Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

raleigh record - any good?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-06, 03:34 PM
bluespenny

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Mulling over a $10 Raleligh Record, circa 1977 with suntour gears. Decent shape, but space in my bike shed is limited. Are these a dime a dozen, and are they worth the effort of fixing up?
Old 01-30-06, 03:37 PM
lala
contrarian

Bikes: 80's ross road bike/commuter, 80's team miyata, 90's haro mtb xtracycle conversion, koga mitaya world traveler

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think so: esp if your are fixing/SSing.
Old 01-30-06, 04:32 PM
mpfgc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I grabbed one with the Suntour components on it for $15 last spring. It needed new tires & normal cable adjustments, and I've put about 1,5000 miles on it since then - completely trouble free - until a spoke broke last week.
Old 01-30-06, 06:25 PM
Rabid Koala
Chrome Freak

Bikes: 71 Chrome Paramount P13-9, 73 Opaque Blue Paramount P15, 74 Blue Mink Raleigh Pro, 91 Waterford Paramount, Holland Titanium x2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 14 Posts
The Raleigh Record was the lowest in the line. In the sixties and seventies at least, it and the Grand Prix used Raleigh's proprietary threading in the bottom bracket. Essentially, it was a Raleigh three-speed frame.

Good, but not spectacular. Certainly worth $10!
Old 01-31-06, 06:24 AM
kranz

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Absolutely everything on the record was made of steel. Quite heavy.
Old 01-31-06, 06:43 AM
kranz

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I should also mention that the fork on the record was of poor quality. My wife insists on riding her record from the 70s. While doing maintenance on it, I noticed that the steerer tube was bent. So I picked up another record cheap, just to scavange the fork off of it for a replacement. Well guess what, the steerer tube on that fork was bent the same way. I finally replaced the fork with a Tange.
Old 01-31-06, 08:49 PM
CdnPeugeot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
this is a poor pic of a record on craiglist(sorry, wrong thread) but looks like a tuneup & straight bar change for an instant commuter $80Cdn.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
ral rec $80.jpg (11.0 KB, 488 views)
Old 01-31-06, 11:30 PM
mswantak
Glutton for Punishment

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Rabid Koala
Essentially, it was a Raleigh three-speed frame.
Actually, they shared a frame with the Sprite 27.
Old 02-01-06, 06:38 AM
tozovr
Slanky

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is too funny...I just PM'd Cuda about a local Record yesterday LOL....while a nice bike, they are heavy...further searching onmy part revealed more HEAVY comments.
Old 02-01-06, 07:35 AM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1491 Post(s)
Liked 1,090 Times in 638 Posts
With the exception of one of the years in the '70's when it was made of 531 tubing, the Record was Raleigh's entry level offering. If you want something that is lighter, appropriate for sport touring, and inexpensive, I think you'd be better off looking for a Grand Prix.
Old 02-01-06, 09:12 AM
mswantak
Glutton for Punishment

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Well, a GP isn't appreciably lighter; it had an alloy stem to the Record's steel, but otherwise similar componentry.

The GP does have the mystique of being built by Carlton though. And groovy wraparound seatstays.
Old 02-01-06, 09:49 AM
Rabid Koala
Chrome Freak

Bikes: 71 Chrome Paramount P13-9, 73 Opaque Blue Paramount P15, 74 Blue Mink Raleigh Pro, 91 Waterford Paramount, Holland Titanium x2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by mswantak
Actually, they shared a frame with the Sprite 27.
That wasn't the first time I was wrong. I stand corrected.
Old 02-01-06, 10:22 AM
CdnPeugeot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
USAZorro
Señor Member

Location: Mechanicsburg, PA With the exception of one of the years in the '70's when it was made of 531 tubing, the Record was Raleigh's entry level offering. If you want something that is lighter, appropriate for sport touring, and inexpensive, I think you'd be better off looking for a Grand Prix.
what did they call the regular entry level steel, & was it labelled on a sticker? was it heavier than say the entry level materials used by their comp?(ie schwinn, peugeot carbolite, etc?)
Old 02-01-06, 10:32 AM
mswantak
Glutton for Punishment

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
In '77 that would've been TI-Raleigh 20-30 high-tensile steel. About the same as the competition's hi-ten; not bad stuff, just a couple pounds heavier than 531.
Old 02-01-06, 11:01 AM
CdnPeugeot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
oh, okay. found this on sheldons retroraleighs page. reynolds 531 vs. raleigh 2010:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
16-76-features.jpg (10.3 KB, 420 views)
Old 02-01-06, 12:27 PM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1491 Post(s)
Liked 1,090 Times in 638 Posts
Originally Posted by CdnPeugeot
what did they call the regular entry level steel, & was it labelled on a sticker? was it heavier than say the entry level materials used by their comp?(ie schwinn, peugeot carbolite, etc?)
I believe the weight is comparable to Peugeot, and a bit lighter than Schwinn.
Old 02-01-06, 01:36 PM
SirMike1983 
On the road

Bikes: Old Schwinns and old Raleighs

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 373 Post(s)
Liked 847 Times in 323 Posts
Originally Posted by mswantak
In '77 that would've been TI-Raleigh 20-30 high-tensile steel. About the same as the competition's hi-ten; not bad stuff, just a couple pounds heavier than 531.

I tend to agree. It is somewhat heavier, but still a good quality material. I've had several Raleighs of various types, and the steel quality in the frames has been rock solid.
Old 02-03-06, 05:47 PM
Blue Order

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
My first adult bike was a 1971 Raleigh Record that my father bought for me when I was 15. I have sentimental feelings about it because it was my first 10 speed, but realistically, it was crap. The chain was always rubbing on the chainstay, and couldn't be fixed, apparently. When I shifted, the chain would invariably come off the chainring, ususally lodging between th big and the small ring, which necessitated me getting off the bike to dislodge the chain. Still, I rode that bike everywhere for 6 years, until I finally got tired of the problems; one day, I went into a bike shop, said I was looking for a commuter, and walked out with a brand new 1977 Motobecane Grand Touring. The difference in quality was palpable. The Moto shifted properly, no chainstay problem, and the bike was noticeably lighter.

I sold the Raleigh to a friend for $20, much to my mother's chagrine. I still have the Motobecane. For sentimental reasons, I'd like another Raleigh, but it won't be a Record.
Old 02-03-06, 09:22 PM
roccobike
Bike Junkie

Location: South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Roubaix, Giant OCR-C, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 84 Nishiki Medalist

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by USAZorro
I believe the weight is comparable to Peugeot, and a bit lighter than Schwinn.
I read the posts on this thread yesterday, but decided not to respond until I had my facts straight. I own a 74 Record so I am a bit biased. I decided to quote the post that I agreed with. There were some other comments well, I'll just state what I know. The mid 70's Record weighs in at 28.5 lbs., that figure is +/- 0.5 lbs. Not exactly a lightweight, but much lighter than the Schwinn Continentals that weigh in at 36 lbs. or the much more expensive Le Tours that weigh in over 30 lbs. (at least my Le tour did). Also, from the mid 70's on, the Record had an Aluminum stem, handlebars and all brake components, not steel as was previously stated. As for being an entry level bike, it is true the Record was the least expensive of the Raleigh 10 speeds that had a Raleigh name plate in the 70's. But it was not the least expensive 10 speed in the line up. To be competitive with less expensive brands, in the mid to late 70's Raleigh marketed the Rampar, a slightly heavier, less expensive bike. The first level of the 10 speeds Raleigh deemed good enough to wear the Raleigh badge was the Record. Oh, by the way, I never had a problem with my chain hitting the stay, my chain stay still has the original decal and paint, untouched.
bluespenny, if I found a Record in running condition with a frame size I could use, for $10 I would buy it without hesitation. I like Schwinns, Fujis and Peugeots and I will probably buy one for my son this Garage Sale season. That will only be true because I have not been able to find a single Raleigh Record at garage sales.
Old 02-04-06, 05:35 AM
Pompiere

Bikes: 1984 Miyata 310, 1986 Schwinn Sierra, 2011 Jamis Quest, 1980 Peugeot TH8 Tandem, 1992 Performance Parabola, 1987 Ross Mt. Hood, 1988 Schwinn LeTour, 1988 Trek 400T, 1981 Fuji S12-S LTD, 197? FW Evans

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Liked 1,000 Times in 513 Posts
When did Raleigh start making the Record in Taiwan? I picked one up at a yard sale last year for $3 to fix for my daughter. It is a girl's frame, silver with blue trim, and Suntour components.
Old 02-04-06, 08:13 AM
sykerocker 

Bikes: The keepers: 1958 Raleigh Lenton Grand Prix, 1968 Ranger, 1969 Magneet Sprint, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1973 Raleigh Tourist, 3 - 1986 Rossins, and a '77 PX-10 frame in process.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 129 Posts
OK, I see it from another point of view: For the base level bike, the Record was one of the better choices out there. Quality was certainly better than just about anything mainland European offered at the same price point. The '77 was the upgraded one - prior to that you were dealing with a steel cottered crank (good quality but heavy) and Huret Allvit derailleurs (complete bloody crap).

Yeah, the Gran Prix was better, but only marginally - chrome front fork and (earlier) better derailleurs, plus quick releases.

Ten bucks? Assuming I find one like that at Westchester tomorrow, it'll be out of there so fast the dealer will have blisters on his fingers from handing it over to me.

Syke
Deranged Few M/C
Old 02-04-06, 07:02 PM
roccobike
Bike Junkie

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Roubaix, Giant OCR-C, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 84 Nishiki Medalist

Originally Posted by sykerocker
OK, I see it from another point of view: For the base level bike, the Record was one of the better choices out there. Quality was certainly better than just about anything mainland European offered at the same price point. The '77 was the upgraded one - prior to that you were dealing with a steel cottered crank (good quality but heavy) and Huret Allvit derailleurs (complete bloody crap).
Thanks for reminding me about the Huret Allvit deraileur. I don't think I could describe how bad it is any better than you did without the mods changing my words. Suffice it to say, the Huret is certainly the weak point of the Record, no argument. That's why it's better to find a newer Record because they switched to Shimano or Suntour depending on the model Record and year. Your comment about the crank is correct too, but again newer Records went to cotterless cranks. I can't tell you when the changes were made, but I know that they were implemented by 1978.
Old 02-04-06, 07:08 PM
roccobike
Bike Junkie

Originally Posted by roccobike
Ibluespenny, if I found a Record in running condition with a frame size I could use, for $10 I would buy it without hesitation. I like Schwinns, Fujis and Peugeots and I will probably buy one for my son this Garage Sale season. That will only be true because I have not been able to find a single Raleigh Record at garage sales.
Wow, I posted this yesterday, and today I purchased a Schwinn 10 speed at a garage sale for my son! Can I have ketchup on that plate of Crow I might have to eat?
Old 02-04-06, 07:23 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 2421 Post(s)
Liked 4,390 Times in 2,092 Posts
Originally Posted by sykerocker
Yeah, the Gran Prix was better, but only marginally - chrome front fork and (earlier) better derailleurs, plus quick releases.
Sorry, I can't agree with you that the Simplex delrin derailers used on the Grand Prix were any better then the Huret junk. Sure, the Simplex rear worked better then the Huret, but what's the point if the front splits in two?

Are you sure that you meant the Grand Prix model, and not the Gran Sport?

Then again, the Gran Sport used the Simplex system as well, although I believe they switched to SunTour in '75 or '76.

Take care,

-Kurt

Old 02-04-06, 08:15 PM
sykerocker 

Bikes: The keepers: 1958 Raleigh Lenton Grand Prix, 1968 Ranger, 1969 Magneet Sprint, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1973 Raleigh Tourist, 3 - 1986 Rossins, and a '77 PX-10 frame in process.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 129 Posts
Originally Posted by cudak888
Sorry, I can't agree with you that the Simplex delrin derailers used on the Grand Prix were any better then the Huret junk. Sure, the Simplex rear worked better then the Huret, but what's the point if the front splits in two?

Are you sure that you meant the Grand Prix model, and not the Gran Sport?

Then again, the Gran Sport used the Simplex system as well, although I believe they switched to SunTour in '75 or '76.

Take care,

-Kurt
I always considered the Simplex Prestige the best cheap derailleur available before the Sun Tour and Shimano upset the apple cart - even if you did have to figure on a maximum two year life span. You just budgeted for an extra derailleur and pedaled along happily. I'll still use a Simplex on a vintage bike today although, not surprisingly, I have one hell of a hard time finding them.

By the way, in all the time I spent riding with the Presque Isle (Erie, PA) Bicycle Club back then, I only knew of one Simplex front that failed from fatigue during normal use. Usually it was someone going down on the right side wiping out the rear. You ended up replacing the rears every two years because they wore and got sloppy. Or, by the mid-70's, you replaced it with a Sun Tour.

As to the Gran Sport - now that, to me, was a very late revelation (like about six months ago). Back in the seventies, all that was popularly available in my area if you wanted Campagnolo was either the Valentino and it's long cage derivitive (I considered them a better shifting Allvit, although I did like them and have a set in the box in the shop right now for a future project) and then the Record/Nuevo Record (which was unobtanium unless you could sell your girlfriend). I never knew of anyone who ran a Gran Sport on a new-ish bike. Right now, my only bicycle is a 1962 Raleigh Gran Sport, and I absolutely love that derailleur. If they would have been around more 35 years ago, I'd have never gotten infatuated with Simplex.

My understanding of Raleigh going with Japanese components was the 1977 model year. My least year working in the bike shop was '75, and I still hung around the place the following year, where cottered cranks ruled the cheap lines. By '77 I'd dropped out and never saw a Sugino/Sun Tour equipped Record or Gran Prix except in some catalogs run on the internet years later. In fact, when I picked up my Gran Sport, originally I thought I'd gotten a late 70's cheap Raleigh, as I attempted to figure out the difference in components.

Syke
Deranged Few M/C

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.