Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

She's a bit rusty...

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

She's a bit rusty...

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-21, 06:58 PM
PapaEZ

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
She's a bit rusty...

I found an ad for used bicycles being sold cheap locally, figured it would be worth a look. I planned on looking for parts and ended up buying a bike for the Misses, a Huffy Bay Pointe 3 speed (Hopefully counts as a Classic). Nothing fancy, and a bit rusty but rides like a dream. My spouse has struggled with (box store) bicycles, but doesn't ride enough to buy a "good" bike (her words, not mine).

I got it home, pumped up the tires only to 30 psi (needs tires badly), did a brake check and took it for a spin. The Shimano 3 speed works but needs adjustment, and only the front brakes work proper, but rides a hundred times better than her old mountain bike. I went inside and told her she's got something outside. She took it for a spin and was thrilled. She's not a fan of derailers, and never rode a IGH 3 speed, which she thinks is brilliant. Luckily the rims turn true, no wobble. She's looking forward to riding more often now.

Now for the bad. The bike is showing its age, the handlebars and rims are a bit rusty (everything chrome plated), and cables need replacement. The new 26 x 1 3/8 tires, tubes and rim bands cost more than the bike. After the cables are replaced and brakes are sorted I'll still be well under $100, so not expensive. I'm not familiar with this bikes bottom bracket and crank set up, but luckily everything seems fine for now. I plan on re-greasing everything in time to make sure things remain smooth. Any suggestions are welcome, as I'm not totally familiar with this bicycles maintenance.

I'm not trying to put lipstick on a pig, but would like for my wife to enjoy this bike as long as possible. Is there anyone making 26 x 1 3/8 rims new? Or should I just clean up the originals and prevent them from further rusting?(they seem solid, just surface rust) It doesn't need to be pretty, just remain functional.

Also if anyone found "rummage" bikes cheap/free please share your experience and things to look out for.

Thanks for reading, take care.
Old 09-18-21, 11:41 PM
RustyJames 

Bikes: You had me at rusty and Italian!!

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 565 Post(s)
Liked 1,045 Times in 541 Posts
26 x 1 3/8 rims/wheels were widely used in the 60s and 70s and new rims are available from Sun and often labeled as 650(A). (Someone may correct me so feed back is always welcome!) There are tires available and Google is your friend.

The Shimano hub, likely a 333, is okay but not stellar. I have one on a Nishiki and it is fine for leisurely rides around the neighborhood but YMMV. I am also a fan of IGHs so my opinions are biased.

As always, ride and enjoy. Things on old bikes can be persnickety but I enjoy that part of it.
Old 09-19-21, 02:04 AM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1954 Post(s)
Liked 3,658 Times in 1,677 Posts
My gf road many miles on a 333 hub with no issues. I have a set of sun 650a rims that are doing real well on a triumph three speed. Not easy to find but nice rims. As for tires, modern bike has Kenda 650a or 26x1and 3/8 tires. The tubes are available at Walmart.

Excellent grocery getter with 3 speeds and sun rims.
Old 09-19-21, 05:14 PM
3speedslow

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1942 Post(s)
Liked 1,068 Times in 636 Posts
Since your spoke count should be the usual 36, new rims if available will be possible. Supply being the key word...
Old 09-19-21, 05:23 PM
3speedslow

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1942 Post(s)
Liked 1,068 Times in 636 Posts
This 72 ish Sears made by Murray with a Shimano 333 has served me well for many miles. Almost all original and only want a few sips of oil now and again.

Likes For 3speedslow:
Old 09-19-21, 10:08 PM
Slowride79

Bikes: 50s, 60s, 70s Nottingham/Worksop bikes, becanes, Gitane, Bertin, Lion of Sochaux

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 120 Times in 75 Posts
Use wd40 and a brass bristled brush to remove rust from rims. Once rust removed you can wax them to prevent from rusting again.
Old 09-20-21, 08:09 AM
PapaEZ

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Thanks for all the replies.

I started cleaning up the bike yesterday, but still have the rims to do. Thanks for the tip on WD-40 and brush. I can confirm it has a Shimano 333 hub. It's a sweet bike for what it is and the Misses likes it (that's the important thing). Just waiting on the new tires, tubes and rim bands to arrive. I think the current tires are original and the bike wasn't ridden much. Just wish it was stored better.

That grocery getter and Sears are nice bikes, thanks for sharing it. I haven't seen many 3 speed bicycles around, but I haven't been looking either. After taking my wife's Huffy for a spin, I'm thinking about getting a 3 speed myself or having a wheel (with 3 speed hub) built for my single speed.
Likes For PapaEZ:
Old 09-20-21, 09:41 AM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1954 Post(s)
Liked 3,658 Times in 1,677 Posts
Originally Posted by PapaEZ
Thanks for all the replies.

I started cleaning up the bike yesterday, but still have the rims to do. Thanks for the tip on WD-40 and brush. I can confirm it has a Shimano 333 hub. It's a sweet bike for what it is and the Misses likes it (that's the important thing). Just waiting on the new tires, tubes and rim bands to arrive. I think the current tires are original and the bike wasn't ridden much. Just wish it was stored better.

That grocery getter and Sears are nice bikes, thanks for sharing it. I haven't seen many 3 speed bicycles around, but I haven't been looking either. After taking my wife's Huffy for a spin, I'm thinking about getting a 3 speed myself or having a wheel (with 3 speed hub) built for my single speed.
I built a three speed wheel for my super course. Great fun!
Old 09-20-21, 09:44 AM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1606 Post(s)
Liked 2,570 Times in 1,218 Posts
https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...aved-dump.html
Old 09-21-21, 12:58 AM
mitchiefulfer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
can use aluminum foil to get off some of the rust
Old 09-21-21, 04:50 AM
Highmass

Bikes: 1991 Centurion Oxygen, 1997 Centurion Invincible, 1995+- Fondriest Wind, 1982 Grand Master Nissan Pro 2000, 1992 Olmo Racing (The racing part of the name HAS to be a joke).

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 20 Posts
I found an ad for used bicycles being sold cheap locally, figured it would be worth a look. I planned on looking for parts and ended up buying a bike for the Misses, a Huffy Bay Pointe 3 speed (Hopefully counts as a Classic). Nothing fancy, and a bit rusty but rides like a dream. My spouse has struggled with (box store) bicycles, but doesn't ride enough to buy a "good" bike (her words, not mine).

I got it home, pumped up the tires only to 30 psi (needs tires badly), did a brake check and took it for a spin. The Shimano 3 speed works but needs adjustment, and only the front brakes work proper, but rides a hundred times better than her old mountain bike. I went inside and told her she's got something outside. She took it for a spin and was thrilled. She's not a fan of derailers, and never rode a IGH 3 speed, which she thinks is brilliant. Luckily the rims turn true, no wobble. She's looking forward to riding more often now.

Now for the bad. The bike is showing its age, the handlebars and rims are a bit rusty (everything chrome plated), and cables need replacement. The new 26 x 1 3/8 tires, tubes and rim bands cost more than the bike. After the cables are replaced and brakes are sorted I'll still be well under $100, so not expensive. I'm not familiar with this bikes bottom bracket and crank set up, but luckily everything seems fine for now. I plan on re-greasing everything in time to make sure things remain smooth. Any suggestions are welcome, as I'm not totally familiar with this bicycles maintenance.

I'm not trying to put lipstick on a pig, but would like for my wife to enjoy this bike as long as possible. Is there anyone making 26 x 1 3/8 rims new? Or should I just clean up the originals and prevent them from further rusting?(they seem solid, just surface rust) It doesn't need to be pretty, just remain functional.

Also if anyone found "rummage" bikes cheap/free please share your experience and things to look out for.

Thanks for reading, take care.
You mention that the handlebars are a bit rusty. I have ridden a bike where the handlebar suddenly broke (Aluminium so not rusty). I was lucky, and didnīt get hurt. But if a handlebar breaks in traffic, and the bike falls the wrong way, the rider will be VERY flat if a truck is passing. Make SURE that the handlebars ONLY have surface rust, or replace them. I myself would replace them, new handlebars donīt have to be expensive.
Old 09-21-21, 05:11 AM
Murray Missile 

Bikes: More than there were awhile ago.

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked 1,262 Times in 602 Posts
I use #0000 steel wool and WD-40 to remove surface rust, including painted surfaces.

As to the bottom bracket. I can't tell you how many I've had that felt silky smooth with the crank arms attached but when I remove the arms and turned the spindle without them..... They felt like the bearings were square and packed with gravel! Pulled them apart and the grease was the conistency of tar. Repack the bottom bracket, head set and hubs.
Old 09-21-21, 07:50 AM
PapaEZ

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Wow, thanks for all the tips.

I used a mix aluminum foil/water, 0000 steel wool, chrome polish and cleaned things up with water/soap and a wool rag. I'll have to pick up some WD-40 for rims and turtle wax to finish things off. Luckily the handlebars are solid, just surface rust spotting. But I do have new handlebars I may use just in case. As for the bottom bracket, I'll check it out. I'll have to look up disassembly. I have plenty of various greases, as long as the bearings are good I should be set. If they're not, ordering some isn't an issue.

Hopefully I responded to all. I'll have to check out the link later on, but very cool stuff. Take it easy and be safe.
Likes For PapaEZ:
Old 09-21-21, 09:57 AM
tricky 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 298 Posts
Wow, thanks for all the tips.

I used a mix aluminum foil/water, 0000 steel wool, chrome polish and cleaned things up with water/soap and a wool rag. I'll have to pick up some WD-40 for rims and turtle wax to finish things off. Luckily the handlebars are solid, just surface rust spotting. But I do have new handlebars I may use just in case. As for the bottom bracket, I'll check it out. I'll have to look up disassembly. I have plenty of various greases, as long as the bearings are good I should be set. If they're not, ordering some isn't an issue.

Hopefully I responded to all. I'll have to check out the link later on, but very cool stuff. Take it easy and be safe.
You may know this already, but mentioning it since the consequences of bad brakes can be, well, bad. Don't leave WD-40 or wax on the rims brake tracks! You're wife will be in for a terrifying no-brakes surprise! And replace the brake pads while you're at it. You'll get much better braking. Oh, and post pics!
Likes For tricky: