Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Origami Swift - Thoughts, Ideas For a New Version of a Classic

Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Origami Swift - Thoughts, Ideas For a New Version of a Classic

Old 03-02-23, 09:23 AM
joey buzzard

Bikes: Swift Folder, Haro Vector, Sundeal V1 mini-velo,1991 Peugeot 531 Reynolds road bike with Campy wheels and Ultegra 6600 groupset

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 96 Posts
Wikipedia entry on the hand of Fatima symbol.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hamsa
Likes For joey buzzard:
Old 03-02-23, 10:12 AM
Pinigis 

Bikes: Origami Gazelle, Origami Crane 8, Origami Cricket 7

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 241 Posts
Originally Posted by joey buzzard
Maybe this is a mad one, but I'll throw it out there.

I had a funny thought today while I was sitting on a bench soaking up sunshine ('tis a cool day even though it's sunny and I've ridden out to Motril near the coast this morning). I sat myself down examining the silver paint job on Xootie under the sunshine and thinking that in three years or so and many kilometres of riding, this frame is beginning to look kinda lackluster. Lots of little scratches and dings and whatnots. Maybe time to consider powdercoating it. Then my eye caught something that even when I first had a Swift has always struck me as a bit ugly and unaesthetic, and that's the little black label indelibly clear coated on the seat tube telling me to "ride safely, read the manual, avoid slippery conditions and use proper lighting at night Xootr L.L.C. etc". This detail always seemed unnecessary and not exactly pleasing to the eye.
...and then I thought of the image on the little Moroccan change purse I transport my bud in when I'm out riding. It's maybe too pink for many people's taste, but it is emblazoned with an ancient protective symbol you might be familiar with, commonly called "the hand of Fatima".

So, that got me thinking... Maybe to honour what came before, affix a beautifull hand of Fatima design in exactly the same spot on the seat tube where the ugly old safety logo went with the simple words "Go Safely" written beneath.

Maybe this is a silly idea? Perhaps it's too mysticsl? Anyway I realise that it's maybe probably too late; likely the frames are already painted and decaled, ready to ship. But then again I thought it couldn't hurt to throw it out there just in case it isn't too late and this idea appeals to Paul. I do think it would be quite aesthetic, would get the safety message acroslls much more eloquently and would be like invoking mystical protection for all who ride the bike.

If it's not a goer for the Origami Swift, I'll probably add it to my own Xootr if I ever do get around to a new powdercoat. But I think it would look rad and lovely on the new bikes.
It is a cool idea, but probably too personal to have mass appeal. I appreciate the thought.
Old 03-05-23, 09:42 AM
mue

Bikes: Swift, Dahon, Lightfoot, Specialized, Respect, BD Dawes

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
changes I'd make if offered a Swift frameset

Hi Paul, thread ..
Wow! Really glad to see a Swift in production! Wow!
Chromoly great choice. That's the best news, really.

Not really at all sure I'd be ordering a bike or frameset - money is challenging and already got spent before I saw this, so it'd be a new 'money project' to figure this one out (no way I'm selling the Xootr Swift I already have).

Let's move past that for the moment. I do have a history of buying the bikes I want. lol

- - -

If there's any money left -- what I'll change on a shipped frameset, if it becomes available:

Avid BB7 cable-pull disc brakes, dual chain-ring up front (no derailer there, only a finger-lift after dismount, to transfer) 8-speed 34t rear cog (bailout gear). Schwalbe Marathon 40-406 (20 x 1.50) tires, front and rear. Had good luck with the Sram X7 rear derailer, and matching trigger-shifter. Origin8 basket-handlebar (have one on my Xootr Swift).

No idea about rims (haven't looked at the market). Sun Rhyno Lite is my usual, though.

I think everything else on-offer in May for a built-up bike seems fine. I'd have gone with rear-facing track dropouts as on the Xootr, but it's not a deal-breaker, as I'm going rear derailer anyway. May have overlooked something I would've changed.

I have to say the green (is it green?) paint job is for me entirely unappealing. I don't remember what color choices made the final list but I'd be going with not-green unless it wasn't optional on a frameset (if/when).

I generally get bikes painted black; I did get one that was a very nice bright yellow, and it gets lots of compliments. It just looks good.

I'm 6'1" and do steep ascents (primary use of this bike; mine's a Xootr Swift (aluminum) in great shape, converted from (as-shipped) single-speed, to 16-speed with no front derailer).

I love this bike enough to want another for 'insurance' should for any reason I no longer have a Xootr Swift in good condition for riding.

I'm an old - JFK was not quite yet president when I got born. Silver is an oldfart color .. really? I'd be thinking Raleigh Forest Green from about 1969.

Thank you Paul.
Old 03-14-23, 12:05 AM
Tall_Xootr

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
New Swift Sizing

I currently have a Xootr Swift with the longest possible seatpost. I am about 6'5" with a 34 inseam. I am interested in the new Swift for the states. I have two nephews taller than me and I plan to get one to keep at my relatives when I visit the states.

Could you till me the total length from the top of the seat to the pedal when the crank is at the bottom most position?

Could you also tell me the length of the handlebar post from the front wheel axle. I am guessing this should be enough to factor out wheel size..

Regards,
Joseph
Old 03-15-23, 08:24 AM
Pinigis 

Originally Posted by Tall_Xootr
I currently have a Xootr Swift with the longest possible seatpost. I am about 6'5" with a 34 inseam. I am interested in the new Swift for the states. I have two nephews taller than me and I plan to get one to keep at my relatives when I visit the states.

Could you till me the total length from the top of the seat to the pedal when the crank is at the bottom most position?

Could you also tell me the length of the handlebar post from the front wheel axle. I am guessing this should be enough to factor out wheel size..

Regards,
Joseph
The maximum seat-to-pedal length is 40".
The length from the front axle to the handlebar will depend upon the riser used (normal or tall) and the angle of the stem (this is user adjustable), but the range will be from 26" to 30"
Likes For Pinigis:
Old 03-17-23, 08:14 AM
seat_boy

Bikes: Serial bike flipper

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 72 Posts
I'm surprised you can comfortably ride a Swift. I'm 6'3" on a Xootr. It's a fun bike, but it's honestly too small for me. I feel way out over the front end, like hitting a pebble will send me over the bars. Kind of an old school mountain bike feeling.

I would really love to see a XL size of the new Xootr, add 50mm to the top tube and call it good (more rear center would help as well, but that would take more work). Hint hint...

Eric

Originally Posted by Tall_Xootr

Regards,
Joseph
Likes For seat_boy:
Old 03-17-23, 05:50 PM
Tall_Xootr

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Eric,

Here is the front end of my Xootr Swift. The handlebar post extender was suggested by Peter at Swift. I think the handlebar rise is 30mm. You can also find handlebars with more rise if you don’t want the handlebar post extender. Also of course I ride in a more upright position.

Very happy with it, but I am well over the weight limit. Planned on an Origami Swift, but I am right at the edge of the height limit, so I want to see one in person first.

Joseph

Last edited by Tall_Xootr; 03-17-23 at 05:55 PM.
Likes For Tall_Xootr:
Old 03-18-23, 03:08 AM
seat_boy

Bikes: Serial bike flipper

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 72 Posts
I have a similar bar and stem and adapter setup on my Swift. It feels like it's about as tall as it is long (though not quite so tall as yours!)
Old 03-20-23, 02:20 PM
foldup

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I just stumbled onto this conversation. Paul, thank you for listening to so many ideas. I have an original cromoly Swift with a DD rear wheel, I was lucky to find it after selling my aluminum Swift several years ago.
The bike is great, going forward there may be some interesting opportunities to tweak a model for tall people as this part of the market is really underserved. I look forward to buyimng one of the racks for my bike, hardly the way to move product, but it is likely I will find homes for several of the new stock bikes!
btw, I did not really like the green wheels!
Likes For foldup:
Old 03-20-23, 07:04 PM
Pinigis 

Originally Posted by foldup
I just stumbled onto this conversation. Paul, thank you for listening to so many ideas. I have an original cromoly Swift with a DD rear wheel, I was lucky to find it after selling my aluminum Swift several years ago.
The bike is great, going forward there may be some interesting opportunities to tweak a model for tall people as this part of the market is really underserved. I look forward to buyimng one of the racks for my bike, hardly the way to move product, but it is likely I will find homes for several of the new stock bikes!
btw, I did not really like the green wheels!
we aren’t doing the green wheels for production.
Old 03-21-23, 11:42 AM
YayMeKinda

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
show the Origami Swift with a Brompton rack on it?

Wow! Chromoly, YES. Front rack-mount, YES, YES, YES!

Paul can u show a pic of the bike with a front rack attached?

Finally: THANKS!
Old 03-21-23, 12:11 PM
Pinigis 

Originally Posted by YayMeKinda
Wow! Chromoly, YES. Front rack-mount, YES, YES, YES!

Paul can u show a pic of the bike with a front rack attached?

Finally: THANKS!
Well, I would if I could. The mount on the prototype was made incorrectly so we had to revise the design on the production models. It is essentially a Brompton mount (but not an exact copy to avoid any copyright concerns). Any Brompton front block will fit on this too.
Likes For Pinigis:
Old 03-21-23, 12:36 PM
YayMeKinda

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
"the West Coast Partner" . . . Jan Vander Tuin. Look him up on Wikipedia -- I'm too new to put in the URL.
Old 03-27-23, 11:38 AM
mlau

Bikes: Xootr Swift

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by YayMeKinda
"the West Coast Partner" . . . Jan Vander Tuin. Look him up on Wikipedia -- I'm too new to put in the URL.

Dang....I absolutely don't need another bike, but this sorely tempts me.
Likes For mlau:
Old 03-27-23, 11:42 AM
mlau

Originally Posted by Pinigis
We finally have production underway and will be delivering bikes in May (barring any unforeseen Covid issues). I decided to do just two colors for this initial run: the green you see above, and a medium grey metallic for the old farts. Both will have black rims in lieu of the color-matched option since that didn't seem to go over very well with the members of the forum. We did add bottle mounts to the top tube as well as on the handlebar mast (thanks to the forum for this suggestion). Thanks also to the forum for the reminder about taller riders; we will have a taller handlebar mount and longer stem for folks over 6'0". As of last night the bike is available on our site at a preorder discount (this will end either when we have enough orders or we get close to May).

Thank you all for your input, suggestions, scrutiny, and honesty. Just because we may not have employed one of your suggestions doesn't mean that we have dismissed it either. This is just the beginning, we have the option to make make just about any variation you can think of as we proceed.
As a (now) old fart. Thank you!
Likes For mlau:
Old 04-24-23, 08:48 AM
stargazer48

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 4 Posts
Swift Color

I purchased the Swift from Peter Reich back in 2006 and took with me to live in Thailand. While there, I decided to change the color from its original Black to a more blending in tropical look. Color look familiar?
Likes For stargazer48:
Old 04-24-23, 10:08 AM
Pinigis 

Originally Posted by stargazer48
I purchased the Swift from Peter Reich back in 2006 and took with me to live in Thailand. While there, I decided to change the color from its original Black to a more blending in tropical look. Color look familiar?
I guess our green isn’t unique after all.
Likes For Pinigis:
Old 04-30-23, 11:08 PM
mlau

1. Any feedback from early adopters?
2. Any pics of the silver one? I might get one....not green.
Old 05-01-23, 05:17 AM
Pinigis 

Originally Posted by mlau
1. Any feedback from early adopters?
2. Any pics of the silver one? I might get one....not green.
We are still finishing ptt try production and will begin delivery late May early June.
Old 05-15-23, 02:31 PM
Leon S. Kennedy

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
We are still finishing ptt try production and will begin delivery late May early June.
Just wondering if there is an update. Is delivery in late May/early June still likely? Thanks for any info
Old 05-15-23, 06:34 PM
Pinigis 

Originally Posted by Leon S. Kennedy
Just wondering if there is an update. Is delivery in late May/early June still likely? Thanks for any info
we are still trying to correct one issue so I can’t commit to a date.
Old 05-30-23, 05:01 PM
mlau

we are still trying to correct one issue so I can’t commit to a date.

Can I request pictures of the "boring paint job" version?

Currently, I'm back to biking on a beater.
However, if I stick to it long enough, I plan to sell the beater bike and get an Origami Swift.
I miss my old Xootr Swift, but think this one is better (custom rack, better gearing, disk brakes, Brompton attachment point).
Old 05-31-23, 08:45 AM
daviddillard

Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts
I just finished a Swift Folder project bike, got it down to 22 pounds, even with a dynamo hub / headlight and a Brooks B17 saddle.
Old 05-31-23, 10:59 AM
joey buzzard

Bikes: Swift Folder, Haro Vector, Sundeal V1 mini-velo,1991 Peugeot 531 Reynolds road bike with Campy wheels and Ultegra 6600 groupset

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 96 Posts
Originally Posted by daviddillard
I just finished a Swift Folder project bike, got it down to 22 pounds, even with a dynamo hub / headlight and a Brooks B17 saddle.
Got pics?
Old 05-31-23, 11:57 AM
daviddillard

Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts
I have to get a few more posts / replies before I can gain that privilege.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.