Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

considering entry level FS 29er

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-11, 02:49 PM
c_mack9

Bikes: 2013 Tarmac Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

i've been looking at the:
2011 spec. camber 29er elite for $1500
2011 trek hifi plus for $1700
and the 2012 scott spark 29 comp for $???

are there any other really good bikes that fit in this short travel, cross country type niche i should consider. money being of the essence, i need the best bang for the buck. i will not be upgrading this bike, so i need the best for the money in stock form. we dont have any mountains within about an 800 mile radius but we do have some pretty nice trails i would love to hit with my buds. i will not be racing this bike. i'm a roadie and this will be my first real mountain bike. what are your thoughts?

Last edited by c_mack9; 11-08-11 at 01:52 PM.
Old 11-07-11, 04:02 PM
atoms
Señor Member

Bikes: '86 Voyageur, '82 Voyageur SP FOR SALE, '88 Le Tour fixed Townie, 2011 Diamondback Overdrive 29er

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Why are you calling it "entry level" when you have a $1500 budget? "Entry Level" doesn't mean "the level at which I want to enter".
Old 11-07-11, 04:14 PM
3speed

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
^ Roadies are nuts like that? Their bikes do start at that price and go on up to $5,000 for a lot of them. Not talking the exception like in MTBing. Many of them have $5000 bikes it seems.

But yeah, OP, entry level MTBs start at, like, $500. You're looking for a nice bike and in that price range you don't really need to worry about much. Anything you get is going to be a sweet bike. Based on what you said, I would consider whether you need full suspension, though. Do you have lots of choppy, rocky trails around there? Drops? If it's mostly singletrack or smoother trails, especially on a 29er, you may well not need, or even want, a FS bike. You'd get more for your money on a hardtail and depending on how much uphill you plan to do versus how rough the terrain is, a hardtail may be better suited to your riding. A hardtail will climb a lot better and be lighter.

Last edited by 3speed; 11-07-11 at 04:18 PM.
Old 11-07-11, 04:30 PM
20inchesoflove
pedal pusher

Bikes: a whole lot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
thats entry level for that type of bike. also check out the 2012 superfly aluminum, thats replacing the hifi line up
Old 11-07-11, 04:37 PM
3speed

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
Meh. It's entry level in a sense. But that's kind of like saying you want an entry level sports car and are thinking of getting a Porche Boxter. Yeah, it's entry level for a Porche, but still not really an "entry level" sports car.

Last edited by 3speed; 11-07-11 at 04:42 PM.
Old 11-07-11, 04:41 PM
20inchesoflove
pedal pusher

Bikes: a whole lot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
no need to argue the definition of entry level, you have to spend at least 1500 to get a FS bike. that makes it entry level. sure he could go hardtail and save some coin for the same component spec, but you'd be hard pressed to find a more cost effective FS 29er that didn't simply fall apart.
Old 11-07-11, 05:30 PM
D-Fuzz

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 12 Posts
I am in sort of a similar situation, trying to choose between a Kona Kahuna Deluxe HT and a Kona Hei Hei FS. Both seem to be decent bikes, but the Kahuna is a couple hundred bucks less and has a better fork and component group. I guess that is the trade off for the FS. While I wouldn't call either bike entry level, is it better to get the better spec'ed HT? My riding terrain is similar to the OP.
Old 11-07-11, 05:45 PM
ed 

Bikes: Hecklah

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If you look at the title, it says entry level full suspension 29er. $1500 is entry level for such things.
Old 11-07-11, 05:47 PM
c_mack9

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
the kona hei hei was on chainlove hte other day for $1500, that was awfully tempting but everyone tells me to go 29er for sure. i guess by "entry level" i was refering to the lower cost options with full suspension and 29er. our trails are not smooth flowy around here. lots of tree roots and such. all my buds that ride suggest full suspension around here so i'll take their advice. any other suggestions other than the 3 i listed?
Old 11-07-11, 07:20 PM
Daspydyr 
Pedals, Paddles and Poles

Bikes: Santa Cruz Tallboy, Ridley Noah, Scott Spark 20

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1233 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 58 Posts
Scott Spark is a winner. That frame is sleek and "FAROUT DUDE!" But I am a Scott homer. Good rims and Fork.

I can't even find my bike when I'm on drugs. -Willie N.
Old 11-07-11, 07:50 PM
D-Fuzz

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by ed
If you look at the title, it says entry level full suspension 29er. $1500 is entry level for such things.
But is an "entry level" FS still a decent choice or do you need to spend over $2000 to get anything worthwhile? The Hei Hei, or any of the bikes the OP listed, seem like a decent bike, but I don't know much about the type of rear shocks they use.
Old 11-07-11, 08:51 PM
ed 

Bikes: Hecklah

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Listen man...if you can get a Camber 29 comp for $1500...I think you're doing just fine.
Old 11-07-11, 08:56 PM
c_mack9

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
but how about the trek for $200 more? they are both great deals no doubt whats the best bang for the buck? the hifi has better components and fork (from my understanding? could be wrong)
Old 11-07-11, 10:36 PM
J Pedals
Pizza

Bikes: Paramount Series 3 PDG-'91; Specialized Stumpjumper-'06; Trek 400-'92; Peugeot hybrid fixed gear conversion-late 80's?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If I'm looking at the right bikes, the Camber is a standout.

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/...cname=Mountain

https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes...hifi_plus_2011
Old 11-07-11, 11:00 PM
dsprehe89

Bikes: 2013 Stumpjumper HT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
OP, I don't know what trails you are planning on riding, but I've been down there a couple of times and ridden LBL's canal loop which is pretty close to you, and a 29er FS would pretty much fit that trail perfectly from what I remember (it's been quite a few years since I've ridden there). However, I wouldn't hesitate to ride those trails on a 26" rigid either. I currently own a 26" HT and plan on going back down next spring and camping and riding the trails on it. Is this your first time MTBing or are you looking to upgrade? You might also wanna consider an older used CL bike just to test the waters if this is your first time MTBing.

Also, just wanted to add, LBL's canal loop was the first 'real' mtb single track trail that I ever road and was what got me hooked back when I was like 15. It is a really great trail, just gotta keep your eye out for sticks, they will take our your RD in an instant (specially on that trail).
Old 11-07-11, 11:08 PM
Zephyr11
Pint-Sized Gnar Shredder

Bikes: '09 Jamis Komodo, '09 Mirraco Blend One, '08 Cervelo P2C, '08 Specialized Ruby Elite, '07 Yeti AS-R SL, '07 DMR Drone

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you can get the Camber Comp 29er for $1500, that's awesome. But at least ride it first, just in case. Someone could offer me a S-Works Safire for $1000 and it would do me no good (other than to sell it), just because that bike fits me like crap.
Old 11-08-11, 05:02 AM
jezmellors

Bikes: Colnago CX-1 Record 11sp. Carbon Epic expert 29er, Claud Butler Dalesman. Proflex X-px Works, Cougar 653. KHS Montana Pro, Hercules Alassio. Ammoco Monte Carlo F/SS. Corratec Superbow Fun 29er. Claud Butler Midas. Kenisis T2. Peugeot Perthus.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
+1 for the Spesh.
Old 11-08-11, 11:38 AM
c_mack9

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by J Pedals
i'm looking at teh 2011 camber, not 2012.
Originally Posted by dsprehe89
OP, I don't know what trails you are planning on riding, but I've been down there a couple of times and ridden LBL's canal loop which is pretty close to you, and a 29er FS would pretty much fit that trail perfectly from what I remember (it's been quite a few years since I've ridden there). However, I wouldn't hesitate to ride those trails on a 26" rigid either. I currently own a 26" HT and plan on going back down next spring and camping and riding the trails on it. Is this your first time MTBing or are you looking to upgrade? You might also wanna consider an older used CL bike just to test the waters if this is your first time MTBing.

Also, just wanted to add, LBL's canal loop was the first 'real' mtb single track trail that I ever road and was what got me hooked back when I was like 15. It is a really great trail, just gotta keep your eye out for sticks, they will take our your RD in an instant (specially on that trail).
exactly! the canal loop is what i will be riding mostly. there are some trails in southern illinois i will hit too but mostly LBL. thanks for your advice.
Originally Posted by Zephyr11
If you can get the Camber Comp 29er for $1500, that's awesome. But at least ride it first, just in case. Someone could offer me a S-Works Safire for $1000 and it would do me no good (other than to sell it), just because that bike fits me like crap.
test rides are not an option. the shops i will buy from do not have these bikes in stock. they are willing to order one for me if i decide i want one.
Originally Posted by jezmellors
+1 for the Spesh.
why? i'm a lot more familiar with road bike comparisons. what are the benefits of the camber over teh trek? isnt the fork and components better on the trek? is the trek not worth the extra $200? can anyone weight in on the scott spark? how are those components and suspension compared to the other 2 bikes i'm looking at? i need knowledge folks!
Old 11-08-11, 01:34 PM
SlimRider
Banned

Bikes: Raleigh Grand Prix, Giant Innova, Nishiki Sebring, Trek 7.5FX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would think that if you're just starting out MTN biking that a hardtail would be a good start, just to get your skill-level up. After you've outgrown your hardtail and feel as though you still want to be into MTN biking ( I'm certain that you will), then your next move up would be the FS.

Personally, I feel that it's a progression in terms of skill-level development:

Rigid Hardtail ---> Hardtail ---> FS

Starting with a Hardtail is good, but I personally wouldn't suggest starting with a FS.

But I digress..

These would be my personal suggestions:

Jamis Dakar XC Comp (26) ~ $1700 *(FS)

Jamis Dragon 29 Sport ~ $1350

Jamis Exile 29 Comp ~ $1100

- Slim

PS.

IDK...I just think you'll better appreciate a FS after first, riding a HT. You'll know better what to do with it!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
12_dakarxccomp.jpg (98.6 KB, 7 views)
12_dragon29sport.jpg (98.2 KB, 8 views)
12_exilecomp.jpg (98.9 KB, 8 views)

Last edited by SlimRider; 11-08-11 at 02:16 PM.
Old 11-08-11, 01:44 PM
J Pedals
Pizza

Bikes: Paramount Series 3 PDG-'91; Specialized Stumpjumper-'06; Trek 400-'92; Peugeot hybrid fixed gear conversion-late 80's?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by c_mack9
i'm looking at teh 2011 camber, not 2012.

Sorry, that's my mistake. I know the Specialized website launched their 2012 line a while ago, but I haven't used their site in a month or two. I can't even find the 2011 Camber Comp in 29 on their site. I'm of no help.
Old 11-08-11, 01:51 PM
c_mack9

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
whoops, its camber elite 29, yeah you have to google it to find it. here it is: https://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/...Id=0&gold_ses=
Old 11-08-11, 04:30 PM
dsprehe89

Bikes: 2013 Stumpjumper HT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by c_mack9
whoops, its camber elite 29, yeah you have to google it to find it. here it is: https://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/...Id=0&gold_ses=
If you can get that bike with all of those components for $1500 I say why isn't it in the mail already? (assuming it fits you well). At that price that is one heck of a deal. Seems to have a very good component set up, Elixer 3 brakes, Deore XT RD, Recon Gold fork. Seems like a great price to me. Just make sure it fits, even if that means testing this years model first (this years models geometry shouldn't be that different from last years and would at least give you an idea).
Old 11-08-11, 04:46 PM
Zephyr11
Pint-Sized Gnar Shredder

Bikes: '09 Jamis Komodo, '09 Mirraco Blend One, '08 Cervelo P2C, '08 Specialized Ruby Elite, '07 Yeti AS-R SL, '07 DMR Drone

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SlimRider
These would be my personal suggestions:

JAMIS PICTURE
JAMIS PICTURE
JAMIS PICTURE
Stop sucking up to Ed!

Originally Posted by SlimRider
IDK...I just think you'll better appreciate a FS after first, riding a HT. You'll know better what to do with it!
You can still learn to ride on a full-suspension bike.
Old 11-08-11, 05:12 PM
Hank244

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Forget the "full suspension" stuff. Get a Karate Monkey.
Old 11-08-11, 05:17 PM
SlimRider
Banned

Bikes: Raleigh Grand Prix, Giant Innova, Nishiki Sebring, Trek 7.5FX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Zephyr11 says:

Stop sucking up to Ed!
Hey there Zephyr!

You know, I hadn't really noticed what Ed said

You can still learn to ride on a full-suspension bike.
Yeah! However, I can never quite get used to going uphill..It always feels stranger going uphill with FS than just on a HT...

OTOH-It's always more fun going DH with FS though!

- Slim

Last edited by SlimRider; 11-08-11 at 05:24 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.