Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Winter Cycling
Reload this Page >

Thinking ahead to winter

Search
Notices
Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

Thinking ahead to winter

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-21, 07:01 AM
Alligator

Bikes: Too many. I’m constantly selling and buying new bikes.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 24 Posts
Thinking ahead to winter

Another thread here started me thinking about getting a fat bike to ride through powder this winter. I only have a three mile commute, but I need to bike even if there is 3-4” of fresh snow on the road. I can’t count on every street being plowed, but many of them should be before I start my commute.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a belt-drive fat bike? I’d like to go with a belt drive and internally geared hub so I don’t have to worry about the salt.
Old 05-31-21, 09:36 PM
Bmach

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked 264 Times in 162 Posts
I have no idea but interesting thought.
Old 06-03-21, 05:14 PM
Viich
Hack

Bikes: TrueNorth CX bike, 88 Bianchi Strada (currently Sturmey'd), Yess World Cup race BMX, Pure Cruiser race BMX, RSD Mayor v3 Fatbike

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 131 Posts
I use 35mm studded tires - powder is fine, I've been hub deep. It's when it starts to pack that it sucks.

Also not much problem with a derailleur or chain. I have lock de-icer with me in case it does freeze up, and run 7 speed so I can replace chain and freewheel every year or two at a total cost of about $40. Fat bike is out of my price range for commuter bike - road salt is going to eat it anyway.

Last edited by Viich; 06-03-21 at 05:18 PM.
Old 06-11-21, 08:50 AM
MtlClimb

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Whether your area uses salt during the winter time is definitely a big consideration. In Montreal, it depends on the municipality and some are using a diluted salt brine instead, as well as other options. A fatter profile, fat bike tire or studs coupled with a belt drive would be the ideal setup here. We get some heavy snow and cold temps in the wintertime so there will definitely be days when riding won't be possible but overall it should be do-able. One consideration is getting a bike with a lower centre of gravity, say with 20" Schwalbe winter studded tires. That's what I'll be running on my Tern Vektron this winter.