Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Making the switch to 1x

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-23, 12:40 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4929 Post(s)
Liked 8,062 Times in 3,811 Posts
Originally Posted by jonathanf2
Even if it looks straight, it could be bent. Since you bought the bike used, it's still a good idea to have it aligned. This also why I'm a big fan of the current Shimano shadow RD design. I've dropped/crashed my gravel bike so many times and the hanger is still good. I'm even running a mismatched 10/11 speed drivetrain combo and it shifts like butter.
The big thing that puzzles me is that it worked well, right up to the moment that I replaced old parts with new parts. Then, when I put the old parts back on, they didn't work right, either. I don't see where things could have gotten bent in that time. I said a lot of "colorful" words during the process.

All that said, you might be right that it's a bent hanger. I figure it's something worth checking and being able to adjust on all my bikes, so I just ordered the tool.
Old 03-10-23, 05:58 PM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1391 Post(s)
Liked 1,852 Times in 1,066 Posts
seems to be a challenge to install the rear wheel on a bike with a shadow RD

is it just me and / or my bike ?
Old 03-11-23, 05:10 AM
DorkDisk

Bikes: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Teesdale Kona Hot | Haro Extreme | Specialized Stumpjumper Comp | Cannondale F1000 | Shogun 1000 | Cannondale M500 | Norco Charger | Marin Muirwoods 29er | Shogun Kaze | Breezer Lightning

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked 1,001 Times in 488 Posts
Originally Posted by t2p
seems to be a challenge to install the rear wheel on a bike with a shadow RD

is it just me and / or my bike ?
Are you turning thr clutch off?
Old 03-11-23, 05:51 AM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Originally Posted by DorkDisk
Are you turning thr clutch off?

no clutch on this one

no issues before this RD was installed - but PITA after

( btw - note dork disc still attached ; member in good standing of the dork disc club lol )
Old 03-12-23, 12:24 PM
jonathanf2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 445 Post(s)
Liked 1,041 Times in 441 Posts
Originally Posted by t2p

no clutch on this one

no issues before this RD was installed - but PITA after

( btw - note dork disc still attached ; member in good standing of the dork disc club lol )

I found using shadow derailleurs a bit more cumbersome to mount on QR bikes. On thru axle setups, it's much easier.
Old 03-13-23, 04:00 AM
Fentuz

Bikes: Dahon Jetstream p8 (sold), customized Dahon Helios x10, customzed Dahon Smooth Hound x11,customized Dahon Hammerhead 8.0 d7, Planet X Free Ranger (mullet setup 1x11), Planet X Giovanissimi 20 (1x9), Frog 52 (1x9) and Frog 48 1s

Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked 238 Times in 174 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
Doing some research on my issues, I found out why I needed a spacer for the XT 11-42 cassette, but not the Ultegra or SRAM cassettes. On Shimano 11s MTB cassettes, the inboard end of the cassette that fits over the freehub is inset from the face of the largest cog. Shimano 11s road cassettes are not inset. Cog spacing was not my issue.
Yes, that's what I was trying to say.

Now, the hanger seems to be the most logical as you are getting the same issue with know cassette. I don't have a hanger wheel alignment tool so when I crash (happened twice on ice last winter), I set the derailleur on the smallest cag to remove cable tension, undo the derailleur and take of the hanger to check the straightness.
I check the straightness in a vice; a good vice should have good flat parallel steel jaws (no knurling) and I light clamp the hanger to see if there is a gap between the jaw and the hanger. If there is a gap, it's bent. The gap can be checked with a set of filler blades (as used to check spark plug gaps for example). Then, depending how "brave" I feel, I straighten the hanger. So far far, this method worked well but I keep a spare new hanger just in case...
Note that I sent the "more expensive carbon" bike once a year to a pro shop to get it checked/serviced and it includes hanger check. So far so good...
Old 03-13-23, 11:30 AM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1939 Post(s)
Liked 1,463 Times in 1,012 Posts
Doing some research on my issues, I found out why I needed a spacer for the XT 11-42 cassette, but not the Ultegra or SRAM cassettes. On Shimano 11s MTB cassettes, the inboard end of the cassette that fits over the freehub is inset from the face of the largest cog. Shimano 11s road cassettes are not inset. Cog spacing was not my issue.
Shoot, I should have suggested the spacer earlier, but I misread your initial post. I thought you had gone from an Ultegra 11-34 cassette to a SRAM 11-36 cassette. But you started with an Ultegra 11-32 cassette. The Ultegra (and 105) 11-34 cassettes are technically not within series because they really MTB cassettes and thus also need the 1.85 mm spacer when installed onto a Shimano 11-speed freehub.
Old 03-17-23, 03:44 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Fixed it!!…The issues were a misaligned derailleur hanger (as some of you predicted - thanks!)

New parts installed and functional - 11-42 XT cassette, GRX 812 rear derailleur (plus gold JRC pulleys), Wolf Tooth 38T ring. Everything seems to be working okay on my stand and rolling around on the street in front of my house. Tomorrow, I will give it a proper test.

I’m not sure I like the new bar tape. I’ll probably go back to black.

Last edited by Eric F; 03-17-23 at 04:05 PM.
Likes For Eric F:
Old 03-20-23, 02:55 AM
Fentuz

Bikes: Dahon Jetstream p8 (sold), customized Dahon Helios x10, customzed Dahon Smooth Hound x11,customized Dahon Hammerhead 8.0 d7, Planet X Free Ranger (mullet setup 1x11), Planet X Giovanissimi 20 (1x9), Frog 52 (1x9) and Frog 48 1s

Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked 238 Times in 174 Posts
Looks good!!! even with the cyclology bar tape. Alternatively, Orange silicone would go too and recall the seatpost clamp and headset caps. If you want to go wacky, the cinelli art collection has a red/orange eye ball design but it is for specific taste.
Likes For Fentuz:
Old 03-20-23, 08:46 AM
t2p

the funky looking tape looks good

but plain black also would look good - sorta match the understated / business-like look of the frame (which is an awesome lookin frame)

could also do a red/black mix (as in pic above)
Likes For t2p:
Old 03-20-23, 11:05 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

I took the bike out on Saturday afternoon, but didn't get far before a leaking rear tire turned me around to head for home before it went totally flat. On the few miles I rode it, everything seemed to be working fine across the gear range. The 38x11 high gear gets me easily over 25 mph. For my needs, I don't anticipate needing more than that.

Based on weights of parts, I don't think there was much weight savings. The GRX derailleur and 11-42 cassette are heavier than the parts that came off, and the single Wolf Tooth chain ring is pretty stout and isn't much lighter than the surprisingly light Ultegra rings. If there is any weight savings, it seems like it's 10s of grams, not 100s of grams. At an overall weight of 19.5 lbs., I'm pretty happy with it.
Old 03-21-23, 08:48 AM
jonnojohnson

Bikes: '04 Bianchi Axis

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Options to convert a 3x9 Bianchi Axis to 1x

Hi Everyone,
I have an '04 Bianchi Axis which is basically this spec but the og owner and I have made some mods over the years: https://bikepedia.azurewebsites.net/...spx?item=39241
Current specs:
3 chainrings 48/36/28 (I think the 28T was added by the og owner), Sugino XD-500D cranks, Shimano LX FD
9 speed cassette, 11-32, Deore XT RD
105 STI drop bar shifters
I would like to convert to a 1x setup but am fairly cost sensitive. I don't ride CX races, just like the flexibility of the bike for all terrain. I'd like to keep the max gear range practical. Weight is not a huge issue, I just like the idea of simplifying the gearing system down and getting rid of the annoying FD system.
I've considered just going to Microshift Advent X but with RD, 11-48T Cassette, drop bar shifters and a new N/W chainring I think I'd be looking at around $350 and honestly not sure I want to pay that much given I don't ride that often.
Is there another option I'm missing? If my 105 STI shifters are limited to a 9 speed cassette, what is the max gear range cassette I could get that would be compatible?

Thanks

Jonno.
Old 03-24-23, 11:03 AM
jonathanf2

Quoted: 445 Post(s)
Liked 1,041 Times in 441 Posts
I took the bike out on Saturday afternoon, but didn't get far before a leaking rear tire turned me around to head for home before it went totally flat. On the few miles I rode it, everything seemed to be working fine across the gear range. The 38x11 high gear gets me easily over 25 mph. For my needs, I don't anticipate needing more than that.

Based on weights of parts, I don't think there was much weight savings. The GRX derailleur and 11-42 cassette are heavier than the parts that came off, and the single Wolf Tooth chain ring is pretty stout and isn't much lighter than the surprisingly light Ultegra rings. If there is any weight savings, it seems like it's 10s of grams, not 100s of grams. At an overall weight of 19.5 lbs., I'm pretty happy with it.
Yeah, I don't think 1x really gains you much in weight savings even if you remove the FD, you still end up with a heavier RD/cassette. For gravel I think the benefit is in the simplicity of the drivetrain, better chain retention and ease maintenance. Also I don't find myself much slower going from a 2x/46-30t to a 1x/40t with my setup. It's not like I was able to go fast to begin with running wide profile gravel tires.
Old 03-24-23, 11:10 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Originally Posted by jonathanf2
Yeah, I don't think 1x really gains you much in weight savings even if you remove the FD, you still end up with a heavier RD/cassette. For gravel I think the benefit is in the simplicity of the drivetrain, better chain retention and ease maintenance. Also I don't find myself much slower going from a 2x/46-30t to a 1x/40t with my setup. It's not like I was able to go fast to begin with running wide profile gravel tires.
I brought up weight because I've heard/seen people comment about how 1x makes the bike lighter. What I found (with the parts I used) is that the difference is small enough to be essentially insignificant.
Old 03-24-23, 11:16 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Originally Posted by jonnojohnson
Hi Everyone,
I have an '04 Bianchi Axis which is basically this spec but the og owner and I have made some mods over the years: https://bikepedia.azurewebsites.net/...spx?item=39241
Current specs:
3 chainrings 48/36/28 (I think the 28T was added by the og owner), Sugino XD-500D cranks, Shimano LX FD
9 speed cassette, 11-32, Deore XT RD
105 STI drop bar shifters
I would like to convert to a 1x setup but am fairly cost sensitive. I don't ride CX races, just like the flexibility of the bike for all terrain. I'd like to keep the max gear range practical. Weight is not a huge issue, I just like the idea of simplifying the gearing system down and getting rid of the annoying FD system.
I've considered just going to Microshift Advent X but with RD, 11-48T Cassette, drop bar shifters and a new N/W chainring I think I'd be looking at around $350 and honestly not sure I want to pay that much given I don't ride that often.
Is there another option I'm missing? If my 105 STI shifters are limited to a 9 speed cassette, what is the max gear range cassette I could get that would be compatible?

Thanks

Jonno.
If your 105 shifter are 9s, you're going to be limited to working within a 9s framework. A quick search on Amazon came up with 9s cassettes up to 11-50. Whether that will work with your shifters and RD, I don't know. I'll leave that research for you.
Old 03-24-23, 03:53 PM
t2p

I brought up weight because I've heard/seen people comment about how 1x makes the bike lighter. What I found (with the parts I used) is that the difference is small enough to be essentially insignificant.
agree

reducing weigh with 1X can be a challenge

weight savings can be limited or basically a wash especially if a wide range is desired

if a wide range is not required - less of a challenge ... can use a smaller / lighter cassette (and often will not use RD with a clutch)

wide range will often require big ring and cassette with big large cog(s) ... some cassettes alone can weigh around a pound (and more ?)

if the cassette has a 10t small cog - this can reduce the chainring size and therefore a cassette with smaller big cog can deliver the desired lower gear ... but still can require some careful component selection (and of course can add to the cost)
Likes For t2p:
Old 03-26-23, 07:24 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

I finally got to give my 1x setup a proper test on a demanding ride. Everything worked exactly like it was supposed to, and I enjoyed the simplicity of 1x in the dirt, just the same as I do with my MTB. I’m very happy with it all.

On a side note, buying a proper derailleur hanger adjustment tool was critical for resolving my issues with my gravel bike. I also checked and adjusted the hangers on my road bike and MTB. Both haven’t shifted better as long as I’ve owned them. Money well spent (IMO).
Old 03-27-23, 11:39 AM
t2p

good to hear

still puzzling the bike shifted well before

I was not too thrilled with 1x (for gravel bike) - until I did a few short rides on 1x (gravel bike) I recently acquired and it grew on me quickly

I recently set up / upgraded another gravel bike with a 2x - and now wondering if I should have gone 1x
Old 03-27-23, 11:50 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Originally Posted by t2p
good to hear

still puzzling the bike shifted well before

I was not too thrilled with 1x (for gravel bike) - until I did a few short rides on 1x (gravel bike) I recently acquired and it grew on me quickly

I recently set up / upgraded another gravel bike with a 2x - and now wondering if I should have gone 1x
I realized that the derailleur hanger may have been bent during the post-ride hose-down I did just before making the parts swap. My habit has been to lay my bike in the grass, hose it off, flip it over, and hose off the other side, Then, take into my garage for wipe-down and lube. When the bike is laying on the drive side, the derailleur may have been in a position that bent the hanger. This might be why the hangers on my other bikes were also out of alignment (although not as much). My hose-down process has since been modified to eliminate that issue.

I can see that 1x might not work as well for some people as others. It's going to be dependent on the kind of terrain you ride, and what kind of gearing range you need for it. For me, it seems to be a good choice (so far)
Old 03-29-23, 02:30 PM
jonnojohnson

Bikes: '04 Bianchi Axis

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The more I look at it the more I think a 1x9 is a bad idea for me.
Seems like the best option if I do want to go 1x is to go with the Advent X RD which would required RD, Cassette, drop shifters & W/N chainring at a minimum. Maybe one day.
Old 04-01-23, 08:04 AM
Symox

Bikes: '23 Poseidon Redwood, '07 Specialized Roubaix Comp Triple, '12 Gravity Fixie, '21 Liv Rove 4, '06? Giant EB Spirit

Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 151 Posts
Microshift adventx

I’ve been very impressed with this setup in 1x (32 front chainring with 11-48 cassette)

dialed in the shifting is precise (clunky in a good way as opposed to refined like Shimano). Great ergonomics on the Bridget’s too

Highly recommended