Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

New Huffy Touriste 3-speed Japanese folding bike

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

New Huffy Touriste 3-speed Japanese folding bike

Old 08-18-21, 08:18 AM
3speedslow

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1937 Post(s)
Liked 1,043 Times in 627 Posts
Originally Posted by molleraj
Indeed, I need to look at the steerer tube, though it's quite dinged up. Upon further examination of the components (Nov. 1981 for the front hub), T-Mar thinks this is a 1982 bicycle.
The head tube holds the steerer tube which is connected to the fork. Sorry for being unclear.
Old 08-18-21, 08:32 AM
molleraj

Bikes: 1993 (?) BikeE CT RoadE edition, 2007 (?) Dahon Speed D7, 2003 (?) Specialized Globe Sport, 1969 Schwinn Collegiate 5-speed, 1974 Panasonic Sport Deluxe, 1982 Peugeot P8

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 185 Times in 79 Posts
Originally Posted by 3speedslow
The head tube holds the steerer tube which is connected to the fork. Sorry for being unclear.
Oh OK! I think I just saw the stem code - 9886 EL (win?), which I believe is December 1980. I need to do more digging for the steerer tube. Idk if I have the wrench to undo that.

Last edited by molleraj; 08-18-21 at 08:36 AM.
Old 08-19-21, 08:44 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 652 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4719 Post(s)
Liked 3,034 Times in 1,874 Posts
Thanks! T-Mar says probably OEM contract manufacturer for Sekai/Bridgestone/Huffy and 1981 (S1F93356). S(1) apparently is Shogun, Sekai, or Nishiki and the F is 1981.

T-Mar will be doing more forensics soon.
To clarify any potential misunderstanding by forum members, the "S" in the serial number itself reprents the unidentifed manufacturer. They manufactured bicycles under contract for other companies, that were marketed as Nishiki, Sekai, Shogun and probably several others. We can now add Huffy to that list. The first numeral in the serial number (in this case "1") is the year code. The "F" appears to represent June. This is consistent with the format found on the OP's Shogun 400 (serial number S3L01485), so it would appear to have been manufactured by the same company. The "S(1)" designation is that used in my Asian Serial Number Guide to represent the first of the unidentified manufacturers having a serial number format with an "S" constant.

We've seen this same frame marketed under other brand names, so it's likely a standard offering from the manufacturer, that they then painted, branded and equipped to suit the client. I imagine that orders for folding bicycles were rather small, which does not make for efficient production and a decent profit margin. Consequently, I suspect that the manufacturer built these to speculation. The frames would be stored, then painted, branded and equipped as new orders were received. This could explain the frame pre-dating the front hub by the realtively large period of five months. Another possibility would be a defective frame that had to go through a rework cycle.
Old 08-19-21, 12:16 PM
molleraj

Bikes: 1993 (?) BikeE CT RoadE edition, 2007 (?) Dahon Speed D7, 2003 (?) Specialized Globe Sport, 1969 Schwinn Collegiate 5-speed, 1974 Panasonic Sport Deluxe, 1982 Peugeot P8

Originally Posted by T-Mar
To clarify any potential misunderstanding by forum members, the "S" in the serial number itself reprents the unidentifed manufacturer. They manufactured bicycles under contract for other companies, that were marketed as Nishiki, Sekai, Shogun and probably several others. We can now add Huffy to that list. The first numeral in the serial number (in this case "1") is the year code. The "F" appears to represent June. This is consistent with the format found on the OP's Shogun 400 (serial number S3L01485), so it would appear to have been manufactured by the same company. The "S(1)" designation is that used in my Asian Serial Number Guide to represent the first of the unidentified manufacturers having a serial number format with an "S" constant.

We've seen this same frame marketed under other brand names, so it's likely a standard offering from the manufacturer, that they then painted, branded and equipped to suit the client. I imagine that orders for folding bicycles were rather small, which does not make for efficient production and a decent profit margin. Consequently, I suspect that the manufacturer built these to speculation. The frames would be stored, then painted, branded and equipped as new orders were received. This could explain the frame pre-dating the front hub by the realtively large period of five months. Another possibility would be a defective frame that had to go through a rework cycle.
Excellent, thank you for the detailed research! So this is a June 1981 frame with February and November 1981 hubs then. A late 1980 seatpost if I checked correctly, as well.
Old 09-06-21, 11:17 PM
molleraj

This little bike is really growing on me. Over Labor Day weekend, I took it for a 30 mile spin on Saturday and a 20 mile one yesterday. I did get some calf pain on Saturday but adjusted my saddle a bit and sat further back yesterday. No calf pain at all Monday.

The shifting is so smooth now and it just rides beautifully. I can't wait to share some more pictures. I wonder if a Raleigh Twenty or RSW rides the same? Well, I like it better than either because of its shape, dual foot "upright" kickstand, and 80s era Shimano hubs. It also has a really nice chain guard.

I am noticing the rear tire pressure goes down from ~40 to 25 after rides, but I go over lots of bumps and ridges. I am briefly airborne (by a few inches) after I reach the Capital Crescent Trail bridge over the C&O Canal. There is a bit of a drop (two inches). I did get some self-sealing spare 16" tubes in case a need should arise.
Old 09-07-21, 05:36 PM
molleraj

I noticed today on the way home from work that I don't seem to have to push a bit past 2 on the shifter to shift into second speed on a downshift anymore. I guess maybe riding the bike for 100 miles helped lube the IGH better?
Old 09-07-21, 06:47 PM
3speedslow

It’s probably freed up the pawls which react faster to the shift cable pull. Cool beans!

Pics when you can figure it out. Took me awhile!
Old 09-07-21, 06:57 PM
molleraj

It’s probably freed up the pawls which react faster to the shift cable pull. Cool beans!

Pics when you can figure it out. Took me awhile!
Noice! You mean pics of the pushrod/bellcrank? I am not taking this hub apart lol.
Old 09-07-21, 07:04 PM
3speedslow

No! No taking apart! Just pics of the bike when you can.
Old 09-07-21, 07:14 PM
molleraj

No! No taking apart! Just pics of the bike when you can.
Oh good! Thank goodness haha. Will do! I rode it over 110 miles since I got it about a month ago. I'm amazed that it's so comfortable as long as I follow proper bike fit (knees above pedal, 30 degree angle between upper leg line and lower leg at mid-stroke). 20 miles on this beast was not bad at all.
Old 09-07-21, 07:26 PM
molleraj

Here are some pics from my commute today and recent rides!

At Medical Center station, from the front

At Medical Center station, from the rear

At Arlington Cemetery station, from the rear

With my fork rebent Schwinn Collegiate at Gravelly Point

With my Schwinn Collegiate at Fletcher's Cove

At Rosslyn station, side view

At Rosslyn, rear view
Old 09-07-21, 08:09 PM
Velo Mule

Bikes: Trek 800 x 2, Schwinn Heavy Duti, Schwinn Traveler, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Schwinn Continental, Cannondale M400 and Lambert, Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 801 Post(s)
Liked 1,000 Times in 654 Posts
I am glad to see you posting pictures of your bike and riding it as much as you have. It is nice to see something like this on the C&V thread. I have learned so much from this forum. A quality Huffy? Yea, this looks to be a well made Japanese bike that is worthy of posting here. It looks great, and seems to get you around just fine. I love the fenders that it has.

Sheldon Brown says that the early Shimano 333 hubs had some issues. The later ones were better. When I worked in a bike shop in the early 80's we had almost no issues with these Shimano hubs, We sold Panasonic and Ross bikes with these hubs. My dad picked up a Sear Three speed bike that I borrowed a lot . I rode it to school and all over the neighborhood. Being a teen, I might have been a bit harsh with it too. It survived fine. This is just based on my limited experience.
Likes For Velo Mule:
Old 09-07-21, 08:25 PM
molleraj

Originally Posted by Velo Mule
I am glad to see you posting pictures of your bike and riding it as much as you have. It is nice to see something like this on the C&V thread. I have learned so much from this forum. A quality Huffy? Yea, this looks to be a well made Japanese bike that is worthy of posting here. It looks great, and seems to get you around just fine. I love the fenders that it has.

Sheldon Brown says that the early Shimano 333 hubs had some issues. The later ones were better. When I worked in a bike shop in the early 80's we had almost no issues with these Shimano hubs, We sold Panasonic and Ross bikes with these hubs. My dad picked up a Sear Three speed bike that I borrowed a lot . I rode it to school and all over the neighborhood. Being a teen, I might have been a bit harsh with it too. It survived fine. This is just based on my limited experience.
Happy to share and happy that you enjoy the photos! This is indeed a Japanese OEM bike built for Huffy, Sekai, and Bridgestone, at least. It does look good, hehe. The fenders are aluminum I think. Someone on the DC metro was super curious about it this morning and had lots of questions :-)

Indeed I had heard the 60s era 333s were crummy but this 1981 3S is a delight as you said. Shimano apparently worked out their IGH quality issues in the 70s. Thanks for corroborating! I don't want suddenly snapping pawls in the middle of a commute :-(

If I remember right, those Sears three speeds were no slouch. Weren't they Austro-Daimler or Puch built?
Old 09-07-21, 08:57 PM
Velo Mule

Bikes: Trek 800 x 2, Schwinn Heavy Duti, Schwinn Traveler, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Schwinn Continental, Cannondale M400 and Lambert, Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 801 Post(s)
Liked 1,000 Times in 654 Posts
Happy to share and happy that you enjoy the photos! This is indeed a Japanese OEM bike built for Huffy, Sekai, and Bridgestone, at least. It does look good, hehe. The fenders are aluminum I think. Someone on the DC metro was super curious about it this morning and had lots of questions :-)

Indeed I had heard the 60s era 333s were crummy but this 1981 3S is a delight as you said. Shimano apparently worked out their IGH quality issues in the 70s. Thanks for corroborating! I don't want suddenly snapping pawls in the middle of a commute :-(

If I remember right, those Sears three speeds were no slouch. Weren't they Austro-Daimler or Puch built?
My dad's was a Murray built bike. The frame was pretty flexible. Not in a good, storing energy and releasing it way, more like cooked spaghetti. The bike could not be ridden without both hands on the handlebars. The spokes were all looser than would have been on a better quality bike. The brakes squeaked and barely slowed the bike down, pedals wore out, I am sure I repacked the grease on the front hub and the crank. And I squirt too much oil in the oil hole of the rear hub, because, again, I was a teenager. More had to be better. I also remember adding a bottle generator to the fork with a light on it. The adjustment had loosened and the generator went into the spokes. It might have broken a few spokes.

The bike kept going for some time. Years.
Old 09-07-21, 09:13 PM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1953 Post(s)
Liked 3,633 Times in 1,670 Posts
Always had great luck with Shimano 3 speeds as well. They were just a hair wider range than an aw if I recall correctly.
Old 09-08-21, 10:32 AM
3speedslow

Risking OT...

Long time Shimano 333 Sears rider from Murray. Quite regal!

Newly arrived Austrian Sears 3 speed project! Hope to have it ready for the October Challange.
Likes For 3speedslow:
Old 09-09-21, 06:03 PM
molleraj

Very cool 3speedslow. Just wanted to ask one very important question about standing on the pedals - is this not an issue with newer Shimano (3S or Nexus) hubs? I don't feel a freewheeling neutral ever like I read exists on the Sturmey-Archer AW. Then again, I never truly "stand" on the pedals, just lift myself from the seat a bit to get some power going up hills. If this is true, this would make the reliable Shimano IGHs much more desirable than Sturmey-Archer AWs because "hammering" is helpful for climbing hills.

I did a couple more rides (3-5 mi) through the neighborhood last night and this night and really enjoyed them. Yesterday with my new blue chromoly Dahon Speed D7 ($150) and today with the Touriste. The Dahon is probably 10 pounds lighter than the Touriste. Same speed on each bike for roughly the same route! I actually liked the Touriste ride better but that's most likely because of the sprung saddle. The bumps sometimes threw me off the springless Dahon seat. The Dahon tires are a bit narrower (1.5") and less knobby too, plus probably higher pressure. It seems the Touriste now has about 120 mi on it from my riding, haha.
Old 09-12-21, 10:38 PM
molleraj

I just rode this on my longest bike ride ever! 35.6 miles on Saturday! This plus a ride today puts me at 160 miles on this bike. I need to attempt a metric century on this thing and then repaint the frame and make some new decals. Such a nice ride. Also while hammering the pedals a bit is OK with the Shimano, I of course will never ever ever stand on them.

Map of the route

At College Park station platform

At College Park station

Caboose in Bladensburg

Swift boat at Navy Yard

MLK Jr Memorial
Old 09-13-21, 07:06 AM
3speedslow

As a rule I don’t hammer on the 3 speed hubs. I’ve heard warnings about stressing the pawls. I am for leisure riding with these bikes so hammering is done on others. Except my scorcher, still no stand and hammer. I changed the rear cog for an easier gear range. Many have done that kind of riding but I want my bikes to last and not wear out any faster.

Why the re paint? Pics make it look good!

I like rolling on my Dahons as well!
Old 09-20-21, 07:11 PM
molleraj

As a rule I don’t hammer on the 3 speed hubs. I’ve heard warnings about stressing the pawls. I am for leisure riding with these bikes so hammering is done on others. Except my scorcher, still no stand and hammer. I changed the rear cog for an easier gear range. Many have done that kind of riding but I want my bikes to last and not wear out any faster.

Why the re paint? Pics make it look good!

I like rolling on my Dahons as well!
Oh, OK! I never stand. I just push a little harder than average to get up a hill even on first speed. Absolutely I don't want to stress the pawls.

The paint does look good, it's just scratched up/faded in places where you'd expect the parts to hit during folding (one side of the fork).

Nice! I took my Dahon Speed D7 out for a group ride this weekend and shocked the hybrid riders by keeping up with or passing them at 16 mph. It was a casual ride but the fastest in the group were fairly intense bikers.

I just put new slime tubes in my tires and noticed that my rear tube had a leak! No wonder it only remained at 25 psi after a ride. The tires and tubes seem to be original - IRC Tractor Grip and IRC Inoue, respectively.
Old 09-20-21, 07:17 PM
3speedslow

Now is the time to line up replacement tires, tubes as well.
Old 09-20-21, 08:06 PM
molleraj

Now is the time to line up replacement tires, tubes as well.
Indeed. Some 16" gumwalls would be nice
Old 09-22-21, 08:55 AM
3speedslow

Ahh 16”, same size as the Brompton.
Likes For 3speedslow:
Old 09-22-21, 12:14 PM
molleraj

Ahh 16”, same size as the Brompton.
Indeed. It has been riding better at 60 psi (vs. 25 before).
Old 10-04-21, 08:38 PM
molleraj

Just made a video about the bike! You can see some recent accessory additions (e.g., new front and tail lights).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.