Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Why do you ride that old steel road bike?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Why do you ride that old steel road bike?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-15, 11:07 AM
bmthom.gis

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon 4 Rival; 2014 Cannondale Trail 7 29; 1972 Schwinn Suburban, 1996 Proflex 756, 1987(?) Peugeot, Dahon Speed P8; 1979 Raleigh Competition GS; 1995 Stumpjumper M2 FS, 1978 Raleigh Sports, Schwinn Prologue

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Bridger M
Nice, modern road bikes are significantly faster and stiffer. That is a fact. however, old steel road bikes are very durable, cool, and good for commuting. They are still fast bikes, but they are definitely less good for racing than a carbon bike.
False. The only "fast" bike is a red bike. A carbon fibre bike can't magically go faster than a steel or aluminum bike.
Old 05-06-15, 05:03 PM
Duo
Banned.

Bikes: The Good Book of bicycling

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 535 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by SlimRider
I have many fond memories of my old chromoly steel Nishiki. She has given me almost thirty years of excellent service and she remains my main steed, after all these years. She's comfortable, agile, durable, and beautiful. I love her...
thanks for the memories. The old Nishiki International was the bicycle of my high school years. Really solid, just didn't know what i had. Now i ride touring bikes and get about the same effect from them. Cromoly just gives me better vibes than do the others.

Let me add, that the new bikes are nice too. It depends on how much cash you wanna drop, for a recreational rider, it probably doesn't matter what you ride. Just riding anything is fun, whether it be a tandem, mtb, touring or racing bike.

Last edited by Duo; 05-06-15 at 05:09 PM.
Old 05-07-15, 02:12 AM
Sangetsu

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 570 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 21 Posts
I got my steel bike back in 1998. I was part of a team for a year, racing in Southern Europe. Our team was supplied with Gios bicycles, we had a choice between the A90 (aluminum) or the Compact Pro (steel). I was the only one to choose a Compact Pro. Components were a mix of Record and Chorus parts, I upgraded all the parts to Record (at my own expense). I still have this old Gios, it has been ridden in many countries, states, and continents, and still rides as sweetly as ever. I still run the old school Helium wheel set, and carbon 9 speed record kit, though the original shifters wore out a few years ago, and needed to be replaced.
Old 05-07-15, 02:25 AM
Sangetsu

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 570 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 21 Posts
One thing steel bikes offer is some "comfort factor". The most comfortable bike I have ever ridden was my old Trek 660 with a Reynolds 531 frame. Everything about this bike was spot-on, it was light, agile, soaked up rough roads, and for some reason, my pedal stroke on this bike was as smooth as could be. With the Record components of the day (down tube shifters, and sew ups), it was quite light. I wish I had never sold this bike. I have ridden titanium, carbon fiber, and aluminum, but nothing was as magic as my old Trek.
Old 05-07-15, 08:26 AM
curlyque
Banned.

Bikes: 1989 Greg LeMond Le Vanquer, 2005 LeMond Zurich, 2010 LHT, Marlboro Fuji Folder

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
Some of the old steel frame bikes with their beautiful lugs are a thing of beauty. The ones out of the mid to late 80s with their down tube shifters are some of the simplest clean looking bikes ever produced.
Something like this.......

Old 05-07-15, 03:23 PM
HauntedMyst
Spandex free since 1963!

Bikes: Cannondale Road Warrior 900, Surly Big Dummy, Electra Townie

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Both my steel bikes are very comfortable to ride.
Old 05-08-15, 01:57 PM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,676 Times in 827 Posts
I likes my steel 1983 Nishiki International so much I bought a new Charge Plug skinny steel semi tourer. It isn't so heavy, and the ride is supple.
Old 05-09-15, 10:33 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Originally Posted by cehowardGS
To really let people know the JOY and PLEASURE of OLD STEEL, take a look at this thread.. Enjoy.

retro roadies- old frames with STI's or Ergos - Page 120
I'm sorry. Not a fan of the aero wheels or aero cages, except maybe on the last one (the alloy silver disappears). I'm sure you receive "oohs and aahs", though. Just not for my tastes.
Old 05-10-15, 05:59 AM
nishiki _fan

Bikes: 1987 Nishiki International dark blue

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ride old steel because I'm a vintage type of guy. I love acquiring things from the past, learning about their history, and keeping them in the present. I will ride my 1987 Nishiki International into the ground!

peace
Old 05-10-15, 06:31 AM
Duo
Banned.

Bikes: The Good Book of bicycling

Quoted: 535 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by nishiki _fan
I ride old steel because I'm a vintage type of guy. I love acquiring things from the past, learning about their history, and keeping them in the present. I will ride my 1987 Nishiki International into the ground!

peace
back in the 70's, Nishiki used to run their bike ads in Bicycling Magazine if memory serves. Their ads were very classy for the International, it may have been the bicycle on the back of a Rolls Royce. As a teen my new International felt like a luxury bicycle compared to all the beaters I rode as a kid. And yeah, the stem shifters and aluminum alloy components were all high end to me................still are.

Originally Posted by EvilV
The heaviest thing about my bike is me. The idea of paying out a couple of thousand to get rid of about four pounds in all up weight is much less appealing than losing four pounds by going without food for two days.
Very insightful. Fasting can be helpful at times, in fact a doctor wrote a book on the subject titled "Fasting can save your life". He helped cure many people just by putting them on a water fast for a short time. Some were cured of problems they had for decades.

Now we need a book titled: Old Bicycles can save your life. New bicycles can too of course. These new carbon bikes will be vintage some day, just maybe not for some of us.

Last edited by Duo; 05-10-15 at 06:54 AM.
Old 05-12-15, 10:25 PM
MrB67

Bikes: 2014 Cinelli Experience, 1995 Carrera Podium, 1984 Kuwahara Pulsar, 1982 Murray MTN. Bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ride my steel lugged frames for several reasons:
First the weight issue. I like the fact that my training bike is a vintage steel lugged frame, which is heavier than my race bikes. I WANT the extra weight, it makes you a stronger rider. Some may argue that, but I don't care, it works for me!!
Second, you can't beat the ride quality of a good steel frame, that's why there is the saying "steel is real" on a long distance ride, my body takes less of a beating from a steel frame than an aluminum frame. Steel has the unique characteristic of energy absorption, which you can't get from aluminum, titanium, or carbon. So on long rides your body experiences less fatigue from shock. Energy transfer from the road through the frame to the rider is smallest on a steel frame.
Third, a good quality steel frame can be just as light and strong as a aluminum frame. And ALMOST as good as a carbon frame, All I have to say on that topic is "Columbus tubing".
I agree that carbon is stronger and lighter, but it has a life span shorter than steel, and can fatigue. Of course, on the flip side of that argument is the fact that you have to take care of your steel frames or they will rust. But unless you make a living riding on the saddle, weight differences that are measured in grams or ounces, or even several pounds, don't justify the expense of carbon, and high tech components. At least not for everyone.
I find it ridiculous when guys snob and brag over the 6 oz. they saved by buying the latest and best parts for their ride, or even the 2-4 lbs. they saved by going to a full carbon frame set, and then go out for pizza or a cheeseburger. Seriously, weight is not that big of a issue, unless you race for a living. There are still records set by cyclists who rode steel bikes, (ones considered today to be classic/vintage), and even though we have all pros riding the latest carbon, the old records still stand undefeated.
And if weight is that big of a issue, I'll go on a diet before I go full carbon!
I have nothing against carbon, I just don't have a interest in it. And I have a nice aluminum Cinelli race bike, but my personal preference will always be steel. After all is said and done, for me, it boils down to the quality of the ride a good lugged steel frame can provide. It's well worth the extra cost of weight, for me.
Old 05-13-15, 09:10 AM
Oldguyonoldbike

Bikes: Casati Laser, Colnago Tecnos, Ciöcc Exige, Black Mountain Cycles Road

Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 78 Posts
My experience seems to fly in the face of a lot of the hype. I have three bikes: an aluminum Raleigh CX bike (23 lbs.), a steel Colnago Tecnos with profiled Columbus tubing (21 lbs.), and a carbon fiber Ciocc with Deda tubing (18 lbs.). Gearing is different on all three: the Raleigh has a 46/36 crankset up front and an 11/28 cassette, the Colnago a 53/39 with a 13/26, and the Ciocc a 52/36 with a 12-27 cassette.

I ride the Raleigh in bad weather. It's heavy and the least comfortable. No surprises. It also has disc brakes which are great in the wet.

The carbon fiber Ciocc is a dream to ride. It is supremely comfortable, handles well and climbs with ease.

The steel Colnago, on the other hand, is much more comfortable than the aluminum, but not as comfortable as the carbon (perhaps the profiled tubes are stiffer than most steel tubes). Either the weight or the taller gearing give me more of a workout than either of the other bikes, but it is much faster than the other two. When I got the cf bike I was expecting all sorts of PB's on Strava, but it just didn't happen. Segments and average times are just higher on the Colnago in spite of the weight, a more upright position and 20-year old gruppo and hubs. Oh, it's also a lot prettier than the other two.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_0023.jpg (100.8 KB, 739 views)
File Type: jpg
IMG_0087.jpg (66.6 KB, 740 views)
Old 08-31-21, 11:30 AM
C0UG4R

Bikes: 1984 Serotta Nova Special, 1976 Zeus, 1995 Park Pre Pro825, 1992 Cannondale M800, 1993 Bridgestone MB-1

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 152 Times in 25 Posts
I ride steel frame bikes because 1: I like the looks of them vs a carbon bike 2: Much cheaper for parts and the frame. I'm sure carbon bikes are great, I just prefer riding a steel frame.
Old 08-31-21, 11:47 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3657 Post(s)
Liked 5,393 Times in 2,738 Posts
Thanks
Old 08-31-21, 12:18 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Quoted: 1245 Post(s)
Liked 1,321 Times in 673 Posts
Originally Posted by C0UG4R
I ride steel frame bikes because 1: I like the looks of them vs a carbon bike 2: Much cheaper for parts and the frame. I'm sure carbon bikes are great, I just prefer riding a steel frame.
Think how much progress there has been with Carbon bicycles in all the major categories over the past 6 years since this thread was last commented on, they are now cheaper, the ride can be precisely tailored, more durable and even lighter.
Likes For Atlas Shrugged:
Old 08-31-21, 12:41 PM
Flatforkcrown

Bikes: N+1

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 419 Times in 159 Posts
Originally Posted by Atlas Shrugged
Think how much progress there has been with Carbon bicycles in all the major categories over the past 6 years since this thread was last commented on, they are now cheaper, the ride can be precisely tailored, more durable and even lighter.
yet people are still riding and making steel bikes.
Old 08-31-21, 12:47 PM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Originally Posted by MightyLegnano
There are wonderful carbon road bikes or even high end aluminium ones that feels like a breeze in your legs. They are fast, agile, reliable and super responsive. The look manly and futuristic and you are getting cool points just by riding them. Some though, choose to ride beat up, heavy oldschool road bikes instead. Why?

Please express yourself.

I ride them because I feel like they are my adoptees. I took them almost dead and with some work & a little bit of live now they are happy and alive again. And also because each one has a history to tell
That old steel lugged frame bike will still be on the road after that fantastic plastic new bike they are building these days has shattered.
Likes For rydabent:
Old 08-31-21, 12:49 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Quoted: 1245 Post(s)
Liked 1,321 Times in 673 Posts
Originally Posted by Flatforkcrown
yet people are still riding and making steel bikes.
They also still make, turntables, mechanical watches, manual transmission sports cars and tubular tires. People have an irrational attachment to nostalgia.
Old 08-31-21, 12:51 PM
Flatforkcrown

Bikes: N+1

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 419 Times in 159 Posts
They also still make, turntables, mechanical watches, manual transmission sports cars and tubular tires. People have an irrational attachment to nostalgia.
I’m a fan of all of the above, and I’m not old enough to be nostalgic about them.
Likes For Flatforkcrown:
Old 08-31-21, 12:55 PM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
steel frame? check
turntable? no, sold
mechanical watch? check
manual transmission or sports car? no, no interest
tubular tires? check

I guess that I'm semi-nostalgic. I probably will have at least one steel framed bike until the day I stop riding.
Likes For Phil_gretz:
Old 08-31-21, 01:13 PM
ejw

Bikes: 2002 Gary Fisher Marlin, 1981 Peugeot PSV 10S, 1974 Paramount Road Racer, 1971 Raleigh International, 1965 Fiorelli, 1961 Rudge Sports

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 32 Posts
There’s nothing wrong with the aforementioned. I own multiples of each. And three steel frame bikes: 1965 Fiorelli Road Racer, 1971 Raleigh International, 1981 Peugeot PSV 10 S… and an aluminum frame Gary Fisher Marlin circa 2002. I rode a lot in the 70’s thru the 80’s with a bit of racing in there and one 400 mile ride from Miami to Gainesville, Fla. And, I am riding anyone of these bikes almost daily. Frankly the steelies are beautiful, they ride well, and yes, there’s a bit of nostalgia involved.

Last edited by ejw; 08-31-21 at 01:23 PM.
Old 08-31-21, 01:18 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,474 Times in 4,181 Posts
The poster commented in the present day. They are presumably aware of this progress, so there isnt much reason to mention it.

Even with the progress you mention, that other poster may still like the look of a steel frame more...unless that progress you mention was the ability to look like a steel frame.

Its a hobby- it doesnt need to be logical or efficient.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 08-31-21, 01:43 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2570 Post(s)
Liked 5,600 Times in 2,907 Posts
2 steel frames, 1 aluminum and 2 carbon. Each bike has period group sets. Rather funny, if riding with older people (65+) I get all sorts of compliments on my early 80s and 90s frames, but nothing on the carbon, since they are strictly old school. But when riding with people in their 30s and 40s it’s the exact opposite. Preference seems to be with what you grew up with and what your goals might be. My sample size is relatively small but consistent.

The steel bikes are racing frames and the carbon are endurance. As I age, my preference has gone to comfort rather than speed - but a little speed never hurts

Old 08-31-21, 01:49 PM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,124 Times in 746 Posts
Yes --- why in the world would somebody invest thought, time , money , patience and finally leg power in such an arcane and obsolete material ?

(Oh wait - i just did it a couple of years ago -- i must be stupid

Likes For DMC707:
Old 08-31-21, 01:55 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,494 Times in 7,317 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
That old steel lugged frame bike will still be on the road after that fantastic plastic new bike they are building these days has shattered.
Way to quote a 9+ year old post, spanky.

Likes For indyfabz:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.