Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Beefy SS Wheelset Build

Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Beefy SS Wheelset Build

Old 10-08-13, 05:56 PM
dsprehe89

Bikes: 2013 Stumpjumper HT

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Beefy SS Wheelset Build

Hello All,

It's been a couple of years since I've been on here. I've been super busy finishing up my schooling, but I've finally graduated and am wanting to get back into biking for both pleasure and to loose the weight I've gained.

I have the same bike I built 2 years ago, and it just isn't cutting it for me. I have 2 problems with the bike.

First, I break rear derailleurs like no other. I have had the bike for 2 years and have been through 4 rear derailleurs due to sticks bouncing up into them and pushing them into the rear wheel. My solution to fixing the rear derailleur problem is to convert the bike to a SS. No rear derailleur means no rear derailleur to break, and seeing as I almost only ride single track with limited elevation change, I'm not that concerned with loosing gearing.

My second problem is what I came here for.

I weight 270#'s and my current rear wheel just hasn't been able to handle how hard I ride and how much I weigh. I have to true it after nearly every other ride, so I decided that I was going to build my own wheel set and build it to be super beefy.

I have a few rims and hubs that I am looking at, and would just like some advice about experience others have had and any recommendations.

here is a link to my current rear wheel, just so you know what I am currently having problems with.

One of my questions is how large is the strength difference between 32 and 36H wheels? My current wheel is a 32 spoke. Will going to a 36 give my that extra strength I need, or do I need a stronger rim also (I am planning on getting a new rim either way)?

I have 2 different rims I am currently looking into. The first is Alex Supra BH. The second is Sun Ringle MTX-33. I have no good reasoning behind these rims except there fit in my price range and appear to be pretty strong, so I am open to pretty much any and all recommendations.

I have only 1 hub set in mind. Both Front and Rear are Surly Ultra 36H.

I chose these because they are the only hubs that I could find that were designed for mountain bikes, single speed, and disc brakes that were in my price range.

Now for the last thing. The price range that I keep mentioning is $300. I am open to any and all suggestions that would allow me to build my front and rear under that price (I know I didn't include spokes and nipples in the price, I'm keeping their price secret from the wife so I have that little extra for the rims and hubs)
Old 10-08-13, 06:21 PM
ed 

Bikes: Hecklah

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You may be able to swing an XT/ 721/729 build.

XT is a good cup and cone hub that is cheap and you could run a single speed tensioner just in case you later decide to move back to a rear derailleur.
Old 10-08-13, 06:23 PM
ed 

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
How is your front wheel? Maybe since you have a suspension fork, you can put the whole $300 toward relaxing the rear wheel with a nice sealed bearing hub/721.
Old 10-08-13, 06:39 PM
dsprehe89

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The front wheel is the original wheel from the Mongoose I had waaaaayyyy back in the day, so I absolutely has to go. I just found this hub on Jenson.

What is this XT 721/729 build you are referring too? Are you referring to an XT hub, and these 721/729 being a rim model?
Old 10-08-13, 06:46 PM
dsprehe89

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I believe I just found the rim you are referring to. Is it this? If so, I think I could pull it off with this rear hub, and this front hub (just cause they gotta match). My only concern would be that I have never heard of this brand and am not sure how well it would handle, and if it is even designed for mountain biking (I honestly cant tell the difference between a BMX and a MTB freewheel hub if there is one).
Old 10-08-13, 08:11 PM
Dannihilator
Still kicking.

Bikes: Bike Count: Rising.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 32 Posts
I can tell you that the Sun Ringle MTX 33 would be WAY overkill for your needs, same with the Mavic EX729, as well as the Alex Supra BH, those three are DH/FR rims. Also can't recommend Surly Hubs and have a clear conscience about it, worst hubs I have ever used. I'm using the mtx 33 for a front rim and it's mated to a surly hub, it's been the only trouble free of the two hubs, I've since built up a rhynolite, dmr revolver as a rear wheel, but will be exchanging the rhyno lite.

You would probably benefit a build around these parameters.

Mavic Ex721 or Sun Rhyno Lite laced to a shimano XT hub. 36 hole, 3 cross.
Old 10-08-13, 08:47 PM
dsprehe89

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the info on the Surly hubs. I sure wouldn't have expected that. I would prefer to get a SS hub though, so that the rear wheel will be symmetrically dished to add strength.

As far as how strong of rims I need, as I said, I weigh 270#s and am extremely rough on rims, so I personally feel that I should just get as strong as possible and it is only $15 more for the 729 compared to the 721. I'm not that worried about weight, because I feel that I would be better off removing #'s from myself as opposed to removing grams off my bike. Also, my current rear is a Sun Rhyno Lite laced to a Deore 32H and I have to true it after almost every ride, so unless going from 32H to 36H makes a much bigger difference than I am expecting, I am probably gonna go with the Mavic 729 for rear, and 719 for front.

Which would you say is stronger between the EX729, and the MTX 33? If the MTX 33 is similar strength, they are half the price of the EX729 and I could go with them to save quite a bit of costs.

Also, you said you built a DMR Revolver wheel, would you recommend the DMR hub?
Old 10-08-13, 08:54 PM
ed 

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
XT/Rhyno lite is very affordable. Like $160 hand built. Excellent
Old 10-08-13, 09:17 PM
Dannihilator
Still kicking.

Originally Posted by dsprehe89
Thanks for the info on the Surly hubs. I sure wouldn't have expected that. I would prefer to get a SS hub though, so that the rear wheel will be symmetrically dished to add strength.

As far as how strong of rims I need, as I said, I weigh 270#s and am extremely rough on rims, so I personally feel that I should just get as strong as possible and it is only $15 more for the 729 compared to the 721. I'm not that worried about weight, because I feel that I would be better off removing #'s from myself as opposed to removing grams off my bike. Also, my current rear is a Sun Rhyno Lite laced to a Deore 32H and I have to true it after almost every ride, so unless going from 32H to 36H makes a much bigger difference than I am expecting, I am probably gonna go with the Mavic 729 for rear, and 719 for front.

Which would you say is stronger between the EX729, and the MTX 33? If the MTX 33 is similar strength, they are half the price of the EX729 and I could go with them to save quite a bit of costs.

Also, you said you built a DMR Revolver wheel, would you recommend the DMR hub?
That's because mavic is a bit in their own fantasy world price wise. How are you sure that SS is for you? If you go with the XT hub, you can still go SS and in the case you don't like it, you still have the ability to go back to geared without having to get another wheel plus the dish isn't that big of a deal and you can run the gearing of your choice instead of being limited in the cog size to freehub threading. Trying to save you money here is all. Plus the rincon is a vertical dropout, so you don't really need the bolt on hub, just get a locking skewer for the rear hub.

I still think you're better off with the Mavic EX721 or Sun Ringle Rhyno Lite front and rear in 36 hole with the XT hub, you don't need the extra rotational weight that the MTX33 and EX729 have.

The dmr revolver hub is a hub, it does it's job, the one I went with is 32 hole 3 cross, standard threading and is laced to Sun Rhyno Lite, I'm having zero issues with keeping it true and I beat the snot out of it every day.
Old 10-09-13, 07:19 AM
lubes17319
Chronic 1st-timer

Bikes: ...take me places.

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm a lightweight, at a mere 240# & have ridden 95% SS since 2001.

Hubs I've used:
Surly SS New Disc & flip-flop: I've abused 2 pair since 2006, and have only kept them in adjustment in that time. Most durable hubs I've ever had.
XT: garbage (for my brother, who is 260# & I), together we've trashed many over the past 25 yrs, never make it past 18 months. Mine are 36h, but don't think that hole count makes as much a difference as spokes, rim & quality of build.
DMR: ?? I've looked into those for my next 'budget' build. I have a Dimension (which is probably of similar level) up front on 1 bike & has worked great for 2yrs now (but being on the front, it should last forever.
Bontrager SS: shredded the internals after about a year.
Azonic Recoil: blew out pawls after 1 yr
Old 10-09-13, 09:13 PM
ed 

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Well...if you can put together the scratch, my Hope Pro 2 / DT EX5.1d setup has lasted since 2006. It's about time to rebuild the rear, but they've been abused and loved. A good set of wheels is a great investment.
Old 10-09-13, 09:18 PM
Dannihilator
Still kicking.

Originally Posted by lubes17319
I'm a lightweight, at a mere 240# & have ridden 95% SS since 2001.

Hubs I've used:
Surly SS New Disc & flip-flop: I've abused 2 pair since 2006, and have only kept them in adjustment in that time. Most durable hubs I've ever had.
XT: garbage (for my brother, who is 260# & I), together we've trashed many over the past 25 yrs, never make it past 18 months. Mine are 36h, but don't think that hole count makes as much a difference as spokes, rim & quality of build.
DMR: ?? I've looked into those for my next 'budget' build. I have a Dimension (which is probably of similar level) up front on 1 bike & has worked great for 2yrs now (but being on the front, it should last forever.
Bontrager SS: shredded the internals after about a year.
Azonic Recoil: blew out pawls after 1 yr
Surly SS Disc: 6 sets of bearings in a 1 year period for the front. 10 sets of bearings in a 1 year period with the rear. Utter garbage design with the threaded on shoulders with a sealed setup.

XT: The last XT hub I used lasted 6 years for me, with routine maintenance.