Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

why bikes shouldn't be taxed like motorvehicles

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

why bikes shouldn't be taxed like motorvehicles

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-16, 05:30 PM
SpeshulEd 

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I'll be happy to pay taxes for bike lanes when cars stop using them for parking.

Old 05-18-16, 05:31 PM
Flinstone

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by StanSeven
Some posters forget that bike lanes often are part of the road structure. I just went past an older four lane road that needed repaving last time I saw it. Now it's been resurfaced but it's two lanes with a center turn lane and bike lanes added. That's really nice but car tax helped pay for that. So it's probably fair that bicycles help pay for maintenance.
Probably because many people who actually cycle very seriously or often, don't like or want those bike lanes and even petition against them. It's drivers and very casual or merely potential cyclists (people who own a bike but don't use it) who don't yet realize the danger and want cyclists to be (forced) into those lanes. I have seen some situations where bike lanes integrated into a road system can be useful, but usually or at least often it's dangerous. This argument is another great reason not to tax cyclists. We don't want to pay for to build or own death traps and be forced into them.

Your argument would apply better to trails, but then why not tax use of sidewalks with shoes too?
Old 05-18-16, 05:41 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
The revenue stream from taxing bikes would be so small that they'll go in the hole on administration and enforcement. There are some examples backing that up but you'll have to dig around for it.

Secondly, if the rationale is to pay a fair share for road maintenance, bear in mind that damage to roads scales with the cube of axle weight. So a car weighing 10 times as much as a bike on each axle damages the road 1000 times as much as the bike does. And then cars are driven a lot more miles than bikes so multiply that by 10 again. So OK 1/10,000 of the car's registration fees might be a fair tax.
Old 05-18-16, 05:42 PM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 2,173 Times in 1,464 Posts
Originally Posted by Flinstone
Probably because many people who actually cycle very seriously or often, don't like or want those bike lanes and even petition against them. It's drivers and very casual or merely potential cyclists (people who own a bike but don't use it) who don't yet realize the danger and want cyclists to be (forced) into those lanes. I have seen some situations where bike lanes integrated into a road system can be useful, but usually or at least often it's dangerous. This argument is another great reason not to tax cyclists. We don't want to pay for to build or own death traps and be forced into them.

Your argument would apply better to trails, but then why not tax use of sidewalks with shoes too?
I'm an advocate of those that use things like roads, parks, transportation, etc., should pay their fair share. For example I'm against subsidized bus fares and think that everyone that rides the bus should pay apprpriately.

I'm normally against bike lanes as well but this road is an exception. It's a four lane, non-divided road through a residential area. It has lots of twists and turns and is a favorite commuter route for both cyclists that ride all the way to work and those that ride to a nearby subway station. The lanes were built mostly at serious cyclists request. Cars rountinely do 50 mph in a 35 mph zone. Combine that with no shoulder, no median in the middle, and drivers rushing to work and home and it's dangerous.
Old 05-18-16, 05:43 PM
SpeshulEd 

Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Flinstone

I have never met a cyclist that didn't appreciate bike lanes and better biking infrastructure.

Old 05-18-16, 05:47 PM
Drew Eckhardt 

Bikes: 97 Litespeed, 50-39-30x13-26 10 cogs, Campagnolo Ultrashift, retroreflective rims on SON28/PowerTap hubs

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by ANN5250
While reading the paper this morning, I came across an article suggesting that bikes should be taxed just like cars. I am going to send a response as to why they shouldn't be and am looking for suggestions. Thanks
Cyclists are already paying more than our fair share with road damage proportional to the 4th power of axle weight and the majority of road costs coming from general funds cyclists' pay into with our income tax and other property tax.

Although a 3000 pound car does 50,000 times the damage of a 200 pound bike + rider combination, the car driver is paying less than double what the cyclist does.
Old 05-18-16, 05:51 PM
wphamilton

Originally Posted by Drew Eckhardt
Cyclists are already paying more than our fair share with road damage proportional to the 4th power of axle weight and the majority of road costs coming from general funds cyclists' pay into with our income tax and other property tax.

Although a 3000 pound car does 50,000 times the damage of a 200 pound bike + rider combination, the car driver is paying less than double what the cyclist does.
Yep 4th power (I thought cube for some reason). It would be fair if we paid 1/50000 of the tag fees that cars do, if the local government truly wants to go to the trouble to collect it.
Old 05-18-16, 06:12 PM
dwbstr

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When people see a busy road widened by a couple of feet to the right of the fog line and bicycles in that space they often think it was done with their gas tax money for the benefit of cyclists. It's really done to keep heavy vehicles like semis away from the edge of the pavement where their weight can break it up. In the long run it saves money. Cyclists may benefit but only incidentally.
Old 05-18-16, 06:33 PM
Jaywalk3r

Bikes: I own N+1 bikes, where N=0.

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Drew Eckhardt

I have no reason to doubt your numbers, but I would appreciate a source if you have one, for my own future reference. I'm rather averse to using the "some guy on the Internet told me ..." citation!
Old 05-18-16, 07:10 PM
wphamilton

Originally Posted by Jaywalk3r
I have no reason to doubt your numbers, but I would appreciate a source if you have one, for my own future reference. I'm rather averse to using the "some guy on the Internet told me ..." citation!
Just google "power of axle weight"!

https://www.oregon.gov/ODOT/TD/EA/pol...ent_damage.pdf
Old 05-18-16, 07:16 PM
rekmeyata

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Quoted: 1125 Post(s)
Liked 249 Times in 200 Posts
Originally Posted by Milton Keynes
The basic answer is that bicycles should not be taxed like motor vehicles because they don't cause the wear and tear on city streets like motor vehicles do. Potholes are caused by numerous 1-ton vehicles going down that street, not so much by a 200 lb. man on a 30 lb. bicycle. Not to mention the fact that bicycles are non-polluting and quiet.
Yet it cost an average of $130,000 to build just one mile of a bike path and we all want that done for free at no cost to the cyclist. Pedestrian & Bicycle Information Center

I ride bikes and I think cyclists should pay a one time registration fee, a tax will you, based on the percentage of the cost of the bike like 5% of the purchase price of the bike or the value of the bike if used, and this fee would not only go for the cost to help build bike paths but also for theft recovery. This would only apply to new bikes, used bikes would be excluded UNLESS the person wanting to buy a used bike wanted to voluntarily pay it for the theft protection, which would be open to anyone with bikes currently.

Your talking about 6.1 billion dollars of new bicycles bought in the USA in 2014, Industry Overview 2014 - National Bicycle Dealers Association That mounts to 305 million dollars that could have been generated for bike paths every year...depending on sales of course. This doesn't even include used bike sales. The registration fee would go to whatever state the bike was sold in, and on internet sales the fee goes to whatever state the purchaser lived in. 305 million dollars a year could go a long ways in providing more paths and lanes for our safety and make the USA become more of a cycling nation.

I'm sorry for all of you who think you're entitled, you're not and should pay your way, it's only fair.
Old 05-18-16, 07:26 PM
Jseis 
Other Worldly Member

Bikes: 1973 Motobecane Grand Jubilee, 1981 Centurion Super LeMans, 2010 Gary Fisher Wahoo, 2003 Colnago Dream Lux, 2014 Giant Defy 1, 2015 Framed Bikes Minnesota 3.0, several older family Treks

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 53 Posts
I'm on a planning team evaluating a 1.5 mile extension of a 10 mile (separated path) trail system and fully expect the complex extension involving wetlands, arterial crossings, road lane adjustments, etc. will cost upward of 1 mil for Phase 1 and another mil for Phase 2. Will it be worth it? Heck yes as it'll provide access to another 4 miles of trail. You've got to bring in many partners to spread the $$ and most cyclists haven't a clue of the work it takes to build something that they'll enjoy for decades.
Old 05-18-16, 07:39 PM
bakes1
Banned

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane Le Champion lilac, 2015 Specialized Secteur Elite

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by dksix
Rather than tax cyclist, mount camera's on all bikes that can get plate numbers and send tickets to all passing motor vehicles that violate minimum passing distances. I don't know about the rest of you but I'd bring in some $$$$ for the counties.
Old 05-18-16, 07:43 PM
no1mad 
Thunder Whisperer

Bikes: '06 Kona Smoke

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Moved to A & S from General Cycling.
Old 05-18-16, 07:46 PM
dksix

Bikes: Basso Luguna, Fuji Nevada

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4261 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by bakes1
I have a strange memory that patterns and oddities stick out in my mind. The most common trait of vehicles that crowd me in this area is window/bumper stickers where as commercial vehicles seem to most often give me a wide berth.
Old 05-18-16, 07:51 PM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Originally Posted by Big Grove
There are very few 1 ton vehicles driving on the streets. That is about what a 1990 Mazda Miata weighs.

The average new car weighs over 2 tons (4000 lbs). The average 1/2 ton pickup truck is approaching 3 tons (6000 lbs).
Sorry, I mean 1-ton and up.

Last edited by Milton Keynes; 05-18-16 at 08:06 PM.
Old 05-18-16, 08:06 PM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Originally Posted by rekmeyata
Yet it cost an average of $130,000 to build just one mile of a bike path and we all want that done for free at no cost to the cyclist. Pedestrian & Bicycle Information Center

I'm sorry for all of you who think you're entitled, you're not and should pay your way, it's only fair.
I would happily pay for a registration if we actually had some bike paths around here. Closest one is something like 25 miles away, about 8 miles of it is free to ride on, built by donations and reclaimed from an old railroad line. Past that 8 miles it's run by the Dept. of Wildlife and Parks and you have to pay a fee to use it. So there's no need to pay a tax on bicycles to support those trails. But as it is, I shouldn't have to pay to ride my bicycle on city streets and county roads which are already paid for by my taxes. My bicycle isn't wearing potholes into the road like all the big diesel dually pickups running around here. Besides, I'm already paying for registrations for three different motor vehicles, so the city/county/state ought to give me a break for riding a vehicle which is not going to cause any wear and tear on their streets and roads.

Last edited by Milton Keynes; 05-18-16 at 08:20 PM.
Old 05-18-16, 08:56 PM
rekmeyata

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Originally Posted by Milton Keynes
I would happily pay for a registration if we actually had some bike paths around here. Closest one is something like 25 miles away, about 8 miles of it is free to ride on, built by donations and reclaimed from an old railroad line. Past that 8 miles it's run by the Dept. of Wildlife and Parks and you have to pay a fee to use it. So there's no need to pay a tax on bicycles to support those trails. But as it is, I shouldn't have to pay to ride my bicycle on city streets and county roads which are already paid for by my taxes. My bicycle isn't wearing potholes into the road like all the big diesel dually pickups running around here. Besides, I'm already paying for registrations for three different motor vehicles, so the city/county/state ought to give me a break for riding a vehicle which is not going to cause any wear and tear on their streets and roads.
As with anything taxed nothing is going to perfect for all the people. You see this with the way schools get money all time. Obviously you live in an area where cycling isn't very popular by even the least bit or there would be paths built, so unfortunately you would be more left out then others. I pay taxes to support people who could be working but aren't and I get no benefit from that either, but I don't feel entitled so it's not an issue for me not to get money from the government or not getting bike paths.
Old 05-18-16, 09:40 PM
PaulRivers

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
Bikes shouldn't be taxed like cars simply because the overhead of adding and collecting taxes on them is large compared to the amount of money collected.

It costs a lot of money to add a special tax to things. Imagine the overhead in collecting registration fees, yearly fees, etc on bikes like you do with cars. But with cars the average car (new) costs $15,000 to $30,000). The average bike people buy is under $1,000. Can you imagine how little actual money you'd get out of bike taxes if they built a separate dmv building for bikes?

Bikes are already taxed with sales tax. It's not like they're some special category that's not taxed.

Edit: I do see some interesting arguments about if you live somewhere that's building a lot of bike-specific trails (so not just biking on city streets) which get expensive. The thing that gets into is if basically - if government was entirely fair and didn't pay for anything extra that it didn't have to, then I'd be ok with an extra charge for bikes that went directly into paying for offroad bike paths. But our governments are not like that. Every time a rich team wants a new sports stadium, somehow our government always say "oh ok we'll pay for part of it" which is rediculous with the insane amount of money these teams are making. There are a whole bunch of other corporate welfare / cronyism things that our government spends money on that I don't like.

So to be totally honest - I'm against taxes on bikes like cars because I feel like it's one of the few graft things that benefits me. If you could get rid of all the other government graft somehow, then I'd be ok with it in situations where it's only used to build new bike trails. But if I go out and say I'm ok with that, I'm sure all I'd end up with in reality would be no change in paying for rich people's stadiums, but now I'd also be saddled with additional bike tax, so I'm against any additional bike tax.

Last edited by PaulRivers; 05-18-16 at 10:53 PM.
Old 05-18-16, 10:25 PM
Chief

Bikes: SR, Bianchi, Raleigh, Bertin, Kona, Schwinn, Eisentraut, Zunow, Columbine, Naked, Nishiki, Phillips, Specialized, Giant

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
OP,
Lot's of hair-splitting answers about who pays more and how taxes are used/abused... but the fundamental reason that cycling cannot/should not/may not be taxed is that humans (using human power) have a basic right to travel freely on public roadways. To tax cycling would be to negate the "freely" part. (Ugh!)
Old 05-18-16, 10:25 PM
Chris0516

Bikes: 2003 (24)20-Speed Specialized Allez'

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by dksix
Rather than tax cyclist, mount camera's on all bikes that can get plate numbers and send tickets to all passing motor vehicles that violate minimum passing distances. I don't know about the rest of you but I'd bring in some $$$$ for the counties.
I am ready!!!!
Originally Posted by unterhausen
I do pay taxes on my bike just like I do on my car. I pay gas taxes for all the gas I put in it, and I pay sales tax when I buy it. In addition t the infrastructure subsidies of cars that people often note, we have significantly more emergency services, court cases, and police patrols than we would if everyone rode a bike or a bus. It's these hidden subsidies that really add up.
Not to mention. Instances like (former)NYPD officer knocking a cyclist off their bike during a Critical Mass ride a couple years ago. An officer whereever. Will not use their police cruiser/SUV to arbitrarily run a vehicle off the road. Except in a police chase.
Originally Posted by SpeshulEd
I'll be happy to pay taxes for bike lanes when cars stop using them for parking.
I am not a fan of bike lanes for, not just the problem noted. But also when motorists' 'drift' into the bike lane. So, I agree with the main point of this statement.
Old 05-19-16, 12:03 AM
Jaywalk3r

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rekmeyata
So, what's your plan to funnel all of the benefits of bicycle infrastructure back to bicyclists who pay for those benefits? How will increased property values be paid back to bicyclists? How will decreased road maintenance costs due to decreased traffic congestion be given back to cyclists. When the decreased traffic congestion results in less time spent in cars, how will the resulting increased productivity of the labor force be paid back to the bicyclists who paid for the bike infrastructure? Since bike infrastructure results in more jobs per dollar spent than car infrastructure, what sort of cut of the extra tax revenue does your plan give back to the bicyclists who paid for the infrastructure?

Bicyclists already more than pay their own way, which is more than can be said for motorists. Motor vehicle use is heavily subsidized in the US. Since the benefits of bicycle infrastructure is not limited to bicyclists, neither should be the costs.
Old 05-19-16, 12:12 AM
Jaywalk3r

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PaulRivers
Edit: I do see some interesting arguments about if you live somewhere that's building a lot of bike-specific trails (so not just biking on city streets) which get expensive.
Emphasis mine.

I just wanted to emphasize the "bike-specific" part, which I would assume to not include multi-use paths (MUPs). Around here, walkers and runners use the MUPs far more than bicyclists do. We don't have any bicycle specific paths (i.e., cycle tracks), except on one of the local university campuses, and, to be fair, they are also dominated by people walking.
Old 05-19-16, 04:16 AM
rekmeyata

Originally Posted by Chief
OP,
Lot's of hair-splitting answers about who pays more and how taxes are used/abused... but the fundamental reason that cycling cannot/should not/may not be taxed is that humans (using human power) have a basic right to travel freely on public roadways. To tax cycling would be to negate the "freely" part. (Ugh!)
We do have the right to travel freely on ROADS built for cars, but now you're asking to build a separate road just for bikes, and that's where the freely travel idea should end.
Old 05-19-16, 04:48 AM
blue192

Bikes: Norco Scene 1, Khs Westwood, Jamis Allegro 3x

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 47 Posts
I live in Ottawa Canada and can actually remember when there was 0 tax on bicycles the price tag was what you paid. That is unless you bought a bicycle that was over 1000$ (not including the acc). Oh boy times have changed and Dalton McGuinty changed it. I feel old get off my lawn now!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.