Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Best grease for threading freewheel to hub?

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 09-01-21, 05:48 PM
KenNC

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 63 Posts

I've been working on an early 80s tandem, and FINALLY got the freewheel off the Atom drum brake rear hub. Don't want to deal with that again, or pass that problem on to a future owner. I always grease the hub and freewheel before spinning them on, but haven't given much thought to the grease I use--whatever I've been using in bottom brackets. I'd be interested in hearing if there are any best practices out there that I am overlooking.
Old 09-01-21, 05:51 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4677 Post(s)
Liked 5,790 Times in 2,279 Posts
Pretty much any grease will do.
Old 09-01-21, 05:55 PM
road195 

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 7 Posts
I use Never Seize, or Phil grease. Small acid brush, q - Tips applied liberally.
Old 09-02-21, 01:48 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
I've used Phil's green grease and Permatex anti-seize lube. The latter is probably overkill. Any grease will probably do.
Likes For canklecat:
Old 09-02-21, 03:47 AM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,747 Times in 937 Posts
Originally Posted by onyerleft
Grease is grease is grease is grease.
That is certainly true but there are different kinds of grease.

In my case, and thanks to where I used to work, I use a synthetic water proof product and it works just fine - on everything bicycle related. The synthetic grease was/is used on paper making machines that are constantly subject to high moisture and steam contamination. It is incredibly good stuff and would never end up looking like this ordinary, old school grease that, thanks to water invasion, had turned to a rusty powder (not good for rodents to eat or live near apparently)...
Old 09-02-21, 04:55 AM
verktyg 
verktyg

Bikes: Current favorites: 1988 Peugeot Birraritz, 1984 Gitane Super Corsa, 1980s DeRosa, 1981 Bianchi Campione Del Mondo, 1992 Paramount OS, 1988 Colnago Technos, 1985 RalieghUSA SBDU Team Pro

Mentioned: 207 Post(s)
Quoted: 1036 Post(s)
Liked 1,237 Times in 653 Posts
Parts Is Parts - Not All Grease Is Created Equal

Most types of grease are designed to provide lubrication and reduce friction between mechanical moving surfaces. They provide a surface boundary layer to reduce direct contact between moving parts, for example in the case of ball bearings, metal to metal contact.

Standard Vaseline is a very simple form of grease that consists of pure high viscosity petroleum. It has no additives to function under high heat or high pressure such as would be found in a rotating mechanical device. Also the volatile elements eventually break down or evaporate leaving a hardened residue.

Commercial lubrication greases have all kinds of additives for performance in specific applications and provide longer useful life.

Using little or no lubrication between the aluminum hub threads and steel freewheels can result in 1 or 2 issues that will make a FW hard to remove. One is galling during assembly. The soft aluminum smears onto the steel threads forming a bond. The second is over time electrolytic corrosion can happen between the steel and aluminum.

Anti-Seize compound are formulated to reduce or prevent galling plus protect against electrolytic corrosion. They can contain graphite, molybdenum disulfide, and/or micro powdered metal such as aluminum, copper or nickel. Copper and nickel are used for higher heat applications.

I've used Phil grease for years on freewheels but if the anti-seize compound is close at hand I use that. I use anti-seize on pedal threads too. The only draw back is any excess becomes a mess to clean up.

I'd never use white Campy grease on freewheels because it dries out. Some white automotive lithium grease might work better.

Over thinking a problem a while back, I was wondering if the high pressure additives in automotive/marine grease etc. might contribute to electrolytic corrosion when used on seatposts and stems.

I started trying Vaseline in those applications instead... Then I stopped thinking and went back to what I'd been doing for almost 50 years.

verktyg

Chas. ;-)

Last edited by verktyg; 09-02-21 at 04:59 AM.
Likes For verktyg:
Old 09-02-21, 05:25 AM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales & a Super Pro Aero Lotus (* Ed.)

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 1451 Post(s)
Liked 2,183 Times in 960 Posts
My go to grease on all things bike related is Super Lube synthetic grease. As randyjawa says above, all grease is not the same. His photo is good proof that this is the case. Super Lube, along with being highly water resistant is also very resistant against salt contamination and temperature variations. How many of you have noticed what Phil Wood Grease does in hot weather? The oil tends to separate from the soap.

I offer up this photo below as a good example that all grease is not the same. Sometime in the early '90s Sachs began producing the Aris model of freewheels, which used red plastic cages to hold the bearings. The cages also doubled as seals which do an amazing job of keeping contaminates away from the internals.

However, their grease selection (and application method of the grease) proved problematic. Over time it ages into a very sticky "peanut butter" color and consistency. This tendency, and the fact that Sachs flooded the interior of the body with the bad grease through a port hole in the side (instead of only greasing the races), meant the pawls in many cases become lodged in the closed position and don't engage the ratchet teeth.

I have worked on NIB Sach Aris freewheels, which were (to the best of the owner's knowledge) stored in climate-controlled conditions, which looked like the above or worse. Clients have sent me this model seized tight with a report that it worked like a fixed gear bike. When I opened it, only the grease was binding the two body halves together.

If KenNC is removing the freewheel at least yearly, and refreshing the threads with new grease, then grease is grease is grease. But if you take the approach that you can "grease it and forget it" especially when the bike sees little use, don't be fooled.

Thanks for visiting my website: www.freewheelspa.com

Likes For pastorbobnlnh:
Old 09-02-21, 06:02 AM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3801 Post(s)
Liked 6,618 Times in 2,594 Posts
This is C&V, so how about whale oil?
Old 09-02-21, 06:32 AM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales & a Super Pro Aero Lotus (* Ed.)

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 1451 Post(s)
Liked 2,183 Times in 960 Posts
Originally Posted by nlerner
This is C&V, so how about whale oil?
Whale Oil + Goats Milk Soap = 100% Organic Grease (not vegan, of course)

Thanks for visiting my website: www.freewheelspa.com

Likes For pastorbobnlnh:
Old 09-02-21, 06:59 AM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 566 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 403 Posts
You asked for best practice and all but "grease is grease" above is excellent practice. I come from industrial maintenance and if you ride in or store in the wet, and probably still overkill, marine grade anti-seize like this can not be beat:
https://www.amazon.com/Loctite-29917...0587073&sr=8-3
Old 09-02-21, 07:21 AM
tkamd73 

Bikes: 1984 Schwinn Supersport, 1988 Trek 400T, 1977 Trek TX900, 1982 Bianchi Champione del Mondo, 1978 Raleigh Supercourse, 1986 Trek 400 Elance, 1991 Waterford PDG OS Paramount, 1971 Schwinn Sports Tourer, 1985 Trek 670

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 603 Post(s)
Liked 1,061 Times in 533 Posts
Loctite silver anti-seize
Tim
Old 09-02-21, 07:31 AM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 526 Posts
I typically use anti-seize from the jar I bought 30 years ago and have no hope of using up in my lifetime. If I'm too lazy to walk from my shop to the garage to get it, I'll opt for the tube of Park grease that's at hand. Personally, I think that any sort of grease will ease the next removal. In my volunteer work at our local co-op, I've removed dozens of freewheels from neglected bikes over the last few years. Some are definitely a challenge, requiring one person (sometimes 2) to hold the wheel, while another applies torque with an 8 ft breaker bar. This has never failed or resulted in hub damage, though it is fun to watch.
Likes For Moe Zhoost:
Old 09-02-21, 08:00 AM
sloar 

Bikes: they change so much I'm tired of updating this

Mentioned: 168 Post(s)
Quoted: 1212 Post(s)
Liked 1,126 Times in 426 Posts
I like using marine grease, I seem to get caught in the rain a lot.
Old 09-02-21, 08:23 AM
KenNC

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 63 Posts
Originally Posted by easyupbug
You asked for best practice and all but "grease is grease" above is excellent practice. I come from industrial maintenance and if you ride in or store in the wet, and probably still overkill, marine grade anti-seize like this can not be beat:
https://www.amazon.com/Loctite-29917...0587073&sr=8-3
Thanks, I think I'll go with this. The Atom drum brake hub will require more frequent service, or at least more frequent monitoring/inspection, than most so I want to be extra cautious. Appreciate the recommendation!
Old 09-02-21, 10:31 AM
Ronsonic 

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 41 Posts
A couple of things about this whole grease topic which is near and dear to my geekish heart:
Grease is an engineered substance. As pointed out earlier it is not just a super-thick oil like vaseline.
Not all greases are compatible with each other. I work on a lot of old turntables and record changers. Their main failure mode is that the grease and oil turns into tar and varnish. A lot of them have had previous repair consisting of some guy slathering fresh grease on top of the old. This "works" well enough that he gets it out of the shop. The problem is that the combination usually produces rust and corrosion in addition to the new grease having dried out before it gets to me.

TLDR: Remove all old grease before lubricating with fresh grease. Always.

Most greases are good enough for this stuff. I like pretty white lithium greases. Ace Hardware puts up nice little tubes. The white grease will show if your work isn't clean.

Been experimenting with Lucas Red & Sticky for bike stuff lately and think I like it.
Old 09-02-21, 11:10 AM
Erzulis Boat 
Le Crocodile

Quoted: 367 Post(s)
Liked 771 Times in 311 Posts
I use "Super Lube" grease. Not only do I have access to as much as I want, it works great on just about anything.

I own a design/manufacturing facility, and I have to specify down to the last "ingredient" what is used in one of our designs for military contracts. I was using Phil's to lubricate the steel on steel on an optical interface unit (because that is what I had on hand during the prototype/submission phase) so the initial shipment was spec'd for the stuff. The end user (US Army) was like "what is that?" so I then spec'd Super Lube. After years of Super Lube we have found that it is truly a fantastic product under real world conditions.

Grease is grease..................to a point.
Likes For Erzulis Boat:
Old 09-02-21, 12:21 PM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Bikes: '83 univega gran turismo x2, '85 schwinn super le tour,'89 miyata triple cross, '91 GT tequesta, '90 yokota grizzly peak, '94 GT backwoods, '95'ish scott tampico, '98 bonty privateer, '93 mongoose crossway 625, '98 parkpre ariel, 2k'ish giant fcr3

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 919 Post(s)
Liked 745 Times in 546 Posts
Originally Posted by onyerleft
Grease is grease is grease is grease.
so, grease is the word? it's got groove? it's got meaning? is grease the way you are feeling?
Likes For thook:
Old 09-02-21, 01:33 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3854 Post(s)
Liked 6,448 Times in 3,188 Posts
Originally Posted by Ronsonic
I like pretty white lithium greases. Ace Hardware...
Me too. And it looks very Campañola.
Old 09-02-21, 02:05 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 949 Post(s)
Liked 1,617 Times in 1,038 Posts
I have simplified my stock of POL in the house. I use Automatic Transmission Fluid for cleaning. Chain saw oil for lubricating chains. 40wt Castrol in the oil can. Marine Grease for all my grease.

Prematex Anti Size compound for parts I want to take apart latter.

Old 09-02-21, 02:59 PM
Ex Pres 
Cat 6

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 183 Times in 118 Posts
If it doesn't move, I use anti-seize.

If it moves or spins, grease goes in.
Likes For Ex Pres:
Old 09-02-21, 04:28 PM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2607 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 932 Posts
Originally Posted by Ex Pres
If it doesn't move, I use anti-seize.

If it moves or spins, grease goes in.
If it doesn't move and it's supposed to- WD-40.

If it moves and it not supposed to Duck tape.

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Likes For The Golden Boy:
Old 09-02-21, 04:30 PM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2607 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 932 Posts
How is the Park grease?

I used to use the Phil grease, then a thing of Mobile One grease, then a little squeezy tube of the Park grease.

It seems much easier to clean up than either the Phil or Mobile One.

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Old 09-02-21, 09:40 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 949 Post(s)
Liked 1,617 Times in 1,038 Posts

Old 09-02-21, 10:03 PM
P!N20

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 1077 Post(s)
Liked 1,891 Times in 928 Posts
Only the finest DOC extra virgin olive oil for my Pinarello.

Rock N Roll Red Devil for everything else.
Likes For P!N20:
Old 09-03-21, 02:28 AM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 870 Post(s)
Liked 2,264 Times in 1,268 Posts
As has been mentioned, in this application I would use never seize assembly grease in wet environments or assembly lube like Vaseline in dry climates. In Southern California I have not had a FW lock on the hub before, even after several years of use. I live on a hill so my bikes see a fair amount of climbing.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.