Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Dillema about buying a Racing Bike vs Aging

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-23, 11:41 PM
AJW2W11E

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 110 Times in 50 Posts

I ride a 2016 Giant Defy and I'm a young 60er. I saw a 2019 Specialized Allez which has a more aggressive geometry. I'm thinking of buying her, but I'm trying to be realistic. I didn't starting bicycling until the pandemic, and every year I've gotten faster. I can still hold my own on the bike trail.There isn't a mom with a baby carriage that has ever passed me.​​​​​​​This past year I may have peaked. I'm down from four really long rides at a robust speed a week to three. I may have one more year of being able to outrun a dog walker with a 7 leashes.​​​​​​​What started this interest was I wanted a 15 pound Carbon Fiber bike, but with my Frugalian nature ,I couldn't justify it.Part of me says you only stay young by thinking young. Buy it! The other side of me says I'm avoiding reality , and that the Allez will turn me into a candidate for spinal fusion.​​​​​​​Do all people in our age group think like this when they buy a bike?
Old 04-21-23, 12:54 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1349 Post(s)
Liked 1,243 Times in 621 Posts
Buy It.

Got this for my 70th BD

Old 04-21-23, 01:05 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Old 04-21-23, 01:26 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bought This First just for the Indy 500 Mile Track Rides.

Likes For 10 Wheels:
Old 04-21-23, 05:14 AM
Jeff Neese

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1081 Post(s)
Liked 681 Times in 438 Posts
By "more aggressive geometry" do you mean the handlebars are lower? I'm 67 and still ride drop bars, but I do like them higher now, roughly about level with the saddle. What is your concern?
Likes For Jeff Neese:
Old 04-21-23, 05:21 AM
Kai Winters

Bikes: Specialized Aethos, Specialized Diverge Comp E5

Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked 451 Times in 263 Posts
I'm 67 and ride a 'slammed' Aethos...perfectly comfortable and I still make the 'kids' work hard.
Ride/buy what puts the biggest smile on your face. When you're 'pushing up daisies' it will be far too late and regrets won't matter.
Likes For Kai Winters:
Old 04-21-23, 05:33 AM
RB1-luvr
I don't know.

Bikes: '90 B'stone RB-1, '92 B'stone RB-2, '89 SuperGo Access Comp, '03 Access 69er, '23 Trek 520, '14 Ritchey Road Logic, '09 Kestrel Evoke, '08 Windsor Tourist, '17 Surly Wednesday, '89 Centurion Accordo, '15 CruX, '17 Ridley X-Night, '89 Marinoni

Quoted: 315 Post(s)
Liked 850 Times in 444 Posts
I say get it while you still got it.
Likes For RB1-luvr:
Old 04-21-23, 06:30 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,280 Times in 740 Posts
I will be 77 in June. I've had C1 & C2 fused thanks to a crash in 2013. I'm still riding aggressive (?) road bikes. My "go to" bikes are a GURU Photon and a CAAD 12. It really isn't about your age. It's about how you feel. I wouldn't anticipate any infirmities. I'd just ride what feels right. When your riding days come to an end I don't think you want to be thinking that you never did what felt passionate but you made a "wise" decision. But, that's just me.
Likes For bruce19:
Old 04-21-23, 06:49 AM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 815 Post(s)
Liked 1,647 Times in 776 Posts
(Your brain) "That super light, race geometry bike will certainly make you faster!"
(Your body) "No, not really."
(Your brain) "But think how fast you'll look riding it!"
(Your body) "Think about waking up the next morning, and feeling like someone was beating you with a ball peen hammer all night."
(Your brain) "But I really want it, and can afford it!"
(Your body) "Well, you make the decisions here. Go ahead. If you regret your decision, just remember I told you so."

I recently went from a 'race geometry' bike to an 'endurance geometry' bike. My average speed dropped about 0.1 MPH. A riding lawn mower engine in a Ferrari won't be much faster than the same engine in a Toyota. I do find I can ride further now, because I'm more comfortable. Just my $0.02
Likes For Bald Paul:
Old 04-21-23, 07:43 AM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1391 Post(s)
Liked 1,852 Times in 1,066 Posts
it should be as much (or more ?) about the type of riding you plan to do - as much as your age

skinny tire road bikes probably not an ideal option for multi purpose bike paths (if that’s what you are riding)

I rode the roads for years with guys in their 70’s - all with road bikes

but we used converted MTB’s and hybrids (etc) when were rode bike paths and similar

and good to see you are keeping the mothers with baby carriages in the rear view mirror ... but watch out for the ones on E bikes - they can be a challenge !
Old 04-21-23, 08:00 AM
WT21

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by AJW2W11E
I ride a 2016 Giant Defy and I'm a young 60er. I saw a 2019 Specialized Allez which has a more aggressive geometry. I'm thinking of buying her, but I'm trying to be realistic. I didn't starting bicycling until the pandemic, and every year I've gotten faster. I can still hold my own on the bike trail.There isn't a mom with a baby carriage that has ever passed me.This past year I may have peaked. I'm down from four really long rides at a robust speed a week to three. I may have one more year of being able to outrun a dog walker with a 7 leashes.What started this interest was I wanted a 15 pound Carbon Fiber bike, but with my Frugalian nature ,I couldn't justify it.Part of me says you only stay young by thinking young. Buy it! The other side of me says I'm avoiding reality , and that the Allez will turn me into a candidate for spinal fusion.​​​​​​​Do all people in our age group think like this when they buy a bike?
On the fence with this myself. One thought - I may go endurance because of some crappy pavement around here. I'm not going to race in real life, but I find Zwift racing to be a good outlet for going all-out -- Crashing is less an issue there -- and then use the endurance bike for the longer morning and zone 2 rides. Wind in your hair is pretty addicting, but as others point out, it's not a huge drop in speed from race to endurance in terms of speed. Aero is more the question maybe - what position do you like?
Old 04-21-23, 08:13 AM
smontanaro 

Bikes: many

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 1441 Post(s)
Liked 1,386 Times in 758 Posts
I built a frame in Doug Fattic's framebuilding class last year. It goes out for paint in a couple weeks. We went back and forth about how aggressive to make the positioning. Doug said (paraphrasing), "I want you to be able to still ride this in ten years." (I'm 69.) I eventually relented, going with his admonition to add a bit extra to the head tube and steerer. I figured if I didn't like it I could always cut those extra chunks off, and if someone buys the bike from my estate, they could do the same. The only concession to my more gentelmanly setup is the 72º angles. I imagine the calculus is a bit different for a custom frame than for a production model.

Here's a pic of the front end. It looks a bit different now, a Paul Funky Monkey and actual aluminum spacer having replaced the bits in the photo.

Old 04-21-23, 08:34 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2223 Post(s)
Liked 3,407 Times in 1,779 Posts
I haven't read all of the responses, so apologies to other posters if this is redundant. My advice is this:

(1) Buy the bike that will compel you to do the most riding. That in turn will help prevent some of the aging symptoms.

(2) Pay for a highly competent bike fit, and choose the bike that fits you ideally now, with zero compromises. If it allows more spacers or whatever, that is great, but you can always sell the bike if you shrink 2" overnight.

(3) You owe no one an explanation or apology for riding a bicycle that is "better" than your abilities.
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 04-21-23, 08:38 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1250 Post(s)
Liked 753 Times in 560 Posts
Buy whatever you most enjoy riding. No reason that can't be a racing bike if that is what makes you happy. It doesn't have to be your only bike if you also want something more laid back.
Likes For staehpj1:
Old 04-21-23, 08:56 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6177 Post(s)
Liked 4,795 Times in 3,307 Posts
"Racing" is really a bad term to use describing a bike. If you look at the people doing professional road races, tours and grand tours, you'll see some road bikes with higher stack heights that advertisers choose to call a endurance bike and some with lower stack heights that get called a race bike. Although both bike geometries are in a race that usually involves 120 to 140 miles a day and frequently for 6 to 21 days of racing.

Buy the bike for the fit you prefer to have. If you don't know whether you might prefer a aggressive fit with a lot of bar drop from saddle to hoods or drops, then you'll just have to take a chance or keep the status quo.

But whatever you do, don't buy a bike with a low stack made for an aggressive fit for it great look and appealing aesthetics and then dork it up with weirdly angled stems and extenders to get the bars up where you might prefer them if a aggressive fit isn't for you.... unless of course you enjoy being known by others for that "eclectic" look.

Last edited by Iride01; 04-21-23 at 09:02 AM.
Old 04-21-23, 10:24 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3897 Post(s)
Liked 4,828 Times in 2,228 Posts
If not now, when?
I have never regretted a purchase that got me outside exercising.
You are only 60 once, get ready for 70, 80 and beyond.

72 yo. Last year's purchase =

this is the newest in a nice group of road bikes. Not only is life good, it is tons of fun.

But to be honest, Italian bikes deliver more smiles....just sayin

....and classic smiles, to boot.

Last edited by Wildwood; 04-21-23 at 10:32 AM.
Likes For Wildwood:
Old 04-21-23, 11:38 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,529 Times in 1,042 Posts
I ride a 2016 Giant Defy and I'm a young 60er. I saw a 2019 Specialized Allez which has a more aggressive geometry. I'm thinking of buying her, but I'm trying to be realistic. I didn't starting bicycling until the pandemic, and every year I've gotten faster. I can still hold my own on the bike trail.There isn't a mom with a baby carriage that has ever passed me.​​​​​​​This past year I may have peaked. I'm down from four really long rides at a robust speed a week to three. I may have one more year of being able to outrun a dog walker with a 7 leashes.​​​​​​​What started this interest was I wanted a 15 pound Carbon Fiber bike, but with my Frugalian nature ,I couldn't justify it.Part of me says you only stay young by thinking young. Buy it! The other side of me says I'm avoiding reality , and that the Allez will turn me into a candidate for spinal fusion.​​​​​​​Do all people in our age group think like this when they buy a bike?
IMO the only cyclists of any age who have this "dillema" are those concerned with "holding their own on the bike trail" with strangers, and would ask strangers to solve this personal choice "dillema" for them.
Old 04-21-23, 11:41 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4791 Post(s)
Liked 3,918 Times in 2,548 Posts

What's the dilemma? You are going to age. No dilemma there. So you simply have the choice; do you go into that advanced age wishing you bought that racing bike or do you simply buy it and ride it?

On a thread going around now is a painting of an old man climbing a mountain road on a race bike. Caption to the effect of "you're not old until you stop riding". (Worded much better but it was the first thread I opened pre-coffee.)

'Bout to turn 70. Bought a Pro Miyata set up with sewups. Like the bike I raced in the '70s only better. My plan is to ride it for the week long Cycle Oregon in September.
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 04-21-23, 12:26 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
I ride a 2016 Giant Defy and I'm a young 60er. I saw a 2019 Specialized Allez which has a more aggressive geometry. I'm thinking of buying her, but I'm trying to be realistic. I didn't starting bicycling until the pandemic, and every year I've gotten faster. I can still hold my own on the bike trail.There isn't a mom with a baby carriage that has ever passed me.This past year I may have peaked. I'm down from four really long rides at a robust speed a week to three. I may have one more year of being able to outrun a dog walker with a 7 leashes.​​​​​​​What started this interest was I wanted a 15 pound Carbon Fiber bike, but with my Frugalian nature ,I couldn't justify it.Part of me says you only stay young by thinking young. Buy it! The other side of me says I'm avoiding reality , and that the Allez will turn me into a candidate for spinal fusion.​​​​​​​Do all people in our age group think like this when they buy a bike?
If you're thinking about getting an Allez, you might as well get a Tarmac. (I have a 2016 Tarmac that I love. If I could find a newer NOS rim brake frame, I'd get that in a heartbeat.)
Old 04-21-23, 12:37 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1480 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
I think somebody has a bad case of mid-life crisis.

I don't race on my bike. I get passed by a lot of people. I also pass people. I can still climb long distances and I'm still taking falls. People have told me to get a better bike. But I like riding the same 10-speed I bought when I was 17.

I'm retired and this is what I do.
Old 04-21-23, 01:27 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
My old training partner, who’s the same age as I am and still one of the fastest riders I know of any age, just bought a new Cervelo S5. He admits to a midlife crisis but said he doesn’t want a sports car or a boat or a 25-year old girlfriend. So he got a hot bike with the works. There are worse things you could spend your money on.
Likes For caloso:
Old 04-21-23, 10:04 PM
AJW2W11E

Originally Posted by Jeff Neese
By "more aggressive geometry" do you mean the handlebars are lower? I'm 67 and still ride drop bars, but I do like them higher now, roughly about level with the saddle. What is your concern?
I cheat a little and raise my saddle a bit too high to get better times. It gives me a sore back sometimes. You can do that with a Giant Defy. I probably won't do that with the Allez.
Old 04-21-23, 10:07 PM
AJW2W11E

Originally Posted by Jeff Neese
I cheat a little and raise my saddle a bit too high to get better times. It gives me a sore back sometimes. You can do that with a Giant Defy. I probably won't do that with the Allez.
Old 04-21-23, 11:12 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18351 Post(s)
Liked 4,502 Times in 3,346 Posts
I'm in my mid 50's. I still like my road bikes, but find myself not spending as much time in the drops as I did when I was in high school.

I did like the upgrade to a 20+ year old carbon fiber frame.

A couple of years ago I met an older gentleman that lived at the top of a very steep driveway. He got the lightest road bike he could get with really low gears. Put it in low gear, and up he went.

As my father got older, he still liked his steel road bike, but had upright mustache bars put on it. New brakes, but kept the downtube shifters.
Old 04-22-23, 12:17 AM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3869 Post(s)
Liked 6,458 Times in 3,193 Posts
Originally Posted by Wildwood
Have I seen this one? Have you been hiding this one? Beautiful.

With racing bikes and aging, I've finally realized I need to ride a bigger frame in my range. Preparing the 55cm for sale. Replaced it this past week with this 57/58cm:

Likes For SurferRosa:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.