Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction 2021.2

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction 2021.2

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-21, 02:53 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10397 Post(s)
Liked 11,856 Times in 6,071 Posts
Mrs. GeneJockey didn't want The Boys, who are in their late 20s, to know we could track them. I pointed out that, when we were that age, the closest our parents came to knowing our whereabouts was that they knew our addresses.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 05-05-21, 02:54 PM
abshipp 

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 2020 Holdsworth Competition, 2022 Giant Trance 29 3

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 3350 Post(s)
Liked 3,614 Times in 1,239 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Vol
I've never actually been in Greenville (just drove by on I-26), but I imagine the cycling there is substantially similar there as here, being that it's basically on the other side of the mountains.
I concur, based on the three times I have driven through Knoxville.
Old 05-05-21, 02:56 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

I'm taking some time off from work, and I'm discovering the difference between Working From Home, and a Staycation is not really that big. I'm still answering emails and phone calls, which, fortunately, are more limited. But I took the big dog for a walk, which made him the happiest 11 year old puppy in California.

Old 05-05-21, 03:15 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Speaking of tubulars (You weren't? Well, I was!), my plan for dealing with flats was to carry a spare tire, but also to carry a little bottle of sealant and a valve core wrench, so if I got a flat I could dump some in, blow the tire up and let it seal itself. So I got what I assumed from the picture would be 'a little bottle of sealant'. Turns out 8 oz. is not a small bottle at all! If I put that, and a folded tubular tire in my jersey pockets, it'll weigh it down too much!

Oops. I gotta find a smaller bottle.......

Old 05-05-21, 03:53 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22573 Post(s)
Liked 8,919 Times in 4,153 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
Speaking of tubulars (You weren't? Well, I was!), my plan for dealing with flats was to carry a spare tire, but also to carry a little bottle of sealant and a valve core wrench, so if I got a flat I could dump some in, blow the tire up and let it seal itself. So I got what I assumed from the picture would be 'a little bottle of sealant'. Turns out 8 oz. is not a small bottle at all! If I put that, and a folded tubular tire in my jersey pockets, it'll weigh it down too much!

Your choice, but I think a spare tire (prestretched and a little glue on it) should be enough. Call of shame is easier than big bottle of goo that might not work anyway.

extra credit if you stash the spare tire, folded up, under your saddle with an old toe strap.

edit: I suspect you know, but first fold of tire should be backing strip to backing strip. That will maximize glue effect.
Likes For datlas:
Old 05-05-21, 03:58 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8261 Post(s)
Liked 8,997 Times in 4,456 Posts
Originally Posted by seedsbelize
I have never used my car heater. I don't even know if it has one.
I had a Corvair which, being air cooled, uses a heat exchanger on the exhaust manifold to supply cabin heat. The engine leaked oil onto the exhaust where it burned into a black char which the defroster would blow into my face while driving and it looked as though someone had twisted a pepper mill over me.

Another benefit of this was the huge volume of smoke that would pour out of the car after I parked it and people would warn me that my car was on fire. I put new push rod tube o rings in which fixed the leak until I let the car sit for some time and they dried out and started leaking again.
Old 05-05-21, 04:00 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts

8oz?! I use 1.5oz of sealant in my 28s.
Old 05-05-21, 04:04 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Quoted: 22573 Post(s)
Liked 8,919 Times in 4,153 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
Your choice, but I think a spare tire (prestretched and a little glue on it) should be enough. Call of shame is easier than big bottle of goo that might not work anyway.

extra credit if you stash the spare tire, folded up, under your saddle with an old toe strap.

edit: I suspect you know, but first fold of tire should be backing strip to backing strip. That will maximize glue effect.
Here is a decent video that explains it all.

Old 05-05-21, 04:46 PM
Jack Tone 

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 165 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
In 2018 I took a bike tour from St. Albans, VT home to Philly, with a weekend stop in W. Mass for my 35th high school reunion. Near the end of the trip I was camping in a state forest in NJ that borders the Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area. As I was riding back to my site from the bathhouse a young cub came up the river bank and walked across the campground road maybe 20' in front of me. Clearly had been born that winter/spring. Fully expected so see mom next, but she never materialized. Hope the poor thing was not orphaned.

In 2017 I came face to face with a giant one at about 30' in NW PA as I was about put on my helmet and switch on my lights to leave camp. It had raided the dumpsters earlier in the morning. Fortunately, both of us were not looking for a fight, but what a way to start a morning of cycling. I guesstimate he was at leas 600 lbs. We grow 'em big in PA.
You're lucky he was full.
Old 05-05-21, 04:49 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4926 Post(s)
Liked 8,059 Times in 3,810 Posts
Moderna #2. You are in me.
Old 05-05-21, 04:52 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Originally Posted by big john
I had a Corvair which, being air cooled, uses a heat exchanger on the exhaust manifold to supply cabin heat. The engine leaked oil onto the exhaust where it burned into a black char which the defroster would blow into my face while driving and it looked as though someone had twisted a pepper mill over me.

Another benefit of this was the huge volume of smoke that would pour out of the car after I parked it and people would warn me that my car was on fire. I put new push rod tube o rings in which fixed the leak until I let the car sit for some time and they dried out and started leaking again.
I believe they call that "The Corvair Experience", which is a tiny bit different than "The Porsche Experience" (https://www.porschedriving.com/los-angeles).
Old 05-05-21, 05:15 PM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 780 Post(s)
Quoted: 28577 Post(s)
Liked 1,849 Times in 1,313 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
Moderna #2. You are in me.
Uh oh.
Old 05-05-21, 05:31 PM
big john

I believe they call that "The Corvair Experience", which is a tiny bit different than "The Porsche Experience" (https://www.porschedriving.com/los-angeles).
Another thing it would do is vapor lock. I didn't even think it was a real thing until that car. Drive somewhere on a warm day, park for 20-30 minutes, then try to drive. It would start fine and run until the fuel in the carburetors was gone and it would shut off because the fuel in the lines was boiling.
The first time it happened I had taken this young lady to lunch and the car quit in the street on our way back to my job. We took the bus back to my job where her car was and never went out again.
Old 05-05-21, 05:34 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Originally Posted by big john
Another thing it would do is vapor lock. I didn't even think it was a real thing until that car. Drive somewhere on a warm day, park for 20-30 minutes, then try to drive. It would start fine and run until the fuel in the carburetors was gone and it would shut off because the fuel in the lines was boiling.
The first time it happened I had taken this young lady to lunch and the car quit in the street on our way back to my job. We took the bus back to my job where her car was and never went out again.
Apparently, you can add "c**k-blocker" to its list of features and benefits.
Old 05-05-21, 05:40 PM
big john

Apparently, you can add "c**k-blocker" to its list of features and benefits.
lol
Old 05-05-21, 05:42 PM
phrantic09
Fat n slow

Bikes: Cervelo R3, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3254 Post(s)
Liked 2,081 Times in 978 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Same

Challenge makes a tubeless tubular tire now. Worst of both worlds?
Old 05-05-21, 05:56 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

I was always a sucker for extra credit.

Side effect of using tape is not having glue lying around. But the internet assures me that you can get home with an unglued, but well-pumped tire.

Old 05-05-21, 05:58 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Here is a decent video that explains it all.

https://youtu.be/mPP2gtcctvE
Way ahead of you. I watched that, then went through the whole thing again, backing up and rewatching as needed while folding the tire. Just happened to have a crapload of big rubberbands.

Old 05-05-21, 06:07 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Originally Posted by WhyFi
Hence my need for a smaller bottle. I got a couple nice little bottles with nozzles when I got my new ball bearings for hubs, and honestly the nozzle on those bottles is just silly - what am I gonna do, squirt the bearings out? So I might transfer the bearings to an old prescription bottle (because 35mm film cannisters no longer exist in nature) and use the nozzle bottle for sealant to carry with.

So, today's ride I carried the spare, strapped under the seat as you see above. I didn't take the sealant and valve core wrench, because of the size of the bottle. Rode ~26 miles, no tire incidents. Got home, and in the process of putting the bike away, discovered I'd left the frame pump at home, having taken it off so I could attach the tail light to the seat tube under the seat cluster, because I took the Varia and between the tire and the Varia there was no real estate left on the seatpost.

I'd have felt pretty damn silly if I got a flat, pulled the old tire off, stretched the new one into place, and then discovered I had no means of inflating it!!

So perhaps I need a "Why Not Neither?" meme.

Old 05-05-21, 06:16 PM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

We've found some people who out-did WhyFi

Old 05-05-21, 06:57 PM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

I am trying to encourage my patients to get it but they come up with stupid excuses and I can't overcome their irrational arguments.

Sad!
Good luck competing with this.

Likes For Velo Vol:
Old 05-05-21, 07:28 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Good luck competing with this.
Apparently, for a large segment of the population, hearing from their own doctor is THE ONE THING that can get them to get vaccinated. Not dying, not getting sick, not making other sick is not enough for them.

Old 05-05-21, 07:37 PM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

Bikes: Have two wheels

Mentioned: 169 Post(s)
Quoted: 13694 Post(s)
Liked 4,520 Times in 2,499 Posts
Originally Posted by abshipp
Oof.

​​​​​​

I got taken up over Paris Mountain this afternoon by my boss. I would have really liked a 30 or a 32 in the back so I wasn't mashing so much.

I had to stop twice. The first was about halfway up in an attempt to keep my heart rate under control, but that proved futile since it just keeps getting steeper towards the top. It was also much warmer than I'm used to riding in and it got pretty stifling at points.

I blew up about 50 yards away from the end of the climb - maybe I could have made it if I knew that the end was so close. Turns out my max heart rate is at least 198bpm

The descent sure was fun though!
Kudos
Likes For rjones28:
Old 05-05-21, 07:40 PM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Apparently, for a large segment of the population, hearing from their own doctor is THE ONE THING that can get them to get vaccinated. Not dying, not getting sick, not making other sick is not enough for them.
See post #2752
Old 05-05-21, 07:47 PM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7081 Post(s)
Liked 901 Times in 612 Posts
I've had mine on since October. There's been days when I turned the fan off, but the temperature dial has been pointed at red the last seven months.

I've never actually been in Greenville (just drove by on I-26), but I imagine the cycling there is substantially similar there as here, being that it's basically on the other side of the mountains.
The bear went over the mountain.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.