Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Trying to choose between these 3 road bikes?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-17, 10:38 AM
johny24

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post

Hey I am a road bike beginner and looking into buying a road in between the three I am looking at? Can someone please out of the 3 I am going to mention? Which one should I buy?

Choice 1 (My favorite looking bike) Tommaso Sentiero Compact Gravel Road Bike at $600

Choice 2: Tommaso Imola Bicycle https://tommasobikes.com/collections...ommaso-imola-1 also $600

Choice 3: KHS Flite 280 for $530 bike store was pushing this bike to me and said to me its discounted from $739 which is true (I looked at their website) FLITE 280 - KHS BicyclesKHS Bicycles

The only benefit of choice 3 is the peace of mind that is going to be fitted to me and bike is at $530 however I am unshure of the bike and compenents while the other two choice I see alot of good reviews on them.

Can someone can look at all 3 bikes and tell me which on should I get? I would be very thankful and appreciative honestly can't make my mind up

Johnny
Old 05-18-17, 10:43 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Probably insignificant difference.

at same price point new bikes are largely the same. the cost total certainly is.

#1 pick the bike shop you like, then get a bike there..
Old 05-18-17, 11:21 AM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
I like wide tires and see utility in triple cranks, so I'd probably go with choice #1.

In all reality, though, they're fairly similarly equipped, so go with the one you like best, and which fits you best. Or, if they are really keen on seeing that KHS go out the door, see how low they'll go on the price
Old 05-18-17, 11:30 AM
king_boru
The Moose

Bikes: 2016 Giant Roam 2, 2004 Norco Torrent, 1969 Raleigh Grand Prix

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I'd go #2 for a road bike. Looks pretty decent to be honest.
Old 05-18-17, 11:51 AM
supton
Cries on hills

Bikes: 2007 Trek Pilot 1.2, 1969 Raleigh Sprite 5

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What is the goal? Riding centuries, quick fast rides, picking up chicks?

I'd go with what feels good. IMO your first bike is just that, a first in a long line of bikes... if you stick with sport, anyhow. If you start biking more you'll figure out what you want.

Don't know about the terrain you ride in, but I have always ridden triples. Nice wide range, and I think they can be a bit easier to figure out shifting on (smaller jumps on the FD). That said, I recently road a CF with a compact double, and I kinda liked it. For a light & fast bike, I wouldn't mind it. That said I don't plan on changing out of my triples any time soon. All a matter of what you need and what you are comfortable with.
Old 05-18-17, 03:45 PM
johny24

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Hahahaha @supton (Picking up chicks)

You guys are awesome,

So I will be doing alot of city riding here in New York City, the only uphill I will face is crossing the Queensboro bridge and I will take the bikes to do some riding along on the paths along the beach during the summer...
Old 05-18-17, 03:51 PM
RonH
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
They all have basically the same components. If you live in a hilly area I may go with #1 or #2 since they are both triples. If hills aren't a problem then I've have to go with the KHS. Plus buying from a local bike shop you'll develop a relationship with them and they'll give you good service on the bike when it needs it.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 05-18-17, 04:04 PM
dksix

Bikes: Basso Luguna, Fuji Nevada

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4261 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
I like the Sentiero (#1), at least it would be a great +1 for me right now. Big tires, HD rims, disc brakes, triple crankset and price makes it a very attractive do everything bike.
Old 05-18-17, 04:20 PM
corrado33

Bikes: 199? Landshark Roadshark, 198? Mondonico Diamond, 1987 Panasonic DX-5000, 1987 Bianchi Limited, Univega... Chrome..., 1989 Schwinn Woodlands, Motobecane USA Record, Raleigh Tokul 2

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1131 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
One of these things is not like the other.

The first bike is most certainly what I'd consider a hybrid. It will likely be the most "comfortable" bike. It has the widest tires and the most upright riding position.

The other two are entry level road bikes. Both have wheels with 20/24 spokes, which I'm not a huge fan of for commuting/everyday riding. Components are roughly the same on both of them. the KHS has a double crankset while the other one has a triple. For NYC, you don't need a triple unless you want it.

I personally like the KHS brand and I have heard of them, so if it were me I'd go for that if the choice were between the two road bikes.

However, for your type of riding, I'd go with #1. You said nothing about wanting to "go fast" or "do group rides" so I'm assuming you just want a bike to get you around and do go on nice rides near the beach. Don't get me wrong, you can certainly go fast on #1, but you'd be able to go faster on #2 or 3.

You'll be most comfortable on #1, so you'll probably ride it the most. So that's my suggestion.
Old 05-19-17, 12:09 AM
johny24

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Corrado you are spot on!

I decided to go with Bike 1, I am not looking for speed but more of comfort and etc!
So thanks everyone for giving their input here!
Old 05-19-17, 02:50 PM
morfeeis

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
as someone who made this mistake a year ago, DONT BUY ANY OF THEM! search online and buy a higher end used bike for the same price, you will get a lot more for your money .