Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

is WD 40 (regular, not Bike) corrosive for carbon fiber?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-16, 10:38 PM
jamisFan

Bikes: 2013 Jamis Ventura Sport, 2014 Jamis Xenith Comp

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I had a long ride yesterday and rode through several puddles. So this morning I cleaned my frame using baby wipes and then washed the chain with dish soap, then brushed it WD40 and relubed it using Blaster's chain and cable lube.

While the bike was upside down some of the WD40 dripped onto the seat stay, and come to think of it, some of the lubricant did also.
Only hours later I noticed a small peel off on the paint (attached pic) which I have no idea if it's related to the wd40 or the lube. I don't remember seeing it before, but I can't tell for sure that it wasn't there, it might as well be a chip off because of a pebble.

Should I be worried that the integrity of my frame is compromised? Sorry if this is a dumb question, but over-worrying is my second favorite thing.

Thanks.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_5001.jpg (92.8 KB, 189 views)
Old 02-07-16, 11:00 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4198 Post(s)
Liked 3,850 Times in 2,300 Posts
Don't confuse what bothers paint as also bothering the structural carbon. To my understanding WD40 is OK on carbon. Andy.
Old 02-07-16, 11:16 PM
jamisFan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks, I've been reading about it and that seems to be the case.

Best,
D.
Old 02-08-16, 12:10 AM
gsa103

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito (Celeste, of course)

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 77 Posts
That looks like a scrape from leaning the bike against something.
Old 02-08-16, 07:43 AM
_ediri

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
Don't confuse what bothers paint as also bothering the structural carbon. To my understanding WD40 is OK on carbon. Andy.
ok, thanks! good to know as i used WD40 also and had the same question in mind!
Old 02-08-16, 08:04 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6215 Post(s)
Liked 4,213 Times in 2,362 Posts
There's not a lot of chemicals that you would normally use in the course of bicycle maintenance that are going to have much any effect on the carbon fiber itself and very few that are going to have much effect on the epoxy resin that holds the carbon fiber together. The effect on the epoxy resin is what you should be most worried about, by the way, since you'd have to dissolve away a lot of epoxy to get at the fiber.

WD40 is a mixture of mineral spirits and mineral oil (similar materials with slightly different molecular weights) and should do nothing to the epoxy, carbon fiber nor even the paint. I'm not sure that your paint problem is even related to the WD40. It may be a manufacturing defect were the frame member wasn't cleaned properly and the paint didn't stick to the frame. It's appearance with your use of WD40 is likely just coincidental.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 02-08-16, 09:15 AM
jamisFan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gsa103
That looks like a scrape from leaning the bike against something.
Yes, but if I slide my finger across I can't feel a difference between the painted and unpainted portions. That's why I was worried maybe the paint dissolved rather than scraped.
Old 02-08-16, 09:16 AM
jamisFan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks!
Old 02-08-16, 09:45 AM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 836 Post(s)
Liked 1,060 Times in 744 Posts
And just to add.... Usually if a chemical is damaging paint or epoxy etc., it will tend to bubble or tear around the remaining edges of the missing paint so I agree with the others that this is more of a scrape of some kind.
Old 02-08-16, 10:51 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
The Carbon fabric should be bound up in the Epoxy..
Old 02-08-16, 04:20 PM
RoadLight

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Hi jamisFan,

I think you don't need to worry about WD40 harming your carbon frame. But if you want to be sure, you could mix up a little epoxy and let it dry 48 hours. Then soak it with WD40 and see what happens. As others have explained, the carbon fiber of your bike is suspended in epoxy. Epoxy is what the hard plastic-like surface of your bike frame is made of. The WD40 should contact only the epoxy---not the carbon. If you don't observe any problem with your epoxy test after a week or more, then you should be okay.

However, there is another approach to chain cleaning that you might consider for the future: Add a removable link to your chain so you can easily take it off your bike when it needs this kind of cleaning. I use a citrus-based degreaser followed by some liquid dish soap to remove all traces of the degreaser. If I don't have time to wait for the chain to dry (or it is cold, overcast or raining) then I pop the chain in the oven on an old metal baking sheet. With the oven on its lowest setting, it takes only 10-15 minutes (after preheating) for the chain to be fully dry.

The benefits of this method are: (1) You don't have to worry about getting degreaser on other parts of your bike. (2) It's possible to do a better chain cleaning. (3) With the chain off the bike, it can be quickly dried in an oven (as long as you did NOT use a flammable degreaser like WD40). Another benefit of avoiding WD40 is that you won't have any residue of it on your chain. You see, WD40, in addition to being a water displacer (WD), also has a mild degreaser and mild lubricant. The water displacement agent and degreaser are supposed to evaporate away, leaving behind just the mild lubricant. But it's not a very good lubricant. Your chain will do better if it is really clean (no residue of any kind) before you apply a proper chain lubricant (I use Park Tool CL-1). A citrus degreaser followed by a dish soap scrub should only leave water behind which you evaporate in the wind, sun or in an oven.

I care for four bikes in my family and that's how I keep all of their chains clean. It can be done very fast.

Kind regards, RoadLight
Old 02-08-16, 04:26 PM
Tim_Iowa

Bikes: 1997 Rivendell Road Standard 650b conversion (tourer), 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10 (gravel/tour), 2013 Foundry Auger disc (CX/gravel), 2016 Cannondale Fat CAAD 2 (MTB/winter), 2011 Cannondale Flash 29er Lefty (trail MTB)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by RoadLight
Add a removable link to your chain so you can easily take it off your bike when it needs this kind of cleaning.
To add: Wippermann Connex removable links are the easiest to use, can be re-used any number of times, and are available for all 8, 9, 10, and 11 speed chains.
Old 02-09-16, 02:17 AM
Chief

Bikes: SR, Bianchi, Raleigh, Bertin, Kona, Schwinn, Eisentraut, Zunow, Columbine, Naked, Nishiki, Phillips, Specialized, Giant

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jamisFan
I had a long ride yesterday and rode through several puddles. So this morning I cleaned my frame using baby wipes and then washed the chain with dish soap, then brushed it WD40 and relubed it using Blaster's chain and cable lube.

While the bike was upside down some of the WD40 dripped onto the seat stay, and come to think of it, some of the lubricant did also.
Only hours later I noticed a small peel off on the paint (attached pic) which I have no idea if it's related to the wd40 or the lube. I don't remember seeing it before, but I can't tell for sure that it wasn't there, it might as well be a chip off because of a pebble.

Should I be worried that the integrity of my frame is compromised? Sorry if this is a dumb question, but over-worrying is my second favorite thing.

Thanks.

what is is your first favorite thing?
Old 02-09-16, 09:29 AM
Indyracer

Bikes: Felt F2 road bike, Motobecane Cafe Sprint Hybrid, Cannondale F400 CAD2 MTB

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 212 Times in 65 Posts
WD40 does not affect cured carbon fiber. Also never seen it bother paint.
Old 02-19-16, 07:10 PM
jamisFan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Chief
what is is your first favorite thing?
Cycling of course.