Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Winter Cycling
Reload this Page >

Winter clothing guide??

Notices
Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

Winter clothing guide??

Old 03-14-06, 03:43 PM
ken cummings

Bikes: Bruce Gordon BLT, Cannondale parts bike, Ecodyne recumbent trike, Counterpoint Opus 2, miyata 1000

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The thread may have been titles Winter clothing guide but it could have been All Season clothing guide. Slvoid went up to 115 - 130 + degrees. I worked on Death Valley - The Hot Ride several years ago. In mid
August. The ride started at 7PM after full dark and the temperature was 117 degrees. It dropped to 98 degrees by sunrise the next morning when we had just sagged the last rider off of the 100 mile ride. Half the people did not finish. Every one was fit enough for normal temperatures but most had not specifically adapted their bodies for the heat. I was only riding the 19 miles to Badwater and had to quit at 12 miles.
In deep mining operations the death rate for heavy exercise jumped when the wet bulb temp went over 83 degrees. If it is humid and hot slow way down or just stop. If you must bike hard during extreme heat conditions have a support crew that stuffs terrycloth covered bags of ice under your jersey. With spring and summer coming it is something to think about.
Old 03-27-06, 04:18 PM
jimn
Junior Mint

Bikes: https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimn/

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 3 Posts
I have been keeping a record of what works and what does not. This is for about a 1.5 hour ride.
Old 09-03-06, 05:45 PM
bentstrider
Lean, neat and eat meat!!

Bikes: Trek 800 Sport and an old Sears beach cruiser

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When I hit my first winter commute here in the desert, the temp usually was 50-60F degrees in the day, and 20-30F degrees at night.
I usually wore long johns underneath some cargo pants with pant-ends tucked into combat boots, or held back with paper clips.
Socks were mainly two pairs of regular whites and over my work shirt was hooded sweat jacket and then a nylon, medium-thickness windbreaker over the top.
Light snowboarding gloves were worn on my hands and either an OD green balaclava or black watchcap/beanie was worn on the head depending on conditions.
Since I'm going to be driving a truck as a job for a little while, I was now thinking of getting a cold weather jumpsuit for training/fitness rides while out on the road.
I usually got to a gym to do all my training, but the bicycle and a small weight set will be my only alternative if I'm on a layover/10 hour break in the middle of nowhere.
Old 09-15-06, 10:43 PM
pfe

Bikes: 2006 Bianchi Pista & 1979 Bavaria Touring Bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What do you do about your eyes? I ride to work sometimes at 3 or 4am when it is still dark and freezing. I could swear my tears freeze over...
Old 09-24-06, 08:47 PM
Hezz

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Try downhill mountain bike racing goggles with a clear lens. They will keep your eyes, forehead and nose a lot warmer buy blocking the wind and the foam sealer keeps the cold out plus warms whatever it rests on.
Old 10-28-06, 10:41 AM
Svegan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use the Toe Gloze walker, to strap on over my shoes, for the mountain biking when I vacation in Colorado. Water resistant, with a velcro strap around my shoes, with a Heat Max warmer tucked inside. Work very well, and reasonably easy, even to peddle with. Never had them slip off, even on hard core use. Website is https://www.toegloze.com
Old 11-03-06, 07:27 AM
tandemonium
Singletrack rider(s)

Bikes: 'dale MT800 tandem still factory stock, Specialized Enduro FS single, factory stock except for Talas up front

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have to dress warmer for road and open terrain rides as compared to riding within wooded areas. Even near 32*F one can generate a substantial amount of heat that may need to be vented when climbing hills. Check out https://www.compufind.com/bike/winter.html for some ideas
Old 12-08-06, 12:00 PM
iamarapgod
via hiptop

Bikes: wooden lightning, cyclepro conversion, varsity beater, nishiki conversion, fuji conversion

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
knit brimmed cap, bandana over face, whifebeater, t shirt, sweatshirt, american apparel tyvek windbreaker, smartwools, long soccer socks, thermal underwear, polyester slacks, and waterproofed asics. pretty comfy at 21 degreees yesterday.
Old 12-27-06, 04:15 PM
xkevinx
bike punk

Bikes: a unknown road bike, and a ross mountain bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Last winter I was delivering for a vegan pizza place in phila. i started in January. I can't remember if it rained or snowed alot last year but i was not prepared.

what was my Armor?

Tight black jeans
a pair of sewn up jogging pants
two to three t-shirt
two hoddies
a pair of chuck Taylors
double up tube socks
polyester gloves
a baseball cap with a minor threat patch on it

the first day was nothing but raining. My chuck were always wet and my hands cold. i was in heaven when the weather started to change.

I'm starting a new courier job this January and I'm not going to get beat by the winter this year.

for the wet days

shoes:
-sock
-bag
-sock
-chuck (i like them)

I getting some rain outwear. Two different bike jersey switch on and off with. Thermal top and bottom. waterproof gloves.
I think I'll be good.
Old 03-17-07, 09:48 AM
James H Haury
Hauja

Bikes: not as many but still too many

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wool.
Old 08-21-07, 11:43 AM
awanabug
awanabug

Bikes: 1976 Pugeot road bike with potatochipped wheels, '98 Huffy MTB with bad wheel, '2000 Mongoose hybrid with bad shifters & my newest ont, '73 Nishiki road bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Winter Wear

Seems like there's a lot of really neat stuff out there that fills all sorts of needs. Perhaps I'm too tight, but I have a hard time parting with the $$ for most of it.

I wear swim trunks (they dry pretty quick) t-shirt, mesh vest with reflective stripes (for dark visibility) over a bright yellow windbreaker (for visibility), basketball shoes with lots of reflective areas (visibility in the dark), sweat band & helmet all year. Above 85 degrees, I don't use the jacket. Below 50, I add thin gloves Below 40, I add workout pants, an ear band instead of sweatband under the helmet and add ski gloves. Around 30 I add a sweatshirt. around 20 I add mittens over the ski gloves and a home made face mask. About 10 or so I add home made toe caps and sweat pants under the workout pants. Around zero, I add another homemade layer of plastic foam over the mittens. It rarely gets colder than -5 here, but in 1994 (I think) it was -25 and I survived. The absolute worst is when it is right at freezing, riding into a stiff headwind around 30 or 40 mph and it is drizzling. Think March.

It has been working well for me for about 10 years of winter commuting 12 miles each way in Dayton, OH. I must admit I do look at catalogs and online stuff sometimes, but to pay $200 for a pair of shoes, I just think: Naaaaahh. Don't really need it. What I have works fine. After 50 plus years of riding a bike, Yeah, that's neat stuff they sell, and if someone gave it to me, I'd wear it till it wore out, but I'm not competing in races with my livelihood on the line, so I'll just use what I've got. It does the job.
Old 10-08-07, 04:45 PM
scoatw

Bikes: 96 gary fisher 'utopia' : 99 Softride 'Norwester'(for sale), 1972 Raleigh Twenty. Surly 1x1 converted to 1x8, 96 Turner Burner

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I look for stuff on sale. If ain't on sale, I don't buy it. Doing a search for items helps me find the cheapest one. Thrift stores sometimes have good stuff also. Performancebike.com has good sales. Sierra Trading Post has good stuff at good prices. Look at their Outerwear. I just got a $250 Sporthill get-up for less than 50%. They have thermal underwear, etc for $10-$15.
Old 10-08-07, 10:21 PM
mazpr
Banned.

Bikes: Tirreno Razza 900, Trek 750

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am originally from the Caribbean so any weather between 40 and 55 I freeze badly.

Cant stand the cold chill winds here in the north of Cali, winds sometimes is very strong depending on the west coast storms and currents. Its not the temperature that kills me, but the cold freezing winds that numbs all the joints and face.

Its my first time cycling on cold weather so its I am on the adaptability stage at this time. I do not want to buy a cyclops trainers so I will do my best to stay away from cycling indoors. It seems the weather is aggressive here in the north area as other veteran group riders complain about the winter. I have talked to a few from the santarosa club which shared they do not cycle at all, hit the gym during the winter or just use the cycle indoor trainer.

I read all the postings and is very informative. The one thing I am having a hard time putting on is the light skin balaclava. It does work as I tested it in front of my house real quick making sure the neighbors were not looking and it does work. It just makes me feel kinda of a freak, I dont know... I have no problem with the boots, leg warmers, shorts (those took a while to get use to), but the mask its a tough one.
Old 11-12-07, 08:15 PM
scoatw

Bikes: 96 gary fisher 'utopia' : 99 Softride 'Norwester'(for sale), 1972 Raleigh Twenty. Surly 1x1 converted to 1x8, 96 Turner Burner

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Hey everyone. I was just up at Dick's Sporting Goods just looking around. They had they're winter gloves out. Some looked pretty nice. Over in the Hunting Dept. they had some nice Flip-top mittens made of wool blend with thinsulate liners. I tried them on and were they warm. $9.99. They also had a nice selection of Man***** gloves. Of course in the snowboard section they had all kinds of balaclavas and neoprene face masks, nicely priced. They had a good selection of all kinds of wool and blended socks. Merino wool, $8.99. Polypropylene blend $8.99. Don't forget to check out discount Dept. stores, Ski shops, and of course your local thrift store to find good bargains on Winter clothing. You don't have to go to Bike shops and buy their over-priced stuff that you probably wished you hadn't bought, to get thru the winter. LL Bean and Lands End offer free shipping. I take advantage of deals like that.
Old 11-13-07, 08:07 AM
stidle

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Growing up in Western PA, you get accustomed to the extreme cold from a young age. I can ride pretty comfortably without gloves until it's about 35 degrees outside (yes, you can laugh all the way to the ER when it turns out I've got frostbite in a week or two)...Even so, riding in thick snow and 15-degree temps is going to be new to me this year. This month's Urban Velo gives some tips worth checking out: https://www.urbanvelo.org
Old 12-10-07, 02:34 PM
josephjhaney

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
I'd rather be too warm that too cold, I can unzip my coat and be cooler in a few seconds, but if I under-dress getting warmer halfway into the ride is not easy.

The base layer that I start with come october or so is-

Skinsuit of choice (I buy these cause they are about 1/2 the price of a good jersey, and they last me about 2 years or so for the most part, I currently have one for each day of the week, and when they start to wear I hit Ebay and start looking for any that are under 40 bucks with shipping, it usually only takes a week or so till I have the one that's wearing out replaced)

Windfront Tights - Nike
Polypro balaclava
full finger gloves
shoe covers

Then when it drops to the 30's / 40's
I add Columbia jacket
Arm warmers
Ski pants

Then below 30

Columbia jacket liner
windproof balaclava
100G thinsulate gloves

So far I have ridden down to 16 F, my pinkies got cold, but that was about it, so I am trying a pair of heated gloves hoping they will take care of that issue.

I have vowed to not pack on 20+ Lbs this year like I did last year during these months, so far I'm up about 3 lbs, but with only two weeks to go till Christmas, I think I'll be ok as long as I stay on the Pedals.

Joe
Old 12-19-07, 12:57 PM
jwill911
Riding is my addiction

Bikes: 2017 Orbea Orca,'06 Orbea Opal, 2019 Trek Checkpoint SL6

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Winter tights and jacket help deciding

I'm looking at buying some winter / wind tights and a winter jacket.

I live in No. California and ride ~27 miles one way to work a couple of days a week. Lowest temperatures in the low to mid 30 usually mid 40s (I know not cold compared to east and north) so extreme gear is not necessary. I'm looking at a couple of items and would like to opinions on from those with experience. I've been layering and using a Pearl Izumi shell which is a good wind blocker but doesn't breath so it is like wearing a plastic bag = really wet after a hard 27 mile ride.
Tights
1 - Pearl Izumi AmFib Tights
2 - Castelli Kiss Wind Bike Tights
3 - Castelli Primo Tights
4 - Gore Vista Bike Tights
Jackets
1 - Craft WindStopper Thermal
2 - Castelli Solo Jacket
3 - Pearl Izumi Gavia Jacket
Any other decent suggestions for a (road) bike specific mid weight breathable jacket I haven't thought of would be appreciated.

Thanks,
jw
Old 09-15-08, 11:24 PM
Kenay

Bikes: Trek 1.2 2008, and Specialized Mtn Bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am with Harry-wool. Though this will be my first winter commuting.

How about the good ole' ski mask. I know it makes me look like a terrist-but it works for skiing. Why double up on the ears if you have a solid whole head ski mask?
Old 09-25-08, 01:20 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 150 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6147 Post(s)
Liked 4,092 Times in 2,325 Posts
Originally Posted by Kenay

How about the good ole' ski mask. I know it makes me look like a terrist-but it works for skiing. Why double up on the ears if you have a solid whole head ski mask?
Wait until you try to put it into practice Bicycling isn't skiing...at least not downhill. Bicycling is much closer to cross country skiing where you are constantly generating heat and need to manage it. A full face mask will often lead to fully fogged glasses when you have to stop. I use them but I never cover my mouth and nose. If I do, I often can't keep my glasses clear even when riding.

As for doubling up on the ears, the air flow from a helmet and from moving quickly through cold air puts a real chill on your ears. Just wait...you'll see
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 10-13-08, 09:58 AM
ironglen

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What about cold where it counts?

When biking, I like to travel light, as I read many of you do. If its cold, yet dry, I can ride with windblocking top, shorts, leg warmers, but the air blasts you know where...a jewel warmer does the trick! Check it out at https://www.jewelwarmer.com
Old 11-01-08, 10:25 AM
Gonzlobo
Red light runner

Bikes: Seven Sola

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Meh, you don't need a jewelwarmer. I always carry my headband, skull cap and my balaclava when winter riding. When I'm wearing my balaclava, just I stuff the skull cap in my shorts. Gross, huh.
Old 12-16-08, 09:39 PM
sknhgy 
Dirt Bomb

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 5393 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 230 Posts
I found some excellent pants at Bass Pro Shop. They are ski pants or skiboarding pants made by Columbia. They're synthetic, black, with zippered side pockets and one cargo pocket up front. They're light, warm, and comfortable. They were marked down from $90 to around $60, and worth every penny.
Old 12-24-08, 05:58 AM
bariswheel

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is great. Thanks for posting.
Old 12-24-08, 09:19 AM
beeftech

Bikes: Bianchi San Jose, fixed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jwill911
I'm looking at buying some winter / wind tights and a winter jacket.

I live in No. California and ride ~27 miles one way to work a couple of days a week. Lowest temperatures in the low to mid 30 usually mid 40s (I know not cold compared to east and north) so extreme gear is not necessary. I'm looking at a couple of items and would like to opinions on from those with experience. I've been layering and using a Pearl Izumi shell which is a good wind blocker but doesn't breath so it is like wearing a plastic bag = really wet after a hard 27 mile ride.
Tights
1 - Pearl Izumi AmFib Tights
2 - Castelli Kiss Wind Bike Tights
3 - Castelli Primo Tights
4 - Gore Vista Bike Tights
Jackets
1 - Craft WindStopper Thermal
2 - Castelli Solo Jacket
3 - Pearl Izumi Gavia Jacket
Any other decent suggestions for a (road) bike specific mid weight breathable jacket I haven't thought of would be appreciated.

Thanks,
jw
Just a sugestion coming from both Colorado and New York, where we have winters.
I cannot stand to wear my PI AmFibs at anything over 30.
I over heat like crazy. I think they would be much to warm for even you.
At those temps I'm still wearing stretch jeans.
Old 12-28-08, 09:34 AM
mc20001
mc20001

Bikes: Trek Portland, Trek 700, Diamondback, Vintage Trek

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
warm fingers

To keep my fingers comfortable I have been using the Pearl Izumi cyclone glove with a Craft split finger windproof shell (https://www.backcountry.com/store/CRA...171&mv_pc=r126). Today I went for a 1 hour ride in 9 degree (F) weather and they worked just fine. I know they work for me down to -15 degrees (F).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.