Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

What do you miss most about being on the other side of 50?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

What do you miss most about being on the other side of 50?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-23, 04:02 PM
teejaywhy

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 69 Posts
"Of all the things I've lost in life, I miss my mind the most."
Likes For teejaywhy:
Old 04-19-23, 04:07 PM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1946 Post(s)
Liked 2,008 Times in 1,107 Posts
I miss the huge discount I once applied to a trip to the hospital. I'm more risk averse these days and I tell myself that I don't want to put my wife through that but maybe I don't want to put myself through it.
Old 04-19-23, 10:03 PM
Squeeze
High Plains Luddite

Bikes: 3x8 & 3x9

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 54 Posts
My parents.

The spontaneity to just go do stuff, without having to plan and pack and bring sunscreen and think about what the kids (we have two in high school) need also.

Oddly, and this just popped into my mind while writing this, Sears stores. Seems like every time I need something, I think, "well, I'd go to Sears for that, if they were still around..."
Old 04-20-23, 12:35 AM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4376 Post(s)
Liked 3,013 Times in 1,863 Posts
Originally Posted by CAT7RDR
I miss when obsolescence was not built into products.
You must be very old indeed. Planned obsolescence was invented by General Motors in the 1920s.
Likes For MinnMan:
Old 04-20-23, 02:32 AM
Riteway

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Stamina…

I’m 65.. I miss not riding as long as I once did!!
Likes For Riteway:
Old 04-20-23, 07:43 AM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked 1,960 Times in 943 Posts
Originally Posted by MinnMan
You must be very old indeed. Planned obsolescence was invented by General Motors in the 1920s.
I was thinking more in the area of modern appliances and electronics.
Anything with mostly plastic parts, a motherboard and digitalized will not last more than a few years without something breaking.
Seems I'm always looking at youtube videos by handyman types repairing newer appliances when my 30 y/o refrigerator in the garage has never had a service or replacement part installed.
Old 04-20-23, 09:00 AM
Lambkin55

Bikes: 1990 Schwinn Curcit is my main bike

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 35 Posts
-- 24 hour recovery time.
--Riding with the Saturday morning club rides.
--Smoking the new guy wearing $300 worth of bike clothing.
--Touring with my wife in the boonies
--Our tandem.
--Being the "go to guy" for bike repair.
--Riding in the winter in below freezing days.
--Never worrying about "going down". (Now a broken hip scares me silly!)
--I mess some of my old bike mentors that have passed. (Don E. Harold M. Ernie S, and Scot C. you guys are still with me, when I ride.)

Old 04-20-23, 09:10 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,243 Times in 621 Posts
Originally Posted by AJW2W11E
I don't mind the loss of muscle mass. Kind of miss smiles from pretty girls, but that's not a show stopper. I can do without sprinting...when I was 45 , I beat my neighbor's kid in a 40 yard dash.What I really miss is the ability to function on 5 or less hours of sleep. Seems like even 8 isn't enough, if you're exercising everyday.Saturday is sleep recovery day for me now. Before it was family day or shopping day. Now, all I do is sleep or nap.Can't wait to retire! Or not? A lot of my friends and social network are through work.​​​​​​​
Your Older Brain Needs the Extra Rest Time.
I am now 81 y/o
​​​​​​​

Old 04-20-23, 09:30 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3422 Post(s)
Liked 3,559 Times in 1,789 Posts
Originally Posted by MinnMan
The General Motors version of planned obsolescence was mostly cosmetic stuff, making your 5 year old car look old and shabby. But you could still get spark plugs and timing belts for it.

Contrast that with the bike industry's planned obsolescence, where they simply stop making replacement parts required to keep your bike functioning.

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 04-20-23, 09:13 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2577 Post(s)
Liked 5,625 Times in 2,914 Posts
I miss the group rides where we would smash 60-80 miles at 20+ MPH on Saturday and go out and do it again Sunday. Also miss doing centuries. After a hard 60 by myself these days I am ready to wrap it up. Then there is getting up multiple times a night when i try to rehydrate like crazy after a ride - and more susceptibility to leg cramps.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 04-21-23, 10:04 AM
margoC

Bikes: Caloi MTB, Raleigh heritage international

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
Everything. Why lie? My health took a nose dive right around age 50, with chronic pain from injuries after being hit by cars twice in less than 20 years, so it's hard to find anything good about aging.

The only advantage I've found to being older is maybe a little more patience. But that's due more to a lack of energy. I was usually pretty low key and patient before.

I used to be great physical shape until 50. I went downhill all at once, probably in the span of a month. It was like all those bike wrecks I thought I healed from came back. Two locked up knees and a frozen shoulder

After that I had an operation once a year to fix a joint. Eventually got a store bought knee.

It's like after a few years of inactivity and all the surgery I deconditioned or something. It was a very depressing time.

But I fought my way back! . Not all the way back to the way I was but a lot better than the way I had gotten. I've had to lower my expectations. I carefully watch my diet. I do what I can that doesn't aggravate a joint, a lot of walking, some yard work, and riding my cruising frankenbikes around the neighborhood. I did 14 miles today which is the most in a while.

I retired a few years ago which was an adjustment, mostly just walked the dogs and hiked, which I enjoy. But recently I dusted off the bikes, it will be too hot for the pups, and I'm breaking my butt back in.

Friends and acquaintances have gotten older, a few died. Some have let themselves get into terrible shape, they don't walk at all. I do a lot alone because even though it's not unreasonable, it's too much for my friends and neighbors.

But to answer the question more concisely, I miss my cartilage the most.
Likes For margoC:
Old 04-21-23, 03:04 PM
Fredo76
The Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: 1976 Fredo Speciale, Jamis Citizen 1, Ellis-Briggs FAVORI, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked 910 Times in 445 Posts
I miss my youth, strength, and relative health, of course.

But the thing I miss the most is the country that I grew up in.
Likes For Fredo76:
Old 04-21-23, 03:20 PM
Zara Sp00k

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
I don't miss the 40 pounds I've lost since retiring

all that restaurant food, free soda, and donuts while working took its toll
since retiring eating better, biking, hiking, paddling, ... basically seldom sit on my butt (bikes, canoe, kayaks excepted)
Likes For Zara Sp00k:
Old 04-22-23, 12:37 AM
AJW2W11E

Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 110 Times in 50 Posts
Remember that movie with Brad Pitt where he aged in reverse? Can't remember the name.We should be born at age 80 and then after all the stress, tears, hard work, tragedy, lost friends and frustration, proceed towards 70, 60, 50, 40, 30 reclaiming friends and watching our tears retreat back into our eyes, our nightmares turning into glee, and then as a reward, re experience the crazy, carefree, euphoric fearlessness of youth. Of course we also have to do our 20 miles daily on a tricycle, which would take --oops maybe I didn't think this out.

Last edited by AJW2W11E; 04-22-23 at 12:42 AM.
Likes For AJW2W11E:
Old 05-20-23, 08:25 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3658 Post(s)
Liked 5,403 Times in 2,744 Posts
Originally Posted by teejaywhy
"Of all the things I've lost in life, I miss my mind the most."
Yep.
Old 05-24-23, 10:53 AM
DirePenguin

Bikes: 2014 Trek 8.3 DS, 2022 Trek Domane SL5

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 26 Posts
I’m turning 55 this August and the thing I miss most about being younger is the quicker healing process.

In Nov. ‘21, I was hit broadside by a careless driver making a left turn across traffic. I’m lucky to be alive. My injuries were extensive; concussion, broken shoulder, broken ribs, broken ankle and four fractured vertebrae along with extensive bruising down my right leg from butt to calf.

Before the accident I was in probably the best shape of my life; riding daily, running 5Ks and 10Ks occasionally and getting in some regular strength training, too.

But, here it is 19 months later and I’m still recovering. Already being in great shape (and, months of PT) helped a lot get to where I am, but I’m just recently starting to hit average speeds I was able to do before the accident. And, I just completed my first 10K run since the accident; it was harder than I remember!
Likes For DirePenguin:
Old 05-26-23, 10:27 AM
mrodgers

Bikes: 2014 Giant Escape 1

Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb
Every time I have to get down on the ground or the floor it seems so far away. And getting up is almost as hard. What happened to my flexibility??
Our safety guy at work always mentioning "bend at the knees" to pick something up. So I ask him how? And I crouch down to the floor to pick something up, put that something back down, grab something and pull myself up, then look at what I wanted to pick up still down on the ground, "So, how do I do this?"

This isn't getting old though. It's I've never been able to do that, bad knees runs in the family. Nor have I ever been able to bend down and touch my toes. I have to bend the knees a bit just to be able to touch my knees. Even in grade school phys ed class when we were instructed to sit and reach to touch our toes, my body wasn't capable of bending at the waist to 90° and the teacher would hurt me as they walked through and pushed on my back, "Bend and touch your toes." Ouch, it's impossible for me to do.
Old 05-26-23, 10:35 AM
mrodgers

Bikes: 2014 Giant Escape 1

Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 20 Posts
OP mentions not being able to function on 5 hours sleep. I can't sleep any longer than 6 hours. Never could. I wake up and it's impossible to go back to sleep after 6.

I miss being able to stay up later. It's fine during the week, 10:30-11 pm I'm heading to bed and up at 5 to get ready for work. Friday nights however, I use to stay up until 1am so I could wake at 7ish. I'm finding that I can't survive a 24 hour day any more because 18 hours is too long to be awake these days. I need a 22 hour day so after 16 hours when I'm tired and falling asleep, I can do so and get up when I need to 6 hours later. Friday nights now I struggle as I don't want to be waking up at 5 am when I don't have to go to work. But the eyelid muscles don't seem to work very well after about 9 pm any more.

A while back, but I was watching a new show and the scene was in a basement playing cards. Had one of those moments where your head nods momentarily and you jerk yourself back awake. Like seconds later. Then I looked and was confused about the scene and the characters on the show I was watching until I checked. During that second or two of nodding my head and catching myself falling asleep, 6 episodes of the show had lapsed
Old 07-09-23, 08:29 AM
BlueMeldon82
TimeServedPedaller

Bikes: Diamondback MB, Bianchi via nirone, Viking Fixie, Raleigh Nova, Viscount Aerospace, Dawes Kingpin, Ridgeback Stowaway, Dawes Tandem, Meldon hand-built tourer,

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Shorter times and simpler times...

I miss shorter recovery times, as I can easily collapse for a nap after exercise of late.
I miss bike shops with experienced staff able to fix and repair, not pressuring you into replacement !
I also miss club runs and the variety of characters they attracted.
At 59 I still enjoy cycling for its own sake, for freedom / being "awheel" and a son who gets that.

Last edited by BlueMeldon82; 07-09-23 at 08:30 AM. Reason: Typo
Likes For BlueMeldon82:
Old 07-09-23, 06:26 PM
SpedFast
Just Pedaling

Bikes: YEP!

Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 519 Times in 346 Posts
Originally Posted by BlueMeldon82
I miss shorter recovery times, as I can easily collapse for a nap after exercise of late.
I miss bike shops with experienced staff able to fix and repair, not pressuring you into replacement !
I also miss club runs and the variety of characters they attracted.
At 59 I still enjoy cycling for its own sake, for freedom / being "awheel" and a son who gets that.
Welcome--