Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Need help with and Ironman tires and brakes

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Need help with and Ironman tires and brakes

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-23, 09:15 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3502 Post(s)
Liked 2,917 Times in 1,771 Posts
Originally Posted by shoota
This is not an exact science, and there exceptions to every rule. You might have found one.
I'm wondering if the brake bridge was not properly installed.
Old 03-21-23, 11:14 AM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1557 Post(s)
Liked 1,733 Times in 973 Posts
Did you try moving the rear wheel all the way back in the dropout?
Old 03-21-23, 12:01 PM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Quoted: 2152 Post(s)
Liked 3,402 Times in 1,203 Posts
Originally Posted by blamester
​​​​​​So you proved it. Single pivots worked badly with aero levers which have the same cable entry as brifters. The lever must match the caliper. Shimano brought out dual pivots because single pivots no longer worked with modern levers because of how the cable enters the lever.
Engineers have understood levers ,human handsize and how brakes work for a long time, even before 1985 they knew.
Unless I’ve misunderstood, not sure that Shimano history or my experience backs you up on that.

Shimano introduced SLR aero braking design in 1987 (Dura Ace 7401, 105-1051, and 600-6209), all of them mated with single pivot brakes. While 7401 and 6209 may have had somewhat weaker return springs, 105 return springs are as strong as later SLR brake levers. And, of course, they all worked well with contemporary single pivot Shimano brakes, as dual pivot units were not introduced for several years.

An interesting side note is that Shimano also produced two non-aero SLR brake design levers, the 1050 and 6400. Mainly seen on Europe but they do make their way over here. I have a pair of each and although they work quite nicely with the single pivot calipers within their respective series, they are also great with dual pivots.

So, there’s that.

Last edited by rccardr; 03-21-23 at 07:51 PM.