Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

🤔 Do I actually need to carry a repair kit? 🤔

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

🤔 Do I actually need to carry a repair kit? 🤔

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-20, 04:37 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by Phil_gretz
Can you please say your age and where (generally) you live?
16 years old and living in moms basement.
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 10-26-20, 09:05 PM
frogman

Bikes: Wife says I have too many :-)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 250 Times in 158 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
I pay for roadside assistance, it's literally their job. Not the same thing as calling a friend. I don't think paying the LBS to do maintenance I could teach myself to do is imposing on someone, either.

Yes but we are talking about bicycles ! Do you have a roadside assistance plan for bicycles too ?
Old 10-27-20, 04:02 AM
hipslo

Bikes: Cannondale Quick 3 (2020), Trek 720 Multitrack (1993)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by frogman
Yes but we are talking about bicycles ! Do you have a roadside assistance plan for bicycles too ?
Where I live, my AAA plan does cover bicycles as well. I believe its a recent change.

I have been riding off and on, casually, for decades, and have never had a flat. Started to get more serious about riding a few months ago and have done about 500 miles the past two months, Still no flat. Maybe just lucky. I'm sure my luck will eventually run out.

I don't carry a repair kit. I do carry a spare cell phone battery, cash, and snacks.

My rides tend to be long-ish loops (35 to 50 miles or so), though I am never all that far from home. Where i live the riding "feels" quite remote, while never being all that far from civilization.

If I were to get a flat, my first call would be to my wife. While she might be somewhat annoyed, that works both ways for us and is part of the deal. Unless it became routine/ frequent, it would not be an issue.

At some point I will certainly get a flat. When I get my second flat, at that point I'll likely start thinking about learning how to repair/ change a tire. Or sooner, if I start riding farther from home in more remote areas.

I agree that routinely relying on friends to bail you out is inconsiderate and not the way to go.

Bottom line, I think everyone's situation is different, and one size does not fit all.
Old 10-27-20, 04:05 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by frogman

No, which is why I carry the tubes, levers and pump. So I don't have to call someone who isn't doing roadside assistance for a living.

I didn't bring up roadside assistance, someone else tried to say it's the same thing as phoning a friend. It very obviously isn't. Seriously, was that really that hard for you to follow or do you need to scratch your head because you have dandruff?
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 10-27-20, 06:43 AM
wilson_smyth

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 20 Posts
My kit for cycling:

- Multitool (includes chain tool)
- Spare tube
- Levers
- self adhesive patches (its a tiny pack)
- single chain link
- tiny pump

All fits easily in a small topeak saddlebag, including the pump, with room to spare for keys, glasses and a small snack.
I hope i dont have to use it but glad of it when i do.

My mum showed me how to fix punctures @ about 9 years old with a couple of spoons as levers.
I would need to be in serious trouble before calling for help.
Old 10-27-20, 07:33 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
My underseat bag contains:
  • Spare tube
  • Patch kit, containing patches, glue, rough emery paper for buffing the tube, small car tire patches to use as boots, and extra presta nuts. Gravel bike kit contains extra Schrader valve cores. Don't want to lose one way out in the boonies.
  • Chain breaker & quick links
  • Multitool
  • Zip ties for emergency repairs
  • Small bottle of hand sanitizer and folded up paper towels (actually carried this pre-Covid)
Then each bike has its own air pump mounted on the frame. Any breakdown worse than a flat tire or broken chain I'll probably have to call for help, but I'm covered for the most common problems.
Likes For Milton Keynes:
Old 10-27-20, 07:54 AM
wilson_smyth

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Milton Keynes
  • Zip ties for emergency repairs.
Great idea, very useful item for virtually no additional weight.
Just added some to the pack.
Likes For wilson_smyth:
Old 10-27-20, 07:55 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Originally Posted by MaxMeyer
I always have a bag with a minimum number of keys on the frame to repair my bike. Although I have a very good bike, it is quite expensive, but it is a technique that tends to break.
What breaks?

I have a rather expensive bike and never had a mechanical issue other than a flats. Sounds more like a lack of maintenance issue.
Likes For GlennR:
Old 10-27-20, 10:37 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,492 Times in 7,316 Posts
Originally Posted by GlennR
What breaks?.
I’m trying to figure out what truly broken parts one can fix with allen keys. Tighten some that come loose, sure. But something broken unless you’re carrying spare parts?
Old 10-27-20, 10:45 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
I’m trying to figure out what truly broken parts one can fix with allen keys. Tighten some that come loose, sure. But something broken unless you’re carrying spare parts?
You can tighten things like seatpost, bars, stem, cables. You can also do a temp fix on a rear derailleur. But if a part breaks in 2 then make sure you have the Uber app on your smartphone.
Likes For GlennR:
Old 10-27-20, 11:34 AM
John Valuk

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 168 Times in 109 Posts
If I get a flat while out riding, the first thing I do is find a moth, then ask it to go fetch a giant eagle.

Then I get out my kit and either patch or replace the tube. In case, like, the eagle's too busy to come right then.
Likes For John Valuk:
Old 10-27-20, 04:26 PM
frogman

Bikes: Wife says I have too many :-)

Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 250 Times in 158 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
No, which is why I carry the tubes, levers and pump. So I don't have to call someone who isn't doing roadside assistance for a living.

I didn't bring up roadside assistance, someone else tried to say it's the same thing as phoning a friend. It very obviously isn't. Seriously, was that really that hard for you to follow or do you need to scratch your head because you have dandruff?

My mistake, my humblest apology That isn't dandruff in my hair, I am turning gray
Old 10-27-20, 06:41 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Exectutive Summary:

1. If you ride your bicycle enough, you will almost surely at some time experience a puncture.
2. The "A" solution is to have the skill and carry the appropriate supplies to repair it yourself.
3. The "B" solution is to at least carry the supplies necessary for somebody else to be able to fix it for you.
4. The "C" solution is to call for help from some source. Several posters, however, equated the C option to be a sign of weak character.
Old 10-27-20, 07:31 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7648 Post(s)
Liked 3,465 Times in 1,831 Posts
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
Exectutive Summary:

1. If you ride your bicycle enough, you will almost surely at some time experience a puncture.
2. The "A" solution is to have the skill and carry the appropriate supplies to repair it yourself.
3. The "B" solution is to at least carry the supplies necessary for somebody else to be able to fix it for you.
4. The "C" solution is to call for help from some source. Several posters, however, equated the C option to be a sign of weak character.
Not accurate.
A and B are pretty clear.

C is actually, "Pay someone to come rescue you."

D is "Call your mommy because you refuse to take personal responsibility."

Whatever you choose is you .....
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 10-27-20, 07:44 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
Not accurate.
A and B are pretty clear.

C is actually, "Pay someone to come rescue you."

D is "Call your mommy because you refuse to take personal responsibility."

Whatever you choose is you .....
Nope. My summary was perfectly accurate. Your D comment was objectively covered in the second sentence of "C".
Old 10-27-20, 07:56 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2566 Post(s)
Liked 5,597 Times in 2,905 Posts
Exectutive Summary:

Regarding C, There are those here which are unnecessarily judgmental. Don’t know why they feel compelled to act that way since shaming has never helped anyone. My advice is to ignore them.

If you are are not comfortable changing a tire, watch a few YouTube videos and practice it a few times at home. On the road is not the place to find out you are missing something or need more practice. “GCN” has a ton of videos on all things cycling from elementary to advanced, plus they don’t take themselves too seriously. Search on GCN tire changing

Good luck!

Old 10-27-20, 08:43 PM
taylorgeo

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by GlennR
If it's your second flat and you only carry on tube.

My multitool is made by "Pro" which is a Shimano brand.
Picked up the "Pro" multi-tool. Thanks for the rec.
Old 10-27-20, 10:52 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7648 Post(s)
Liked 3,465 Times in 1,831 Posts
Nope. My summary was perfectly accurate. Your D comment was objectively covered in the second sentence of "C".
Totally inaccurate, because the second sentence of "C" only applies to half the cases .... Several posters did Not equate calling for help as a sign of moral failure .... only the subset of "C" wherein people were not willing to compensate their rescuers.
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 10-28-20, 05:50 AM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
Totally inaccurate, because the second sentence of "C" only applies to half the cases .... Several posters did Not equate calling for help as a sign of moral failure .... only the subset of "C" wherein people were not willing to compensate their rescuers.
Yeah?
Multiple people specifically stated that they were not willing to compensate their rescuers?
I missed that. But it is an 8 page thread so maybe I didn’t follow it closely enough and you could point out those multiple people?
Old 10-28-20, 06:28 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Originally Posted by hipslo
while i am somewhat embarrassed to admit it, i don't have the skills to change a flat tire on my car, and I drive about 15k miles per year. how is this different in any material way? Especially now that AAA will pick up a cyclist with a flat and transport the cyclist and the bike back home (within a reasonable distance).
My (then) 25 year old daughter changed a flat on a friend's car while on a girls road trip. I had never taught her this, but she had watched me do many mechanical things over the years. She told me later (proudly) that she felt that she had to be the one to step up, so they got the manual from the glove box, and followed the instructions.

My advice to you is to gain the skills and personal fortitude to change your own flat. Do it for practice when you're not under pressure, not in the dark and not dangerously close to passing traffic. Learn what you must about properly jacking up your car. Don't live your life passively...
Likes For Phil_gretz:
Old 10-28-20, 06:50 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3654 Post(s)
Liked 5,392 Times in 2,737 Posts
Retro Grouch has a good summary but I agree with Maelochs that it needs to be four categories. Paying AAA, uber or a cab is entirely different from calling Mom, Sis or some random "friend" to rescue you from your own slacker-ness. I say this having made the call of shame to my wife twice. Once because of heat exhaustion and leg cramps, the other when my freehub froze. Another ride ended in a crash and ambulance trip but I didn't make that call. Apparently there is a continuum of personal responsibility and no agreement as to when we evolve from dependent child to adult. If even a semester of ethics was taught in our high schools we would all benefit, IMO.
Old 10-28-20, 06:53 AM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
My (then) 25 year old daughter changed a flat on a friend's car while on a girls road trip. I had never taught her this, but she had watched me do many mechanical things over the years. She told me later (proudly) that she felt that she had to be the one to step up, so they got the manual from the glove box, and followed the instructions.

My advice to you is to gain the skills and personal fortitude to change your own flat. Do it for practice when you're not under pressure, not in the dark and not dangerously close to passing traffic. Learn what you must about properly jacking up your car. Don't live your life passively...
My mailman has a cousin with a 14 year old daughter who juggles running chainsaws while taking the lane on a unicycle on the Santa Monica Freeway at rush hour.
Makes you and your daughter look extremely passive by comparison
Old 10-28-20, 06:56 AM
rustystrings61 

Bikes: 2002 Mercian Vincitore, 1982 Mercian Colorado, 1976 Puch Royal X, 1973 Raleigh Competition, 1971 Gitane Tour de France and others

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 823 Post(s)
Liked 1,394 Times in 694 Posts
If I was the OP's friend, with or without having been called to come deal with a roadside puncture, I would probably slip him a copy of Cuthbertson's Anybody's Bike Book or Ballantine's Richard's Bicycle Book, and maybe gift him with a basic multi-tool for Christmas. Those books, especially the early editions, are manifestoes of the joys and virtues of being self-sufficient on the bike, even to the point of militancy. But someone earlier noted the other nice thing about carrying tools and knowing how to use them - being able to help others.

My kit is smaller now, no matter what bag I happen to have on the bike. Typically I'll carry a multi-tool of some stripe, one tube and a full-size frame pump (either an ancient Zefal or a modern Zefal HPX), because I'm an old guy and that's how I learned to do it back before Gerald Ford pardoned Nixon. On my longer-range, ride-out-in-the-boonies bike I'll carry TWO tubes, a patch kit, multi-tool and pump. But for a while there when I used to go on organized rides, I would sometimes carry a few more items, like one spare (used) Look cleat (back when I rode with those) and a couple of spare bolts to mount it, one link of chain and/or one spare master link, sometimes a spare brake shoe or two, and even a looooong shift cable (useful on a 60 cm bike with bar end shifters).

I never needed that stuff - but other riders did. And you cannot imagine the looks chasing each other across the faces of a couple on the Lost Weekend Ride 20 years ago when the wife's STI shift cable failed and they were at the second rest stop pondering what to do, and I walked up and handed them the cable they needed, made sure they knew how to fix it, and wished them a nice day before riding off. Or the guy on a club ride when he realized he had lost a brake shoe on his back brake and I handed him a set of basic used ones and helped him install them. All very Boy Scout, but rewarding for everyone.

Learning to do roadside repairs is LIBERATING. It is a natural part of riding a bike, and the cooler and more road-warrior the impromptu repair, the better!
Likes For rustystrings61:
Old 10-28-20, 07:53 AM
hipslo

Bikes: Cannondale Quick 3 (2020), Trek 720 Multitrack (1993)

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My approach has worked just fine for me over almost 40 years of driving. I wasn't asking for advice or judgement, certainly not on that front, but I suppose some folks just can't resist.
Likes For hipslo:
Old 10-28-20, 08:11 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
Retro Grouch has a good summary but I agree with Maelochs that it needs to be four categories. Paying AAA, uber or a cab is entirely different from calling Mom, Sis or some random "friend" to rescue you from your own slacker-ness. I say this having made the call of shame to my wife twice. Once because of heat exhaustion and leg cramps, the other when my freehub froze. Another ride ended in a crash and ambulance trip but I didn't make that call. Apparently there is a continuum of personal responsibility and no agreement as to when we evolve from dependent child to adult. If even a semester of ethics was taught in our high schools we would all benefit, IMO.

I really think that putting this into "moral failing" or "ethical" terms is a bit of overkill. To me, this is more of an etiquette issue, and like all such questions, context matters. Someone could be right that they have the type of relationship where asking for help when you could have helped yourself is not going to cause resentment. All I think is legit here is to warn people who call for the gratuitous rescue that they might want to be aware that even if the person is saying yes to the request, they might be too polite to tell you that you're annoying them by making it when they know you could easily fix the problem yourself.

I would happily pick up a friend who was having heat exhaustion because no amount of preparation can forestall that, my only concern there would be whether it was more appropriate for the friend's safety to call an ambulance. Might be hard to tell the difference between heat exhaustion and heat stroke over the phone.
Likes For livedarklions:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.