Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

No frills front/rear camera that just does loop recordings

Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Old 08-13-21, 10:04 PM
duke_of_hazard

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

Not interested in any of this app nonsense. Just want it to do loop recording with enough resolution to read license plates.
Old 08-13-21, 11:05 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,798 Times in 1,798 Posts
Drift Ghost video cameras are the best suited I've found for bicycling and basic traffic/safety documentation at a reasonable price. Easy to use. The app, via Wi-Fi, isn't necessary but it makes it much easier to adjust the camera settings. Otherwise all the settings can be accessed via the small, simple LCD screen that shows only alphanumeric characters. We can review or preview videos only through the app, or after a ride by plugging the camera or media card into a computer.

However recording US license plates isn't easy for any 1080p camera. Our license plates are too small to reliably record the complete plate info, although it's usually okay in good light. In dim light most video cameras with small sensors are hindered by high ISO noise, slow shutters speeds and poor dynamic range. Most Drift demo videos are from England, where Drift is located. Their plates are larger and easier to see.
Likes For canklecat:
Old 08-18-21, 01:20 PM
duke_of_hazard

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
There's got to be something cheaper than the drift ghost. I remember there used to be these "spycams" on ebay for $10 back in 2010. I bought a few to mount to my remote control airplanes. Resolution was HD .
Old 08-19-21, 12:05 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1477 Post(s)
Liked 637 Times in 436 Posts
Originally Posted by duke_of_hazard
There's got to be something cheaper than the drift ghost. I remember there used to be these "spycams" on ebay for $10 back in 2010. I bought a few to mount to my remote control airplanes. Resolution was HD .
Try Googling " Best budget action cameras for 2021" and see what suits your needs.

These things change all the time. What I bought in August 2020 is no longer available on Amazon. So I could not update my feedback. I bought it online directly from the company but, as you can guess, negative reviews could be removed.

After about a year of owning two budget cameras, I would be looking for these requirements.

Long lasting battery in temperatures from -10C to 55C at a video resolution that can read licence plates.

Spare batteries and a separate battery charger.

Date and timestamp remain as you change batteries.

Each time you start a new ride, check that the camera's timestamp is correct.

Will the manufacture honour its warranty regardless if you purchased it directly or from a third part like Amazon?

The following don't exist yet but you might as well ask in case there are good solutions.

Good internal microphone that can pick up a conversation 10ft away while in its waterproof case.

Audio recording that stays in synch with the video recording.

Waterproof case that gives you access to the micro usb ports.
Likes For Daniel4:
Old 08-21-21, 03:17 AM
Falchoon

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by duke_of_hazard
There are still $10 spycams around, but I'd say they would be pretty poor quality. For $10 though they are probably worth trying, won't leave a huge hole in your wallet if they turn out to be complete crap

https://www.walmart.com/ip/COP-CAM-S...32GB/747247636
Old 08-22-21, 10:26 PM
duke_of_hazard

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Falchoon
There are still $10 spycams around, but I'd say they would be pretty poor quality. For $10 though they are probably worth trying, won't leave a huge hole in your wallet if they turn out to be complete crap

https://www.walmart.com/ip/COP-CAM-S...32GB/747247636
Thanks. Picture quality looks decent based on this video: