Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

I'm new and I want a bicycle

Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Old 11-20-11, 01:41 PM
Mr Jeff

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi, I'm new and I want a bicycle. I haven't had a bicycle in at least 10 years. It was a red Huffy. The wife and I went down to the local Specialized shop and then the Trek shop. The guys at the Specialized shop all seemed to be very serious about being serious, while the Trek guys just seemed happy. We didn't stay at the Specialized shop long.
We were looking at the mountain bike section at the Trek shop when the salesman walked up, sized me up, and pulled out a Marlin. The first thing I saw was the price tag, but I rode it around the block anyway. I've never been on a nice bicycle before. I really shouldn't/don't want to spend that much. I started searching online and see a lot of similar questions, but they're all dated 3+ years ago and it's all pretty general. I need to know if a Marlin is worth the money over a Wahoo or a closeout 2010 3700 they have for $328. Being that I haven't been on a bike in so long, I really don't think I would notice differences by going on a test ride around a block. All I could really think about while on the Marlin was "holy crap I'm on a bicycle again."
There are some never used, hardly maintained "walking trails" right by my house and then about a 20 minute walk there are mostly vacant dirtbike trails I plan to start riding on.
Old 11-20-11, 01:56 PM
danguskhan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It sounds like you are on the right track. Figure out your budget, goto all the local bike shops and ride every bike within your budget. Pick the one that feels best and that you think you ride the most.
You can save a lot of money on craigslist and internet shopping too but being a beginner you are probably better off to pay for the experience of the guys at the LBS.
Old 11-20-11, 02:06 PM
pablosnazzy

Bikes: rocky mountain SLAYER!!!! trek, voodoo, surly, spot, bianchi, ibis

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Right now, for you, fit is the most important thing to look for. Make sure the bicycle fits you and you are comfortable. If you like the Trek, you can get a great brand new Trek 3500 for less than $500 and it will do you quite well. the guys at the trek shop should be happy to order one for you. remember, YOU are paying the money, they should be happy to fulfill any reasonable request.
Old 11-20-11, 02:18 PM
Zephyr11
Pint-Sized Gnar Shredder

Bikes: '09 Jamis Komodo, '09 Mirraco Blend One, '08 Cervelo P2C, '08 Specialized Ruby Elite, '07 Yeti AS-R SL, '07 DMR Drone

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For reference:
2010 Trek 3700: https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/2010/archive/3700
2011 Fisher Wahoo: https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/2011/archive/wahoo
2011 Fisher Marlin: https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes...archive/marlin
2012 Fisher Wahoo: https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/colle..._sport/wahoo/#
2012 Fisher Marlin: https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/colle...sport/marlin/#

Were the Marlin and Wahoo 2011 or 2012 bikes? Because both the 2011 and 2012 Marlins are 29ers (29" wheels), while the 2011 Wahoo is a 26" and the 2012 Wahoo is a 29er. The 2010 3700 is a 26". Wheel size is a personal preference thing, depending on riding style. Some guys love their 29ers and would never go back to a 26". Me on the other hand? I like my 26". Ed's signature has a link to a topic with a bunch of 29er pros and cons.

The other thing is there will be a difference in geometry between the 26ers and the 29ers, and also between the Fishers and the Trek. Ride them all, see if one feels better under you.

Assuming they all feel the same, I'd get rid of the 3700. The other bikes are a significant step up from the 3700. The only way that bike stays in the mix is if the other two turns out to be 29ers and you decide you want a 26". On the other hand, whether there's a big difference between the Marlin and Wahoo depends on whether they're 2011s or 2012s. I don't see a huge difference between the 2012s. A slightly nicer component here or there, but nothing you'll notice much. On the other hand, the 2011s have the big difference of wheel size. You WILL like one wheel size over the other...get that one.
Old 11-20-11, 04:02 PM
Mr Jeff

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by danguskhan
It sounds like you are on the right track. Figure out your budget, goto all the local bike shops and ride every bike within your budget. Pick the one that feels best and that you think you ride the most.
You can save a lot of money on craigslist and internet shopping too but being a beginner you are probably better off to pay for the experience of the guys at the LBS.
My budget is in the $500 range. I've been watching craigslist for a week or so. There are lots of Wal Mart bikes. There are a few good hardtails that might be a year or two old, but they're only up for $100ish less than msrp. Then there are the bikes that were really good 10 years ago. Maybe it's just the wrong time of year.

Originally Posted by pablosnazzy
Right now, for you, fit is the most important thing to look for. Make sure the bicycle fits you and you are comfortable. If you like the Trek, you can get a great brand new Trek 3500 for less than $500 and it will do you quite well. the guys at the trek shop should be happy to order one for you. remember, YOU are paying the money, they should be happy to fulfill any reasonable request.
Would a 2012 3500 be $100 better than a 2010 3700?

Originally Posted by Zephyr11
For reference:
2010 Trek 3700: https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/2010/archive/3700
2011 Fisher Wahoo: https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/2011/archive/wahoo
2011 Fisher Marlin: https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes...archive/marlin
2012 Fisher Wahoo: https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/colle..._sport/wahoo/#
2012 Fisher Marlin: https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/colle...sport/marlin/#

Were the Marlin and Wahoo 2011 or 2012 bikes? Because both the 2011 and 2012 Marlins are 29ers (29" wheels), while the 2011 Wahoo is a 26" and the 2012 Wahoo is a 29er. The 2010 3700 is a 26". Wheel size is a personal preference thing, depending on riding style. Some guys love their 29ers and would never go back to a 26". Me on the other hand? I like my 26". Ed's signature has a link to a topic with a bunch of 29er pros and cons.

The other thing is there will be a difference in geometry between the 26ers and the 29ers, and also between the Fishers and the Trek. Ride them all, see if one feels better under you.

Assuming they all feel the same, I'd get rid of the 3700. The other bikes are a significant step up from the 3700. The only way that bike stays in the mix is if the other two turns out to be 29ers and you decide you want a 26". On the other hand, whether there's a big difference between the Marlin and Wahoo depends on whether they're 2011s or 2012s. I don't see a huge difference between the 2012s. A slightly nicer component here or there, but nothing you'll notice much. On the other hand, the 2011s have the big difference of wheel size. You WILL like one wheel size over the other...get that one.
The Marlin and Wahoo are both 29ers. I've read a little about the 26vs29ers. It seems more like an internet argument than anything else. Real world differences for me might not even be noticable. I'm not doing anything technical. I'm not racing. I'm just looking for a good time with an entry level bike.

I have read that bike companies will put lesser grade components on 29ers that are the same price as a 26. Is that true? Should I get a 26er so the other components will be better?

One thing that did make me wonder about was people were complaining about single vs double walled wheels. How much force does it take to bend or warp a wheel?
Old 11-20-11, 04:09 PM
kenhill3
use your best eye

Bikes: '75 Bertin, '93 Parkpre Team 925, '04 Kona King Kikapu, '05 Bianchi Vigorelli

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hey, Zeph, did you run outta breath on that one? ^^^

Haha. JK.
Old 11-20-11, 05:47 PM
dsprehe89

Bikes: 2013 Stumpjumper HT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you can get the 3700 new for $328, and you like it I would say go for it. It sounds like you are just wanting it to just get your feet wet and test out the MTBing waters. And for basic trails that bike will be just fine for you. I would go test ride a 29er too, just to see if you like the feel of the 29er over the 26" (I personally haven't jump on the 29er bandwagon yet). But the most important thing is going to be size. You won't want to ride a bike that is too small or too large (that just makes riding uncomfortable and you also don't get as much power as you would with a properly sized bike).

As far as components go. You probably won't notice the difference between the components on the Marlin vs the 3500 (both are really low end components). I think the biggest difference that you would notice is the tire size and disc vs V-brakes. I personally would spend the little extra to get the 3500 "disc" if you decide to go with the 3500 over the 3700, but between the 3500 vs the 3700, I see nothing wrong with just saving a little cash and getting the 3700. If you decide in a year or 2 that you are really enjoying yourself and want a new better bike, you'll know more of what you want and what you like then you can make a better decision and won't be out a ton of money on the bike you buy now and might not like so much.
Old 11-20-11, 06:26 PM
Zephyr11
Pint-Sized Gnar Shredder

Bikes: '09 Jamis Komodo, '09 Mirraco Blend One, '08 Cervelo P2C, '08 Specialized Ruby Elite, '07 Yeti AS-R SL, '07 DMR Drone

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kenhill3
Hey, Zeph, did you run outta breath on that one? ^^^
I wore the letters off my keys. My keyboard is all stealth black now.

I mostly agree with what dsprehe said, with the one exception of I don't think you'll see much of a difference between low-end discs and rim brakes. High-end mechanical discs versus rim brakes? Yes. A decent set of hydraulic discs versus rim brakes? Absolutely. Cheap-o Tektro discs versus rim brakes? I don't see a difference anyway. The only benefit to cheap discs is it's easier to sell on Craigslist when it's time for a new bike.
Old 11-20-11, 06:34 PM
dsprehe89

Bikes: 2013 Stumpjumper HT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wore the letters off my keys. My keyboard is all stealth black now.

I mostly agree with what dsprehe said, with the one exception of I don't think you'll see much of a difference between low-end discs and rim brakes. High-end mechanical discs versus rim brakes? Yes. A decent set of hydraulic discs versus rim brakes? Absolutely. Cheap-o Tektro discs versus rim brakes? I don't see a difference anyway. The only benefit to cheap discs is it's easier to sell on Craigslist when it's time for a new bike.
True, I've only used cheap discs once and that was on a walmart bike, and so I just assumed it was the fact that it was a walmart bike. I just recently switched to Avid BB5's from V-Brakes and I know I don't plan on going back to V's any time soon, however, from what I under stand, BB5's and 7's are pretty much the best mechanical disc's you can get (which is why I went with them ).
Old 11-20-11, 11:34 PM
Zephyr11
Pint-Sized Gnar Shredder

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr Jeff
The Marlin and Wahoo are both 29ers. I've read a little about the 26vs29ers. It seems more like an internet argument than anything else. Real world differences for me might not even be noticable. I'm not doing anything technical. I'm not racing. I'm just looking for a good time with an entry level bike.
Please try both a 26" and a 29er. Just a test ride, to see how they feel. I don't have a 29er, but I did used to own a 26" dirt jumper, and now have a 24" dirt jumper. Very similar geometry, but different wheel size. Huge difference in how they rode, even if I was just riding it down the street. You're going to notice a difference, even if you're not doing anything technical, and you're going to prefer one to the other.
Old 12-03-11, 02:44 PM
Mr Jeff

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Please try both a 26" and a 29er. Just a test ride, to see how they feel. I don't have a 29er, but I did used to own a 26" dirt jumper, and now have a 24" dirt jumper. Very similar geometry, but different wheel size. Huge difference in how they rode, even if I was just riding it down the street. You're going to notice a difference, even if you're not doing anything technical, and you're going to prefer one to the other.
I went back to the lbs and test rode a '11 4300, 12 Marlin, and a 12 Cobia. They all seemed to coast about the same. I've read that the 29ers are supposed to keep momentum a bit better, but it felt the same. The only difference I noticed between the 3 was the fork and the brakes. The 4300 seemed to stop the fastest and when it did, it had no problem bringing the rear tire off the ground. The Cobia needed more force on the lever to stop as fast, and the Marlin didn't have a chance, but you could hear the brakes more so than either of the other two. The salesman said the Marlin needed to have the brakes adjusted. The forks felt about the same - squishy. The shifts were all about the same. They were all fast and precise going up gears, but down was more problematic.