Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Do you pack a Spare Tire???

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Do you pack a Spare Tire???

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-16, 07:51 AM
Biketouringhobo
Banned.

Bikes: Surly LHT 26in 52cm 2008

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rowan
In all the touring and randonnee riding I have done, I have carried a spare folding tyre once
I am looking at Panaracer T-Serv protex folding tire 26X1.75in as my Spare tire
and right now it is Continental Touring Plus 26X1.75 Tire
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
my=Conti-Touring-plus.jpg (14.7 KB, 92 views)
Old 06-20-16, 09:35 AM
gregjones

Bikes: K2 Mod 5.0 Roadie, Fuji Commuter

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by antokelly
so who the hell made u judge and jury .
ESPECIALLY since gerryl DOES NOT have a yellow jersey. He won't even fork over a nickle a day and thinks he can make comments like that????

Don't work, Bud. You wanna be the judge.......pay up and ask about becoming a moderator.
Old 06-20-16, 09:57 AM
stevepusser

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts
A lightweight folding spare tire doesn't take up much space. On my first long tour with companions, another rider ran over a piece of metallic debris on a downhill and destroyed both tires. She and I both had one folding tire each, so were able to replace the blown ones. But I've never seen another good tire get ruined on a tour since then.
Old 06-20-16, 10:16 AM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
If I'm touring I'll carry a spare tire just in case. On a ride from Toronto Canada to Barrie Canada I was travelling along Hyw 7 towards Hyw 27 when I pulled over onto the shoulder to let a bunch of 18 wheelers get by. Rear tire got pierced by a piece of very stiff wirethat didn't bend when it hit the seatstays. It went through both sides of the tire and lodged there. When it hit the seatstays it tore a 4" rip in both sides of thetire. It was quite a walk to a store where I was able to get another tire and tube. WHen I tour logging/mining roads in Northern Ontario (Canada) I always carry a pare tire and a couple of spare tubes as well as my patch kit and tire boot material.

Whether or not to carry a spare tire depends on where you'll be and how far you have to go to get a new one if you have a catastrophic tire failure. Only you know that.

Cheers
Old 06-20-16, 11:22 AM
Biketouringhobo
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by stevepusser
A lightweight folding spare tire doesn't take up much space. On my first long tour with companions, another rider ran over a piece of metallic debris on a downhill and destroyed both tires. She and I both had one folding tire each, so were able to replace the blown ones. But I've never seen another good tire get ruined on a tour since then.
Thanks for good Reply and I am looking at getting 2 Schwalbe marathon deluxe hs420 Tires
26X2.0 Folding tires 720gm $60.22X2=$120.44+S&H from Schwabletires.com/ on 8-3-2016 and
1 as a Spare Tire on 10-3-16 and I like to pack a Schwalbe Marathon deluxe hs420 in my
Ortlieb rack pack
Old 06-20-16, 01:06 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10954 Post(s)
Liked 7,483 Times in 4,185 Posts
Originally Posted by Biketouringhobo
I am looking at Panaracer T-Serv protex folding tire 26X1.75in as my Spare tire
and right now it is Continental Touring Plus 26X1.75 Tire
3rd time- you have a spare tire. Why get another spare tire?
You continually mention you are on a fixed income...yet look to double up on rarely used items.
Old 06-20-16, 01:14 PM
Biketouringhobo
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
3rd time- you have a spare tire. Why get another spare tire?
You continually mention you are on a fixed income...yet look to double up on rarely used items.
So I can Pack a Spare Tire in my Ortlieb Rack Top Bag and That is why I was looking at Panaracer T-Serv 26X1.75 Tires
Old 06-20-16, 11:35 PM
rifraf

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Extrawheel Trailer

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 30 Posts
I always take a spare tire when I tour and a couple of tubes.

I tour with an Extrawheel trailer usually and all my wheels are the same spoke count, same rims and same size folding tires (700c x 2.00).

I currently utilise folding Schwalbe Mondials for mixed surface tours.

I'm looking at an off road tour next, soonish, so have some WTB Exiwolf 2.3 tires I'm going to trial on the bike.
The trailer will stick with its Mondial 2.00 and the spare will be the usual Mondial 2.00 as well.
Old 06-20-16, 11:47 PM
i_am_you

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Seems pretty extreme to carry one. Like carrying a spare derailleur, or spare handlebars. Tubes are what you need, not tires. Tires should be replaced before a tour, not during.
Old 06-21-16, 01:09 AM
rifraf

Originally Posted by i_am_you
Seems pretty extreme to carry one. Like carrying a spare derailleur, or spare handlebars. Tubes are what you need, not tires. Tires should be replaced before a tour, not during.
When it can take days of pushing to get to a town, I'll lean towards what you call extreme.
Hell theres plenty of places here where it can take days of riding to get to the next town. You'd be more than doubling it to push a laden touring bike with a flat tire.
I won't even talk about how quickly your water will run out in that scenario.
I will however have a look at Aushikers duck tape suggestion as a potential possibility, though I think I'm happier hauling the tire given that I tour heavy anyway.
Old 06-21-16, 01:11 AM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
I always carry a spare tire, sometimes I work harder to let some air out (Clydesdale).
Old 06-21-16, 01:29 AM
Rowan

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by rifraf
When it can take days of pushing to get to a town, I'll lean towards what you call extreme.
Hell theres plenty of places here where it can take days of riding to get to the next town. You'd be more than doubling it to push a laden touring bike with a flat tire.
I won't even talk about how quickly your water will run out in that scenario.
I will however have a look at Aushikers duck tape suggestion as a potential possibility, though I think I'm happier hauling the tire given that I tour heavy anyway.
Remote area touring is somewhat different to the sorts of touring most of us do on these forums. I've ridden across the Nullarbor from Perth, but there was nothing extraordinary about the distances between towns. I lived in Far North Queensland back in the 1990s, and there wasn't anything extraordinary about the distance between towns until the blacktop stopped when headed towards the Gulf.

I haven't tour the far North West and concede that distances there and across the Top End are much larger between towns... but I don't have immediate plans to tour there, and I am sure the OP doesn't either. However, if I did intend to tour there, I likely would use heavy-duty tyres and plenty of tubes. I should ask my friend who biked the Birdsville Track what he took along with him.

(Funny story: He and his mate wore their helmets on every inch of that trip. But when they got to Birdsville, my friend just hopped on his bike to go across to the bank or pub (or grocery store, whatever) from where they were camped. Sure enough, the local cop was right there to grab him and book him for not wearing a helmet. The first time on the whole trip! My friend was not impressed... but then, knowing him, the fine is probably still outstanding )
Old 06-21-16, 01:50 AM
rifraf

Originally Posted by Rowan
Remote area touring is somewhat different to the sorts of touring most of us do on these forums. I've ridden across the Nullarbor from Perth, but there was nothing extraordinary about the distances between towns. I lived in Far North Queensland back in the 1990s, and there wasn't anything extraordinary about the distance between towns until the blacktop stopped when headed towards the Gulf.

I haven't tour the far North West and concede that distances there and across the Top End are much larger between towns... but I don't have immediate plans to tour there, and I am sure the OP doesn't either. However, if I did intend to tour there, I likely would use heavy-duty tyres and plenty of tubes. I should ask my friend who biked the Birdsville Track what he took along with him.

(Funny story: He and his mate wore their helmets on every inch of that trip. But when they got to Birdsville, my friend just hopped on his bike to go across to the bank or pub (or grocery store, whatever) from where they were camped. Sure enough, the local cop was right there to grab him and book him for not wearing a helmet. The first time on the whole trip! My friend was not impressed... but then, knowing him, the fine is probably still outstanding )
How many kms one does in a day too should be taken into consideration I guess.

Whilst I envy and admire the riders in here who talk of riding 100 mile days, its not something I wish to emulate myself.
I'm more of a meanderer when I tour, more often than not easing myself into the journey burdened by my own excessive kgs, let alone the bike.

Typically somewhere between 70 to 80 km after having started for the first couple of days between only 30 to 50km depending on the amount of climbing within the days journey.

I think my longest day in the saddle was 120km towing my trailer and I didn't want to get back on the bike for a couple of days due to soreness.
I typically find somewhere in the vicinity of around 70km ample to both head towards my destination, lose a few kg and smell the roses.
I'm blessed by being a little less time poor than most.
Old 06-21-16, 03:14 AM
IlCapitan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have done all my longer bike tours in Asian countries where getting a new tire is not always easy. A few years ago I met a Spanish cyclist in Northern Laos. He had a spare tire strapped to his frame and told me that he had earlier had a Schwalbe tire crack lengthwise all around and eventually split. He was in the middle of nowhere and had to hitch to the nearest town before any chance of obtaining a new tire. I took the clue and have since also strapped a cheapo Chinese folding tyre to my frame.

My main tires are Schwalbe Mondials. I think they are very good and don't really expect them to go South on me. But I also know that in India, where I have done my latest 3 tours, it is nearly impossible to find a 28" tire or tube, at least outside the largest cities. This last winter I needed to buy a 28" tube with Schrader valve, to fit my pump. Not even in Hyderabad, a city of 7 million people did I find one.
Old 06-21-16, 04:30 AM
gauvins

Bikes: Custom built LHT & Troll

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 843 Post(s)
Liked 149 Times in 106 Posts
Originally Posted by suburbanbeat
[..t]ires wear in very predictable ways, and with some research it should be fairly easy to predict when a tire on a long tour will need replacement.
Three weeks ago I wasted an almost new Marathon supreme (expected life measured in thousands of kms), cut along the center, approx 1 inch long, by what looked like the tip of a utility blade. Finished the day with a boot. Luckily for me I was carrying a spare as we were about to embark on a long tour.
Old 06-21-16, 04:34 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,243 Times in 621 Posts
Originally Posted by gauvins
Three weeks ago I wasted an almost new Marathon supreme (expected life measured in thousands of kms), cut along the center, approx 1 inch long, by what looked like the tip of a utility blade. Finished the day with a boot. Luckily for me I was carrying a spare as we were about to embark on a long tour.
I carry a folding tire and have used it three times plus gave to another rider once.
Our area roads have much debri because of high construction with many trucks.

Last edited by 10 Wheels; 06-21-16 at 04:46 AM.
Old 06-21-16, 06:42 AM
suburbanbeat

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gauvins
Ok, yes, I could append this statement to say that a tire typically wears predictably under circumstances. Assuming a tire hasn't been physically compromised, it should wear out gradually over time. For me, the odds of a tire being compromised are too long for me to bother packing a spare tire. But who knows? Maybe one day I'll regret that approach.
Old 06-21-16, 06:51 AM
Roughstuff
Punk Rock Lives

Location: Throughout the west in a van, on my bike, and in the forest

Bikes: Long Haul Trucker with BRIFTERS!

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 39 Posts
I pack a spare tire AND tube together coiled in my back packs. If I get a flat on a rainy miserable day I just replace the entire thing, rather than try and repair the flat or wonder if what caused the flat is still in the original tire.
Old 06-21-16, 07:26 AM
Biketouringhobo
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by i_am_you
I would pack a Spare Tire in Southern California, on the Pacific Coast Route, and I would siart with new Tires​, and my Continental Touring Plus 26X1.75 are new and 30miles on them!
Old 06-21-16, 07:15 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Dude I have ADHD I CAN"T REMEMER MY POST AND I AM 50
Don't fret, I have functional autism. Instead of not knowing anything I know waaaaaay too much to do any good.

Quit picking on the member, eh?
Old 06-21-16, 07:16 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Originally Posted by Roughstuff
I pack a spare tire AND tube together coiled in my back packs. If I get a flat on a rainy miserable day I just replace the entire thing, rather than try and repair the flat or wonder if what caused the flat is still in the original tire.
Roughstuff, would you care to see the section on political posts etc. Tom made some requests and restrictions on putting political stuff in posts and signatures.
Old 06-22-16, 07:22 AM
Biketouringhobo
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rollfast
Don't fret, I have functional autism. Instead of not knowing anything I know waaaaaay too much to do any good.

Quit picking on the member, eh?
Thanks
Old 06-22-16, 07:31 AM
tarwheel 

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
I always carry a spare tire but I'm trying my best to work it off.
Old 06-22-16, 10:47 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Thanks
Thread is likely over, OP is too. No more spares.
Old 06-22-16, 10:56 PM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts
I used to pack two spare sew ups when I toured in the 80s. Does that count? I wonder if anyone else here has toured with tubulars. Seems doubtful.

I don't think I'd bother today if touring within the US, but I would probably pack a spare if traveling internationally.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.