would go right up the corporate ladder, and I would shoot video of people with baby strollers, e diaper bags, knapsacks, handbags, fanny packs... in effect you are being singles out as a potential thief because you have bike bags. Dontt tolerate it.
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 02-15-23, 07:32 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Also ... I do not leave my panniers outside ... because I like to be sure I will have them when I leave the store with an armful of groceries. I can lock or double-lock the bike but the panniers are not so easy to secure. Even lock-on panniers could be pried off---they aren't likely to fall off while riding but are not theft-proof.
Old 02-15-23, 07:44 AM
RobbiRobbi
Steel City, Steel Bike

Bikes: 2012 Jamis Coda Sport

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
Also ... I do not leave my panniers outside ... because I like to be sure I will have them when I leave the store with an armful of groceries. I can lock or double-lock the bike but the panniers are not so easy to secure. Even lock-on panniers could be pried off---they aren't likely to fall off while riding but are not theft-proof.
Exactly. It’s not super likely they get stolen if you’re in for a short time, but man would I be pissed if someone took them AND I didn’t have an easy way to get my food home.

Last edited by RobbiRobbi; 02-15-23 at 07:47 AM. Reason: quote formatting
Old 02-15-23, 08:43 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10955 Post(s)
Liked 7,484 Times in 4,186 Posts
This is one of those times where it is completely reasonable to name the multiple stores that hold this policy as well as what town/metro you are in. Its a simple PSA, really.
I cant even imagine walking into a grocery store with a pan bag and being told I cant have that in the store, while countless others walk in with reusable grocery bags that are the same size.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 02-15-23, 09:56 AM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2012 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 234 Posts
Why in the world would a store care what you put into your shopping cart as you enter? I usually just use reusable shopping bags and then load them into the panniers on the bike after. Detaching them from the bike is more hassle, but it could be done, and when detached, then can go right into a shopping cart.
Likes For mcours2006:
Old 02-15-23, 10:21 AM
mschwett 

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Quoted: 1273 Post(s)
Liked 1,392 Times in 710 Posts
Originally Posted by mcours2006
Why in the world would a store care what you put into your shopping cart as you enter? I usually just use reusable shopping bags and then load them into the panniers on the bike after. Detaching them from the bike is more hassle, but it could be done, and when detached, then can go right into a shopping cart.
shoplifting, probably. many stores have “no outside bags while shopping” policies. they want you to use their carts and baskets, which get emptied at the checkout aisle before you start filling the bag you’ll take home, which is quickly/visually verifiably empty.

i don’t think this is an anti-cyclist thing, and it’s so trivially easy to deal with that i also wonder if the post is trolling or what…
Old 02-15-23, 11:18 AM
Maelochs

shoplifting, probably. many stores have “no outside bags while shopping” policies. they want you to use their carts and baskets, which get emptied at the checkout aisle before you start filling the bag you’ll take home, which is quickly/visually verifiably empty.
And in some stores I have been asked to check my bags at Customer Service, and am given a receipt.

It depends how much it matters to you. If a person walks in with Any kind of bag and is not asked to check it, you have a legit case. As I mentioned, no one is asked to check diaper bags or strollers or handbags, and it has been proven many times people use them for theft.
Old 02-15-23, 12:12 PM
Calsun
Banned

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
Why not simply leave your panniers outside and load up a grocery basket and then loading the groceries into the panniers after you exit the store? It is what I have always done and not a big deal.
Likes For Calsun:
Old 02-15-23, 01:43 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked 2,822 Times in 1,541 Posts
What stores? where
why would you need to hide a bag in such convoluted manner.
it is increasingly common that people bring their own bags to stores as many stores now charge for bags.

this seems really at odds with anything i see in my area (california)

Old 02-15-23, 02:27 PM
Arthur Peabody

Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked 110 Times in 66 Posts
If a store wouldn't let me in with panniers I would start a real issue...
Sounds like a lot of work and unlikely to help....
Unless No one can bring any bag into a store, anyone can bring Any bag into a store.
Shopping bags are okay, not backpacks or panniers or any bag with structure larger than some too-small-for-my-purposes size

Originally Posted by mcours2006
Why in the world would a store care what you put into your shopping cart as you enter?
Shoplifting. They don't want to have to inspect customers' bags on departure.

Originally Posted by Calsun
Why not simply leave your panniers outside
The one time I absentmindedly left a pannier on my bicycle it was gone when I returned. I keep my panniers with me for the same reason the stores don't let them inside.

Originally Posted by squirtdad
What stores?
Mallwart, True Value, Ace, Family Dollar, Big Lots, Dollar Tree, many others.

Originally Posted by squirtdad
where why would you need to hide a bag in such convoluted manner.
I was unclear. I don't need to hide the shopping bag, I just find it convenient to carry it inside my shirt instead of bungeeing it onto the rack.
Old 02-16-23, 06:12 AM
Maelochs

Possible fold the panniers flat and tie/bungee/strap them flat so that they are not obviously bags, and obviously could not be repositories for shoplifted items?

Not sure what you were looking for when you posted here ....

Hiding a bag under your shirt? I wear loose jerseys, but not that loose .....

Anyway, I am sure you will work it out.
Old 02-16-23, 08:03 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10955 Post(s)
Liked 7,484 Times in 4,186 Posts

i don’t think this is an anti-cyclist thing, and it’s so trivially easy to deal with that i also wonder if the post is trolling or what…
So stores you refer to dont allow people to bring in reusable shopping bags? I mean...thatd be odd.
Old 02-16-23, 08:30 AM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Liked 810 Times in 471 Posts
I've never had a store object to panniers..but.. another option is the tried and true, time honored kitty litter bucket approach to the touring-grocery-getter life:

Grab an old mtn bike and rig it up for grocery runs. I doubt anyone is going to snatch your buckets.
Likes For fishboat:
Old 02-16-23, 08:47 AM
Chuck Naill

Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 184 Times in 120 Posts
My first thought was to consider a large bike messenger bag. Wear it in on your back and fill as you are leaving..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.