Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Which Hybrid for ~$1000 budget

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Which Hybrid for ~$1000 budget

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-17, 09:36 AM
king_boru
The Moose

Bikes: 2016 Giant Roam 2, 2004 Norco Torrent, 1969 Raleigh Grand Prix

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by OneForAll
I just figured riding a mountain bike with road tires would be funny to you guys that are more serious on here...

...but Im a function over form guy so looks are low on the priority list.
Then surely it shouldn't matter if the bike looks funny with road tires.

For what it's worth Giant manufacture the Trek frame. Also, it doesn't take a genius to align a QR hub and never has a wheel come off or QR broken on me. The only bike I have with through axles is my 2004 Norco Torrent. Have I ever noticed the difference? Nope. I would not base your purchasing decision on whether or not it has TA or QR. Comfort, function and how it makes you feel are more important.
Old 11-05-17, 05:26 PM
Scooty Puff Jr

Bikes: I'm a Flatbar Guy

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by king_boru
Then surely it shouldn't matter if the bike looks funny with road tires.

For what it's worth Giant manufacture the Trek frame. Also, it doesn't take a genius to align a QR hub and never has a wheel come off or QR broken on me. The only bike I have with through axles is my 2004 Norco Torrent. Have I ever noticed the difference? Nope. I would not base your purchasing decision on whether or not it has TA or QR. Comfort, function and how it makes you feel are more important.
I pointed out earlier that the Trek frames were made at the Giant factory, and there is some people out there that might have trouble mounting a QR wheel properly. . I was just pointing out that TA hubs are pretty much fool proof compared to QR.

Last edited by Scooty Puff Jr; 11-05-17 at 05:30 PM.
Old 11-10-17, 03:54 PM
sh00k

Bikes: 2011 Trek FX 7.3 | 2015 Trek FX 7.4 | Lotus Classique

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts
it's end of season - try to find a ship that has the fx s4 in your size and haggle the hell out of them. i only paid sticker for 1 of my 4 fx's but i learned to haggle to lower the price. if they dont budge much on the price, ask for add-ins to seal the deal - water bottle holders, lock or lights or something to that effect.

alternatively, you can get an fx3, haggle on that price, get some freebees tossed in and save $ for some future mods. just a thought.

last point - scour craigslist for folks with new bikes that no longer want them. present a cash offer and save a ton that way too. many people think they love cycling, spend hundreds/thousands on a bike and then dont use it anymore. this is the person you're trying to find. you get the most bike for your money this way, obviously
Old 11-13-17, 04:13 AM
Juggy_Gales

Bikes: 2018 Giant Toughroad SLR2

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Im test riding a Toughroad SLR tomorrow.. The Bike I will be buying will be under your price point..

But I will say.. My next Bike if I can afford it.. may indeed be the Fastroad.. Equipped well.. and I hear many people raving about it and how fast it is.
Old 11-13-17, 04:19 AM
Juggy_Gales

Bikes: 2018 Giant Toughroad SLR2

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by sh00k
it's end of season - try to find a ship that has the fx s4 in your size and haggle the hell out of them. i only paid sticker for 1 of my 4 fx's but i learned to haggle to lower the price. if they dont budge much on the price, ask for add-ins to seal the deal - water bottle holders, lock or lights or something to that effect.

alternatively, you can get an fx3, haggle on that price, get some freebees tossed in and save $ for some future mods. just a thought.

last point - scour craigslist for folks with new bikes that no longer want them. present a cash offer and save a ton that way too. many people think they love cycling, spend hundreds/thousands on a bike and then dont use it anymore. this is the person you're trying to find. you get the most bike for your money this way, obviously

Considering the Giant Toughroad SLR2 is $890 and currently stretching the budget.. I am going to try to haggle with them.. and considering I brought in a friend this passing weekend to buy a bike at their store.. with add ons like bottle holder and seat.. I will add that as an incentive to give me a better Price.. I think The Toughroad SLR2 will be a better buy than the Roam, Escape or the Talon I was looking at.. sweet looking machine..