Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Poorly finished steel seat tube wrecking cf seatpost?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 02-04-23, 03:24 PM
fredlord

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 70 Posts

A tiny"burr" inside the seat tube of a recently purchased steel bike has caused the carbon fiber seatpost to become scratched and delaminated. The seatpost was creaking and ticking a bit when I first rode the bike and these noises increased in volume and frequency quite rapidly before I inspected.

I replaced the seatpost with an aluminium one after having the burr removed.
  1. Could this have been dangerous? I know nothing about carbon fiber.
  2. Am I within my rights to ask the company to pay for the new searpost?
Old 02-04-23, 06:41 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4252 Post(s)
Liked 3,866 Times in 2,579 Posts
Yes it could have been dangerous if it started cracking. Light scratching probably not a huge issue though.

In terms of the company you could ask them but generally I would hone it out first when I am building depending on the builder. If it were a custom frame that I bought painted and finished I would probably say yeah maybe the builder might get a call but for a mass produced frame I would say yeah probably not a bad idea to hone it out and check it over before building.
Old 02-06-23, 11:48 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
Did they put the carbon seat post in the bike?
Likes For Iride01:
Old 02-07-23, 05:39 AM
fredlord

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 70 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
Did they put the carbon seat post in the bike?
The bike came with the carbon fibre seatpost. I swapped it out for an aluminium one after it became damaged by the poorly finished seat tube.
Old 02-07-23, 06:55 AM
beng1
Banned

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 348 Times in 195 Posts
You may have missed the boat. If you showed the bike shop the frame with the burr in it that caused the damage you would have a case, but once the burr was removed so is the proof and evidence of poor manufacturing methods. There are so many threads on the internet about cracking carbon bike frames and parts, I am more happy I never bought into any of it every day.
Likes For beng1:
Old 02-07-23, 09:51 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
Originally Posted by fredlord
The bike came with the carbon fibre seatpost. I swapped it out for an aluminium one after it became damaged by the poorly finished seat tube.
Probably what beng1 said. And especially if this was a new bike you purchased within the last two years from an authorized dealer of that brand, then you first should have taken it back to that dealer before doing anything.
Originally Posted by beng1
You may have missed the boat. If you showed the bike shop the frame with the burr in it that caused the damage you would have a case, but once the burr was removed so is the proof and evidence of poor manufacturing methods. There are so many threads on the internet about cracking carbon bike frames and parts, I am more happy I never bought into any of it every day.
Old 02-08-23, 01:18 AM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 2644 Post(s)
Liked 474 Times in 344 Posts
A carbon seatpost breaking can leave a razor sharp spear to get impaled on, I went to a bike shop with a similar worry and the owner told me a horror story about a guy he knew. I tuned out the injury but it was horrible, perforated his anus or stomach and needed surgery. Your ears are your friend and I think you should trust them, and they told you something was wrong.

as for who is responsible/can you get your money back? Honestly I don’t think it really matters, you’re safe and it’s not really anyone’s fault. That said you probably have a case and if it’s a big store you’re justified imo.
Old 02-08-23, 10:32 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3340 Post(s)
Liked 3,437 Times in 1,738 Posts
Originally Posted by LarrySellerz
A carbon seatpost breaking can leave a razor sharp spear to get impaled on
As can an aluminum post. I've seen it happen in real time.

A surface scratch in aluminum is worse than in carbon, as the scratch in alumimun is a stress riser that can lead to a crack forming.

As long as a surface scratch does not break any carbon fibers, the strength of a carbon post is not affected.

Old 02-09-23, 11:45 PM
LV2TNDM

Bikes: Cannondale tandems: '92 Road, '97 Mtn. Mongoose 10.9 Ti, Kelly Deluxe, Tommaso Chorus, Cdale MT2000, Schwinn Deluxe Cruiser, Torker Unicycle, among others.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 201 Times in 127 Posts
If you pay attention to almost ANY production metal frame, you'll find all manner of issues at the seat collar. I have yet to find one with nice smooth, rounded edges at the clamping slot and on the top edge. And no bike shop building 100's of bikes a month will flex-hone a seat tube. Most shops don't even have a flex hone on the tool board.

So anyone using a carbon seat post would behoove themselves to take a really close look at their frame's seat tube clamping area. Spend some time with small files to round the edges of the slot and its rounded bottom, the top edge of the tube, as well as flex-hone the inside of the tube. Then use quality sandpaper like silicon carbide to finish the edges. (If there are any burs, then remove them manually BEFORE flex-honing, as this process doesn't actually remove offending burs, etc., it will just "smooth" them.) If you think anyone took the time to do this on your bike, you're sorely mistaken. I've done this to most of my bikes out of habit. I just like knowing there aren't sharp metal edges digging into my seat post as I clamp it and ride, regardless of seat post material.

Last edited by LV2TNDM; 02-10-23 at 12:55 AM.
Likes For LV2TNDM:
Old 02-10-23, 10:41 AM
bertinjim 

Bikes: 1970s Alex Singer, 1960s Peugeot PX 10, 1960s Bertin C37, 1973 Carre Bertin C 37, 1970s Carlton Kermesse, 1982 Peugeot PB 12

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked 262 Times in 154 Posts
fredlord-

LV2TNDM is correct. Any metal frame will have a non-round seat tube. The welding or brazing leads to an out of round condition due to heat distortion and typical manufacturing does not address this. Every metal framed bike should have the seat lug opening reamed, de-burred, radiused and honed. That will prevent marring or stress riser notching of the post and will allow for uniform and the minimum clamping force necessary on the post.
Likes For bertinjim:
Old 02-10-23, 12:24 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3340 Post(s)
Liked 3,437 Times in 1,738 Posts
Originally Posted by bertinjim
Any metal frame will have a non-round seat tube. The welding or brazing leads to an out of round condition due to heat distortion and typical manufacturing does not address this. Every metal framed bike should have the seat lug opening reamed, de-burred, radiused and honed. That will prevent marring or stress riser notching of the post and will allow for uniform and the minimum clamping force necessary on the post.
I'm just guessing that amount of seat tube machining and preparation is a very rare thing. And, for the most part, not necessary.

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 02-10-23, 08:59 PM
bertinjim 

Bikes: 1970s Alex Singer, 1960s Peugeot PX 10, 1960s Bertin C37, 1973 Carre Bertin C 37, 1970s Carlton Kermesse, 1982 Peugeot PB 12

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked 262 Times in 154 Posts
terrymorse-

For the most part, it is necessary. If you look at alloy seatposts, almost all spot zigzag lines or gouges from the lug ears or edges. You are correct that "...seat tube machining and preparation is a very rare thing", unfortunately.